[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do I into Aphex Twin?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 6
how do I into Aphex Twin?
>>
You just posted it.
>>
Start with that one
>>
>all these bandwagon aphex fans

oh boy
>>
Listen to Digeridoo.

Then try Heliosphan.

Then try Stone in Focus.

Pick your favourite out of these three (or the one you dislike the least) and I'll tell you how to "into" AFX.
>>
richard d james album
come to daddy ep
then listen to everything else
>>
Listen to his music
>>
>>49184160

well I thought it might be a good time to get into it
>>
learn to appreciate the textures of vintage analog synths
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBwUJMZNOgQ
>>
SAW 85-92
...ICBYD
RDJ Album

Start there.
>>
listen to his studio albums and form your own opinion
is it a positive one? go look for his various aliases' releases for extended listening
>>
>>49184168

>digeridoo

THANK YOU BASED ANON

ive heard that song at more raves than i can count and i could never ID it
>>
>>49184160
>tfw started listening to aphex twin in '93.
>>
File: WtpxtgR.png (17 KB, 633x280) Image search: [Google]
WtpxtgR.png
17 KB, 633x280
you can try this but general consensus so far is that it's fake, not very confident sounding or not acid enough
>>
>>49184115
chronologically ya nincumpoop.
>>49184160
It's just people being like "Oh, shit: I haven't listened to him."
Think Swans with The Seer or My Father.
>>
>>49184296
>we get what could be the official tracklist
>album miraculously leaks hours later
wow a fake you say?
>>
now that I'm here, I should ask, what's with the song names? Also what's with him pasting his face everywhere?
>>
>>49184160

>my hipster music, stay away normalfags

fucking cunts on this board i swear
>>
>>49184327

it's entirely possible these days, but yes, unlikely most definitely, i mean what i'm listening to isn't bad stuff but it definitely doesn't sound anything close to the real deal unless it's a whole new direction
>>
>>49184331
alot of artists that make electronic music like the anonymity of an alias and use that to build some interest in their world, Aphex dont give two fucks and spams his face on everything
>>
>>49184305
>My Father
lol nobody cared about Swans during that album's release because it was trash and we missed out on a new AoL album because of it

nobody jumped on the bandwagon because it wasn't a good bandwagon
>>
>>49184370
work*
>>
>>49184361
yeah on the one side there's at least a 90% chance of it being a fake, but on the other hand there are plenty of bedroom producers out there who make some great 'braindance' music and this is a perfect way to maybe get some of their music heard

I hate that label by the way, I just don't know what else to call it
>>
don't post on mu lmao
>>
>>49184409
IDM

ID FUCKING M
>>
>>49184168
Holy fuck. I've never listened to anything from Aphex Twin and Didgeridoo is blowing my fucking mind right now.
>>
well im dropping apehx twin.
too many of the mu losers are listening to it now, its not cool anymore
>>
Download this and listen to everything.

http://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1456863
>>
>>49184436
americunt confirmed
>>
File: 1382860040593.jpg (94 KB, 695x644) Image search: [Google]
1382860040593.jpg
94 KB, 695x644
>>49184436
but even that sounds like shit, and acid is too general and slightly inaccurate
I just don't know what to do, anon
I need help

>>49184438
RDJ spent days electronically replicating that Digeridoo sound, the man's a fucking genius I swear
>>
>never been high as a kite on MDMA while a DJ drops digeridoo

I pity some of you people, i really do
>>
>>49184438
If that's what's blowing your mind you're in for a trip.
>>49184468
also available on Spotify btdubs
>>
>>49184436
only americans call it idm

everyone on rephlex rejects that label and personally dislikes those who use it
>>
>>49184484
Pls give me more. This is amazing.
>>
>>49184498

This is true. Although there should be a way to differentiate between AFX/BoC/Autechre etc. and the likes of Tiesto/Van Buuren the whole IDM/EDM thing is very degrading and stupid.
>>
>>49184511
Just listen in this order:
Selected Ambient Works 85-92
(possibly SAW Volume 2 next)
I Care Because You Do
Richard D. James Album
Drukqs

