[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Questions that don't deserve their own thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 22
QTDDTOT: Producer edition.
Ask other producers and musicians questions that have been troubling your sleep and giving you headaches. Or, you can share your artisan knowledge with your fellow producers in need.

I'll kick it off with asking a simple question.
Does this mix sound too compressed, or is it just me being paranoid because my mastering knowledge is weak?

>https://soundcloud.com/riveer-1/xx-remix/s-cC9sH

(This is not a soundcloud thread, but if SC helps you ask your question or answer one, you are by all means welcome)
>>
Bumping with some producer humor I stole from facebook.
>>
>>
File: 1405815820473.jpg (4 KB, 145x130) Image search: [Google]
1405815820473.jpg
4 KB, 145x130
Why are the most popular songs by an artist almost always their worst?
>>
>>
I have incredible trouble making a lead. Like, I can kick out a sick backing track, like it's fucking nothing. But I don't have lead ideas. Anybody help? I'm also looking for nice jazzy (sax, trombone etc) samples if anybody has any
>>
>>49213082
Because a lot of people tend to like things other people like, and then its just this big chain reaction. That's my theory, at least.
>>
File: photo.jpg.png (12 KB, 120x120) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg.png
12 KB, 120x120
Sytrus or Toxic?
>>
>>49213126
That kinda depends on the mix you are working on. Leads are, for me, one of the hardest thing to fit in the mix. What genre are you in?
Also, for the brass samples, you can either try
>DSK Brass
>Sample Tank 2
I haven't tried much brass samples tho, but sample tank 2's brass samples are usable. DSK Brass is, if I remember correctly, free. They are probably not the best, but you'll just have to try and see.
>>
>>49213169
I rarely use any of them, but I guess Sytrus for me. The only reason is that I use Sytrus for making 808 kicks.
>>
>>49213235
I bounce around a lot. House, progressive, electro.
>>
>>49213300
The way I got into making my own leads for house and electro was by watching youtube tutorials on a specific VST for a specific sound. I think a lot of producers do this, if not, it's highly underrated. You learn so much about engineering your own sound that way. If you have watched shitloads of tuts like me, I guess you might have to try a new VST. The standards are Sylenth1, Massive, Nexus etc, but if you haven't tried Spire or Razor, you should check them out.
>>
Here's a question:

Is it pronounced pleb or pleeb? Becuase plebeian is pronounced pleebeian
>>
>>49215347
Pleb.
>>
>>49215347
Plebeian comes from Latin and is pronounced like Pleh-bayen
>>
>>49213082
This sums up >>49213048 so fucking much
>>
>>49215347
It's technically pleeeeb, but calling someone a pleeeeb sounds stupid as fuck so everyone says "pleb'
>>
>>49215476
That's what I thought
>>
is it really necessary to use third party plug ins?

I use renoise and almost exclusively use whatever it came with and just supply my own samples and some synths but never find myself using fancy eq's or reverbs and what nots.

I always see people talking about this and that, maybe i am missing out, doesn't seem worth it tbh
>>
>>49215572
Reverb can make a shitty song alot better because it fills in the empty space, so it's used alot for that reason, and brings a nice ascetic to it.
>>
>>49213108
kek
>>
>>49213072
can someone explain this?
>>
>>49215801
You don't belong in this thread
>>
File: index.jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
9 KB, 225x225
>>49215485
rather ironic, isn't it?
>>
>>49215801
EQing snares is easy because what you need it to do is pack punch to cut through the mix. A shit kick will be harder to fix, because you need to take into consideration the whole mix, usually sub and bass ranges but also the tops depending on the kind of kick you're using. But a lot of EQ will alter significantly the character, so it's undesirable as a process.

