[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/jazz/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 26
File: destination.png (277 KB, 572x572) Image search: [Google]
destination.png
277 KB, 572x572
No jazz thread?

Thoughts on recent listens?
Favorite albums?
Favorite solo from favorite album?
Do you play?
What have you been practicing lately?
>>
File: Snusmumriken.gif (1018 KB, 499x374) Image search: [Google]
Snusmumriken.gif
1018 KB, 499x374
Listens to Charles Mingus - Let My Children Hear Music. Really liking it so far.
I play double bass myself and my studies have just started so I've just started practicing the basics.
>>
>>49220353
post recordings of your playing
>>
>>49219946
>Thoughts on recent listens?
I cannot get enough Herbie Hancock lately. I especially like his Miles Davis albums.
>>
More pianists like McCoy Tyner?
>>
>>49219946
Please /jazz/ recommend me some free jazz that isn't all loud and busy and cluttered the whole way through.
>>
I'm just sinking my teeth into the classics now fir the first time and its pretty fun.
>>
>recent listens
pic related. Really really great.

What does /jazz/ think of Charlie Christian?
>>
i finally got around to listening to Destinations Unknown after having it recommended weeks ago. it was pretty good but it didn't blow me away like i thought it would. what other modern jazz should i check out?
>>
>>49219946
After years of listening to jazz A Love Supreme is probably still my favorite.

I used to play guitar but I don't know shit about playing jazz. I can tell it's hard though.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (3 KB, 90x90) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
3 KB, 90x90
mostly Diz, Oscar Peterson and Ray Brown. Pic related is one of my favs in the CC series.
>>49220895
andrew hill comes to mind
>>49220994
maybe you've been listening to the wrong stuff, I'd try Bud Powell - Bud!
>>49221047
Charlies Christian's the man! I'm not even crazy about Goodman but his work with him is extraordinary. have you heard the jam sessions at Minton's album? features lots of bebop greats like Monk, Roy Eldridge, Hot Lips Page.

has anyone here seen "Jackie McLean on Mars"? Superb short film about his later career as educator and an out jazz evergreen. Essential viewing imo.
http://vimeo.com/12192828
>>
>>49221094
I wasn't crazy about that album on first listen but I've listened to it two more times now and it's starting to click. It's kind of traditional I guess but what they're playing is just on another level.
>>
>>49221012
jazz is just fun music to listen to
>>
>>49221094
to me Coltrane is really the most shining example of what third stream jazz developed into. try listening to crescent or a love supreme. giant steps is probably my favorite of his hard bop records though.
>>
File: pict120_DizMonk (1).jpg (409 KB, 1000x656) Image search: [Google]
pict120_DizMonk (1).jpg
409 KB, 1000x656
>>49221405
>mfw this is what plebs actually think
go listen to basshunter.
>>
>>49221385
thanks but when i said modern jazz i meant like "recent" jazz
>>
I know I'm late but I'm just getting into Woody Shaw. Cassandranite was amazing. Favorite Shaw recordings?
>>
File: Voyager_Live_By_Night.png (2 MB, 1069x966) Image search: [Google]
Voyager_Live_By_Night.png
2 MB, 1069x966
>>49221094
>>
File: front1.jpg (12 KB, 300x301) Image search: [Google]
front1.jpg
12 KB, 300x301
Jemeel Moondoc is a rather unknown and underrated figure in the avant-garde jazz scene (much like the late Fred Anderson). As a player, Allmusic compares him to the likes of Ornette Coleman, Charles Tyler and Jackie McLean.

Anyway, great modern creative jazz. Recommended for people who don't care that much for the overblowers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjMTG8z9S3M
>>
>>49221094
I didn't think that album was that great. Idk why jtg hypes it so much.
>>
>>49220353
where do you go to school, and who is your teacher?
>>
>>49221864
I actually like this quite a bit expect one thing: why doesn't the guitarist take the time to properly tune his instrument?
>>
>>49219946
Practicing?

Mostly audition material for upcoming placements, really. It kinda blows because I don't have time to do most of my usual daily stuff, but listening to the other guys I'm pretty ahead of the game so I might be able to coast a little, inshallah.

