[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's discuss the music scene in your city. >How is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 17
File: 0000553900_10.jpg (134 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
0000553900_10.jpg
134 KB, 960x640
Let's discuss the music scene in your city.

>How is the local talent? Any favorite groups?
>House shows? Basements? DIY spaces?
>Do national acts tour through your area often?
>Any interesting subcultures?
>Is there college radio available?
>Any favorite record stores?

Also ask about other cities you may be curious about.
>>
lots of shitty noise and hardcore bands people go see perform in basements as an excuse to get fucked up
>>
San Francisco.
1. Mostly garage rock shit. A lot of them moved away in recent years tho. Flensor Records is the shit. My favorite group is The Bilinda Butchers (they are like radio dept. kinda but with a shit name)
2. Yes there is all of these things.
3. Bands never scoff San Francisco or Oakland unless they are fuckin assholes
4. is rich white art student a subculture?
5. USF has a good college radio sometimes
6. Amoeba Records is fun to get lost in for hours
>>
I'll get things started with Tallahassee, FL.

>Few good hardcore/punk bands, a handful of talented songwriters, some electronic/noise acts as well.
>Lots of house shows, opening a DIY space later this week! Very stoked.
>Campus venue hosts touring bands; had Ty Segall, Kurt Vile, Cloud Nothings in the past year.
>College radio is very alive 24 hours a day, hosting live in-studio performances and 30,000+ CDs and records.
>Only one record store, decent selection but still a young business.

I'll answer any other questions about this city if ya got any.
>>
File: 138352583686.gif (2 MB, 295x211) Image search: [Google]
138352583686.gif
2 MB, 295x211
>only band in my city is metal
>country everywhere
>6 people who enjoy alternative bands
>10 metalheads, five in the band
>no record store, no radio except country and EDM, all pubs and clubs play house/EDM/country
>the only way to survive is throwing party's at houses with only 6 people
>>
>>49943070
champaign il?
>>
>>49943202
n
>>
>>49943070
>>49943169
At least post the city you're in, sheesh!
>>
Barrie Ontario music scene might as well be non existent. No house shows. No shows in general. It used to be pretty cool, a couple hardcore bands that had potential. & a lot of awesome bands were coming through (Stray From The Path, Counterparts, Architects, A Sight For Sewn Eyes, Dead & Divine)

Only 2 bands I can think of that have come out of Barrie that are worth listening to.
The Afterimage
The Parallel.

The parallel is only in there because it's my buddies band. They're signed to some DIY label I believe, but they haven't put out much yet.
>>
>>49943005
Orange, CA/LA, CA
>I enjoy bands like Quiet Man, The Shrills, Criminal Hygiene. Ugly Kids. Nothing else comes to mind.
>Quite a few of them. Went to a house show once that serves 50 cent beers and 25 cent bong rips. Also went to a show that took place entirely in a drained pool with a roof built on top of it.
>Of course
>Lot of hardcore kids and burger kids. Nothing incredibly interesting.
>Not aware of that, but the zine Razorcake comes out of LA and it's one of my favorite zines next to Rubberneck
>Nothing really comes to mind.
>>
>Let's discuss the music scene in your city.
It's non-existent as far as I'm aware. Which is a shame because >tfwnomusicbuddies
>>
Phoenix
>Nothing
>>
>>49943083
I'm playing gainsstreet fest up there this year. Played last year as well. My band is from south florida
>>
File: 1269969892693.png (15 KB, 497x501) Image search: [Google]
1269969892693.png
15 KB, 497x501
>>49943252
>Went to a house show once that serves 50 cent beers and 25 cent bong rips. Also went to a show that took place entirely in a drained pool with a roof built on top of it.
Glorious. Were these college parties or what?
>>
>>49943252
Holy heck there are more /mu/tants from Orange County than I thought
>>
>>49943289
Sick, I was there last year and plan on being there this year again. Care to share your band, anon?
>>
Reno, NV here there are a couple of really amazing local bands but most of the venues in town are horrible and its a chore finding a good show, my personal favorite

http://dsix.bandcamp.com/album/alphabet-cult

they remind me a lot of Fugazi, have this cassette in my car at all times but honestly the quality of the recordings are shit
>>
>>49943300
Honestly I'd rather not. I'm pretty ashamed of the whole going on 4chan thing and I hide it from all my friends. were playing at night though and i'm pretty excited
>>
Stephenville, TX
>Mostly shitty country or shitty metal. There's a alt rock/progressive band called Fervent Roze that's pretty decent, but no one else is worth mentioning.
>Nope, nope, and nope. We only have two bars that bands play at, and it's mostly just country.
>Sometimes Toadies come around, and we have the Larry Joe Taylor fest every year that has some decent folk country acts (a lot of people just go to get hammered), but the rest is just fucking country and occasionally metalcore.
>Yes, but they don't really play anything outside of the ordinary. The most indie shit they play is fucking Radiohead.
>They have Hastings and Wal-Mart. That's it.

I fucking hate it here.
>>
Los angeles is huge, but i'll talk about what i've got/seen
Tons of local fusiony kinda bands there's this weird scene for like animals as leaders and instrumental kinda bands, 100 Onces (who played arcTanGent) and Sketch Orchestra are kinda the big two of that
There's also some Punk stuff going around, but the majority of punk bands i've seen usually play with really old punk bands from the eighties that never left (like I've Sacchrine trust in a 50 person occupancy space, alongside some newish punk bands)
Again LA is huge, But Bonnerhaus is my favorite, fucking Trioscapes played there
indoubtley
the weird fusiony thing is interesting, though i hates it, The southbay metal scene is really lame, but there's so many southbay metalheads its weird how bad it is.
yea, i think its like LMU's college radio is the coolest, they just play whatever the hell they want and sometimes its beautiful, sometimes its audio excersise tapes, its interesting no matter what
The last record store is alright, Ameoba is still the king forever tho
>>
San diego area here. Its pretty good, though its less of a "scene" and more of like a bunch of good but wildly different bands

Im playing a show on saturday with my shoegaze/slowcore band, and the lineup is a post hardcore band, a poppy dance punk band, and a dreamy psychedelic punky surfgaze band.

If you go to san diego you can see anyone when they come through, though sometimes they stop up in LA, which sucks. I gotta see that drive like jesu reunion for free though

As far as subcultures go, i remember once the surfgaze band played a show at a record store, and there was this weird secret hiphop show going on next door in a karate dojo or some shit

There are three rad record stores near where i am, Lou's in encinitas, Spin in carlsbad(great selection but they open every record and keep it behind he counter to prevent theft, which is weird. Nice tape collection though), and standards(which plays a lot of shows)
>>
File: Willy.jpg (50 KB, 630x390) Image search: [Google]
Willy.jpg
50 KB, 630x390
>>49943005
We got the mummies, supercharger, the trashwomen. problem is, there's this dude who pulls his cock out a lot. pretends it's a guitar, and ruins the night for all of us. lots of great shows @ tom guido's purple onion, semen aside.

there's this up and coming band from sacto called the lil' bunnies. they are amazing. and like four 16 year old girls whose dad has huge hollywood ins called the donnas. they have a song about beverly hills 90210 which is AMAZING.

that being said, greg lowery is fat and totally gullible re: prank calls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9YnVxRzCuc
>>
>>49943325
Meh it's not that weird, dude. Might be cool since I'm originally from Miami but, anyway, see you there man.
>>
>>49943342
oh also the rap scene here is crazy weird
since everykid with a laptop can do it theres like a million shows, a million rappers
my buddy is in this one called FBGT http://fbgt.bandcamp.com/
there's been house shows, alley shows, garage shows, and they're all hype as fuck
>>
1. I'm from the Pittsburgh area. Not a lot of great music going on here. The scene is pretty bland, but I have a friend who is in two really good bands.

http://amplifiersmakenoise.bandcamp.com Very good alternaprog

http://everyonehasredhands.bandcamp.com/ I'm not a fan of Glassjaw, but I hear them compared a lot. Good shit anyway.

2. To my knowledge, not a whole lot. I'm associated with a couple hippie folk acts, and they get into these sorts of things, but it's more of a community than a music scene.