In practice, though, the ideal condition is to pick good-sounding samples (instead of trying to polish less-than-stellar ones) and doing subtractive EQ on them, removing what you don't like instead of emphasizing what you do. Also, slight sidechain can help more than EQ on making drums stand out.
>>
>>49213126
I know this feel and it's making me want to quit out of frustration
>>
>>49216945
>>49215801
>>49216945
... or just use a new sample, EQing is meant to enhance and tweak, if you don't like the initial sound something is making, don't bother poking around at it with an EQ for 20 minutes, find a better sample.
>>
>>49213126
>>49216947
if you play an instrument, write leads and melodies on that instrument, I personally find it to be a lot more inspirational and active than sitting at a computer clicking around trying to "feel something" out of a mouse and a keyboard. If you don't play any instruments then take up the piano and learn some basic music theory!
>>
>>49216982
literally repeating >>49216945
's second paragraph
>>
>>49215572
Each digital plugin has it's own algorithm that it uses to process your audio signal/input. That means that each plugin has it's own 'sound', and final outcome, regardless if you're using two of the exact same effect (overdrive, for example)

but honestly, at the end of the day it comes to personal preference. I love the sound of Ableton's built in compressor, so it's the compressor I use 90% of the time. On the other hand, I dislike the sound of Ableton's Reverb, so I use an external reverb plugin.
>>
What is the best way of generating melodies/drones/leads without MIDI or any piano rolls and shit?

Pitch shifting and timestretching samples lead me to some really interesting sounds, but i have no idea how to expand on that just by playing around in piano roll.
So far i've only cut things up in audacity, put different effects on various sections and try make something rhythmic out of all od them.

Also, what is a good DAW if you feel really limited by FL's loop layout, for example? I just find myself messing around recording everything Edison, bounce it out and try to add elements to that later.
>>
>>49217057
see
>>49217002
>>
>>49217071
I've given up on trying to make simple and memorable melodies. Just some messy glitchy, glossy shit that would sound good over a rhythmic beat.
>>
i have a question. are there any classic hip hop drum samples out there?

like classic huge 808s and kicks and hats and shit you hear everywhere
>>
>>49217271
thousands bruh, this is probably the best thing i've ever downloaded - it's 64 Vintage Drum machines, heaps of them you hear from hip hop.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/64en3wexjab6w9c/64%20Vintage%20Drum%20Machines.zip?dl=1
>>
>>49217271
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5a1kc11yz6pk5a/Boss%20and%20Roland%20Drum%20Machines.rar
I uploaded this for /bleeproduction/ a month ago.
>>
>>49217383
what happened to /bleeproduction/?
>>
>>49213048
>studios now has an older computer
>studios then has a newer computer

seems legit
>>
File: jeff-mangum.jpg (61 KB, 490x408) Image search: [Google]
jeff-mangum.jpg
61 KB, 490x408
Why do mods hate Plug DJ threads?
>>
recommend me a pair of entry level monitors
>>
>>49217763
dell u2412
>>
>>49217763
M Audio BX8

8 incheers aswell so they pack in a lot of low end for the price
>>
File: RP_HTF295.jpg (54 KB, 568x362) Image search: [Google]
RP_HTF295.jpg
54 KB, 568x362
Hey producers of QTDDTOT!
Are these headphones flat sounding enough for mixing?
>>
What's the most versatile method of side-chaining?
>>
>>49217804
no
also mixing on headphones is bad for your results
>>
>>49217668
Good question. I look out for it every day and even made a few threads myself, but they get deleted fast.
>>
File: tannoy.jpg (72 KB, 856x477) Image search: [Google]
tannoy.jpg
72 KB, 856x477
>>49217763
Tannoy 601a/p
>>
>>49217807

What this guy said...
You need some semi-opwn back. I just bought some DT 880s, with some Mackie monitors..just been truing to get accustomed to the set up
>>
>>49217822
>also mixing on headphones is bad for your results
mixing only* on headphones is bad for your results
>>
>>49217822
> no
Why not?
> also mixing on headphones is bad for your results
I don't have enough money for monitor speakers yet and I just want to try pro-sounding stuff
(and I can't play my shit too loud because I mostly produce rock stuff)
>>
>>49217909
>Why not?
It gives you an inaccurate representation of your stereo image, and the sound in general, as the sound is so close to your ears and picking up resonances of your ear canal :^)
>>
>>49217822
Not true for anything but phasing issues. Regardless, I recommend people to test final mixes on speakers too.

