[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
modern art music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 14
File: b9a9a9ee.png (682 KB, 658x639) Image search: [Google]
b9a9a9ee.png
682 KB, 658x639
modern art music
>>
File: 6ftbeneaththemoon.jpg (82 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
6ftbeneaththemoon.jpg
82 KB, 480x480
>>
vapormeme is not art
>>
>>49460512
But R+7 isn't vaporwave
>>
>>49460520
this
>>
>>49460525
this
>>
>>49460512
ugh

>>49460490
I think in 50 years this album will be hailed as a classic, alongside the Books' "Thought For Food" and Boards of Canada's "Music Has The Right To Children"/'Geogaddi"
>>
Is beat music dying?
>>
>>49460715
Pretty sure beat music died in 2011 man

Interesting that you bring it up though--are you implying that R+7 is beat music? not that i think you are, but theres barely any drums on this album. I love the way he's created such a rhythmically active album with barely any traditional percussion
>>
aoty 2013
>>
>>49460740
so you are saying that this album has beats? because I couldn't listen any beat on it. Just little percussion like you said.
>>
>>49460490
>random notes played on shitty presets
>art music
>>
>>49460938
nah im saying it doesnt. only interestingly the only songs that even contain kick drums are the very last two tracks on the album. Still Life has a kick during the trancey section, and Chrome Country has the most active and prominent kick drum that OPN has ever laid down

It just makes me very pleased to see his progression from Rifts all the way to R+7--Rifts is so devoid of transients and rhythm, and R+7 has got these angular and syncopated rhythmic gestures coming at you from every which way, it's just so wonderful
>>
>>49460966
Come on man, engage yourself with the music further than the surface level.

It's easy to dismiss Beethoven as some douchebag retard that just wrote a lot of notes for violin playing idiots to play

And Steve Reich was some dumbass that played the same shit over and over again, or couldn't keep his stupid reel to reels in sync

but there's so much more going on! There are beautiful and thought provoking things happening!

engage yourself with all music, there is so much to be seen and learned
>>
File: geminoid_f.jpg (14 KB, 400x280) Image search: [Google]
geminoid_f.jpg
14 KB, 400x280
>>49460740
not him and sort of unrelated but I remember reading an interview with daniel where he said that he's always had a hard time programming drums, which is part of the reason why he started making the type of music he does.

I thought that was sort of funny, especially since his music is pretty meticulous, or at least it sounds that way / he's making the music he does sort of incidentally
>>
>>49461076
even funnier is that in another interview he stated that R+7 started out having "IDM drums" all over the place

then after a while he pulled out all the drums and had this hyper-rhythmic thing going on because of all the rhythm present in the melodies

it doesnt matter if he does or doesnt know what he's doing, the fact stands that he's a genius
>>
>>49461056
>comparing OPN to Beethoven and Reich
is this what delusion looks like?
>>
>>49460490
>modern art
>posts the worst opn record
you could have went with replica or returnal
>>49460576
lemon of pink is better
>>
>>49461426
I wasnt implying that their music is stylistically similar, but now that you bring it up i can certainly make comparisons. R+7 is a symphonic piece of music by nature, and his love of ostinato and arpeggiation is very comparable to minimalists like reich and glass
>>
>>49460534
that

LOOK GUYS IM CONTRARIAN
>>
>>49461472
We have a difference of opinion. I love all of opn's records, but replica and r+ are my favorites. I dont really try to objectively compare them though since they're very different pieces
>>
>>49461514
hooooooooly shit m8
are you really asserting that Zebra has the same level of composition as Reich's Sextet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zKgf3H5-Bo
>>
I like OPN a lot.

But he's such a goofball. I'm almost 100% certain he doesn't consider what he's doing to be "art" in the hyper-intense, lofty sense that /mu/ means whenever they use that word. It's a little more primal, which is good. He makes music that would be hilariously pretentious and stuffy if he was any different, or if the music itself was "ART".

It's something to vibe to. Good, for sure. I'd even go as far to say that it kind of lives in a weird space between shallow entertainment and "real" art.