3. Major city, so, yeah, although we get passed in favor of Philly pretty often.

4. Back to the hippie thing, it's very much a big community subculture. Lots of love and nature and drugs and music.

5. No idea.

6. I'm way too cool to shop in person. Actually I just don't enjoy shopping. For anything.
>>
File: skip-bayless.jpg (40 KB, 729x559) Image search: [Google]
skip-bayless.jpg
40 KB, 729x559
>>49943282
you just haven't been invited. must be your personality. or your taste.

do you go to "concerts" or "shows"?
>>
>>49943070
>>49943228
western mass
>>
Berlin
>There are lots of artists here. Have no fav atm
>Lots of. You need to know the right people to know the "secret" parties, often in abandoned and/or hidden locations. In the past there were more of them but they still exist.
>Yes, there are international artists performing here.
>most interesting scenes: Techno and electronic music in general
>dunno.
>Hardwax, but there are some other great stores as well
>>
Calgary Canada
>there are a couple band that are good i guess, all no names no one hears consistently
>no house/basement shows
>not really any major sub cultures
>CJSW and a technical school mainly talk station. CJSW is good
>there are only 3 (sloth, heritage, hot wax)
>>
>>49943604
A cool band called Fall City Fall came out of Calgary, saw them live last year they were really good.
>>
>>49943349
we've got The Frights who are a pretty tight reverbcore surf rock group, and Inspired and the Sleep who are like some psych pop stuff

both pretty good groups, both local SD so thats cool

whats your band?
>>
>>49943342
Los Angeles friend!
You can't forget the smell, a really great venue for artists, I tried going Sunday but they sold out. I wish I knew more people into music here. Seeing nmh next Thursday saw swans Thursday last.
>>
File: CWU-CampusAerial.jpg (82 KB, 672x400) Image search: [Google]
CWU-CampusAerial.jpg
82 KB, 672x400
>it's pretty decent. We've got Star Anna and the Screaming Trees that came out of here. Also some smaller bands right now that really kick some ass
>There are two pretty cool venues to rent for shows. But I haven't really seen too many houseshows
>They go through my town on the way to the Gorge. Future Islands have played here though, and Too Short.
>There is a station but it's changed to mainly top 40 over the past few years, but they do have some shows where they play more college rock and rap and whatnot
>We have one used record shop and you can find some pretty cool stuff there.

pic related: its the local university
>>
>>49943668
My band is called cloud mammoth

Were actually playing with inspired and the sleep saturday, i guess they arent really dancepunk tho ha. You should come out broh
>>
>>49943503
I used to go to shows in Northampton all the time but they haven't had a good show there in years.
>>
>>49943804
oh party time excellent at muscle manor?

i was plannin to but i got work from 3pm - 11 so thats kinda gay

have a good time tho, i'll check out ur stuff
>>
>>49943655
Tegan and Sara, Micheal Bernard Fitzgerald, and the 3 bands a year from exposure (radio thing) are all decent. I have some friends in a metal band "Dwarf in the Flask" that I like
>>
>>49943005

>The local talent is extremely lacking. Hardcore RESPECT IN THE PIT UNITY BROTHERHOOD bros are the majority. Pop punk weenies and A Day to Remember derivitaves are the other chunk. A couple acoustic acts that are lackluster, and that's about it. Very few groups that are good enough to be a favorite. Dr. Dorian, a 2 person instrumental jam band was interesting, Illinoise is another because they could actually play their instruments. Swear to god half of these bands could just show up to their shows with the bottom string of their instruments and suffer nothing.
>couple basements, a bowling alley rec room, the one decent(meaning they didn't book hardcore shows) DIY venue closed down last year, tons of coffee shops that only book acoustic performances
>national acts as in shitty genericore bands only teenage girls know tour through the area. farewell my love/incredible me/jamie's elsewhere came through and acted like complete cunts to everyone. They were mad that the venue was in a room connected to a bowling alley, so had all their fans come out to where they parked their uhauls and hang out, instead of watching the 10 other bands playing the local music festival they were supposed to headline. Fuck them.
>If hardcore caveman retards punching people in the head is a subculture, sure.
>probably for Valparaiso University, but i don't listen nor have I looked.
>There's a used music/video game/movie store that just sells reprints of classic rock.

I sincerely hate NWI.
>>
>>49943005
Fuck you for assuming I'm living in a city
I don't know anything about anything about Richmond (the closest city to me) and have know way of learning anything about it because I have no connections of any kind and any few people I actually know are pleb

Also plan 9 in carytown is a cool record store/the only record store
>>
>>49943349
619 fag here. I concur...there's jack shit here and everyone stops in fucking LA.
>tfw seeing primus in escondido though
Fucking finally.
>>
>>49943005

Stockholm, Sweden

It's dogshit, just awful metal bands and DJs

No idea, maybe

Yes

Just hipsters

Not that I know of

A buy-and-sell vinyl store downtown
>>
PROVIDENCE RI

>Incredible. Lightning Bolt/Black Pus, Daughters, tons of noise people. tons of hardcore, etc
>DIY spaces thrive because the city doesn't give a shit unless someone is seriously injured
>Kind of but it's really just whoever takes interest in the DIY shows, and recently that's been growing to include people within the music scene as well as kids just looking for shit to do
>95.5 WBRU and it's fucking abysmal
>Armageddon Shop, Newbury Comics, Olympia Records

Anyone else from Prov? Going to PUFFERSS this weekend?
>>
>>49943831
i'm in your area
>>
>>49943851
Aw dang well next time dude. We'll get more shows soon
>>
>>49943925
Also, forgot one

>touring acts often skip Prov due to a history of shitass promoters, but it's been getting much better the past few years, a lot of them coming back
>>
>>49943927
>>49943831
I'm like 2 hours south of you guys

Has that scene basically been killed by the internet buzz? It seems like it's full of the types who are up their own ass now that p4k has given them minor attention.
>>
>>49943005
Connecticut's scene is pretty cool imo.
>>How is the local talent? Any favorite groups?
Theres a lot of good local hardcore, pop punk, and emo, and a handful of good metal bands. Theres a lot of shitty bands too though.
>>House shows? Basements? DIY spaces?
I've been to a lot of house shows lately, and theres a bunch of DIY type venues near New Haven. The Space in hamden is probably my favorite of any of them
>>Do national acts tour through your area often?
Yeah, Toads Place in New Haven is great for that. Theres also 4 or 5 mega venues and arenas where bigger acts play, but those places are lame as fuck.
>>Any interesting subcultures?
hipsters and weirdos
>>Is there college radio available?
no idea
>>Any favorite record stores?
Redscroll, Willimantic records, Gerosa.
>>
Olympia, Wa

>Historically great local scene. Currently the electronic stuff is my favorite, but there are quite a few punk and hipstery rock bands. There's a jazz/ blues bar that has music 80% of the time. Some neofolk, noise, drone and experimental stuff to be found on occasion. Also frequent metal shows if that's your thing - black metal, thrash, doom etc.
>Punk and indie rock house shows are very popular and frequent. Most shows are in bars (which are pretty great and divey here)
>No "big" acts. Wolves in the Throne Room played recently, but they're local. Earth has apparently passed through before. However Seattle is 1 hour away and Portland is 2 hours.
>Methies. Tons of them. Musically though, idk. Music is big here in general, so there's a blend of dress and culture that's not distinctive to any one genre.
>Kaos Radio is pretty good!
>Rainy Day Records is small, but legit. They have a nice electronic music section that's kept up to date.

Great town if you don't want to live in a big city, but have a lot of options for shows. I'd rather have large cities available for visiting instead of living there.
>>
>>49943865

And expanding upon this further, if you're not genericore/pop punk, good fucking luck getting a fanbase. Any shows with minimal hardcore retards are in Chicago/Joliet, so that's a 90-120 minute drive from our area. What that means, is none of your friends/family/fanbase will really want to go... like at all. So you'll struggle to do a presale, fail miserably and have to pay the presale difference because no one wants to drive 2 hours to see you play for 30 minutes, have to.

While I'm on it, fuck presale. The other 4 local bands and mine sold the required amount of tickets, and brought the crowd. The shitty headliner "Close to Home" didn't bring a single god damn person, but they're the ones touring/getting paid/getting free food.

I am so god damn salty.
>>
File: 1409810208216.png (1 MB, 2000x2080) Image search: [Google]
1409810208216.png
1 MB, 2000x2080
>>49943927
im from steroid waldo's domain, see>>49943971
but noho is like 30 minutes away so it was always super convenient to see shows there. Also,
>dat Local Burger
>>
>>49943971
Every time I've wanted to drive out for a show at the Space my plans have fallen through, how is that place?
>>
Melbourne, Australia.
>Depends on what scene you're focusing on. Always been a large punk scene, tends to be average. But there are some great bands and collectives going around. Tehachapi were probably the best band this city every produced, unfortunately they broke up like 2 years ago or last year, can't remember. Also shouts out to those involved in the HAARP group they put of some great shows.
>They exist, don't really hit them up though. Dubstep warehouse gigs were big for a while and a lot of trash rock bands play house parties trying to chase that DZ Deathrays dream. Fuck I OH U they're killing local music by promoting the worst shit.
>There is a small drone/noise/ambient scene that I'm involved in and somewhat centres around my body of work (I say this because no one was releasing anything until I put 3 or 4 albums out then all of a sudden people on SC are messaging me) but I refuse to collaborate with anyone though. Other than that not really.
>Yes but lol.
>nah.
>>
>>49943969
i always have a problem with the personalities in scenes so i don't want to chalk it up to that. it's more that the bands are all just ripping off old shit in a boring way and nobody really cares. these guys just want to be in a band. they don't care about the music. (at least the shows i've been going to -- maybe i need to find better venues)
>>
>>49944010
local burg is still great. i wish i were enjoying the shows more though.
>>
>>49944046

Better than Sydney
We have a few jazz bars

Yeah
>>
>>49944046
it really depresses me how your awesome garage scene has given way to unbearable buttrock

King Gizard is the only one that made it outside of Australia :/
>>
>>49943292

Just house shows.
>>
Good. Whiskey and Speed are cool. Not overly familiar with too many other locals tho

Probably. I do know a few DIY art spaces, not music tho

Yeah. Seeing Iceage this Friday

Not so much interesting, though there is a fairly healthy punk culture here, and grunge revival/garage rock stuff

Don't think so.

