[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is Death Grips Post-Hip Hop?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 12
File: sein.jpg (31 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
sein.jpg
31 KB, 400x300
>Death Grips isn't Hip Hop, but their use of key elements of Hip Hop to create a somewhat similar yet different thing [broken beats that only slightly resemble traditional hip hop; a disregard of actual lyrical content, using the voice more like a percussive/instrumental element ] makes them [pretentiousness alert] transcend[:/pretentiousness alert] the Hip Hop label, thus becoming Post- Hip Hop, a kind of Slint of the genre.
discuss
>inb4 op is a pretentious faggot
>>
Another ICP thread?
>>
>>49587305
More of their stuff is just experimental hiphop but Up My Sleeves is definitely post-hiphop. notm and GP are if anything
>>
>Neutral Milk Hotel isn't indie, but their use of key elements of indie to create a somewhat similar yet different thing [raspy vocals that only slightly resemble traditional sounds of skinning a cat alive; a disregard of actual lyrical content, using the voice more like a percussive/instrumental element ] makes them [pretentiousness alert] transcend[:/pretentiousness alert] the indie label, thus becoming Post- indie, a kind of Slint of the genre.
>>
>disregard for actual lyrical content

why do so many people believe this? what he's saying and what it means really aren't that obtuse or complicated.
>>
>they're not this genre, whaddyakno, they're this genre
>>
death grips were 21st century punk. Cancelling tours? Noshowing? Putting the mic in your pants and rubbing it on your nuts in the middle of a set? CLASSIC punk.
>>
>>49587339
OP here, yes, i should have mentioned i'm talking mostly about NOTM and similar songs on their other albums
>>
>>49587353
Which Pitchfork/Vice article did you paste that from?
>>
>>49587348
see
>>49587361
>>
>>49587348
I don't disregard the lyrics; they are super important. But some of the lyrics require, in my opinion, a deep, critical reading to appreciate them at a level beyond the superficial.
>>
>>49587305
Is Swans post-rock?
>>
can we just quit labelling shit henceforth
>>
>>49587365
i know it's not popular on /mu/ to develop your own opinion, but believe it or not I don't read pitchfork or vice.
>>
>>49587404
>yfw every band plays pop music
>>
>>49587305
Yes, of course
they're also the first hip hop group to ever incorporate industrial elements in their songs AND the first group to rap about anything other than money and bitches. Born in le wrong generation XXDD
>>
>>49587423
yeah, vice music is pretty much an edgier version of p4k
>>
>>49587444
>I LOVE hip hop death gripes, kanye west, deltron 3030 the list could go on
>>
Is Lil B Post - Hip Hop
>>
death grips is for fuckboys
>>
>>49587444
no one said they were the FIRST, just a notable example of a hip hop project that is going past the genre's limitations, more than most of the other projects do
>>
>>49587455
makes sense. vice tries to be edgier than bismuth. every vice headline is some insane muckraker clickbait like OUR REPORTER LIVED AS A BRAZILLIAN PROSTITUTE FOR FIVE YEARS HERE'S HER STORY
>>
>>49587432
It's funny because it's true.
>>
I once heard MBDTF described as Post-Hip Hop. The label is meaningless.
>>
>>49587482
i'm pretty sure he was sarcastic
>>
>>49587533
lel yes, it's true, i agree, but it sure is easier to describe what an artist.band sounds like by using other terms than pop
>>
>>49587489
nah, lil b is just a guy who can't rap
>>
>>49587541
obviously
>>
>>49587595
This.

lil B is a shitty rapper I hate that he is considered "avant garde" or "an outsider artist" because the only reason people care about him is his image and edgy lyrics.
>>
>>49587595
>lil b
>can't rap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wvS_w1VkaI
>>
>>49587635
Calling yourself Paris Hilton is edgy?
>>
Some of the songs are closer to Industrial.
>>
>>49587637
>HELEN DEGENERES HELEN DEGENERES HELEN DEGENERES HELEN DEGENERES HELEN DEGENERES HELEN DEGENERES HELEN DEGENERES HELEN DEGENERES HELEN DEGENERES HELEN DEGENERES
>SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG
>>
>>49587650
Yes because he is name dropping celebs so that people listen to his music

