[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/Production/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 235
Thread images: 29
File: Cold War Project.png (861 KB, 1920x1031) Image search: [Google]
Cold War Project.png
861 KB, 1920x1031
Post projects, ask questions, general DAW discussion.
Working on a piece for a cold war concept album, For each track I scribbled down some key ideas. This piece is called "ECM" (Electronic Countermeasures) and the ideas were: Comms chatter, Jamming, Intelligence, Information, Speed and Light.
Mostly a combination of real comms chatter and jet sounds with radar and power electronics synth.
>>
>>49112706
I wanna listen seems like an interesting idea
>>
Can someone explain what Filters are for in Synthesis?
>>
>>49112833
http://clyp.it/3ab423da

Still needs a bit of work, only 48min spent on it so far
>>
>>49113042
neat
>>
>>49113015
if you have a low pass filter turned all the way down then only the low frequencies are passing through when you turn it up then all the other frequencies start to appear (mid high) same thing just reversed for high pass
>>
what vsts do you guys use
screencap channels --> add one
>>
File: Channel _ Add one.png (64 KB, 264x997) Image search: [Google]
Channel _ Add one.png
64 KB, 264x997
>>49113328
pretty much the standard FL 11 plugins, + Kontakt 4 and Play x64 which I run my EW samples through
>>
>>49113325
Thanks as simple as that seems, I'm just figuring it out

It's really great as you start being able to make your own sounds

I recommend Analog in Ableton for newbies as it's really basic but great for learning
>>
File: 7787878.png (67 KB, 293x813) Image search: [Google]
7787878.png
67 KB, 293x813
>>49113328
I usually use the classics, fabfilter, trilian, massive
>>
File: 0.png (132 KB, 490x824) Image search: [Google]
0.png
132 KB, 490x824
>>49113549
here's my plugins.
>>
still kind of new to production, but I think I finally found a sound today that I can call my own that combines a lot of my influences and is comfortable to work with. Good to say that I can stop writing songs that sound cheesy as fuck and forced
>>
>>49113612
God, I wish I could find my own style. I've been making music for 5 years now and I haven't found been able to settle on a genre.
>>
>>49113700
I hope you find it anon. Am I lucky or are you just unlucky?
>>
File: Untitled.png (92 KB, 270x1003) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
92 KB, 270x1003
>>49113328
these are my synth plugins
>>
Brand new to FL Studio 11, how do i change the loop position of a track?
>>
File: Untitled2.png (108 KB, 326x1000) Image search: [Google]
Untitled2.png
108 KB, 326x1000
>>49113820
>>49113328
and these are my effects plugins
>>
>>49113793
i mean that in the least dickish way possible
>>
>>49112706

A tip for synths...

Use a nice, clean and powerful tone, and then put it through some effects, rather then program the synth to do the work. The best ones for this are delay, reverb, chorus and distortion, depending on what you are going for.

Its very lazy, but if you want a quick but usable synth sound. Just do this.

Also with drum programming...

Want a quick beat but dont have very strong drum skills? Just make a simple drum beat and then put it through a delay, but make sure the delay setting you use is an even number. Again lazy and obvious, but its a great way to get some stronger beats behind your music with little knowledge and time.
>>
>>49113888
No offense taken, man.
>>
Anyone know how to mix and/or master in FL? All my tracks are recorded, just need to be mixed.
>>
File: Instruments.png (92 KB, 422x1260) Image search: [Google]
Instruments.png
92 KB, 422x1260
My synth plugins.
>>
>>49113956
what genre do you make
>>
>>49114019
I've been moving towards chillwave/ 80s type of stuff lately. I've done rock, chiptune and symphonic shit. Some plugins I have only to mix things for other people since bouncing and sending WAVs takes way too long.
>>
>>49114043
What do you think of Gladiator, Nexus and Zebra2 ?
>>
>>49114115
If you're gonna make some generic trap music or Beatport-core EDM, you have to have Nexus installed.

Zebra2 has a really interesting interface and I really like the built in reverb. It's a bit confusing to some people, however, so they settle with the presets.

Gladiator is really great. Since I used to be an FL Studio user, the interface is easy to get down and it's self explanatory. There's a lot of results you can get from it. It might be a bit too much on older computers.
>>
>>49114144
>Since I used to be an FL Studio user
why'd you switch and what did you switch to ?
>>
>>49114185
Back when I switched, FL Studio only had Edison to record live audio. Since I was moving to more audio-based productions, I went ahead and made the switch to StudioOne.

I also went ahead and got Ableton which came with my keyboard. I prefer StudioOne's workflow but Ableton has some neat routing features that are great for DJing.