>>49217807
I like using MIDI triggered plugins such as Nicky Romero's Kickstart on a Send, and routing everything that needs sidechaining there. Then, I program the notes MIDI out in the same pattern as the drums to ensure I know what they're doing in each pattern.
>>
>>49217909
you can't hear bass in headphones, only a representation of it, your low end will sound totally different through monitors or headphones
>>
I have the Beatles white album with serial number 0161616 and a poster inside. What is it worth?
>>
>>49217909
Ideally you want to be able to mix on both monitors and headphones. If you don't have money for monitors, headphones are a good investment. To answer your original question: Those headphones are shit.
>>
>>49217959
20-25 dollars
>>
>>49217909

Headphones aren't ideal, but they're OK if you can't use monitors for whatever reason or if the room your working in doesn't have great acoustic qualities. I'm using AKG K702's for mixing right now.

Disclaimer: I'm a complete amateur without much experience, so I could be totally wrong.
>>
>>49217947
lol you crazy kids
>>
>>49217947
top K E K

oh my god how did you get this retarted
just, just get the fuck out ahahaha jesus fucking neo-/mu/ all retarded fucking liberal feminazi fedoratipping dickweds
>>
>>49217947
dude what
>>
>>49217947
hue
>>
>>49217947
>a representation of it
damn, all these years and I can STILL never come to terms that the bass is not actually the bass
>>
I mix my vocals on monitors and stuff, and it sounds alright cause not everything is clashing, and you can hear them alright. However when I play it back through the laptop speakers or something, there a bit low cause it clashes with other sounds. Should i be making music for monitor hearing or laptop hearing?
>>
How can I tell my room has been 'sound treated' correctly?

I installed a few sound absorbing panels but I can't tell if it's making a difference
>>
>>49218176
also this is the song

https://soundcloud.com/kinglionofficial/fantasy-mix-3/s-8SMxz
>>
>>49213169
sytrus for normal stuff but toxic is better for more obscure stuff/range.
>>
>>49218190
go up to your wall and talk to it about a feet away, if you feel the reverb coming from the walls (echo location) it needs to be treated.
>>
>>49218190
you gotta actually calculate the problematic frequencies (modes) in your room first, and where they're resonating from. Then you can figure out what size, and kind of treatment to get, and (most importantly) where to put them. I'm not gonna sit here and give you an Acoustics Theory 101 class over /mu/, but I would strongly recommend looking into some basic acoustic theory. Check this site out as far as checking your room for problem frequencies first:

http://bobgolds.com/Mode/RoomModes.htm
>>
>>49218251

thanks, will read this

>>49218221

No reverb coming from the wall, except in a few spots where I didn't install sound panels. I didn't wanted to make the room entirely 'neutral' or w/e the term is, since I listen music here as well and I don't need to record as much as I mix
>>
>>49218282
I'm fucking with you that's not a real test lel, listen to >>49218251
>>
Do any of you who make electronic kind of stuff play live? What equipment do you use (DJ mixer, sample stuff, keyboards)?
>>
>>49212994
it's alright to my ears, but I usually like compression in mixes. The bass could have a bit more mids and the overall mix could use a bit more high end to enhance clarity and to contrast with the voice.

Still very good if you ask me tho
>>
https://soundcloud.com/sambient/rain
is it obvious this track was made with bass heavy headphones, dont have any others available at the moment
>>
>>49218713
yeah, the bass is almost nonexistent
>>
>>49218171
>>49218162
>>49218093
>>49218060
>>49218014
he's right btw
when was the last time you felt sub in your chest through headphones
>>
>>49220568
look homie you tried
let it go
>>
This is a stupid question that probably won't get an answer, but:

How do I get the brakakaka sound with DAW drum kits? Is it possible to make a good sounding one.

Example of brakakaka: http://youtu.be/qEZSg7c6Vp4?t=1m20s
>>
>>49220812
sample it.
>>
>>49220690
please tell me how you're supposed to accurately hear a 100Hz sinewave that has a wavelength of over a foot when you have headphones directly over your ears

you fucking dumb cunt
>>
How long will it take for me to learn to master tracks? I'm sick of hearing something made of samples of old, broken records that still sounds 100x more professional than my music.
>>
how should i mix guitar and bass for a 3 piece band so it sounds full?
>>
>>49220918
Spend a substantial amount of time looking up tutorials on Youtube and dicking around in your DAW. After a week, you'll get the hang of it.