Not too many to choose from, the biggest (Rockinghorse) isn't too interesting
>>
Perth, Australia
Pretty diverse actually, considering the circumstances. You got anything from indie pop bullshit through to raw chaotic hardcore and some other shit no one cares about because hey, it's Perth
>>
>>49944046
Dude, you guys have the Stiffys. Mad jelly.
>>
>>49944105
Oh yeah, can't forget to mention bush doofs
>>
>>49943503
Used to be somewhat similar on the cape but there aren't that many shows anymore
>>
>>49944011
Its a cozy little place they sever burritos and shit, and the bar at the outer space has a great craft beer selection. They almost always have re entry so you can walk back and forth to the bar between bands.
Only downside is if you're in the back when its crowded you wont see shit
>>49944083
I know. I Still go up there all the time just for burgers and records but its been a year or two since ive seen a show at any of the IHEG venues. Pyka is playing in florence on sunday and i've been meaning to see them.
>>
>>49944171
the Cape just seems like old people/vacationing upper middle class families

I'm sure something could thrive there if someone opened a space, I know I'm always bored as fuck when I go there.
>>
>>49943670
yea fuck i keep meaning to go to the smell but i always forget about it
there were a few other really lo press places in la like the smell if i remeber right
like the vivan girls played theyre last show in this fucking cool catheral thing that never has shows
>>
>>49944179
*serve.
idk how or why a venue would sever burritos.
>>
>>49944105
What city
>>
>>49944219
This is the kind of typo you don't correct. I'm fucking cackling.
>>
File: PAN i'm PRI.jpg (48 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
PAN i'm PRI.jpg
48 KB, 615x409
>Guadalajara, Mexico
>Only shitty bands, fucking awful bands to be honest
>Not really we have really almost no worthwhile artists coming here
>Lots of hipsters, ska kids and metalheads, and of course the fucking "circuiteros" EDM trash faggots the whole lot of them
>We do have some record stores
>>
I don't even think there is any music from where I live.

Haderslev, Denmark, can anyone help? I doubt it.
>>
Louisville
>implying it's a scene
Talent's alright. Most of the bands here gear towards the -cores or wanky performance art. Some hip-hop and r&b, but definitely dwarfed. Corporate/Cover bands from there. A couple of decent bands among them (Artifex Pereo is decent, I fucking miss The Merediths). I keep waiting for the current flock to start doing bluegrasscore or whatever the fuck. There's something obviously in the pipeline that'll explode in about five or ten years, but for now it feels like lines are being drawn and maintained in the sand. There's this weird feeling that a lot of kids who never got good at their instruments are becoming embittered 20-something threshold guardians.
>Big acts through YUM, good mid-tier shit usually through the Brown or Headliners, local bands play Bearnos
>We get Dadcore and the occasional Miley, a smattering of smaller bands too. Had Gillian Welch/Dave Rawlings and Nick Cave (both acts I fucking hate that I missed) recently, might go downtown for Sean Rowe tonight actually.
No real subcultures I can think of that matter. I feel like there's a weird goth scene here and Kentucky's got this weird Otaku thing going on in general. The artists worth their salt get out.
>There's a high school station, U of L subsidizes the NPR affiliates I believe but aside from the classical station doesn't seem to have much sway
Fuck, man. Our Great Escape is okay but hardly a record store (just a shadow of the Nashville locations; still better than the one in Bowling Green, though, fuck that place). Ear X-tacy is gone. Ladyland is a load of shit.
>>
>>49944225
Brisbane
>>
>>49944087
Had the opportunity to see them play at La Trobe's Eagle Bar when I attended there but was like "nah I hate the Eagle and everyone in it". Bad move but whatcha gonna do.

>>49944141
I think they were at some show I was at but left before hand.

>>49944084
Not to mention Bar Kylie! But yeah Sydney's a great place to stop for McDonalds on your way to anywhere else in Australia.
>>
>>49943760
>ellensburg
>decent

god i hate that city
>>
Helsinki, Finland

1. Boring. Most smaller bands lack their own sound, as they try to imitate bigger foreign bands. And they usually sing in english because they want success outside Finland, which just results in shitty boring lyrics.
2. For bands I don't really know any, probably a few here and there. Underground electronic parties almost every weekend.
3. A lot of american indie bands skip Helsinki and tour the Oslo/Stockholm/Copenhagen route, which sucks. Most "world" tours go through here, Elton John to Miley Cyrus. Fair amount of japanese acts and smaller european underground names. Recently there's been a lot big electronic names here, but that's mostly mainstream shit.
4. There's a solid psytrance scene here, with underground parties in forests and places like that. A lot of artists around the world love to come play here. Metal is pretty big. Then you have the reggae/hipster/rap crowd, which have their own bars/clubs. The underground electronic music scene is generally pretty big, none of that edm shit.
5. Not that I know of, but there's at least one good one that focuses only on the underground subcultures.
6. No favorites really, but there are few smaller ones scattered around

So if I want electronic music, I stay here. If I want to see my favorite indie bands, I go Stockholm, Amsterdam or Berlin
>>
>>49943670
Not op but I'm an LA guy. I was at the Swans show last thursday right in the front. I also frequent the smell. Weird to hear of people I've probably seen on the net
>>
>>49944301
we have the best theatre though
>>
>>49944324
90s Finland produced some of the best and most unique death metal ever recorded
>>
Seattle, WA

I've only moved here a few years ago, but it's pretty great in my experience. Lots of punk and electronica. The emo scene is getting pretty big, too. Also the nice variety of venues is a plus. Yeah, not everything that gets put out is good, but at least there's a lot of stuff out there. It doesn't really feel overcrowded like I'd imagine somewhere like LA would be.
>>
>>49944257
Vordinborg, Denmark.
>Trentemoller.
>no
>no
>no
>no
>no record stores

also, trentemoller left.
>>
Wollongong, Australia

There's a pretty good hardcore scene going on at the moment, as well as some indie stuff like hockey dad.

We get a lot of bands come through international and national. I saw Blink 182 (my first concert) when I was 6 here. SO yeah I can't complain I'm enjoying the music scene here.
>>
>>49944257
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOIyOaKqyIs
6100! Hatecity
>>
Estonia - Indie bands, shitty metal bands and many Flume/Flying Lotus wannabes.
>>
>>49943252
>>49943342
>>49943349
who here?
>>
>>49943604
>>49943604

Agreed. Sled island and Folk Fest does a decent job of bringing in some known acts but even then you'll only recognize them if you do your research or are into that stuff.

Lately, there's been more edm festivals which im okay with but i feel they purely for profits rather rather an emerging niche, much like you typical dadrock and top 40 act, assuming they don't skip for Edmonton or more likely Vancouver.

Unfortunately support here is still in its infancy, and without proper collaboration from all aspects if the city, it will never become significant.

Tldr Calgary is just upscale bars no imagination.
>>
Any Hobart cunts on? Moved down here, have no idea what local acts are decent.
>>
>>49945041
Wollongong here too.
>>
Adelaide, Australia. It's god-awful. I'd be reluctant to even call it a 'scene'.

Banished Souls Ov Forbidden Desire are from here, for reference.
>>
>>49945426
who?
>>
>>49945430
The fucking pig head band.
>>
>>49945426
Mark of Cain are touring again. I haven't listened to them since I was an edgemaster early teen and all my CDs are a 1000 kms away. Can anybody that's listened to them recently give a review?
>>
Serbia here, Nis if anyone know where it is... probably not... 3rd largest city.