Other than working on charts, mostly working on physical stuff. I have a goofy embouchure than might have to get changed in the upcoming year so I've been working on an aesthetically perfect setup--that way if I need to change it won't be like pulling teeth and I won't miss any work.
>>
>>49219946
Jackie McLean is fucking awesome.
>>
>>49222231
Who knows. I haven't listened to that album (it was just the only track from an album I found on Youtube).
>>
>>49222231
i have a copy of this, but i have not had an opportunity to listen to it yet.. looks like there is no guitar on it?
john voigt, plays an electric upright.. maybe that's what you're hearing? based on the lineup, i doubt he is trying to provide a traditional role or play anything that is considered traditional supportive harmony ..
lol i might just delete it
>>
File: 40482_pro.jpg (20 KB, 280x250) Image search: [Google]
40482_pro.jpg
20 KB, 280x250
>>49222424
>john voigt, plays an electric upright
>>
>>49222492
derp

http://art-energy.org/johnmusician.html
>>
>>49222540
it was a joke m8
>>
>>49222570
o rly?
>>
bumping this thread
>>
>>49219946
What's the best Jackie McLean album?
>>
>>49221864
pretty cool
>>
>>49223302
pic related is my personal favorite
>>
File: front.jpg (815 KB, 2850x1415) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
815 KB, 2850x1415
>>49223302
THIS pic related is my personal favorite
>>
>>49222315
türkmüsün yarram
>>
>>49219946
Currently listening to this. Very well recorded for 1955 and progressive music for then too.

Lately I've been trying to work on my left hand dexterity so I've been practicing sort of 2-part duets between my hands and trying to improvise thematically.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1cd57tDB0Mj

>>49223302
Lately I've been thinking Action! is his best.
>>
>>49223597
Jim Hall looks really dorky on that cover
>>
>>49223678
Buddy Collette is also striking a Lester Young pose.
>>
Any of you Woody Shaw fans heard this album? What do you think about his takes on the Shaw tunes? What do you think about him using guitar for the tunes when Shaw almost never recorded with guitarists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8xhnqaK1A8
>>
What's your favorite Charlie Parker solo? I've always been partial to this one for whatever reason. Miles' solo isn't that great though. And I think it's Duke Jordan on piano?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b2AOlCGpKY
>>
>>49223433
sick album, jimmy garrison such an underrated bassist
>>
File: completeliveatbirdland.png (1 MB, 796x800) Image search: [Google]
completeliveatbirdland.png
1 MB, 796x800
>>49224152
I love his version of Lover Man with Ray Brown on bass. not the heroin one, the good one. absolute classic.
pic related also has great moments.
>>
>>49224152
>not confirmation
>>
>>49224186
yea.. i love JG's pre-Coltrane playing
Lee Konitz - Live At The Half Note immediately comes to mind
>>
>>49224264
Yeah but what version?
>>
File: alone in san francisco.jpg (24 KB, 197x195) Image search: [Google]
alone in san francisco.jpg
24 KB, 197x195
I'm loving Thelonious Alone in San Francisco

Can anyone recommend me more jazz which is based entirely on a single player?
>>
File: aloneatvanguard.png (149 KB, 371x369) Image search: [Google]
aloneatvanguard.png
149 KB, 371x369
>>49224323
>>
>>49224268
that's a fantastic record. his bass solos when coltrane was doing his really out live shows are also pretty spine-tingling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HEhV1dQvCE

anyone here heard trane live at the jazz gallery 1960? it's his first live show with mccoy tyner, contains some of the most expressive, dynamite solos of both men's careers.
>>
File: budpow-genius.jpg (357 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
budpow-genius.jpg
357 KB, 600x600
>>49224323
well, not entirely solo, but mostly.
>>
>>49224152
Man. Must have been great being a 20-year-old kid and taking a solo right after Charlier Parker. And by great I mean fucking terrifying.

I just read Miles' autobiography and Minton's Playhouse sounded like a brutal place.
>>
Am I the only one who found this boring on the first listen?
>>
>>49224457
it was really a take no prisoners kind of affair.