It'll take a much longer time to "master" (no pun intended) it, but it's totally worth the work.
>>
>>49221060
Double track the simple strumming patterns. Give the bass a nice, crispy mid-tone and beefy low end.
>>
>>49221138
what about panning the tracks?
>>
I am a noob, but I want to make plunderphonics/sound collages, what program/app/DAW should I use?
And how can I convert video into audio files?(guess I can look this up on google, tho)
Love you all!
>>
>>49217668
Got trolled all held by the same guy. Likely the same person he used to troll guitar general with pictures of John Frusciante and reaction images.
>>
>>49221172
Pan each guitar as far as you can on either side.

Most of your work is gonna be done on the drums. Panning and EQing the drums makes all the difference. They need to sound full on their own.
>>
>>49221198
To all hell*
>>
>>49221172
I usually do three tracks guitars for rhytm (three takes, EQed a bit differently, one left, one right, one centered.)
A lead track is different.. it depends on the sound you want really
>>
>>49221218
>>49221255
thanks guys. ill try these out
>>
File: altcover.jpg (78 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
altcover.jpg
78 KB, 500x500
How do I figure out the sounds for for a small melody? here are some examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTnBc_-QCXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3poV6FSHM8
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>49216982
This.
If it sounds shit don't use it. Use an EQ to bring out the best qualities of a sound and remove the worst. Never to try and change some shit to gold.

>>49217763
Please don't buy KRK, their sound is far too coloured. Maudio are good entry level though tbh there's nothing wrong with going second hand if the condition is good. My mate GAVE me his Adam A7X pair because he just went out and bought an Adam a77x pair. Mint condition. Hunt around!
>>49217804
Nope. Mixing on headphones isn't advisable since you won't get a natural representation since the speakers are so close to your ears. I only ever do tweaks through headphones. Rest is monitors.
>>49217947
Fuck
>>49221060
Double track guitars. Could even quadruple track if you want to be a dick about it. Remember to eq them slightly differently as to get the best out of each take. On the bass have another take layered underneath very quietly, just so it's on the brink of being audible and then distort/compress it to hell. Helps the transients come through and gives it some subtle bite. If drums are involved then parallel compression and at the very end a stereo spread plug-in is a good idea.

I have a little time. On my phone at my girlfriends whilst she's at work so I can't really listen to much with decent quality. I'm a mixer but also doing a BSc in audio technology (mostly sound design and foley etc) with mixing background. Ask me whatever.
>>
>>49221670
How do I get a job doing sound design/foley for vidya. I'm currently pursuing a Ba in music comp/new media.
>>
>>49221712
Not him, but I work in that field. Get demos on SoundCloud, visit forums and I must stress this one, do not work for free/rev share with people you don't know. It doesn't advance your career in any way, and people who can't pay you are probably not popular enough to guarantee any income anyway.

Get ready for the best job ever when it's creation time and one of the most nerve-wrecking ones when you're actually dealing with some clients.
>>
should i just release on bandcamp or keep making and sending demos to labels until i get a deal?

i produce ambient music
>>
>>49221828
>i produce ambient music
There is your problem. The market for ambient music is really overcrowded right now. Your best bet is to start making something else or diversify your ambient music into other genres a la OPN type stuff.
>>
>>49221809
do you make enough money to live on? how did you break in to the industry? thats my dream job man
>>
>>49221828
Release shit, build a following. Make a career assuming you're not getting a deal any time soon, because depending on external factors just isn't worth it.

When a label shows interest in you, you're going to look more desirable to them by having a name. By then, you might not really need them, but yeah.
>>
>>49221809
>get demos on soundcloud
Of what exactly? Just one shots? I'm not looking to score so much as I want to make an AK-47 sound like an AK-47, and make space doors that sound cool.