Fuck KD is the epitome of an edgy song because if he had said "Fuck Lebron" no one would have given a fuck about that song.
>>
>>49587637
seriously now, is lil b known for anything else than shitty songs [or i gues i should say because he's an outsider artist]?
>>
>>49587637
This is an edgy as fuck video and without faggot, nigga or bitch he would have no rhymes at all. His flow is lazy and hsi delivery is as bad as usual just now he is rapping over a better beat.
>>
>>49587707
KD was running his mouth and acts like a bitch. Have you ever seen him play? He won't play 1 on 1 against Lil B because he's scared. Oh, and he has exactly 0 (zero) rings which I guess is why he lacks the confidence to play him.
>>
>>49587650
yes.buzzwords like swag or calling himself based god is edgy too
>>
>>49587690
Only some of his songs are like that. Plus it's fun, nothing inherently wrong in repetition
>>49587741
he's known for his distinct style not only lyrically but vocal too. lil b changed the game
>>49587748
>edgy as fuck
>not owning a chopper
>>
>>49587801
ah, okay, got it. ;^)
thanks for letting me in on this meme. ha ha :^)
>>
>>49587823
>he's known for his distinct style not only lyrically but vocal too. lil b changed the game

he's just fucking lazy, there's literally nothing different about the guy except the fact he's rapping like he's about to fall asleep
>>
the first two albums are hip-hop. i don't like the idea that "if there's any experimentation in a genre then it's suddenly a new genre." i would agree that the last two would be considered post-hip-hop
>>
>>49587801
>>49587741

This

>KD was running his mouth and acts like a bitch

sauce?

>he has exactly 0 (zero) rings which I guess is why he lacks the confidence to play him

KD is an MVP in his profession and lil B isn't even the 20th best rapper currently. He relies on his shitty image and love from idiotic fans like you to stay relevant.
>>49587823
>guns
>saying faggot
>not edgy as fuck

We know that lil B does it on purpose.

>he's known for his distinct style not only lyrically but vocal too. lil b changed the game

Yes he is unique but that doesn't make him good or worthwhile.

> Plus it's fun

There we go this buzzword again I will say it again "fun" is not a justification for shitty music. Music can be fun and innovative, it can be fun and unique, and it can be fun without sounding like drunk rap.
>>
>>49587305
No, its industrial hip-hop. Just like Dalek and co.
>>
>>49587857
yeah, speed is subjugated for atmosphere but the lyrics aren't always like that
>lil B

the booth or in the streets, I'm known to tear and rip 'em
15 and 16, eyes breaking down the system
Nobody can tell me nothing, I was livin off my system
Head fucked up, I thought it would be cool to go to prison
Watching Hot Boyz on BET, getting all these women
So I got my gold grill because I'm thugged out with 'em
B-Town, Waterfront I put on for my city
We done did it for 6 years, just reached 20
A lot of dudes I grew up with didn't see 20
Everytime I have a birthday, I'm thinking God love me
Everytime I hit the beat, man I do it for my Mom
Workin' hard everyday I'mma make it where it's mine

>/mu/ favorite, kanye

I know I got a bad reputation
Walking-round-always-mad reputation
Leave-a-pretty-girl-sad reputation
Start a Fight Club, Brad reputation
I turnt the nightclub out of the basement
I'll turn the plane 'round, your ass keep complainin'
How you gon' be mad on vacation?
Dutty wining 'round all these Jamaicans
Uh, this that prom shit
This that what-we-do-don't-tell-your-mom shit
This that red-cup-all-on-the-lawn shit
Got a fresh cut, straight out the salon, bitch
>>
let's call death grips new rap.
>>
>>49587875
>i don't like the idea that "if there's any experimentation in a genre then it's suddenly a new genre.
no, but it can be the beginning of one, or at least an influence on a new genre
> i would agree that the last two would be considered post-hip-hop
yes
>>
>>49587444
i know you may be trying to be sarcastic, but i feel as if they incorporate a lot of hardcore punk aesthetic into something foreign to punk, which is hip hop
>>
no, kanye and death grips are what we like to call