The scene is shit. The local scene (and the country-wide) is either post-punk, pop-punk, or all deviations of punk, heroin rap or crescendo-based post-rock. Not that many, say, shoegaze, trip hop or prog acts, let alone ambient or IDM.
We're largely ignored when it comes to show because the capital is playing a game of Monopoly.
> but anon we have a jazz festival
The largest in this part of Europe. And that's nice.
>>
hey I'm a washington D.C. area musician, but have no idea how to access the local scene (or if there is one). could I get some tips? I don't care about playing shows or anything, with my music that'd be very hard, but I at least want to be able to go to shit and meet people.
>>
I'll take my area instead of my city. Southern Limburg, Netherlands.

A lot of small bands starting up but only very few of them actually make music that provides some sort of quality. Music initiative De Nieuwe Nor bring music to three stages, one being a very small one which has lesser known but fun bands on there (recently saw The Bots there), one stage which is not huge but kind of okay-is (bands liek The Levellers and Moss play here) and one big stage for big names (most recently the Kaiser Chiefs).

The music scene is really something that started in the last 5-10 years or so, but it's been getting pretty good recently.
>>
Shithole in sweden
Shit, generic house dj's, a grunge band and shit tier singer/songwriters
None. There was a place that held rap battles n shit but they stopped
Never.
Extreme feminists and hipsters
Nope, tons of shitty podcasts
We got like 2 second hands, the vinyl is overpriced and dirty
>>
Sydney is alright for punk. Don't really go to as many shows as I used too. Some pretty cool DIY places around marrickville, along a little more sustained places like the red rattler and blackwire. Square used to be tops but that went to shit a few months back.
>>
Phoenix, it is absolute shit

>ENDLESS supply of shitty post hardcore/hardcore/metalcore/deathcore/whateveryouwaanafuckingcallitcore bands that flood shows
>Incredibly generic thrash/death/power metal bands
>Barely any bands that aren't one of these two, with a few progressive metal/rock bands, a ska band or two and some sludgey bands

Its fucking horrible here. I have heard 3 bands that are actually fucking good here. Pocket Leaf, The Dyatlov Incident and No Shores(I think that was their name) are the only locals I've seen open up here that I liked

Also for some reason lots of mexican and native american kids play in the really shitty core/metal bands, like an overwhelming majority of them aren't white. It's weird
>>
>>49945291
Mess O' Reds, Skun Knees, Taberah
>>
>>49946073
Cheers m8
>>
>>49943925
Prov is kool
>>
I wish someone from Buenos Aires could answer this
>>
File: 1408868519020.jpg (3 MB, 4128x3096) Image search: [Google]
1408868519020.jpg
3 MB, 4128x3096
Huntsville Alabama.
>Camping in Alaska, shitty folk punk and some old dad rock bands.
>Not too many house shows.
>Get some big bands through but usually shitty radio assrock.
>One good record store.
>>
Geelong, Australia

>there's a few pretty good metal/core bands but nothing hugely special except for King Parrot (thrash/grind) and The Kremlings (sludgey punk), and then some dadrockish bands
>There's shit all good shows, except for like the occasional deathcore/metalcore/post-hardcore show with one or two alright bands and the rest being generic shit
>once in a blue moon, Parkway Drive played here once lol
>I'm not even sure
>haven't looked honestly but I don't think there's many good ones

But Melbourne has a really good hardcore/punk scene that a fair few Geelong people are involved in, I try to be but the distance makes it hard, plus most of my really good friends don't care for actual hardcore or punk and just mainly like deathcore
and I'm too shy to make more Melbourne friends so I'm stuck with no one to go to shows with a lot, which is ok at bigger concerts but I'd feel weird at a small local one
>>
>>49943005
our local scene is emos, and lots of em shouting, i fucking hate it
>>
>>49946453
Have you heard of DEAD, Fire Witch or Fangs Of...?
>>
>>49944257
Actually, found out that the lead singer from Dúné is from Haderslev, so that's something?
>>
File: mlady.jpg (36 KB, 600x309) Image search: [Google]
mlady.jpg
36 KB, 600x309
>>49943005
Oswego, New York
>Local talent is pretty decent, just not a very large group though. Most people are metalcore or dadrockers so it's tough. Two groups that I and most people dig are Ethernauts and Cosmic Sea.
>Mainly diy spaces and VFW's.
>Not at all. Titus Andronicus did play here a little while back though.
>It's a small conservative college town, good luck finding any culture.
>SUNY Oswego students run the radio, I don't listen to it often but they sometimes play like Death Cab or whatever.
>No record stores in this town except a local antique type store. The closest one would be Sound Garden in Syracuse and I fucking love that place.

I actually plan on moving to Syracuse asap to pursue my own music interest there.
>>
i live in some british seaside town all the bands here are haggered middle aged people playing folk pop in coffee shops
>>
I live in washington, about 30 miles south of Seattle give or take, Tacoma area.

As for music scene we generally have a lot of hard/butt rock, cover bands, indie, some rap, metal, usually very shittily-executed thrash metal, a lot of prefix-core bands that a lot of the cute seem to like. Hell we even have some prog, punk, folk, reggae, a massive edm scene, but most of that is up north. I dig Riot in Rhythm, Static, Destroy Louis, Numbers, Amanda Hardy, Jason Kertson and The Immortals, Red Rouletta to name a few

Not that I know of, sadly. As for venues, they've been closing down one by one, and I can only think of maybe 8 within the local area, most of them are in Seattle.

We have bands and artists big in the 90's play at Jazzbones ever so often. Again, most of the traffic goes to Seattle. We where going to have a huge Metal House Party I was planning on going to, but that got cancelled. The occasional house show for a friend of a band's birthday here and there, but that's about it. If there are underground shows, I certainly haven't been invited, and I'm okay with that for the most part, I have to practice my crafts anyways.

As for subcultures, since it's Washington, we have stoners as far as the eye can see, a fair amount of tweekers too, we also have a massive amount of Juggalos(they mainly stay in lakewood) Ravers as well, and Good ol boy wannabes. Also have street racers and rice enthusiasts all over the place, that meet up in Kent. hell, even hipsters too poor to live in opulent Seattle live here in all shades.

We have quite a few, the only one of note I remember atm is I-91 fm, based out of Tacoma.

I don't go crate digging, I've only checked out one record store in Parkland that was nice.
>tfw no record player
>>
>>49946525
It's not Whitby is it?
>>
Anyone from Fayetteville that knows about the music scene here? It's dead as fuck from what I've seen.
>>
>>49946453
Oh I forgot about DEAD, they're awesome
But I've not heard of the other two

Ausmuteants is a synth-punk band I really like but they relocated from Geelong to Melbourne
Gay Paris are good as well actually
>>
>>49946558

try st annes on sea but hey they're all the same
>>
>>49946563
meant to reply to>>49946485
>>
>>49946563
They're the same guys from DEAD, check out the weemptyrooms bandcamp, they should be on there
>>
newcastle, north-east england

big metal scene, lots of incredibly talented bands who would probably be huge (or at least bigger) if they were from down south. apparently there's a decent post-punk/indie scene but i've kept to myself recently so i don't know about that.
>>
>>49946585
>House Shows?

we put on a show in my old flat. 4 bands, all night. it was fucking terrific. my crappy little noisy grind band played first to an audience of amused faces, but it escalated once the actual bands started to play. by the time the fourth band got going there was crowd-surfing, shenanigans. house gigs are awesome.
>>
>>49943925
Used to live there, awesome music scene
>>
>>49944087
Nah not really. Garage scene is thriving at the moment and Ausmuteants are going to the states next week or something, Dick Diver are over there now and Cuntz were there fairly recently.

There's still some great talent i Melbourne. Constant Mongrel, Total Contral, UV Race and all those incestuous bands are still putting out brilliant shit and playing great shows.

>>49944084
You guys have Low Life, Raw Prawn and Circle Pit. I wouldn't complain.
>>
>>49944289
Are you into Kitchen's Floor?
>>
>>49945291
http://numberonehits.bandcamp.com
Everything you need to know about contemporary punk bands in Hobart. Wasted Idol are one of my favourite bands.

>>49945426
You guys have a really good house and techno scene. Untzz puts out really great tracks for the dance floor and Sugar and Cuckoo are really fucking good clubs. Cuckoo's label is on point as well. I'm thinking of heading over to Adelaide this Friday actually for the last In The Deep End party at Sugar.
>>
>>49946681
Can't say I've heard of em
>>
I live in London

Dope, I mostly pay attention to the Hardcore scene but:

Employed To Serve (Nasty Post-Hardcore with Grind influence)
Let's Talk Daggers (Really fun frantic Post-Hardcore, imagine At The Drive-In playing The Locust songs)
Old Skin (Dark Hardcore with a Crust edge)
Svalbard (Really fast Post-Hardcore meets Post-Rock)
Razoreater (Crusty, Grindy Hardcore)
Let It Die (if Entombed were a Hardcore band)
Cleft (2 piece Mathrock)
Crywank (I know he is well known here but he is still a very small artist and local)
Esoteric Youth (Blackened Hardcore)
Hate Fuck (Lo-fi nasty Grindy Hardcore)

I like my local scene.