>dealing with some clients.
What's nerve-wreaking about it? I consider myself an "extrovert of introverts", and can usually handle interviews and the like fairly well.
>>
>>49221904
when i say ambient i mean that loosely
im not making paulstretch looped drone

a lot of my stuff can't really be called ambient, but there's not really a word to describe it. lots of my stuff has rhythms, but is abstract and/or not quantized

>>49221913
thats what im beginning to think
its tough to build an audience, feels like i have to continually just pump out albums to keep the 'hype' up
>>
>>49221904
can you name a few genres that don't have an overcrowded market at the moment?
>>
>>49221909
>do you make enough money to live on?
I make enough to help my family and everything is pointing towards things getting much better, but it takes a while to get here so it's good to treat it as a sidejob until you have a decent client list.

>how did you break in to the industry?
You put your name out there enough and say you're available this kind of gig, anyone who's interested and has a demand gets in touch. While there are a lot of sites with royalty-free tracks and sfx, nothing can compare to getting custom stuff exactly like the dev idealized. Or as close as possible.

Take it easy and you can do it, but have a backup at first because there's a lot of competition.

>>49221945
>Of what exactly? Just one shots?
Yes, a demo reel filled with sounds you designed. You got to show what you can do somehow.

>What's nerve-wreaking about it? I consider myself an "extrovert of introverts", and can usually handle interviews and the like fairly well.
It's not getting the job that is hard. It's completing it. You'll get clients who don't know what they want, but they want you to. Clients who tell you they absolutely do not want X, but will give you X as a reference when they reject what you gave them. Clients who disappear when it's time to pay the other 50%. There's also people who try and bully/blackmail you for free services.

If you already worked as a clerk, half of these things won't be new. But I wouldn't recommend this job for anyone who has a hard time dealing with confrontational people, because not every client is a friend.
>>
https://soundcloud.com/mazifin

Is my production good? What can I improve on?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>49221712
>>49221712
Well with sound design and foley your best bet is with tv/movies etc. vidya is also an option but games companies often ask for a certain level of coding too. Of course they need someone to make the sounds to code in in the first place but you're better off trying to work for tv/movies. Since you're doing music comp then you're probably looking more at scoring and composition over sound design. Two very different worlds and to be honest they probably wouldn't want someone doing a comp course on foley/sd. Of course if it's your composition you want incorporated then either do as >>49221809 says. Also try get onto a publishing agency since a lot of the time that "unknown" music is taken for adverts/films/shitty company and corporate events... It comes from a music publishing agency.

Here's a foley/sd piece I did as coursework. I played through some far cry 2, screencapped it and then took every bit of audio from it and completely re-did and made every sound you hear here. From the ambience to the dialogue.

>http://youtu.be/Wxw4PwtFlng

>>49221909
Not him but a guy I know at uni has a deal with some company and does their sound bites and short melodies. He has more money than I have ever seen a student with. Couple of hours work is about £500
>>
File: sace.jpg (49 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
sace.jpg
49 KB, 500x375
>>49217752
because theyre fucking gay
>>
>>49221118
Thanks dude.
>>
>>49221401
tfw no answers
>>
>>49221401
>>49222421

What do you mean exactly? Your question isn't very clear.
>>
What are the rules for recording guitar with an amp? I'll just be putting my mic in front of it. Should I apply distortion in my DAW or on the amp while recording?
>>
>>49222165
Guys?...
>>
File: image.jpg (1009 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1009 KB, 2048x1536
>>49222168
Well I am taking a foley course this semester, and I know a decent but growing amount of coding for Max/MSP, and other sound design platforms. I just wanted to know if my goals are feasible.

Also
>5U bro
>>
>>49212994
Is sidechaining only used on kicks?
>>
What do when i need a bassline on sampled instrumentals?
>>
>>49222507
get your peaks up to full scale in mastering, you shit's down low
lots of sub-bass rumble going on, I'd calm down a bit on the low frequency energy
production wise it's all right, nice and clean but not much going on to keep the listener interested, keep working on small details and also arranging and music theory
>>
>>49222449
I already got a melody but I don't know what sounds go well with each other.