>memerap
>>
>>49588029
why memerap, did they make the music with the intention of creating a meme? or id/mu/ make memes out of them ?
>>
>people get upset when they can't pidgeonhole bands

It's like Battles all over again
>>
Death Grips is noise/glitch pop
>>
>>49588029
Neither Kanye nor DG make music in order to market it via meme culture or some sort of online community. lil B does this and that is why he is meme rap and Kanye and DG are true artists.
>>
>>49588088
no, they're meme rap you tryhard

>IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES
>TEACHING BITCHES HOW TO SWIM

they invented meme rap with their epitomous depute memerap album ex military
>>
>>49588066
i hate to explain the epic meme but memerap is a non-genre. means nothing except to baffle rap fans.
>>
>>49588075
battles is math rock
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 468x201) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 468x201
>>49587902
If he wants to put a curse on him and not let him win a title thats fine by me.
>>
>>49588102
you're wrong, kanye perfected the memerap with 2010's mbdtf when he literally put the pussy in a sarcophagi

lil b just goes with the flow like a true poet while dg and kanye are ripping off other artists and writing the most immature and redundant lyrics imaginable
>>
>>49588111
>having lyrics
>being a meme
>>
>>49588130
so is Fang Island, amirite? XD
>>
>>49587305
It's hip-hop. With unusual samples and elements of other genres.

That doesn't make it a whole other genre. Dalek is just hip-hop as well. I can accept alt-hip-hop, or experimental hip-hop, but MC Dalek would probably disregard anything you say if he'd hear shit like your post or "industrial hip-hop" come out of your mouth.
>>
>>49587943

>cherry picking

Lil B

Left hand Cyrus (Swag)
Right hand iced-out (Iced-out)
All the girls love me (Yo)
All the guys hate me (Guys hate me)
Right hand, Cyrus (Hand Cyrus)
Girlfriend Cyrus (Friend Cyrus)
I'm Miley Cyrus (Swag)
Drive with no licence (Swag)
Toucan Sam ice (Swag swag swag)
Chain ultraviolet (Woo)
Young Based God used to date Miley Cyrus (Woo woo woo swag)
I look like Paris Hilton (Swag woo)
Chain Ellen DeGeneres (Woo woo)
Rang Mel Gibson (Woo woo)
Chain Jessica Simpson (Swag)

Kanye

They say people in your life are seasons
And anything that happen is for a reason
And niggas gun clapping and keep to squeezing
And Gram' keep praying and keep believing
In Jesus, and one day that you see him
'Til they walk in his footsteps and try to be him
The devil is alive I feel him breathin
Claiming money is the key, so keep on dreamin
And put them lottery tickets just to tease us
My Aunt Pam can't put them cigarettes down
So now my little cousin smokin them cigarettes now
His job try to claim that he too niggerish now
Is it cause his skin blacker than licorice now
I can't figure it out, I'm sick of it now
>>
>>49588150
you didn't disprove anything i just said lol if anything you added to my argument that death grapes is meme rap i mean look at the fucking album covers they are like meme incarnated lol
>>
>>49588102
>Death Grips
>not meme culture
Are all death grips fans this delusional?
>>
>>49588175
but you didn't make a point in the first place. your argument for them being a meme was bringing up a couple of lines from their songs and saying they're memes
>>
>>49588144

>kanye perfected the memerap in 2010

Does that make LR and CD memerap as well?

You realize that unlike every lil B mixtape/album MBDTF actually has great production and paints a cohesive picture of Kanye's mindset. lil B will never make an album as great at any of Kanye's albums.

>writing the most immature and redundant lyrics imaginable

Says the guy whose Based God raps about fucking bitches all the time. lil B is a joke.

>>49588205
What has DG put out that is memey?

Does MC Ride call out other famous people in an attempt to get people interest in DG?

When has DG been about anything but music?