Don't get me wrong. FL Studio is a great program and I still have it installed.
>>
File: WH_Mixer.png (189 KB, 2267x1022) Image search: [Google]
WH_Mixer.png
189 KB, 2267x1022
>>
File: meme.png (73 KB, 280x1010) Image search: [Google]
meme.png
73 KB, 280x1010
>>49113328
These plus a bunch of P&M effect plugins that I use for everything
>>
>last week friend booked me to play solo noise show opening up for black metal bands
>the show's in 18 hours
>I don't (didn't) make noise music
>they just asked me to make it "extra heavy"
>now making a harsh noise set using as many slowed down Slipknot samples as possible

I don't know if my computer can handle anything more brickwalled than this
>>
>>49114440
Why in hell did you say yes if you have no prior experience?

Good thing noise is easy as fuck to make though, goodluck.
>>
>>49114450
Because it would give me motivation to make more music and it's be [spoiler]funny[/spoiler]
>>
>>49113831
You'll have to double click at the top of the playlist or piano roll and drag to select a part of the song. It will then repeat that part. Set the snap to line to make sure the loop is accurate
>>
in my synth, there is a type of oscillator called a detune oscillator, with options like octave detuning, detuning by 5th, interval detuning.

is it possible to detune different oscillators to these settings manually using the tune parameters?
>>
>>49113042
I like it as an intro.
>>
>>49114855
which synth are u currently using?
>>
so ive been really trying to improve my sound recently and been learning a lot about eqing compression and the like, i think ive come on a lot but id still like some good solid feedback from people that know what they are talking about on what to improve sound wise and even structural wise, anything at all is good, its all about the learning process at the moment

https://soundcloud.com/huntr33

any help is greatly appreciated
>>
>>49116711
I feel like you could have a better sound if you didn't limit yourself to deep house.
>>
>>49116755

do you care to expand on that?

you mean i should go for a different genre?
>>
>tfw have to use audacity because im too stupid to know how FL studio and ableton works
>tfw never be good at anything
>>
>>49116900
Pretty much, I only listened to ~3 minutes of each track but you could do with some genre broadening. Everything sounds decent enough, but it feels limited.
>>
>>49116933
Fl Studio isn't even hard, it's UI can be learned in ~10 minutes. There's a reason it has the baby's first DAW stigma. Ableton's is a little trickier and more oriented towards hardware alongside, but is still perfectly viable with MKB. It even comes with built-in tutorials so theres no excuses.
>>
so does anyone have any experience with playing their shiiiet live?
did you use ableton?

I really want to learn how to dj and perform live but it looks so different to playing live instruments
>>
>>49116558
thor reason
>>
>>49112706
Don't just try and copy what BoC did man, try something original
>>
>>49116933
Try acoustica mixcraft
>>
>>49117048
assuming you have a midi controller
>break your sets down into stems (percussion track, bass track, lead, etc. etc.)
>map knobs/faders to those tracks with effects like beat repeat, volume, whatever
>press play
>???
>profit
>>
File: volc.jpg (545 KB, 1800x1079) Image search: [Google]
volc.jpg
545 KB, 1800x1079
Any thoughts on the Korg Volcabeats? Is it possible to make anything worthwhile with it?

Here's a summery track of mine:
https://soundcloud.com/lucasle/sunny-wip

I make everything in FL. Been using pretty much Massive exclusively for my synths lately
>>
File: 1373786158979.gif (932 KB, 253x197) Image search: [Google]
1373786158979.gif
932 KB, 253x197
>not contributing to the wiki
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki//mu/sic_Production_Wiki
>>
File: rdj.jpg (93 KB, 496x335) Image search: [Google]
rdj.jpg
93 KB, 496x335
Could you make a hardware/no computer live electronic setup for under $1500? I wouldn't use it for really complex stuff, just maybe 3-5 different sounds with 1 pattern for each throughout the entire song.