I'm basically looking for some kind of list or a way to figure out what sounds sound well together.

>>49222507
"Don't Know" is pretty good but it feels as if it has unnecessary bass throughout the song?
>>
>>49222468
distortion always happens inside or in front of the amp, you put a mic in front of it to record the sound of your amp and speaker in the first place, nothing against shaping the recorded signal but if you want to build the sound in the DAW you can just use a DI signal, which is a lot easier
>>
>>49222633
low-octave sine wave is the easiest way
>>
>>49222468
It will sound far better to record with the distortion. There's a sweet spot on the amp to place the mic depending on the mic type. Use a dynamic like an sm57 about 4 inches from the mesh of the amp. Pointing at the rim of the speaker cone. Don't point it at the centre no point whatsoever. Experiment a little with the angle and placement. Depends on the sound you're attempting to get. >>49222579
Ah I see. Well max/msp would be great along with stuff like PDExtended. If it's foley you want for films/tv you're looking at less coding more attention to detail and good use of a DAW and microphone. Watch the video in my previous post. Lining up audio and paying attention to how would be sound sources are moving and behaving on screen is what takes the time and skill. Sound design itself would mostly be outside of the coding skill tree and more being very good with your daw. For example this video of a very quick demo I did for qhimm

>https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rqv9HSZf0go

All sounds made by sapphire weapon are made by taking a sample of my brother in law saying the work "today". Using a programme called SPEAR I played with the sound on a millisecond level. If you can use the plug-ins you need (3rd party or from your daw) and other complex sound software you're golden. Especially since you're doing a course in it. Thus you have a chance to shine and be noticed.

>>49222583
Mostly in popular music but it can be anything. Listen to a radio, when the dj talks he doesn't slide down the fader on the song. The compressor kicks in and sidechains the voice over the track.

I've used one on a vocal track too. Very very minimal use though. Just helps it against the rest of the song
>>
>>49222838
care to elaborate? i'm a newbie
>>
>>49222942
Not him but exactly what he said. Have a synth put out a sine wave and layer it at a low octave below the bass
>>
>>49222942
open a synth vst
use a blank patch
set the waveform to sine
play notes at low octaves
>>
I'm going to ask again because I don't think anyone say my post :(
What program should I use to make sound collages? I installed FL but there's probably a better one. And how can I rip the sound off a video?
Love you all
>>
>>49223000
ableton is by far the best DAW if you work with audio samples / little bits

look up recording with stereo mix for the sound off video part
>>
>>49222963
>>49222977
Thanks guys
>>
>>49223000
Ripping sound off of a video is easy depending on your set up. There's software that allows you to record whatever goes through your sound card. MacOS has "audiohijackpro". Not sure for windows but there's youtube-mp3/WAV websites. You could also loop your output into your input and record through there.

I personally dislike fl but sound collages don't need much in the way of a daw. Anything with a multi track arranger should cut it fine
>>
File: foridiotslikeyou.png (12 KB, 849x302) Image search: [Google]
foridiotslikeyou.png
12 KB, 849x302
>>49222942
>>
>>49223024
>by far
Actually there's plenty of equally good DAWs that can do the same thing. I find protools in slip mode my favorite for that kind of stuff though.
>>
>>49223024
>>49223061
Killer
Thanks!
Now it's looking for samples, I have some ideas already
>>
>>49223105
id say ableton passes others by quite a bit in terms of what he's looking for because of ableton's massively well made warping and audio stretching

i mean, it does come down to preference, but imo ableton passes other daws by a lot for samples / collages
>>
>>49223024
Actually, FL or Bitwig are considerably better for (micro) sample-oriented workflow. Hell, I'd pick Renoise over Ableton for that any day of the week too.
>>
>>49223171
not that guy but FL for small samples?