>inb4 Adidas commercial
>>
>>49588172
the point is lil b doesn't always drone on like people say he does
>>
>>49588278
>nldw
>arg
>not showing up to shows, projecting an email instead
>>
>>49588290

>il b doesn't always drone on like people say he does

Sure but he makes shitty songs about celebrities while Kanye is actually a great producer and with lyrics that are pretty interesting. Kanye also makes "fun" music too so it's not like lil B is the best "fun" artist either.
>>
can we just agree that lil b isn't and should never be considered a relevant musician? i think it would make this thread a lot better if we didn't talk about him like he is relevant as human being
>>
anyone who aint want Death Grips to be called hip hop must want hip hop to remain stale forever.
>>
>>49588359
>makes shitty songs about celebrities
oh you mean like kanye does about kim? lmao kanyes lyrics have been vapid as fuck since college dropout inb4 muh new slaves
>>
>>49588349
i don't agree that they are memerap, but even if they were, at least they have music worthy talking about, unlike lil b
>>
>>49588349

>not showing up to shows, projecting an email instead

This is just them being unprofessional it is not memey at all

>nldw and that arg

Well they were making an album referencing the internet, so just like Childish with BTI, it makes sense to market it via the internet. The didn't make an arg for all their albums and DG is mostly about music anyway while lil B is about cooking, being "based" and living a "based life" and music is secondary to lil B fans.
>>
>>49587305
Why are you so obsessed with labeling music with genres?
>>
>>49588413
>at least they have music worthy talking about
Like what? Literally none of their albums were innovative so how exactly is it worth talking about?
>>49588417
>music is secondary to lil b fans
Yeah great argument, you win
>>
>>49588155
dalek is shit and thus i don't give two flying fucks about anything they say.
>>
>>49588399

>making a song about Hannah Montana, someone you have probably never even met.

>making a song about your gf/wife

Those are two different things faggot

I just posted a lyrically brilliant song from LR and 808s also has lyrically rich songs. Even on MBDTF Kanye's lyricism is on point:

May the Lord forgive us, may the gods be with us
In that magic hour I seen good Christians
Make rash decisions, oh she do it
What happened to religion? Oh, she lose it
She putting on her make up, she casually allure
Text message break ups, the casualty of tour
How she gon' wake up and not love me no more?
I thought I was the asshole, I guess it’s rubbing off
Hood phenomenon, the LeBron of rhyme
Hard to be humble when you stunting on a jumbotron
I’m looking at her like this what you really wanted, huh?
Why we argue anyway? Oh, I forgot, it's summertime

Yeezus is pretty bad though I can't defend it.
>>
>>49588418
Because genres are useful
>>
File: index.jpg (8 KB, 237x213) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
8 KB, 237x213
>people forgetting this was technically the first Post-Hip-Hop album
>Dem frequency and sometimes minimalist based beats
>mfw plebs will just disreguard this as edgy, memerap because this isn't some sharethread above average shit.
>>
>>49588417
no, it doesn't matter that hey released 5/6 albums in 4 years [not even talking about the fact that they're consistent qualitywise, that's a matter of opinion], they're all about makin le memes so 4chan fgts have more buzzwordsXD
>>49588483
how is an album like notm, let's say not innovative? pretty sure not a lot of people sound like they do
>>
>>49588418
>obsessed
all he did was start a thread trying to start a discussion, if you consider that "obsessed" you're an idiot.
>>
>>49588583
go back to /b/, pleb
>>
>>49588483

I'm sorry would you listen to a lil B if he had the personality of Ed Sheeran?

I would listen to Kanye regardless of the shit that he says or does outside of music, I actually hate is personality, because his music is good.

>>49588595

>lil B
>not about memes

DG makes art and lil B makes shitty rap regardless of how much content both of them have out
>>
It's only considered hip hop because it's fronted by a black man.
>>
>>49588583
ExM came out the same year and it's way more experimental than goblin.
>>
>>49588632

>proving my point
>someone must've fucked his bitch
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 518x610) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 518x610
>>49588635
DG and Kanye fans are really this terrible, holy shit.
>>
>>49588653
don't you think the fact that that black man has a vocal approach very similar to rapping helps?
>>
>>49588655

But they both can't be Post-Hip Hop?
>>
>>49588573
nothing special about those lyrics
>>49588595
sure, they're relatively unique among mainstream hip hop but innovative means they did something first or original.
>>49588635
I would listen to Lil B regardless of what he does outside of music, too. Because he's a good rapper
>>
>>49588689

They're no worst than K-Pop fans.