That's the condensed, but still full experience.
>>
>>49184511
see if you enjoy this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRvfxWRi6qQ
>>
>>49184542
Dope. Thanks man, I'll check em out.
>>
>>49184511

vordhosbn
polynomial-C
where's your girlfriend

and the majestic avril 14th
>>
>>49184498
Braindance is a much better, far less pretentious label anyways.
>>
>>49184470
>>49184498
Canadian, so yeah, pretty much Americunt, but still, it's arguably the most used label, so who gives a shit if it's slightly condescending? That shit doesn't matter, it's the music that matters.

>>49184477
I can't help you man

>>49184569
Braindance sounds retarded, though.
>>
>>49184555
Dude, what the FUCK. My friend showed me this YEARS ago because it freaked him out. I had no idea this is from Aphex Twin. Mind is blown right now hahaha.
>>
>>49184532
BRAINDANCE
subgenres include: breakcore, glitch and drill n bass
>>
>>49184542

Quit it man, the worst way to get someone into an artist is to throw a heap of albums at him and tell him to "go get 'em tiger". The sad matter of the fact is that people have shitty attention spans and need to be eased into new things, me and you are no different.

>SAW V2 before anything

Yeah I can see him sitting through 3 hours of ambient music and not getting bored.
>>
>>49184613
yeah, it's a later track on his last studio album drukQs. my dad absolutely loves that video and hearing this song years later on an Aphex Twin album was fucking mental
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYV2fKdpjYs
>>
>>49184542
>not including come to daddy ep
its his most consistent release, completely essential
>>
>>49184597
It's a lot better than "Intelligent Dance Music" though.
>>49184622
that's why I put it in parenthetically
The core of it is that a simple chronological approach is best.
>>
>>49184651

Still a bad way to go about it in my opinion. If he likes Digeridoo then I would certainly steer him towards Drukqs/ICBYD or AB4 before the SAWs.

Just my 0.02c
>>
File: cover.png (398 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cover.png
398 KB, 500x500
>>49184542
this is a really bad starter list
just listen to his two EPs, Windowlicker and Come To Daddy, and see if you like them enough to listen to more
do not try and tackle all of those albums at once, you won't enjoy it
>>
>>49184701
Whatevs. I'm just thinking of a chronological approach to his albums.
I personally did it and found it a good intro.
>>
>>49184331
>now that I'm here, I should ask, what's with the song names
It's hard to come up with track names. So lots of them are probably in-jokes (mookid.) or just gibberish (Omgyjja-Switch7) or anagrams which I guess kind of count as in-jokes - That nigger is crazy about anagrams. Or they're just Cornish words because he's Cornish.
>>
>>49184701
it's good if you're a big fan of electronic music and you know RDJ is someone to know and know well
if you're a casual observer looking for some recs, something like Come To Daddy is a lot easier to listen to than fucking SAW which bored me to tears on my first listen
if Digeridoo blew his mind he's probably looking for something more active and accessible than Xtal
>>
>>49184565
vordhosbn is the underrated song of the century. so good.

>>49184619
genres with brain related words in them sound so corny.
see: neurofunk
why do electronic genres get such stupid names
>>
>>49184701
>Come To Daddy
>suggesting people listen to leftovers
>>
I think RDJ is a better starter album than Come To Daddy - provided you want to avoid the SAWs.
>>
>>49184803
if you're going to try and tell me that Come To Daddy isn't a great sample of RDJ's ability to produce accessible music and a good sample of the variety in his discography then you can just get the heck outta here buster brown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhHkUg-QCwk
>>
>>49184774
its not as corny as le "intelligent dance music"
or EDM for that matter, another american term

i think its a cultural thing
its our music, we'll decide the names
>>
>>49184856
RDJ Album is a really good starting place actually, why didn't I think of that
>>
>>49184619

Sounds alright but I really dread the thought of telling people that I listen to "braindance". It's just as pretentious and you grow out of that once you're past your early 20s.
>>
>>49184863
every song on that ep is a masterpiece
>>
>>49184565
Just listened to vordhosbn. Crazy as fuck. I'll check out the other three right now.
>>
>>49184890
americans
adapt or leave
>>
>>49184863
Flim is literally a rip-off of 4.