"But after playing dates with the Hines Orchestra, sidemen Gillespie, Parker, Webster and a few others slipped off to a club in Harlem called Minton's Playhouse where they jammed for hours. Gillespie recalled, 'There were always some cats showing up there who couldn't blow at all.' One was a tenor player they called 'Demon' who tried to dominate the jam sessions. Gillespie called him 'The first freedom player – free of harmony, free of rhythm, free of everything!' One night, when Demon was playing chorus after chorus, Teddy Hill, the manager of Minton's, stood in front of the bandstand with his arms folded and yelled, 'Demon, get off my bandstand!' Gillespie said, 'We began to work out some complex variations on chords and we used them to scare away the no-talent guys.'"
>>
>>49224408
I haven't heard this before. I'll have to check it out.
>>
>>49224497
not really. it was the first jazz album I ever heard probably, and I only ever liked the lead-off track and title track. the rest is kind of meh. try their live at carnegie hall album, it's much more inspired.
>>
>>49224246
is that Teddy Kotick on the cover w/ Bird?
it's definitely not Tommy Potter and i'm pretty sure it's also not Curley Russell, both who are credited on the record
*shrug* .. maybe it's Curley Russell.. though i believe he was generally photographed with a much lighter bass and i believe his skin was also somewhat darker

also: My favorite Parker solos would be Live at St Nick's poor sound quality, but fucken-A .. burnin .. Roy Haynes too!

>>49224408
yea man.. i wasn't trying to disparage his work with JC

>>49224497
no. it IS kinda boring, though i cannot really hate that band or brubeck himself..
>>
>>49224504
What's the source of that Demon story?
>>
>>49224609
>>49224504
Oh wait. I found it.
>>
>>49224572
he does look kind of white... but it might be curley.
have you heard misterioso by monk? roy haynes and monk were so great together. almost telepathic. too bad they couldn't find a better bassist, not to discount abdul-malik but his playing just isn't up there. and man johnny griffin, what a fucking solid blower.

anyone here tend to get old popular jazz tunes stuck in their head? right now I can't stop listening to Cab Calloway's "A Bee Gezindt" really funny song, and it cooks.
>>
>>49222231
He probably slightly purposefully detuned it for that sort of ragtag drunken effect that the piece has.
>>
>>49224660
i constantly get tunes in my head.. especially when listening to singers.. not really a particular favorite and i don't like most of her stuff, but i was checking-out a Blossom Deary record and i really like the way she sang Deed I Do
and anytime i put on a Billie Holiday record, i generally end up learning the words to something i overlooked previously - I'll Never Be The Same; I Wished On The Moon; Sugar; Foolin Myself; When Your Lover Has Gone etc
>>
>>49224929
makes sense, only it's kind of irritating to me, guitars being kind of fixed pitch and all and having perfect pitch.
>>49225000
blossom dearie, been meaning to listen to her.
nice trips
>>
>>49224660
Not really that old or popular but whenever I hear Syeeda's Song Flute it gets stuck in my head.
>>
>>49225049
>blossom dearie
eh.. i generally don't like her voice all that much .. she seems to have a really flat or limited range of expressiveness and sounds almost like a little kid..
personally, i'd rather listen to Billie Holiday.. or Abbey Lincoln.. also heavily dig Helen Merrill -- what a badass
>>
>>49225051
>Syeeda's Skin Flute gets stuck in my mouth.

sorry bro, couldn't help myself
>>
>>49219946

What does /mu/ think of Gregory Porter?
>>
>>49224535
the thing is, I do not understand why it bores me so. I do not know if it is brubeck's piano or the sax that comes on.
>>
Can you jazz guys help me out with something?
I like this very mellow, just sax and piano ambient jazz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u92kvmB_6SY
Is there a certain sub genre to this? Or is it just a regular paino sax instrumental. Also if you guys have anything similar I would love to hear it, thanks.
>>
>>49221576