its so annoyingly difficult to create the samples, consolidate them and then to put them where you need them

i haven't used fl in a while though
>>
>>49222665
Yeah, Don't Know has cool textures and vibes, but i feel like the bass changes are a bit too fast and on the down-beat. A bit boxed, i suppose? Aside from that, there really isn't much of an error to be felt. Sounds great, dude, >>49222507
>>49222165
>>
>>49223168
That's a neat opinion, but it's still an opinion. Also, Ableton is a company.
>>
>>49223232
Strong opinion > strong smartassery
>>
>>49223355
Again, that's a neat opinion you have there, but ultimately it's still just an opinion.
>>
>>49223232
your opinions are pretty neat too :)
>>
File: 1408511574438.png (89 KB, 231x205) Image search: [Google]
1408511574438.png
89 KB, 231x205
any body got any videos or pics on someone who wants to start producing?
>>
I play on a cheap classic guitar
I don't know much about electrical guitars but would like to maybe get one
What would you recommend for a beginner? Also an amp rec would be appreciated
>>
>>49223207
Yeah, many of my projects are like that, small samples arranged and manipulated on the playlist. It's really fast.
>>
>>49223091
that was very polite
thanks
>>
File: lol.jpg (5 KB, 213x221) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
5 KB, 213x221
>telling other people your production secrets
>this thread
>>
>>49223710
>having so little skill you're afraid others will surpass you if you give them a tip
git gud
>>
>>49223710
>implying anybody here has real production secrets
>implying everything ITT isn't already tried and true
>>
I have used fl for a couple of years. Its great for making music with a lot of synths (used to make edm shit) but lately i prefer making sample based idm type stuff

would i benefit from switching to ableton? i do find the timestretching in fl to be kinda shit
>>
File: jamesy_poo.gif (62 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
jamesy_poo.gif
62 KB, 125x125
>>49223719
>your mother is a whore

>>49223740
>there's formula and we all have it

keep em comin guyz
lul
>>
Reposting this from a thread I made:

I want to make Trap beats and Dubstep/D&B. I have no experience besides using FL studio briefly

What kind of equipment are the top producers using? I'm saving up to get my own little studio. Do most producers use Mac books or Home Macs? Is getting a Mac my best bet since I won't have a real studio?

Would I need a set-up like pic related if I want to make legit beats? I'm assuming the equipment interfaces with the laptop.

Is this something I can learn by myself if I get the setup or am I going to need to go to school for music production?

I know almost nothing about this so please help out
>>
>>49223861
Your questions are shit and won't help you at all. /mu/ doesn't know jack, that's why they're all dead beats without a record deal

learn shit out for yourself, if you're smart enough
>>
>>49217947
>>49220568

it's true. if you mix only with headphones you might as well an hero.
inb4 more butthurt laptop producers
>>
>>49223780
One hundred percent yes. Ableton's timestretching is miles better than FLs and has multiple settings and functions to help you smooth out your samples and get the sound you want.
>>
>>49223861
There's no pic. All you really need is a computer, a DAW and patience. I work with music for a living and I have basically no gear at all.
>>
>>49223780
Have you tried messing with FL Slicer? Have you tried changing the sampling presets?
>>
>>49223956

Ok, kid.
>>
Hey all, I have a question about my latest track from a production standpoint. I was wondering if there's any glaring problems with the mixing and whatnot? I feel like I could clean it up, but whenever I do, the result sounds worse than before. This is the third version currently. Thanks! Also reason 7 user here if anyone was curious about it.

https://soundcloud.com/ctokes/reflections
>>
>>49218572
anyone got any input?
>>
>>49224222
Only use a DJ mixer if you're using turntables. Otherwise a standard mixer with many channels will be far more useful.
>>
>>49223956
This is embarrassing. I'm talking Adam Sandler movie embarassing. Just find another thread, man.
>>
>>49212994
what software do all you guys use?
>>
>>49224578
FL as primary DAW.
>>
>>49224578
Reaper, hoping to ditch it soon though because it's unreliable. I want to go for Ableton or FL but I haven't made my mind up yet
>>
>>49223861
Why the fuck would you ask this here? There's always 7 people asking these stupid questions that can be answered easily just by googling.
>Is this something I can learn by myself if I get the setup or am I going to need to go to school for music production?
You literally didn't even try to learn anything on your own so why even bother?
>>
Guys, question for FL users: is there any way to keep the echo of a sound after the its pattern is over? I have a sample that shows at the upbeat of a pattern, and I want the delay to continue over the beggining of the next pattern
>>
>>49224982
It should naturally, but I'm guessing you can increase the delay feedback if it's not enough as it is right now.
>>
>>49225119
the feedback is already enough so the sound should keep going, but when the pattern comes to an end FL simply cuts the echo. I'm guessing there's an setting to control this, but I haven't been able to find it.
>>
>>49224578
Logic, pro tools and ableton. Each for different things. Spear and PDExtended come into a lot of use too.
>>
>>49225285
Mainly logic as daw though.
>>
How do you guys even decides if something sounds "good"?
I never know what kind of tone I want to achieve. I focus on melody/chords but don't know what to do with them. Do you already have a certain sound in your head or do you just fuck around until you find one?
>>
>>49224980