Also

>NLDW not being the staple for Post-Hip Hop along with Dalek's discography
>>
>>49588708
yeah they can,it's just goblin is still pretty similar to regular hip hop, although it has some pretty cool beats
>inb4 arguing about a genre that pretty much doesn't exist
>>
>>49588740
>>NLDW not being the staple for Post-Hip Hop along with Dalek's discography
this
>>
>>49588740
I stay out of those threads. Honestly, I should have stayed out of this one.
>>
>>49587792
#taskforce
>>
Whats the deal with Respect other peoples likes and tastes
>>
>>49588923
anon, pls dont open that plebby door that says "all music is subjective and we shouldn't say anything bad about other people's tastes". don't be that guy
>>
I don't get why only Death Grips gets this label. The term should really be experimental hip-hop, because most of what we call experimental hip-hop is the same normal hip-hop formula just with unusual samples or influences. Stretch 1 and Stretch 2, the Arca EPs, are pretty good examples of what you might consider "post-hip-hop". Also track 9 on Black is Beautiful by Dean Blunt and Inga Copeland. Check it out
>>
>>49588956
also I think people focus way too much on the sound of death grips when it's really the structure and dynamics that set them apart from other groups, as well as the drumming
>>
>>49588713
The lyrics paint a picture of a broken relationship and I guy who thought he was the Jerk getting shown up by an equally shallow female. Ending it with the reference to summer highlights the futility of this relationship.

> he's a good rapper

Explain this without using the word "fun" or any of its synonyms.
>>
>>49588956
started listening to stretch 2 and it sounds pretty dope already. and yeah, pretty "post hip hop"
>>
>>49589044
see
>>49587943
honest lyrics about a rapper disillusioned by the hip hop lifestyle.
>the lebron of rhyme
please
>>
>wake up after 8 hours of meme sleep
>turn on my meme machine
>eat some memecereal with soy milk (cause it's a meme)
>open /mumemes/ and see that there's a memethread up about my favourite meme artist
>memeanons are shitposting
>Fantano gave my favorite meme album a bad review but I'm not allowed to disagree with him because liking him is a meme
>decide to listen to my favorite meme album with my meme headphones
>/meme/ tells me that memerap is shit nigger music and that I should listen to vapormeme instead
>try listening to macintosh plus
>get annoyed by the lack of meme effort put into producing it, and all the lame meme samples just slowed down and chopped up
>get mad so I go on and make a memethread on /meme/ and treat it as my blog
>people tell me "epic meme"
>write this shitty meme pasta while waiting for the new memerelease
>hope mememutants will laugh so I can feel validated
>>
>>49589224
MMM
Memst Mew Meme
>>
>>49589224
epic
>>
>>49589224
>vaporwave
>meme
it's an AESTHETIC, BRUH!!
>>
>>49589224
lol ur so gay
xoxo
>>
>>49588418
i just started a thread because i wanted to talk about a band, that in my opinion crosses that genre's limitations. how does that make me obsessed?
>>
>>49589224
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF THE EVERYDAYMEMER
>>
File: cloudd-cloudd_03.jpg (435 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
cloudd-cloudd_03.jpg
435 KB, 800x800
The closest we've come to Post-Hip Hop is cLOUDDEAD.
>>
>>49589612
that album is the tits
>>
selfish bump. keep the thread alive, fgtz, validate my opinions
>>
>>49587379
some albums are
>>
I've always thought of Death Grips as a mix of hip hop and punk. I'd call them something like experimental industrial punk hop.
>>
>>49587379
what's the point of that question anyway?
>>
>>49588278
> Based God raps about fucking bitches all the time

have you actually listened to a whole album?
>>
>>49590230
i'm not the one you replied to but why the fuck would anyone listen to a whole album? i've listened to a lot of his songs and it's not worth it
>>
>>49590230

Fine I'm Gay is about being happy and has some shallow comments on racism. His mixtapes are all about bitches and fucking the haters though
>>
the only way to make post hip hop a thing is making a post hip hop essential chart. do your thing, /mu
>>
>>49587323