Probably either that album he did with Hubbard, or a live album...can't remember, Stepping Stones I think? That was pretty good
>>
File: september.png (228 KB, 1780x1610) Image search: [Google]
september.png
228 KB, 1780x1610
/daily/ poster here. I'm not familiar with jazz, so I want to make september a jazz month. I wanted to organise the month in a way, and I decided to break it down both by instruments, and subgenres. The subgenre restrictions are self explanatory, the instrument restrictions mean I'm going to listen to an album by an artist playing that instrument, solo, or with a band, or an album where that instrument shines. This is the setup I have now. Right now, I'd like to know if this looks doable or not, as in will I be able to find an at least half decent album for each day. If not, what changes should I make to make it easier on myself? I have doubts about the guitar and drum weeks, but I didn't want so many wind instruments on there, but if necesseary, I'll replace those, and anything else, really. If anyone has any recommendations, I'll gladly accept those as well.
>>
>>49230662
Cool chart. And to answer your question

>as in will I be able to find an at least half decent album for each day
Yes.
>>
I'm still fairly new to the genre but I'd like to start trying to play some jazz since it sounds so fun to play. I have a keyboard so I thought I'd give it a try playing some jazz piano. I only really know the basics of theory like major and minor chords and some scales.

So where do I start with jazz piano? I don't really have money to take lessons.
>>
>>49230662
Here would be my picks for you if you're interested.

1. Woody Shaw- Cassandranite
2. Chet Baker- Chet Baker Sings
3. Lee Morgan- The Sidewinder
4. Miles Davis- E.S.P.
5. Freddie Hubbard- Red Clay
6. Don Cherry- Mu

7. Ornette Coleman- The Shape of Jazz to Come
8. Sam Rivers- Contours
9. Stan Getz- West Coast Jazz
10. Joe Henderson- Page One
11. Wayne Shorter- Speak No Evil
12. Joe Henderson- Multiple
13. Eric Dolphy- Iron Man

14. Cecil Taylor- Unit Structures
15. Andrew Hill- Point of Departure
16. Bill Evans- Sunday at the Village Vanguard
17. Horace Silver- and the Jazz Messengers
18. Herbie Hancock- Maiden Voyage
19. Chick Corea and RtF- Light as a Feather
20. Craig Taborn Trio- Chants

21. Sonny Sharrock- Black Woman
22. Pat Martino- Exit
23. Jim Hall/Bill Evans- Interplay
24. Grant Green- Solid
25. Johnathan Kreisberg- Nine Stories Wide
26. Pat Metheny Group- s/t
27. Derek Bailey/Dave Holland- Improvisations for Cello and Guitar

28. Billy Hart- Enchance
29. Tony Williams- Lifetime
30. Chico Hamilton Quintet in Hi Fi
>>
>>49232789
Wow, thanks. This is great.
>>
>>49231922
Well the first step is just to get your piano and theory fluency up to a higher level. You've got to be intimately familiar with the piano and with the harmony. Practice your scales until you can do every major and minor scale quickly in two octaves without even thinking about it. You're going to be able to want to play all your major and minor chords immediately in any inversion too.

Then to work on your theory I'd recommend finding some online resources to figure out how to do Roman numeral analysis. Practice with Bach chorales until you can just look at the piece and start analyzing it harmonically.

Then you're about ready to start playing jazz.
>>
>>49232973
No problem. If you end up using some of those albums I'll be interested to see what you think of them come September.

Do you use like colors or numbers or something to rate the albums?
>>
>>49232973
Oh but if you're completely new to jazz you may also want to give a listen to Kind of Blue, A Love Supreme and Black Saint and the Sinner Lady as well. They're all essentials.
>>
>Recent listens
Chet baker doing it big on this track, 1:00 in marks his part and it is extraordinary. Though I am just a chet baker fan.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_4A2rsHDeU
Also been listening to soil and pimp, a pretty badass japanese band that plays super fast songs
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQMgXPFzdg8
>>
>>49232789
>23. Jim Hall/Bill Evans- Interplay

I meant Undercurrent not Interplay
>>
Anyone got any hard bop suggestions?
Totally into ornette colemans sound just as a direction to follow. Not too much on the free jazz side though.
>>
>>49233042
This month I've been using numbers, but given how little I know about jazz I think I'll have to come up with a different method. I don't think I'll be able to rate them beyond "I enjoyed this" and "I didn't enjoy this". I'll try though.