More like small pubs in camden, most gigs happen at The Unicorn, one of my favourite venues is actually a rehearsal room normally called Powerlunches, underground, barely any lighting, compact sound so it gets LOUD

I live in London, all the god damm time

The current Hardcore scene is growing, all the bands I mentioned are part of it and they are all pretty left field for Hardcore, there is also a really good standard Hardcore scene in Essex believe it or not.

Colossal Squid, a mate of mine runs it, I don't pay attention to radio though so that's why I only know his

All Ages Records in Camden
Banquet Records in Kingston
>>
>>49946731
Worth a look, one of the best garage bands of the past decade. They sound like living in a shitty sharehouse doing lots of speed, going bald and never getting a root. It's some of the feelsiest music I've heard because it is just so mundane.
>>
>>49943980
Im surprised you didnt mention the Grunge scene in Olympia because its huge. Every band ive seen come of of there really exceeded my expections
>>
Anyone have any info on Baltimore? I'm thinking about moving there early next year.
>>
>>49948768
I know they have baltimore-club music
>>
>>49946757
Svalbard are from Bristol, not London
>>
>>49948880
I don't think many of my listed bands are from around the UK, not london but they play London all the time (like once a month)
>>
Brooklyn, NYC
1. Too many to list
2. Lots of all of these
3. Pretty much every national act that exists

wait a second I feel like an asshole listing all of this
>>
>>49944072
Oh hey, I'm from the Valley too. Which Pavement ripoff act are we talking about?
>>
File: 1409219556095.jpg (7 KB, 231x250) Image search: [Google]
1409219556095.jpg
7 KB, 231x250
>>49949342
>that feel when the last good diy spot in williamsburg is closing.

i guess everyones going to bushwick now?
>>
>>49943083
i just moved to tally, im surprised theres as much stuff as there is. i guess we have to drown out the greek life with something
>>
>>49944001
dont play those kind of shows...
those aren't promoters putting on those gigs, they are scum.
>>
Perth

Pretty much a collection of shitty hardcore, Ty Segall wannabes and a million psych bands trying to do a Kevin Parker
>>
who /richmond/ here?
>>
>>49943604
It's got a decent punk scene, Rat Fest was pretty sweet this year.
>>
File: XXYYXX.jpg (595 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
XXYYXX.jpg
595 KB, 1000x1000
I'm from central Florida and the biggest thing that ever happened here XXYYXX getting big. I actually went to High School with a guy who produced some of their stuff.
>>
Fortaleza, Brazil
We have a strong scene of hardcore/thrash metal and some indie bands, forró is the mainstream rythm here
>>
>>49949712
those guys only made it big cus they paid a shit-ton for youtube ads and other marketing
>>
>>49949637
I'm from Billyburg. Went to Richmond to see Modern Baseball this summer, so that was pretty neat.
>>
>>49949712
are you retarded? it's one guy.
If you went to school with "a guy that produced some of their stuff", it's xxyyxx
>>
>>49943349
san diego has a great rap scene m8, you should try to get into it
>>
File: card00167_fr.jpg (45 KB, 600x388) Image search: [Google]
card00167_fr.jpg
45 KB, 600x388
>large scene for all types of genres, including metal, hip-hop, noise, punk, folk and indie
>many shows literally on every night of the week, from large venues to bars to basement shows
>Big name bands constantly stop here
>many college radio and public radio
>handful of great record stores'
Why arent you a MNfag yet?
>>
File: jay reatard.jpg (80 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
jay reatard.jpg
80 KB, 600x450
Memphis, TN

Pretty good. A lot of garage punk with Goner and all. Also a lot of EDM, which I'm not into really but it's here.
House shows every now and again, but there are a shit ton of small venues here that you can pretty much just have a show at when you want
There are good shows every now and again. Saw Ty Segall last week.
Pretty much just the cultures around the scene
No, but there is a local volunteer radio that has a really awesome 70s/80s hardcore punk show that comes on saturdays.
Shangri La and Goner records
>>
>>49943005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VllkrFogNZc

>mfw there's an awesome scene of stoner metal riffing meets hardcore/post-hardcore in my city
>I barely ever go see them and only know the main venues in my town which barely ever have local talent

wtf man, where are these bands playing all the time
>>
>>49943005
>tfw only country bands that cover whatever pop country is on the radio and bad dadrock cover bands in my city
>tfw could never get gigs when I had a punk band, a jam band, and even a bluegrass band, had to travel an hour away for gigs in each of these bands
>tfw these people are so pleb they don't even like bluegrass and would rather hear a cover of that baby you a song roll my windows down and cruise song
>>
>>49943235
i saw a band from hamilton, ON called the dirty nil.. not sure if you've ever heard of em, but if they're ever in your area go see em. they're fucking awesome
>>
Not that good. Mostly rappers and shitty metal bands.
No house shows that I know of, a few basement bars and definitely not DIY spaces.
No. Sometimes big names headline things but that's very rare.
None at all.
I imagine on a small level.
There are no record stores where I live.

Anybody hear of a band called Slowcoaster? One of the most famous bands from where I live
>>
>>49949342
kinda sux how that scene has retreated up it's own ass and come to be full of self-important p4k wannabe twats/Mike Sniper drones

>>49949471
I want to go to a show before it closes but driving to NYC a shit

I was supposed to be at the final show at 285 but my fuckin ride bailed on me
>>
Providence, it's a great scene.
>>
>>49949923
>tfw never lived in memphis in the mid 90s
>tfw never made my own frayser/gimisum satanic rap tapes in disgusting basement quality
why even live
>>
>>49950345
>going to frayser
>ever
>>
>>49950365
never been there, not even to memphis. it's just one of the main spots that most 90s memphis crews claim. not surprised that it's not exactly a tourist spot though
>>
>>49950428
it's pretty shitty, and by pretty shitty i mean really shitty. if you're ever down in memphis, don't go poking around down there. you wont find much..
>>
Las Vegas
80/20 rule - 80% of the bands blow, 20% rule.
Favorites: Candy Warpop, Invisible State, Wax Pig Melting, Bounty Hunter Brothers, Strange Mistress
Bunches of house shows, but for the most part people play shitty dives or downtown bars.
Thanks to the Strip, we get a ride array of mainstream acts. But some of nationals skip right over Vegas. Ty Segal, The Oh Sees, and in-vogue synth acts always roll through.
There's sort of a pseudo-grunge wave happening, bands that aren't punk, aren't metal or are just doing their own thing.
UNLV has like a show on Sunday. It's like a local hour on some of the other radio stations. Nothing to write home about.
Zia Records is pretty alright, but besides that, we've got nothing.
>>
>>49943005
Trondheim
Well, there isn't much interesting going on at the moment. The noise scene is probably the most interesting thing going on here right now I think. Thurston Moore said that trondheim was the place to be if you enjoyed noise in the early 2000s. People like deathprod, lasse marhaug and maja ratkje are from this town, and the local noise enthusiasts have their own organisation which hosts concerts and a noise festival in the middle of the forest every year. They are extremely nice, down to earth people.
Well, you have the whole autonomous squatting thing going on in Europe. There's a lot of fun to be had in those places, honestly the best concerts I've been to have been in places like that (. There's one in my town called UFFA, it's similar to the Blitz in Oslo (some of you might have heard about that?). There's also a miniature version of Christiania found here, called Svartlamon (lots of interesting stuff going on there as well, though it has become increasingly hippified during the last decade). There's also a bunch of guys who hosts raves from time to time which are pretty memorable if you like that kind of stuff. overall, not bad at all actually.
yeah, it's the third biggest city in norway (although it could hardly be called a city according to international standards)
I previously mentioned it, this city has a strong autonomous movement and that movement has its own neighbourhood. the youth has its own squat which is run by the youth themselves which houses a infoshop, cafe and a concert scene.
Yeah, but I don't listen to it. College radio in Europe is way different to college radio as you know it in the US.
There are some, but honestly I use the internet more.
>>
>>49943395
>No idea if there's college radio
My school has 88.3fm wrtc, but I think they just play your typical hipster drivel most of the time
>>
>>49946518
I live in Syracuse NY, so I'll talk about it. I made a stop at Oswego for that Titus Andronicus show and I might go to your Halloween show.
>A handful of local hardcore and indie-esque bands. Few metal bands.
>DIY and community spaces run the scene, their was a house venue up near Syracuse University but it isn't going anymore. The kid running it moved out.
>Sometimes national acts come through, bigger ones ignore us and typically go to southern or western NY instead. Syracuse is out of the way.
>Punks and college kids.
>No college radio that I'm aware of.
>The Sound Garden
>>
Moncton, New Brunswick; Canada.
> Mostly heavy metal and hardcore punk/grindcore groups, has a growing indie singer song-writer scene as well, favorite groups are ones my friends are in because they are actually some of the more talented.
> A mix of all 3, though I've never been to a basement show
> Meh, sometimes we get larger smaller acts; Marilyn Manson and Slayer have played here
> Nothing really
> Not that I know of
> Spin It Records and Frank's Music are the only two spots and they're both pretty good, I mostly shop at Spin It though.
>>
>>49950785
maybe you can clear something up