This is why we need to fund a cure for autism. This young man needs our help.
>>
bamp
>>
>>49590903
His mixtapes are pretty varied. If you listened to more than 5 songs of of one you'd know that.
>>
>>49593276
he still gets waaayy too much attention for how good he is tho
>>
>>49593276
also how am i suppose to take him seriously in order to go deeper into his music with the name dropping songs and buzzwordy shit ?like i'm paris hilton and stuff
>>
>>49587340
Underrated post
>>
>>49587444
>anything other than money and bitches.
no no no
>>
>>49594689
nope, just shitposting
>>
>>49587340
>indie being an actual genre
although i'll give it to you about the lyrics, they do make no fucking sense
>>
>>49587305
They are punk. THEY SOUND LIKE PUNK. NOTHING LIKE HIP-HOP only art decor losers call them hiphop.
>>
>>49595037
tone don the sarcasm, tryhard
>>
>>49595037
in my opinion death grips are modern day punk rock, not in a sonic sense but in attitude.
>>
>>49595178
attutude, and image, that is. forgot image. note that image doesn't mean specifically the way they dress but more how they present themselves.
>>
>>49595178
probably one of the few acts that actually don't give a fuck[or at least it seems like they don't]
>>
>>49595260
***anyway their assholery [i prefer calling it that instead of punk attitude] doesn't really change my listening experience. i would've liked them even without the noshows or the whole Epic thing
>>
>>49595088
implying im being sarcastic.
>>49595178
THIS.
>>
>>49595396
lel that's what it looked like, sorry
>>
>>49587595
>>49587635
>thinking lil b is a bad rapper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2acKp0fJ2A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAKD1zuwA6s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwyI_W8NhWM

yall people need to get educated with da based god
>>
>>49595493
ok, maybe dabasedgod can rap, still, he's mediocre, why would you listen to him? what makes him so special?
>>
>>49595493
LIL B is trash. If you enjoy him on any level you don't know good music.
>>
This is the only post-rap band that exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsoeIxSMTRw
>>
>>49587305
who are you quoting?
>>
>>49593313
>>49593387
>>49595606
>>49595645

This.

lil B sucks and his fans don't actually like rap music.
>>
>>49595747
based scaruffi b0ws
just kidding, thought about it myself and wanted to see what /mu thinks about it
>>
If say that from Ex Military to NLDW, the music is just experimental hip hop.

I could definitely see GP and NOTM being called post hip hop though. I don't know why people want to say they're punk just because of the things they did. Their actions might be considered punk, but the music isn't.
>>
>>49595867
the punk label is kind of stupid if you're trying to describe their music. it doesn't really sound like it and actual punk was more of an image thing anyway
>>
>>49593387
do you know what a buzzword is
>>
File: cover.jpg (280 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
280 KB, 500x500
>>49595606
he supports being positive and having a good time
isnt that what you want out of music? a good time? if you laugh at his songs arent you in a way enjoying it?

if you dont enjoy this song then your not a fan of hip hop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7FEnbmZotc

>>49595645
>you dont know good music
i bet youre a true patrician then, so you know Lil B is trash? or did you just listen to like 4 songs and form your opinion
>>
>>49595908
yeah, shit like SWAG or calling yourself based god
>>
>>49587637
is this a real gun?
>>
>>49595764
see >>49595922
>>
>>49595922
there's a lot of shitty music to laugh at, and making it doesn't make me enjoy the music, i just enjoy the mockery. how much "good time" can you have before you get bored and you realise you're listening to shitty, mediocre at best music?
>>
>>49588583
best song off goblin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXr23t77k9k
>>
File: lilb.jpg (38 KB, 349x352) Image search: [Google]
lilb.jpg
38 KB, 349x352
>>49596026
>mediocre at best
hey man I used to be the biggest Lil B hater, and Ive always loved rap shit. Im a huge Lil B fanboi now and Im not kidding when I say I legit really like his music.