Come to Daddy is something he probably shat out while hungover on a Sunday afternoon.

Bucephalus Bouncing Ball is okay.
>>
>>49184893
I don't know if I'd go that far but it has some of my favorite production from him
sounds like a much more focused drukQs, which is my favorite sound from him and I personally think it works better in a heavily varied double LP
>>
>>49184863

Not him but hang on a second, you have to remember that Flim is flanked by 2 Come To Daddy remixes, and then Bucephalus bouncing fucking ball after it. On a first listen? Then to cure a weakling child as well? No way.

RDJ is the safest starting point. 4, Fingerbib, Girl/Boy, Inkey$ as a bit of a banger. Can't go wrong.
>>
really surprised no one posted this
its the song that make me fall in love with his music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUT3KoxVzQg
>>
>>49184922

i'm irish. you know, that country where RDJ was born?
>>
>>49184115
>people who need a guide to get into an artist

literally kill yourself
>>
>>49184864
edm is the most garbage useless term. half of people use the terms electronic, edm, and electro interchangeably and the other half insist there's huge important differences between them
calling something edm is just about useless, it's a catch all

idm is just misleading because everyone wants their favorite band to seem more complex than generic edm. so we have everything from aphex twin to boards of canada to skrillex tagged as idm when they sound so very different, it's too hard to define what the word even means

genres always have these problems but at least when i go to listen to something tagged like, breakcore, or 2step i have a decent idea of what i'm getting
>>
>>49184934
they have some similar elements but they're very different in weight and execution

>>49184960
fair point, I guess I'm just really partial to the inconsistencies in some of his releases like ICBYD (Ventolin, Icct Hedral, mookid and Alberto Balsalm on the same fucking release, it's such an odd listen front to back)
>>
>>49184960
>Come To Daddy
>Flim
>Bucephalus bouncing ball
>to cure a weakling child
all those songs are amazing examples of technical skill that generally stand unparalleled to this day
i think its a great place to start
>>
>>49184985
about 30 million of you make that claim
its past the point of redundancy
>>
>>49185057

I have to disagree, their appreciation is a lot more retrospective than it would be for the hits such as those posted earlier. Each to their own though.
>>
FLIM. I feel like I'm circlejerking this way too hard but HOLY FUCK this is so good! So glad I found this thread, I'll def be checking this guy out a lot tomorrow.
>>
>>49185121
Flim? Film? If you like Film you'd love the Richard D. James Album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCSrMEsaNAM
or a couple odd songs off of his other albums that sound quite a bit like it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-Pkx37kYf4
>>
>>49185121
check out "iz us" or "girl boy song" they have a similar vibe
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltzPUOiQLOg

Anyone actually listen to the Caustic Window album properly? That is actually a jammin' tune. Few decent ones to be found on it I thought.
>>
>>49185173
Flim was the one I listened to.
>>
>>49185243

He does not have a song called film, I second his suggestions, particularly Girl/Boy and try Heliosphan as well.
>>
>>49185275
>He does not have a song called film
am I missing something here? because that's literally wrong
>>
>>49185301

That guy asked

>Flim? Film?

Note they are two different words.

The newb responded with "I listened to Flim", under the impression that there is also a song called film.