what's this I hear about two of the dudes in PP being rapists? Also, was there any actual falling out, or did they just turn on that local scene for no fucking reason/solely because they are shitty people?
>>
>>49943425
i do. i just dont care for hardcore
>>
Philadelphia, PA

nuff said
>>
St. Louis, MO

1.There's a good hardcore scene, like anywhere else in the U.S., and a pretty great experimental scene, for such a small city. Also, Yowie is from here. The Conformists, too.
2.There are some great basement and small spaces around here, but the larger venues rarely book anything worth seeing.
3. We get national acts, but rarely anything I'm into. Usually the closest any big acts get is Chicago.
4. South St. Louis county has this terrible fixation with Ska. I fucking hate ska.
5. No college radio, but two good public radio stations.
6. Apop Records on Cherokee street. I've seen a lot of great shows in their basement, and they're the best place I've ever been to buy tapes, in St. Louis or elsewhere. A very weird inventory with a lot of experimental and metal.
>>
Los Angeles

>flylo, new golden age of music
>national acts live in my city
>no one gives a shit about subculture
>ucla, kjazz, kusc, etc
>amoeba i guess

Yeah basically best city in the world for music at the moment.
>>
File: raleighnight.jpg (149 KB, 993x438) Image search: [Google]
raleighnight.jpg
149 KB, 993x438
Raleigh, NC
Local talent is pretty decent and wide ranging.
Lilac Shadows
>art rock
http://lilacshadows.bandcamp.com/album/no-dark-no-light-album

Last Year's Men
>Garage Rock
https://lastyearsmen.bandcamp.com/album/underwhelmed

Davidians
>Hardcore Punk, featuring members of Double Negative and Safewords
http://davidians.bandcamp.com/

T0W3RS
>Indie pop
http://t0w3rs.bandcamp.com/album/wyatt-ep

King Mez
>Hip Hop, J. Cole affiliate
https://soundcloud.com/kingmezatron

Yeah we have a bunch of those. My favorite DIY space is Nice Price Books. It's right near NC State's campus and the new owners are trying to turn it into more of a record store vs a bookstore.

Yeah all the time of all different sizes. Between Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill their are about 25 different venues in the area. Kings Baracade and the Local 506 in Chapel Hill are my two favorite venues to catch shows at.
Not of any interest to me. But we have a lot of different scenes. The Alt Country and Punk seem to be the dominate 2.

Yes. NC State's radio station 88.1 is great. They play a wide variety of stuff and are heavily involved in the local music scene.

Edward McKay Used Books and More in Raleigh. It's in an old Office Depot storefront and their music section is bigger/more expansive in variety/cheaper than pretty much anywhere else in town. Sorry State Records is pretty awesome too. CD Alley in Chapel Hill is another one of my favorite spots.
>>
>>49945449
And we have beerfest which is fun
>>
Lafayette LA bro here.
Only worthwhile band we've had here is a post-metal/atmosludge band called The Devil and the Sea, but they haven't done anything in years so I don't know if they're still active anymore.
>>
Philadelphia, PA.

Absolutely nothing but teenage pop-punk screamo bands. I'm embarrassed I wanted to be in one, but had no friends so.
>>
>>49951197
Philly has a lot of excellent bands that are touring nationally. You need to get a better grasp on your own city. It also sounds like you need some friends.
>>
I lived in South Florida, the Ft. Lauderdale suburbs specifically.
>hardcore/d-beat/powerviolence bands, some with the same kids in them, cool guys to everyone and everyone knew each other but the music itself is stale tbh
>Ska kidz abound, its own little community
>Van Gogh Sky is/was the biggest thing to come out of Weston (emo/math rock band)
>hip-hop scene is kinda funny in a cringy way, full of wiggers and bedroom producers
>Good nationally famous bands didn't start really coming down here until a couple of years ago (or I just didn't know at the time)

Now I'm up in Orlando for uni and I'm happy that there's a bunch of really good acts coming soon, (Joyce Manor, Flying Lotus, Bonobo) but I moved out before getting to go to iiiPoints ;_; Lineup is insane.
>>
>Phoenix

No one ever comes here.
>>
New York, New York

Yes to all those questions. It's has the best music scene in the world.
>>
>>49951197
I'm from several hundred miles away and I know more about your scene than you

step it the fuck up you nerd
>>
>iceage
>lower
>efterklang
>>
No one else in Athens...?

I don't really like the scene here. It's a bunch of djs who don't know how to use their own equipment mixed in with Mac Demarco worshippers, or not even him, more like his most recent album.

The live shows are usually energetic but energy=/=good music. Oh well.
>>
>>49946270
i have a friend there who's into the local hardcore scene. it's awful.

I'm from Montevideo if anyone's interested. There are some decent bands that play shows in small venues every once in a while.
>>
>>49951614
>this is what muricans actually believe
>>
>>49951578
DUDE 1D was here last night wtf
>>
>>49950808
As far as I know nobody in the group is a rapist.

The scene is uninviting, but it isn't fair to call a wildly dynamic group of people all shitters. The word is Meredith is a compulsive liar, I mean I hear this from the punk community, I have never met her so I wouldn't know.

Who I have met though, is Greg Ambler, the bassist. Greg booked shows and was a constant member of the DIY punk community and venue Badlands. Apparently Greg was pissed off when a member of a Syracuse punk band accused his friend of being a rapist during a show. Greg started getting butthurt and criticized a benefit show for Vera House (a program to help domestic abuse victims) as being insincere. The animosity grew between Greg and the community until the p4k interview, when it exploded. You can even find some conversations between Greg and some Syracuse people on the Badlands DIY forum, Greg's username being 315Santa or something similar.

Anyways, I don't know much else. I think Meredith is pissy because there was a popular hardcore band called White Guilt from Syracuse. Also some people have done some Skrewdriver covers, but I separate music from ideology so I don't see the problem, and not all Skrewdriver songs are racist as fuck. Meredith also called Hunted Down, the best Syracuse hardcore band, a Hoax ripoff in that p4k interview, which didn't help things.

Yeah, really just a bunch of petty shit full of misunderstandings.
>>
>>49951833
Greg also has been accused of stealing tons of money from Badlands. Along with beating people up in the streets of Syracuse. And being an abuser.

He's a real shady guy.
>>
>>49943005
Everywhere in Germany
>only talented artists are foreigners
>a lot of festivals apparently
>No, not at all
>The hiphop culture throughout the 90s and the early 00s was interesting, emo chicks had pretty good pussies, we also have the largest goth community in the world
>Yes, it sucks
>They all suck, overpriced and there is nothing similar to disk union or amoeba

if you like music, go and live in england or netherlands, not here
>>
>>49944280
>I feel like there's a weird goth scene here

Louisville here too.
>go to "goth night" because friend is going
>people in fucking Tripp pants
>2014

I hate living in a flyover state.
>>
Anyone else in Detroit? Most bands come here for shows, but I want to see more of the local scene. What bars/places are best? I went to a local show at the Old Miami once and it was pretty sweet
>>
>>49951833
ah

Greg, Meredith, and synthfag all seem like real shitty people tbh. Ray and the drummer are cool.
>>
File: 1.png (148 KB, 472x294) Image search: [Google]
1.png
148 KB, 472x294
>>49943005
SAN ANTONIO
FUCK SAN ANTONIO
I FUCKING HATE SAN ANTONIO
YOU FUCKING MEXICAN FAGGOTS, AND YOUR GODDAMN NU-METAL RAP MARIACHI BULL SHIT

FUCK THIS PLACE
FUCK IT ALL

DUMBASS OLD FUCKS WITH DEAD DREAMS TRYING TO REVIVE GLAM ROCK, JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE, YOU FUCKING SAN ANTONIANS?!