Definitely a genius though. He only has one release I really dislike (Hollyr). I'd consider him a favorite if not THE favorite.
>>
>>49461556
r+7 is good but i really didn't enjoy it nearly as much as replica or returnal
>>
>>49461641
Same.

I've been liking Returnal more and more the more I listen to it. It's not really special like his last two records but it's just...good synth music. Replica used to be my favorite but it definitely falters in some parts. I'm weirdly ambivalent about R+7. Haven't quite puzzled out how I feel about it yet.

Stress Waves is probably my favorite thing that he's done, ever. Could listen to that for days.
>>
>>49461708
Stress Waves is so good, and maybe I'm a total noisepleb but Nil Admirari is by far the best, most dynamic and affecting noise thing I've heard.
>>
File: 1374219241426.gif (1 MB, 280x210) Image search: [Google]
1374219241426.gif
1 MB, 280x210
>>49460512

>R+7
>Vaporwave
>>
File: actress-model.jpg (60 KB, 560x350) Image search: [Google]
actress-model.jpg
60 KB, 560x350
What do you guys think of Actress aka Darren Cunningham?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z7q08-nEH8
>>
>>49462079
one of the most "meh" artists I have ever listened to
>>
>>49461076
>>49461107
Can I get a source on this?
>>
>>49461472
Replica sucks compared to R + 7. In fact, Rifts and Russian Mind shit all over Replica. Fuck off.
>>
>>49461576
No, I wasn't asserting that.

I personally think it's rather foolish to try to weigh such extremely different and powerful pieces of music against one another.

that being said I can see similarities between them and think they're both very excellent though
>>
>>49462183
Totally in agreement. I'm a huge fan of OPN. I just find comparing him to Reich or Beethoven in a substantial manner to be a bit much.
>>
>>49462228
the only reason i was bringing up great artists of the past was to provide reason to look past things at a surface level

very often on /mu/ on see R+ criticized as being nothing but cheesy sounds, and perhaps i'm just getting trolled, but if people truly believe that i just wish they could be more attentive to whats going on and realize the turmoil and beauty that's present

i just wish everyone on earth could be more attentive this way, in all aspects of their lives. i think it's a little thing that could make the world a "better" place
>>
>>49462339
Not the guy you're responding to, but I agree whole heartedly. I've listened to "difficult" music in the bast, but R + 7 opened me up in a sort of weird way. I listened to it this past winter and it felt like the first time I'd really /heard/ music. Like, it takes a bit of attention to listen to OPN. You can't just listen to it passively. I've since been reevaluating how I listen to all music and it feels as though it's spilling into my life as well. I blame my 4.0 last semester on OPN and beer.
>>
>>49462422
Hah! Well there ya go. OPN making a difference

Meanwhile my philosophy is not as supportive of alcohol but admittedly these days I've had a soft spot for gin. but i guess that's besides the point
>>
>>49462562
All things in moderation.
>>
This is a now an OPN r album rating thread

Replica>R+7>>>Returnal>>>>>>>>>>>>>Russian Minds
>>
>>49462687
R + 7 > Russian Mind > Replica

Haven't listened to Returnal.
>>
>>49462594
aint that the truth. This of course includes moderation in moderation.

>>49462687
R+7 >= Replica >= Returnal >= Rifts >= R+7
>>
>>49462109
why is that?
>>
>>49462687
Replica > Returnal > R+7 > BitO > Russian Minds
>>
>>49462721
Rifts is a compilation of 3 of his albums bruh, it's not really an r album because none of them originally started with an r
>>
>>49462687
Rifts > Returnal > Replica = R+7
>>
>>49462761
None of his work sparkles or allures. It just kind of sits there. Its message is bland and sort of cliche and lacking any sense of importance.
>>
Chuck Person > OPN
>>
>>49462798
False