if your such a huge hip hop fan then whats your fav hip hop album?
>>
File: 11387527235_028ef07d17_o.jpg (107 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
11387527235_028ef07d17_o.jpg
107 KB, 1280x853
No one responded in my original post so I'll just put it here. Can someone explain the extreme love that /mu/ has for Death Grips? I've listened to them and they're not bad, but it doesn't seem that deep or interesting. Pretty good electronic production, but MC Ride's yelling vocals seem unnecessary and kind of gimmicky. Am I missing something?
>>
>>49596149
how is yelling gimmicky? there's a lot of music involving yelling
>>
File: deathg6242.jpg (236 KB, 624x832) Image search: [Google]
deathg6242.jpg
236 KB, 624x832
>>49596149
its taste man.
some get it some dont
>>
>>49596149
Some people have differing taste in music.
>>
>>49587637
Holy shit this is really bad.
No wonder people talk shit about him all the time.
>>
>>49596245
this.
>>49596249
and this. it's ok not to like them
>>
>>49596208
I know that's just the style but it doesn't fit on some songs. It seems like their equivalent of Hopsin wearing those contacts. And for anyone saying something about different tastes, I understand that, it just doesn't seem that good for /mu/ to dickride it the way they do. Sometimes it seems like you guys are just following the crowd
>>
>>49596406
listen to niggas on the moon. it's a bit more inaccessible as a whole but ride's vocals are more diverse.
>>
>>49596149
it's some of the heaviest and most energetic stuff i've ever listened to that still sounded musically innovative and not cheesy. the lyrics and his shouting really help build a character that's almost unbreakable. seriously, try to imagine mc ride going shopping with his qt gf, or making a nice meal for someone he likes. you don't even need their videos to get this image
>>
>>49595976
>>49595922

I don't find shitty rap that (maybe?) parodies real themes in rap to be funny

This is funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw
>>
>>49596455
This is why Takyon is one of my favorite songs by them. He's just going fucking nuts and the lyrics are just coming at you relentlessly.
>>
>>49596406
>yelling
>the same as gimmicky contacts
its obviously not for you, yelling the lyrics are as big of a deal as the actual music, thats what makes the sound they're going for!
honestly it took me 2 years and a tab of LSD to get into death grips and since then I've been a huge fan.
and also
>it just doesn't seem that good for /mu/ to dickride it the way they do. Sometimes it seems like you guys are just following the crowd
maybe you should stop assuming things. /mu/ isnt one person and if you look at this thread not everyone is dickriding them.
>>
File: cover.jpg (413 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
413 KB, 1000x1000
>>49596506
>i dont find jokes funny
>i take every song ever made seriously

so when a non parody rap artist raps about selling drugs and killing when he hasnt done that in 10 years you consider that to be "real" but when someone who raps about killing and selling drugs "jokingly" you find that to be shit rap? I dont see your logic there

take pic related for example

the guy who made this is exactly the same as lil b, and if you think MISTA THUG ISOLATION is bad then your taste in hip hop is literally trash

keep in mind that this song is a parody
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBOyMg1gpGI
>>
>>49596512
i also love how they instrumentals can achieve the same effect. some of their stuff sounds pretty breathtaking, in a really intense way. the way system blower sounds 40 seconds in, the end of big dipper, the synths after the hook in get got (and other moments) while not necessarily my favorite moments, they sound claustrophobic as fuck. i can't think of another artist that actually made me feel claustrophobic with this much intensity
>>
>>49596874
>the end of big dipper
god, yes!that's one of my favorite moments of theirs, it really makes you fell like something heavy is being pressed on your head
>>
>>49596949
i've seen some people come up with some really cool imagery for that moment on /mu/. the way the music and the structure kind of sound like they're having a mental breakdown reminds me a lot of the first track in spirit they're gone, spirit they've vanished. really an amazing moment
>>
holy shit music fans are insufferable
>>
>>49597051
>>49596949
>>49596874
notm is there best and every song is like a shot of some insane future drug
>>
>>49597082
wrong board then, bro
>>49597124
i second that
>>
>>49597124
i'm >>49596874
i still think tms is better, but fucking hell, it even if it took me a while to realise it, notm was amazing album notm
>>
>>49597228
*even if it took me a while to realise it, notm was an amazing album
lol wtf
>>
>>49587523
has anyone seen that Vice parody twitter account? It's fuckin brilliant
>>
>>49596651