Shut the fuck up you little punk before I come curb stomp you :)
>>
>>49225285
you using ableton 9?
>>
>>49221188
any of them. just pick one.
>>
>>49226330
Very rarely. Mostly logic 9. 10 can fuck right off. Pro tools is used semi-regularly
>>
File: 1402863464258.jpg (4 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
1402863464258.jpg
4 KB, 300x250
>>49221188
>convert video into audio files
get audacity, file > import > import raw > u-law encoding, big endian, two channels
boom
>>
>>49225958
Maybe learn shit on your own and you won't get talked to like the bitch that you are.
>>
>>49221188
hey dude I had the same ambitions as you recently after watching a video detailing the samples used in Since I Left You.

anyway since I'm a long time Reason 5 user I had some real fun fucking about with samples and loops in the dr. octorex loop thing. i recommend it highly.

check out my results :)))))))
https://soundcloud.com/milton-hoffman/coconut-crab
>>
>>49227116
really enjoyed this man
>>
>>49225513
>I focus on melody/chords but don't know what to do with them
>don't know what to do with them

case closed
>>
>>49225513
If I'm not inspired to start a song before I open up my DAW or get to an instrument or whatever then whatever idea I come up with won't sound good. When I'm inspired songs kind of write themselves
>>
why are shitty hip hop beats so popular? they're boring as fuck
>>
>>49225513
for me "good" is when I automatically hear what comes after or what goes well with the current sound.

like if you find a chord progression and you immediately hear what rhythm you'd like to go with, or that a certain sample would fit - it's good.
>>
Why is my mix all the sudden broken? I made a track in Ableton that was just fine when I rendered it, but it was a little flat, so I went back in to master the project file. I tossed an Isotope Alloy 2 on the master, played around with it a bit, and rendered it again. It's totally fine up toward the end when a normally really quiet midi track now peaks at 22+dB, and consists entirely of loud clicking noises. I triple checked that everything on the channel is fine, and it sounds normal when I play it in Ableton, but no matter what I do it breaks when I render it.
>>
>>49227399
>>49227547
my problem isn't that I don't find good progressions or melodies. I make stuff up on my piano but then I have no idea what I should do with that stuff to make more out of it than just a piano piece.
>>
>>49227591
try routing the master to a bus and record that on another input
real time bounce protools style
sometimes that the only workaround with rendering engine fuckups that can happen with cracked vsts
>>
File: shutterstock_3494276-300x199.jpg (9 KB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_3494276-300x199.jpg
9 KB, 300x199
hey guys, pleb here

how do i get a beat without a midi controller? like actual boom-boom-pow sound? somebody said that they arent using any equipment besides laptop and DAW, so the question goes to them i think
>>
>>49213126
LinPlug saxlab is awesome for sax
>>
>>49228301
dude what?
>>
>>49228301
Beat pattern programming or sample/loop slicing. Look into those, there'll be tutorials for any DAW you're planning to use.
>>
File: face like wtf.jpg (18 KB, 465x446) Image search: [Google]
face like wtf.jpg
18 KB, 465x446
so I do a lot of sampled based hip hop production, finding it very difficult to make basslines over my beats, any tips?
>>
>>49228524
Probably some music theory so you can figure out the bass notes and rhythm that would go well with what you're sampling.
Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.