>>49233111
They told me the same thing over at /daily/ when I came up with the idea. I decided to listen to these, as well as The Shape of Jazz to Come this month to prepare for september. I listened to Kind of Blue already, and I downloaded the rest. I'll listen to all of them this week.
>>
>>49233226
I'd recommend looking into Jackie McLean. He definitely has a more Ornette approach to playing but his music tends to stick more within the realm of hard bop. Check out Let Freedom Ring and One Step Beyond. Both incredibly good records.
>>
>>49233251
Cool. I'm just always interested in the opinions of those who are new to the genre. What did you think of Kind of Blue?
>>
>>49233364
http://youtu.be/-mmlngGRs3U?t=1m33s
Man this is pretty fucking good. I have a bunch of Jackie on my hard drive, but I never touched the stuff before.

Anymore ideas?

Just found a folder with Bud powell playing tempus fugit. This one is good, But and chet made some good songs together too.
>>
File: insight.png (580 KB, 684x674) Image search: [Google]
insight.png
580 KB, 684x674
>>49233439
I don't think any of the tracks from this are on youtube but this is worth checking out. I'm pretty sure its on spotify.
>>
>>49224323
Try his album "Solo monk"
>>
>>49233364
I think it was the first jazz album that wasn't free that I thoroughly enjoyed (I didn't listen to a lot of jazz, free or otherwise, so that's not saying much). It was relaxing, but engaging, I didn't have to struggle to pay attention. It was great, I loved it.
>>
>>49219946
Just started listening to Jazz. I absolutely love Moanin' from Art Blakey. Jazz is so beautiful. Any recommendations for something similar to moanin'?
>>
>>49233632
Excellent.
>>
>>49233761
Blakey has probably 10 other albums that are very similar to Moanin'
>>
>>49233842
Any projects where there aren't many drum solos/ not drum focused?
>>
>>49233891
I mean it's Blakey's band. I'm pretty sure most of them have some drum solos. Maybe check out some Horace Silver quintet records.
>>
>>49233931
>Horace Silver quintet records
Will do, thanks.
>>
>>49233842
How long have you been listening to jazz?
>>
>>49233987
like 6-7 years ish
>>
Bumping with some good shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1910vLoSzM

What do you guys think about the Live at Smalls series? Any favorites? Anybody ever watch their live streams on their website? How fucking good are Ari Hoenig, Will Vinson, and Johnathan Kreisberg?
>>
Anybody else like David Axelrod? I fucking love this album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atz5tDqvi-g
>>
And how about some love for this awesome album? Damn. When do you ever get to hear Getz really tear it up like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0npqGe-_JQ
>>
>>49234560
>>49234745
A little too fusion for my tatses but decent stuff none the less. For some reason I hate fusion jazz with a passion.
>those feels when you can't listen to all of miles davis work without cringing
>>
>>49234938
that's a shame
>>
Anyone listen to Lee Konitz's Sound of Suprise? Killer playing, no piano. My favorite track is probably soddy and bowl but all of them are great
>>
What about Ray Bryant, anybody like him? Not the most progressive player or anything but awesome in his simplicity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsY2IdxMfic

Also I found out the other day that Duane, Robin and Kevin Eubanks are his nephews.
>>
>>49235560
Oh that's the one that John Abercrombie plays on isn't it?

Good record.
>>
>>49235698
im not even a /jazz/ regular and im sick of you shitting up jazz threads. please slit your wrists.
>>
>>49235758
Why would I do that? Only scumbags like you deserve to die.
>>
>>49235636
Yeah!
>>
>>49235698
>>49235758
>>49235817
hurry up and fuck already
>>
File: Vipassana.jpg (50 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Vipassana.jpg
50 KB, 600x600
>>49221854

honestly? each member of voyager is one of my favorite if not my favorite on each instrument, and I really am not a fan of that album. it's too self congratulatory and it doesn't come together as a coherent album. I'm finally checking out the new album after some initial resistance to buying it (pic related) and I'm still kinda disappointed. for completely different reasons. I could point people to a dozen albums where all 6 of these musicians sound so, so much better
>>
>>49230662
you should set aside a day for modern jazz (i.e. modern tuesdays) especially when 3 of your days heavily overlap; post-bop, cool and modal.