Eccojams isn't even great vaporwave
>>
>>49462816
It's my favorite album of all time.
>>
If there shall be one album to be 'modern art music', this is the only one that should be it.
>>
>>49462833
>only one
Faust, King Crimson, Talk Talk, and Spiritualized would like a word with you.
>>
File: the abyss.jpg (52 KB, 526x468) Image search: [Google]
the abyss.jpg
52 KB, 526x468
>>
File: theywait.jpg (68 KB, 500x331) Image search: [Google]
theywait.jpg
68 KB, 500x331
>>49462079
>>49462109
love Actress
Splazsh > RIP > Ghettoville > Hazyville > Rainy Dub
and I give Ghettoville an 8.1 for context
>>
>>49462816
>eccojams
>vaporwave
oh the audacity
>>
>>49462943
>implying
>>
File: 0.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>49462138
It was in that redbull academy lecture I think here's the whole thing:

http://vimeo.com/32482687

yeah, it was there here's the part:

Participant: The Oneohtrix stuff you do doesn’t have much drums on it. Was that an aesthetic decision or was it just that drums are hard?

Oneohtrix Point Never: Drums are very hard, I’m not good at them to be honest. I never was, it’s my air instrument. Whenever I fantasize about coming back in another lifetime I’m a drummer and I’m wearing mesh shorts and just pounding away. It’s incredible, I think there’s a way to insinuate rhythm without having severe drum skills.

Participant: I know what you mean, using arpeggiation or all sorts of things, but let’s say that tomorrow you wake up in your mesh shorts and you’re an awesome drummer, would you have drums on that stuff? Or have you developed rhythm in such a way that now it’s done?

Oneohtrix Point Never: I know what you mean, but I don’t think so, not in this lifetime. What I’m good at doing is creating this slightly offset space, this space that’s my own and part of it was when you have the rhythm track that’s hard that’s fixed, you’re on rails, in a way that I’m never comfortable with in my musical context. But clearly, Premier is fucking awesome. I listen to so much music with drums that I don’t feel is limited by those drums whatsoever. If I added drums I’d just feel like I’m doing some Flying Lotus stuff or whatever. And he’s real good at what he does, but I don’t think it’s for me necessarily.
>>
>>49462795
I can get why you feel that way interms of finding his music to be stagnant. I haven't read too many interview with him discussing the motivation he has behind his music, so forgive me for asking what you find bland about his message
>>
>>49463035
>Redbull Academy
>the same people who said Steve Reich won "A Nobel Prize in Music"
I had to stop myself from yelling at my computer
>>
>tfw there are hardly any video interviews with James ferraro
>>
>>49463415
Theres an hour long interview opn and ferarro did for some sort of lecture, but no ones ripped it as far as i know : (
>>
>>49463415
get rapture adrenaline. it has a 20 min bonus feature of him riding around LA pointing and talking about his favorite places in the city
>>
File: ambncover.jpg (1 MB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
ambncover.jpg
1 MB, 900x900
>>
>>49462849
>Spiritualized
>not Can
>>
File: cover.jpg (2 MB, 3543x3543) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
2 MB, 3543x3543
>>
File: cover.jpg (31 KB, 283x409) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
31 KB, 283x409
>>
File: download (1).jpg (4 KB, 221x228) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
4 KB, 221x228
>>
>>49460490
all I like from OPN are "I only have eyes for you" and
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNOMk9d6NI8

this fucking loop.
That's about it. How do I get into OPN?
>>
>>49464835
just pretend you like them
>>
>>49464835
if you like that loop then listen to the full song it originates from, "Along" from R+7. Then get into R+7 because it's one of the most wonderful albums of the decade

Or just get really stoned and listen to Rifts, idunno
>>
>>49464359
this
>>
>>49464359
What is this supposed to be? A ballsack? A planet? A black guy's forehead?
>>
File: 1408120547185.jpg (9 KB, 235x224) Image search: [Google]
1408120547185.jpg
9 KB, 235x224
>>49464858
that makes sense.
>>
>>49462687
Replica = Beytrayed in The Octagon > R + 7 > Memory Vague = Zones Without People > Returnal
>>
>>49464835
If you listen close enough you will notice that it's not just a loop. If you think about how drums are structured in a song they are pretty much looped in a lot of pop music. Just pretend that the loop is the drums to this track.
>>
Eccojams > Replica > R+7 > Soundsystem Pastoral > everything else > his collaborations
>>
>>49464986
a black guy's balls.
>>
>>49461472
lost and safe is best.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.