The layering of vocal samples was pretty cool and the beat is catchy but not that great. I am not a fan of parody rap in general but if I want this kind of rap I would listen to Gucci Mane, whose best albums are a lot better than any work by Ugly and lil B.
>>
>>49587444
>they're also the first hip hop group to ever incorporate industrial elements in their songs AND the first group to rap about anything other than money and bitches.

lol nope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGmNT62Tiwg
>>
>>49597726
>if I wanted this kind of rap I would listen to gucci
I hope this is bait but if its not youre a huge pleb, you only say that cause gucci is a "real" rapper and UGLY MANE is a white guy from kentucky. UGLY MANE is miles ahead of gucci. youre clearly are missing the point of UGLY MANE if you think gucci and him make the same type of music. If you woulda said Juicy J or Triple Six Mafia you woulda been right.

LIL UGLY MANE is a parody/tribute to old 90s rap albums from Memphis, not only does he emulate this style perfectly he actually improves upon it with his modern production, extremely original and layered beats/samples, and his extremely witty word play on every song

>im a project ghost im a hood apparition
>live or die, id rather take the latter route, id take the ladder route, rope around my neck kick the ladder out
>bitch im morose and lugubrious, ima let the uzi spit, turn his face into gooey shit

now go listen to MISTA THUG ISOLATION and rethink your close minded ideals about hip hop otherwise you just belong on /r/hiphopheads
>>
>>49598116
you are stupid as fuck
>>
>>49598805
i am confuse, son. what the fuck did he say?
>>
File: 11111.jpg (216 KB, 729x1095) Image search: [Google]
11111.jpg
216 KB, 729x1095
>>49587305
futuristic post grunge crack trap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzjS1FcH8Xo&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>49587444
>AND the first group to rap about anything other than money and bitches
That was Macklemore you stupid fuck
>>
>>49598979
is 'post hip hop' such an uber specific term? i really don't think so
>>
>>49599104
aa yee smoke herojin?ina
>>
>>49599032
>2030-16
>Thrift shop still not recognised as avant garde musical genius
ikr, wht a bunch of plebs
>>
Experimental Hip-Hop/Punk-Hop
>>
>>49599222
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzjS1FcH8Xo&feature=youtu.be

here u go
>>
>>49599292
is this the new foliage or smth?
>>
>>49599329
>>49599329
its from time travelers on heroijn
>>
>>49599371
thanks for advancing the topic
>>
>>49599439
i suck cocks
>>
>>49595931
nope
>>
>>49596651
i like both artists but you're making lil ugly mane look bad
>>
>>49600526
then what is a buzzword, based english profesor? teach me
>>
>>49587523
>I blew cocaine up my ass just so you didn't have to
>>
>>49600586
at least they're edgy enough to go in warzones or rough places and make some pretty decent mini docs, at least something good comes out of them being supreme edgelords
>>
>>49587305
>every genre nowadays MUST have it's respective psot- genre

Fuck off

This is the biggest meme in the music industry and has got to stop right now. It originally made sense with post-punk. No one argued with that. Post-rock was fine and made enough sense in it's right. Post-hardcore? Reasonable enough... Post-Grunge -- why is this necessary? Nowadays it's all Post-Dubstep and Post-Vaporwave and it's all such bullshit

Before everything had to be considered post- something there, was another perfectly good word for it. What's wrong with Death Grips being experimental hip-hop?
>>
>>49600710
think about what i said about the finished product being hip hop but not quite like it. it's just like post rock, i'm not trying to create a meme or a new genre, just to have a discussion around DG's music.

[also vaporwave is the lamest laziest shit in music right now, i agree]
>>
>>49600560
when you used buzzword, you were using it as a buzzword
that should give you a hint
i'm not being pedantic you just totally misused it and i thought you had some reason behind it but you didn't so i'm giving you a heads up so you don't embarrass yourself next time you post
>>
why does everyone care so much about genres and labeling the type of music. it acts as a restriction
>>
>>49601969
Because autistic people like to categorise everything

i'm not even kidding, that's why. Those with autistic tendencies rule the internet and thus create standards like this
>>
We went at least a month and a half without a death grips thread....
>>
>>49589224
4meme salutes you memenonymous
>>
>>49601969
>it acts as a restriction
how
it doesn't change the music at all
Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.