Personal suggestions:
Sax: Walter Smith III - Casually Introducing
Trumpet: Terence Blanchard - Magnetic
Piano: Aaron Parks - Nemesis OR Robert Glasper - Double Booked OR Brad Mehldau - Largo
Guitar: Kurt Rosenwinkel - Star of Jupiter OR Nir Felder - Golden Age
Drums: Brian Blade - Season of Changes

thanks for doing this btw
>>
>>49234560
based as fuck

the only other two i have are bernstein/goldings/stewart and will vinson, which are both pretty different but solid albums. punk bop is my fave though. don't sleep on tigran's playing either... his solo on green spleen is fucking nuts
>>
>>49236642
>not Modern Monday and Free Friday
>>49230662
Yeah I was also thinking there is a lot of overlap between post-bop/hard bop/modal. And then between avant and free jazz too. It would be a cool idea to do a modern or bebop or pre-bebop day.
>>
File: liveseamus.png (656 KB, 749x668) Image search: [Google]
liveseamus.png
656 KB, 749x668
>>49236758
You should check this one out. It's similarly badass.
>>
>>49234560
damn thats good shit
>>
Hey guys, I'm hard into classical as a saxophone, piano, and double bass player, but lately I've been wanting to get into jazz. What are some great entry level albums. I've tried quite a few, like headhunters, but I just don't like it, there's no substance to it. But I love Sinatra and most big band/orchaestral jazz. Any recommendations? Thank you!
>>
>>49237140
>herbie hancock
>no substance
get the fuck out right now
>>
>>49237196
I'm..... I'm sorry, I don't know another way to explain it
>>
File: Brooklyn Babylon.jpg (143 KB, 600x536) Image search: [Google]
Brooklyn Babylon.jpg
143 KB, 600x536
>>49237406
serious answer, check out this album.
>>
>>49237196
meh headhunters is all funk but I don't think it's as, meditative/emotional, as something like Maiden Voyage.
>>
File: destinations.png (241 KB, 670x670) Image search: [Google]
destinations.png
241 KB, 670x670
>>49237140
Give this a listen. I bet the classical musician in you will appreciate the musicianship and the subtly layered, contrapuntal style of composition.
>>
>>49237597
>>49237578
Thanks, will give these a try
>>
>>49237597
you always post this thread, I'll have to actually listen to it.

BTW JTG: mutracker might be having a jazz contest soon, it would be cool for you to upload some shit and share it
>>
>>49238924
this album not thread
>>
>>49237597
Got it in a sharethread , dope jazz
>>
>>49237140
Did you try A Love Supreme?
>>
I want something like this, but even more excessive. What should I listen to?
>>
>>49234891
damn.
>>
>>49242206
Excessive in what way?
>>
>>49234745
god damn, that album is so fucking good
>>
How do I into free jazz? Shape of Jazz to Come was ok but just not that energetic. Ascension had good energy but was just so dissonant and cluttered.
>>
>>49236642
that aaron parks record is actually called invisible cinema

but i agree with most of your suggestions except maybe terence blanchard (ambrose? christian scott?)
>>
>>49234938
not even in a silent way?
>>
>>49221207
Do you like the solo works of ray brown aswell?
>>
>>49237140
talking shit on herbie isn't going to win you any favors, lmao... his music is definitely more substantial than sinatra.

anyway since you like big band music obviously check that shit out. old and new; i imagine you're somewhat familiar with duke ellington, basie and the like (if not check them out), but more modern big band music can also be great. gil evans, maria schneider, darcy james argue...

otherwise, just a guess, but you might like some cool and early third stream stuff, since it's more composed and formally thought out. miles davis' birth of the cool, the modern jazz quartet, lennie tristano, gunther schuller
>>
>>49237597
damn, that's a nice lineup. not that guy but i'll give this a listen
>>
File: Folder.jpg (40 KB, 240x237) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
40 KB, 240x237
Joe Lovano - Sounds of Joy

It's a rare record and it's fucking great. Anthony Cox goes ham on the bass and Ed Blackwell is always off the chain. Lovano, of course, kills it.