>GO SPURS GO
>UNFINISHED ROADS
>LOTS OF TRAFFIC
>ZERO BANDS THAT ARE GOOD
>>
Tampa Bay Area

>lots of black metal bands. I think we coined the term "tropical black metal". It's the Long Island punk of metal. Lots of rednecks involved in this scene.
>DJs are born in le wrong generation RAP "fans" aka 90s rap revivalists
>authentic, quality punk scene. Probably influenced by all the homelessness here. Plenty of punk houses.
>Every pop star will play here eventually.
>club scene is pretty big here. Quality european DJs stop by in the winter while touring the US.
>University of South Florida radio is pretty good. Plays literally everything.
>>
Shitty small town in Norway

Absolute shit. Though there used to be a strong punk scene, it's just shit now.
There's a pub with a stage, and a communal culture/cafe/stage building
No
Saw a cybergoth at the mall today, first time i've ever seen one
>college with radio
There's literally only one and it only sells rock and protopunk with extremely little selection
>>
Copenhagen, Denmark
The danish, I feel, has a tendency to imitate other cultures' music. As I heard on the radio today, bands for example "put on their folk hat", and they try to sound as Americanly folkish as possible.. There is cool bands, but they're not really muscisians as they are performers. I feel, anyway.
Had a show in a one-room flat once, filled it to the brim, people to the street and all. A punk band, and two metal bands playing. Was pretty cool, but afraid it's a one-off. These things happen in diffrent friend groups I hear, but to just happen upon them is rare to nonexistant
Yeah, it's the capital, and the biggest venues are here. Some metal bands (like Slayer) for some reason have a tendency to play in the next biggest city in Denmark, namely Aarhus
There's a Youth House (This is probably a terrible danish translation), where a lot of punks and 'alternative' people meet and drink beer and smoke weed and don't give fucks. The annoying 'alternatives', like what, Scenesters, Crunkcore or whatever is quite nonexistant in Copenhagen (or I'm just good at avoiding them). Except for maybe emo and goths and vampirekids in that corner in Kings Garden, but that's about it.. and they're all between 14-17 years of age, so yeah, there's that.
Some Gymnasiums (as they're called) have them, where the musical kids usually play their favorite YouTube music or whatever.. never dwelled into that.
They're dying. Only big ones are left and able to gain any income from the sales, so yeah.. no
>>
New Paltz, NY
>There's a lot of variety, but the most popular local acts are mostly punk/metal bands and jam bands
>There's one house that puts on shows almost weekly, featuring a variety of local and sometimes national artists, and a few lesser known diy venues
>We get a few smaller scale national acts on both campus and in the diy scene.
>not really any subcultures
>There is a college radio station, and the quality of it depends on the show
>There's two record stores and they both have some cool stuff
>>
>>49948768
>>49948794
Moved here a couple years ago, it's pretty awesome for people 18-40 years old. Every scene is its own pocket in the city, but as the city isn't too big and with such great public transportation it's piss easy to get around to shows of all types.
Plus a bunch of awesome artists come here, and even though some skip over Baltimore in favor of DC it's not far away at all.

Noisey did a video on the Bmore music scene a few weeks ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl_aIdVVOyQ
>>
>>49949637
Richmond representative on standby
>>
Cincinnati
most of the lesser bands are pretty generic indie dance music. Why? is from here though and so is Foxy Shazam, both great. Automagik is a smaller local band who is extremely underrated.
Mostly house shows
sorta, get some good acts through local music festivals
dunno
Everybody's and Shake It
>>
>>49950080
hey dude im a big fan of them aswell ( not anon from post ) but yeah i sure so love them!
>>
I literally live on a shithole and probably will never see live any band I like.
>>
>>49943313
>http://dsix.bandcamp.com/album/alphabet-cult
wtf anon thats great
>>
>>49949616

>Ty Segall wannabes and a million psych bands trying to do a Kevin Parker

might not be super innovative, but fuck me that sounds like a blast. Atleast it's not exclusively metal, ska-punk and 2experimental4u unlistenable electro shit like around here.
>>
>>49944046
Hey my best friend moved to Melbourne.
>>
chile, everything sucks
>>
>>49950981
you ever been to the Boiler Room?
>>
>>49952007
you forgot the hardc0re scene
>>
>>49951798
hexis
>>
Groningen, The Netherlands

>Local talent is awsome, my favorite must be traumahelikopter, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEYbGp75oAg

>Dont know anything about house shows, but loads of cool venues to visit, like my favorite venue ever, The Vera, a 500 max. capacity venue where the beer is cheap ( and good ), handmade posters, a basement with a bar from the 14th century, and posters and zines from the past everywhere. Dont know about DIY spaces though.

>Loads of big acts stop by, ticket prices are way to high though.

>Punks, Metalheads, Hiphop fans, Hot Topic kiddies, you name it.

>There's probably radio

> There's like 8 record stores here its hard to choose.

My hometown is awsome, sadly i just moved away ;(
>>
Chicago

>local talent
>variety of styles / scenes
>every touring act comes here
>loads of places to play and see music
>>
>>49953399
sounds cool man. Is Chicago worth visiting for tourists?
>>
>>49952893
Spain or Mexico?
>>
>>49953507
Spain.
>>
>>49953507
>being this american
>>
>>49953473
I've been to Chicago for both festivals and touring and it's a gorgeous city. Public transit works really well, it's laid out really well for such a huge place.
>>
>>49953541
Ive always wondered if artists
only tour Barcelona and Valencia
>>
>>49953767
But we have this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLnyzBpcBB4

amirite?
>>
>>49953741
>b-but I know all the states!
>>
>>49953741
im not american.
>>
>>49953874
guess so :P
>>
>>49953756
Guess ill have to stop by some time!
>>
>>49946367
who is this? move to bham, lol.
>>
>>49944089
WHERE
>>
I live in Gothenburg, Sweden.. I have no idea about the scene.

The Knife are from here so I guess that's that.
>>
A rapper from my former Highschool is now internet famous, he's pretty decent, names Poindexter!Another one that used to go to my school named "Justin Ledford" that's his actual name, he released a new single called "Work" look it up on YouTube, p good imo, but yea that's what's poppin in the Naptown!
>>
>>49943503
i was gonna post this
>>
>>49943927
i'm in your area
>>
r8 my cities bandcamp tag page.
http://bandcamp.com/tag/port-huron?sort_field=date
>>
I live in NYC, but since that's prob cheating I'll just say my borough: Staten Island
>mostly shitty pop punk and some shit-to pretty good hip hop (Wu tang, uncommon Nasa)
>listed my favorites already, though I have a friend in a pop punk group called Diet
>some house shows and some small venue shows, they're ok although I've only been to one since I pay more attention to other borough's scenes, never been to a hip hop one
>again, other boroughs
>mostly shitty pop punk/scene faggots, OK hardcore fags, and the hip hop scene has ghetto fucks and wiggers with some teen hype beasts
>eh not really
>there are only a couple,again more in other boroughs

If there are other NYC or SI fags pls show me some good stuff from my borough besides Wu Tang and Nasa
>>
>>49943282
Boris, Deafheaven, and lots of other obscure acts come here. What kind of music you into man?
>>
>>49945723
Have you ever listened to Destruction Unit? There from AZ. You might like them
>>
>>49954683
Forgot to mention that my old high school teacher is decently qt and played in a ska band and is gonna form another one
>>
>>49954283

Gothernburg scene is still shit loads of melodeath considering it was practically born there right?

Anyway:
Liverpool
>some decent thrash bands in my area, a few of them have an EP out or something, some of them can get a fucking crowd going though
>Mosly in small clubs around town, it's mostly by the industrial area of town rather than The Cavern Club and the docks
>Not very much they just go to Manchester
>I'm in with a lot of skaters round here and despite the fact I hate pop-punk they're fucking great people, people in the metal crowd are either cool or a weenie
>Don't listen to radio
>Been to one record shop in my life

People seem to expect the scene here to be great because muh Beatles but there don't seem to be many rock bands. The alternative scene is pretty healthy here
>>
Toronto

Decent amount of bands still active. After Funk and KC Roberts + the Live Revolution are pretty cool jazz/funk bands. Do Make Say Think and Timber Timbre are decent hipster fodder. Fatality (somewhat based out of my hometown in the GTA) are a pretty fun thrash band.

Soy Bomb is a fairly well-known DIY venue. Lots of hardcore shows (KEN-mode seems to like playing there).

It's pretty rare that a tour hits Montreal/Ottawa and not Toronto.

Not really anything interesting subculture-wise that I know of, we have our own Williamsburg-esque section where all the hipster/crust punks hang out that Vogue thinks is pretty cool.

U of T and Ryerson have college radio but I've never listened to them.

Sonic Boom and Rotate This are the usual spots most people go to.
>>
>>49951951
kek
>>
(574) Northern Indiana... Spoilers it sucks here...

Nope. Had one (Apolo's Mad) but they broke up due to "Creative Differences". Aside from that it's Shitty alt metal bands and cover bands.