I corrected him.
>>
>>49185301
F-L-I-M
>>
I swear to god last one but first time listening to Avril 14th and this is honestly one of the coolest, most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Insane. Can someone explain to me what his process is of creating his music? I read a little bit on wikipedia but I feel like I'm missing something.
>>
>>49185243
>because of Skrillex
>>
>>49185341
>>49185346
Oh wow, I've read it as Film for the past several years
I can't fucking believe I never caught that
>>
>>49185376

I think I've listened to that song at least 5000 times in my life.
>>
>>49185376
>I feel like I'm missing something.
he's a bit daft you know
>>
>>49184115
2014 and you haven't listened to Aphex Twins discography before

/mu/ really is full of teenagers
>>
>>49185376

He used a scissors in Alberto Balsalm.
>>
>>49185462
>Who?
Every dubstep fan
>>
>>49185481

I honestly think if you haven't heard of Aphex Twin and you listen to any kind of electronic music you are a one in ten thousand retard.
>>
>>49184160
>>49184275
>you're not a REAL fan like me
>>
>>49184160
It happens ok? Get used to it.
>>
>>49185511
its true tho
you'll understand when you've listened to his entire discography
>>
>>49184361
>what i'm listening to isn't bad stuff
are you kidding? that one was the worst leak yet. it's awful.
>>
>>49185584
i would key my keys off if this is what actually gets released
>>
>>49185569
no, it isn't. because you've been listening to an artist for a longer period of time doesn't mean you're better and they won't understand.
>>
>>49185618
Kek my keks
>>
It hasn't been leaked FFS.

If it has what a disappointment. Usually the hype train starts a year in advance, all we have to do is wait a few weeks. Stop being cunts and just buy the album when it comes out.
>>
>>49185628
you really don't understand
>>
>>49185628
go listen to all his music then come back, i'll wait
>>
>>49185669
selected ambient works vol ii is my favorite album ever and i wish i could enjoy it as much as you do. i'm not worthy of it, though. i wish i could listen to one of my favorite musicians, but only you deserve that privilege because you found him before i did.
>>
>>49185742
if you really love saw2 so much then I have no clue how you don't understand this
>>
>>49185742
who are your top 5 rephlex artists?
>>
>>49185669
>>49185699
explain yourselves
>>
>>49185780
1. aphex twin
2. steinvord
3. the tuss
4. ยต-ziq
5. aphex twin
>>
>>49185780
afx
caustic window
brad strider
polygon window
the tuss
>>
>>49185831
lel
>>49185813
we're trying to open his mind but he really wants to stay ignorant
>>
You realize The Tuss is RDJ right?

Aside from him, u-ziq, Luke V and Squarepusher.
>>
>>49185866
really? no bogdan? no wisp? no monolith?
>>
>>49185926
>>
>>49185884
it just seems like you're being pretentious, I really want to know, why wouldn't I like RDJ? really, how good is his music if you can only enjoy it starting at a certain time period
>>
>>49185926

dey all apex twin m8
>>
>>49185961
just felt like recommending some lesser known rephlex artists
it really is a label worth looking into
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZVOl9SPfRU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ObVtYA8x2w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaPXs1UhuQo
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmbMhVv-5NY&index=193&list=FLYFT7UEGaex9qPP7rKZ3AGg

So does anyone know if this is AFX or not?
>>
File: 1393645168357.gif (787 KB, 300x187) Image search: [Google]
1393645168357.gif
787 KB, 300x187
>https://soundcloud.com/rochesolos
>mfw this guy never uploaded his aphex twin recreation
>>
>>49186000
i think you're confusing me with someone else
i've been telling you to listen to his entire discography, nothing about starting at a certain point in time
>>
if i'm starting with SAB 85-92 do i want the og version (which i read had shitty quality apparently) or the version with remastered audio?
>>
>>49186095
holy shit, even this short little jam sounds far ahead of most electronic music these days. i'm expecting big things from this new album.
>>
>>49186123
original version. the shittier the better.
>>
>>49186131
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKa0bGZzSpE
this has been getting a lot of shine after the syro announcement as well, I personally love it and hope we might get to hear it on syro
>>
>>49184436
braindance >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> IDM
>>
>>49184729

yeah i agree, starting out with selected ambient works helped a lot.
>>
>>49184893
i love every song on there except the first one. i just like aphex's more melodic tracks. i rarely ever skip tracks when i listen to music, but i always skip the first track every time i listen to come to daddy. maybe that's why the ep feels so short to me. (i also do the same with nevermind, fyi.)
Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.