I'm going back to music school in two weeks, and seeing how I'm just going to be learning Charlie Parker shit there I've been trying to listen to as much interesting stuff and incorporating that into my playing. So I'm just kinda playing standards and trying to phrase like Lovano and some other guys I like
>>
>>49244280
wow, that's really embarrassing. I think that's just the first song name I saw while scrolling through my library and I typed it by accident. Ambrose's new record might be a good choice because it's so different than his others, but by and large I tried to get a diverse array of albums and Ambrose is already somewhat represented on Walter's album, since their musical styles tend to be pretty similar. (I guess there is overlap on some of the other albums too though.) I considered Christian aTunde Adjuah but it's a pretty long album. Terence's new joint is really good if you haven't checked it out.
>>
>>49244534
i've heard some terence and i'm down with it, not that record tho. i'll check it out. i just thought those guys might be more exciting, but i hear you on the walter thing, and lenght
>>
>>49244331
The instruments sound very "explosive" at times. Fast and loud, especially the brass instruments.
>>
>>49244706
again i ask if you've given miles davis' album "in a silent way" a try. it's totally different from most fusion, very quiet and subtle. some would call it almost ambient.
>>
File: captian-black-big-band.jpg (33 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
captian-black-big-band.jpg
33 KB, 500x500
>>49244806
You should check out the Captain Black Big Band
>>
>>49238924
>>49244468
Let me know what you think of it.
>>
>>49245597
i'm almost done with it. very cool record. i see what you mean about the very contrapuntal nature of the tunes. and it's a very collaborative-feeling band, which i appreciate
>>
>>49245781
Yeah the compositions themselves are so complex and intricate. It's almost more like big band music. And I think they perfectly blend in so many of the different styles of jazz into one cohesive sound. Yeah the interplay is just unreal too.
>>
>>49236488
Wow, I've never heard anyone say anything like that. Because I agree, they're some of my very favorite musicians. And stuff like Daylight at Midnight, III, and Sounding Point are some of my favorites, as well (plus any lpethora of records that Eric Harland has been on). What albums are you thinking of when you say that?
>>
>>49244476
>rare record
>on Spotify

But Ed fuckin' Blackwell and Lovano on the same record? CHRIST. And Lovano playing free?

Thank you Anon, this is now in my rotation.
>>
>>49246207
Walter Smith III: Casually Introducing, III and most likely Still Casual
Taylor Eigsti: Daylight at Midnight, Let it Come to You, Conviction (Kendrick Scott album)
Julian Lage: Gladwell, Sounding Point
Eric Harland: anything
Harish Raghavan: any of Ambrose's albums
and Nir Felder who was on Vipassana has a great album of his own from this year as well
>>
Guys

What are some great clarinet players? I only know of Eric Dolphy and maybe one or two more.
I prefer more melodic stuff, without many "random" notes (whatever, I don't like harmony-less improv.), and I've been in love with the sound of this instrument.
>>
>>49242206
Are you meaning excessive as in amount of bandmembers or what? Are you just hoping for an album with more instruments?
>>
>>49242131
Yes, I wasn't a fan. But I listened to destinations unknown and I really like it
>>
>>49245972
What's your opinion on BADBADNOTGOOD and Squarepusher (more specifically, Music is Rotted One Note)?
>>
>>49248981
BBNG isn't terrible or anything but I don't think they're great. The hip hop and pop covers are a cool idea but I think they could push the arrangements a little more. They're not bad but I think their technical abilities aren't the greatest.

Never listened to Squarepusher
>>
>>49248819
Glad you liked it. If you want more along those lines just check out the catalog of releases from Criss Cross Jazz. In general their releases are all top notch.
>>
>>49249580
Ok, will do. Also is there any good string based jazz ensembles? Not guitars, more traditional bowed strings. Oh and what's the best sax quartet to start off with? Pref SATB
>>
>>49249701
Maybe Masada and Bar Kokhba?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbn5vG4MLCM
>>
>>49249701
Here are some favorites of mine that use string sections-

Gene Bertoncini- Concerti
Gil Goldstein- Under Rousseau's Moon
Radio.string.quartet.vienna (any of their albums)
John Escreet- Sabotage and Celebration
Vijay Iyer- Mutations (not really jazz)

As for sax quartets, I don't know any who play jazz.
>>
As for sax quartets, the World Saxophone Quartet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Saxophone_Quartet
Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.