Out on the countryside. Yeah, quite a bit of house shows. Then a few surrounding cities have venues, but they're mostly churches.

Seen Chevelle and Nofx in South Bend. But for the most part you gotta drive to Chicago if you wanna see them.

Not unless your interested into Christian Metalcore...

Yeah, it's pretty good too. Mostly indie rock, but they have a bit of variety. Listen to The Flaming Lips on the way back from work today.

No. Thought about opening a vinyl shop, because the only way you can get vinyl is through the mail here. But I don't think it would do any good.
>>
edmonton
seems like the music scene is less solid than it was a few years ago, like more bands that exist for shorter periods of time and don't put anything out except for a few eps on bandcamp. usually with indie type bands they move to montreal or somewhere, like braids or that band with the guy and the girl or, indie jesus himself; mac demuuuuurco. also, like anywhere else there's a slew of metal/punk/dadrock bands. and of course "EDM" is probably the big thing here right now, a lot of clubs that used to seem so magical to me as a youngster now host shitty dj's on fridays and saturdays to survive. because of the great canadian northern oil clusterfuck just north of us there are douchebags from ontario or worse everywhere you look blasting either country or [insert edgy genre here] out of their TRUUUUKS, it's cliche to even mention them.
DIY spaces, some but small and don't last long usually. it's not really something that's part of the culture here unless people really make an effort to get it going which can be glorious when it does happen. basement shows, yes, there are those.
yes but who wants to see u2 or the arcade fire anyways.
same as any other north american city. the vast majority of culture is anemic and comes from far off lands.
cjsr 88.5 is a beacon of hope but sometimes is crappy. lots of good shows though, bbc at night on weekdays
there are a few good ones, they aren't hard to find.
>>
Los Angeles CA here.
1. Current favorite - State Line Syndicate. Pop Punk band, but doesnt sound all whiny and bitchy like most. Saw these fools at the viper room on Friday, put on a great show. statelinesyndicate.bandcamp.com if anyone is interested.
2. Plenty of house shows but I dont go to those anymore. Getting older wanna stay away from the younger fucktards.
3. Going to see The Gaslight Anthem, Hot Water Music, Lucero, and a few others all within the next few months.
4. No. People out here fucking suck.
5. Im sure there is, but I dont listen to any of them.
6. Used to be Tower Records on Sunset, but now Amoeba Records is the only one I really go to anymore.
>>
>>49952080
Why do all Gymnasium kids who have music as their main class have the ultimate pleb taste in music?
>>
Munich

>Local scene is weaksauce, no distinct/strong hardcore/punk scene (smaller german towns have us beat on that), hip hop's ok I guess, dance/club music as well
>shows are weak as well, there's diy-like places doe
>international acts come here p regularly
>most interesting subculture are rich people
>yes, is available
>again yeah, a couple (but not a lot). favorite one is sadly bleep focused
>>
>>49945723
PREACH.
>>
>>49954683
>tfw dry as fuck scene compared to the rest of my city
Also bamp someone pls tell me
>>
I live near Chicago. Shit out here is great. We have at least three venues where I live that get incredible local high school and college bands. Also, Ravinia is 20 minutes away so if we want to see someone who's made it big, we have the tools.
>>
>>49951888
>>49955290
it's really bad in germany...
>>
Ghent, Belgium

Local talent is pretty good, always has been. Mostly rock, indie and lot's of electronic. We have a showcase festival since two or three years, so that's awesome. Hiphop is getting interesting too.

No house shows, but lot's of intimate events and shows at art spaces.

I guess we do pretty well. Lot's of great stuff passes trough, we have some interesting festivals and venues.

Hardcore, Breakcore, Acidcore was BIG. They closed all the venues now, don't know if that's a bad thing.
Urgent.fm. It's the best in the whole country

All of them are good. Lot's of niche, but rarely cheap.
>>
>>49956739
whats is Urgent fm like? what kind of music do they play here?
>>
>>49955169
edmonton bro.
>>
>>49945449
hey, i'm heading to Novi Sad soon. anything i should see if i can?
>>
Been in the Minneapolis scene for almost a year now

>local talent
Molly's Worst Enemy, Pierre, Internet Dating, With Iowa In Between, Greyscale, Ridgewood, Charlie Siren, Infinite Signal, Infinite Me, Household.

More known hipster local stuff like Caroline Smith, Policia. Banner Pilot and Dillinger Four play sometimes. Tiny Moving Parts are doing a record release show this month but they aren't technically from here.

The scenes are pretty split from DIY/Hardcore, Punk, Hipster, and Metalcore

>favorite
Pierre, alot of the others are too new to be anything but derivative. Molly's Worst Enemy's new stuff could be great though.

>House Shows/DIY
Charlie Siren, Pizza Palace, Hunter's Place
Empire! Empire! is playing at the Pizza Palace soon.

>National Acts
yes, but the DIY scene is more fun. NMH sold out so damn fast.

>subcultures
uh

>cr
its not 1985

>rs
meh
>>
>>49958827

oh and the current is cancer and DOOMTREE is around but no one outside of minneapolis cares about DOOMTREE. Everyone here thinks its the best rap ever
>>
>>49943395
pittsburgh has a decent DIY scene. the pittsburgh DIY music guild (or something like that) facebook group posts events at house shows and a few diy spaces pretty much every day
the scene kinda caters more towards emo, punk, and folk, so i guess if that's not what you're into you might have to dig deeper

the university of pittsburgh's radio station is 92.1. it's kind of hit or miss, but sometimes there's some pretty good stuff in people's shows.
there's a ton of other colleges around pittsburgh and i'm sure they also have radio stations but idk how good they are
>>
>>49943005
Its ok. San Antonio's a metal city. I blame it on the lack of drugs, we're the 2nd drunkest city in america. A lot of heavy post rock and post metal, punk and hardcore. The Grasshopper Lies Heavy is an amazing example of this. Too many scene kids

There are a few, but its only among friends, no real networking and shit.

Only the metal acts are smart enough to come through. We're literally starving for new types of music but no one comes through. Once a year, a /mu/-core band will come by and it's always packed in whatever shitty venue it happens to be in. The Slackers always come by, so do the aggrolites. Most heavy metal acts

We all come from the '06-'08 punk rock scene. Well the people with ok taste do. There was a big emo kid scene, but now they're going more the shitty hipster route

KRTU 91.7 JAZZ
They play obscure shit after 10

Hogwild, Flea Markets
>>
>Galax, possibly Roanoke if you want to stretch it

>they are all either bluegrass and old-time or metal bands; there is one dark ambient project, and the dude also plays bass in a deathcore band. I don't like any local music from around here.
>Fiddler's Convention for the bluegrass and old-time bands, once that deathcore band sent me a Facebook invite for a basement show; every so often middle-aged dudes will play beach music and southern rock at the local VFW for special events
>no, but the keyboardist for the 1970's prog band Happy the Man once owned a store here
>hicks, swaggots, dadrockers, and scenekids, so no
>some Virginia Tech station, something along the lines of WUVT
>not a very bustling local economy, much less one that promotes physical records
>>
>>49950080
I can vouch for them, i was in a mosh pit of theirs last weekend. definitely worth checking out. got my nipple bitten there too, just thought that was interesting
>>
>>49943884
Plan 9 is the worst record store in Richmond. Try Steady Sounds or Deep Groove. Vinly Conflict if you're into punk/metal.
>>
>>49943925
prov is sweet. what venues do you recommend?
>>
Shitty old Hazleton, PA

>>How is the local talent?
>talent
bunch of shitty metalcore fagolas
never
nope
NO
Wilkes University, but they mostly play v obscure hardcore punk/metal tunes
The only music store, Gallery of Sound

You need to go to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area to experience anything remotely good. There's a big hardcore scene up there which I personally am not really into. But it is home to two of my favorites: Tigers Jaw and Title Fight
>>
>>49951951
>Hating San Antonio
Fucking pleb faggot bitch
Dig harder
>>
>>49960112
AS220, The Met, etc shit like that

for DIY, Funky Jungle and Spark City are the only two that really advertise their shows. Others seem to be the kinds where you need to know the people to know the place; this works out just fine, as they do not book very good music for the most part.

but jesus christ Spark City shows are nuts
>>
Everyone is my scene praise these fuckshttps://panuccispizza.bandcamp.com/album/all-of-my-friends-are-familiar-and-the-steps-i-took-to-realize-this-3

lead singer is a huge fuckboi too
>>
>>49960937
>https://panuccispizza.bandcamp.com/album/all-of-my-friends-are-familiar-and-the-steps-i-took-to-realize-this-3
my ex bf is from downington
i can't imagine that anyone who lives there doesn't fucking suck
>>
>>49951801
>Athens
Athens Georiga?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.