Here's a song of mine if it helps to get the idea of what needs to be incorporated:
https://soundcloud.com/southern-capital/aves
>>
>>49116755
>>49116934
>hey anon what do you think of my aesthetic consistency?
>im already bored of it
>it needs waaay more 80's synths and more oscillators need to be detuned, some cowbell, harmonized, some slowed down pitch-bent vocal samples, the justice drum kit but also with an amen break, an 8-bit patch harmonizing the melody line, also a small but tasteful yoi-synth reference (so I can feel cheeky when I listen to the this in the club), some sped up pitch-bent vocal samples, and a trill trap breakdown to be able to keep my attention
>>
>>49118867
>implying it wouldn't be a better song
>>
>>49118909
>implying you've even heard what constitutes actual deep house before
>>
>>49118969
>implying deep house is good
>implying I'm one of the two posters who replied to you
digging a deeper hole, buddy
take criticism or leave it, but don't be a bitch about that
>>
>>49119004
>implying deep house is not the patrician genre of choice
>implying more than one poster replied to me
>digging straight to 6 feet deep in one post
hahah buddy
>>
>>49119062
>>49119004
STOP ARGUING YOU'RE TEARING THIS FAMILY APART
>>
>I'm trying to improve my sound, wat do
>try exploring other styles, man
>FUCK YOU I'M PERFECT YOU'RE JUST A HATER WHO WANTS ME TO BE SKRILLEX
>>
Found a cool way to get unique sounds using harmor. Load up any sample into the image section and turn the speed to 0, then use C Tuner and Edison to resample the same thing into Harmor but making sure its close to C, then you have a new synth noise that is mapped to your keyboard

idk if this is common knowledge though I'm still in my first year of producing and finding a lot of stuff out on my own
>>
>love doing something
>trying to improve something
>look for advice on how to do so
>advice to do something else
>for no particular reason
>>
Looking for drum programming tips in FL Studio.
>>
>>49119495
put in 8 bars, layer alot with kicks, snares, hats, ect. Fuck it up with these plugins, dbglitch, fabfiltersaturn, gross beat, ect.
>>
every time i see a screenshot of FL i get an instant migraine. i have no clue how you dudes can stare at that set up/color scheme for that hours.
>>
Is there some kind of an all-purpose guide to picking and using samples out there?
>>
>>49119564
yes, google 'sampling theory'
>>
>>49119543
How to make a drum machine out of my own samples?What to load them into? Like when you enter the piano roll you can see each sample on the left.
>>
>>49119587
http://lavryengineering.com/pdfs/lavry-sampling-theory.pdf

I don't think this is what I meant...
>>
File: steve_reich_lolling.jpg (31 KB, 303x275) Image search: [Google]
steve_reich_lolling.jpg
31 KB, 303x275
>>49119543
epib
>>
>>49119707
what DAW are you on? in ableton you can load them into the drum rack
>>
File: pfffthththfhfhth.jpg (24 KB, 454x684) Image search: [Google]
pfffthththfhfhth.jpg
24 KB, 454x684
>>49119543
I guess he never did actually say "good drum programming tips.'
>>
>>49118550
microbrute+blofeld+volcabeats+reverb pedal+focusrite sapphire

at least that's my setup

you could probably use an electribe yho
>>
When I work in FL Studio I can hear some weird crashes and the sound goes off randomly. Even when I record I can still hear that. Is this a sound card issue?
>>
>>49120870
I use FL Studio
>>
>>49116933
>>49120988
>>49120731
then what are you supposed to do with your drums?
>>
>>49121261
learn to mix each sound independently so they work together instead of just throwing tons of shit on top of each other lol. learn about how some frequencies cancel each other out. learn about eqing and compression.
>>
I've been producing my own music for a while but I'm trying to improve my sound a little more, like everyone else here, haha. I'm looking for more ambient synths and effects similar to Blackbear, PND, TheWeeknd or something; also, does anybody have any tips or tricks to make my tracks a little more dynamic?

Here's my soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/i-swear-it-flows
>>
Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/ark_ryl

Anyone here looking forward to Steve Duda's new VST?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAhXwlDAc7s&list=UU2mgCVJWitRUTIpgd7pLung
>>
>>49122004
ohhhh god it looks so cool
>>
>>49121261
only use bass drum
>>
>>49114855
any help on this?
>>
File: snare screenshot.png (739 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
snare screenshot.png
739 KB, 1366x768
>>49121115
Hey i make drums in fl studio. I used to make my own before i realised that i can just get samples. but that is the past. Now, for the most part i only use maximus and PEQ2 to get good drums. Pic related. PS i only use fpc for idea composition, as for this song i was just feeling lazy. Good thing FPC has multi outputs.
>>
>>49122082
what synth are you useing? because in harmor, there is an A and B global detune, in sytrus there are 6 different operators with their own detune options, plus global, and even in shit like 3xosc you can detune shit for each osc independantly with automation. What i found is helpful is to just do stuff untill you know what works/doesnt. and remember. HAVE FUN
>>
>>49122082
https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/tutorials/thor-demystified-4-the-multi-oscillator/
>>
>>49113912
pretty good tips anon, I think everyone can learn from this,. Thank u
>>
>>49112706
Sibelius? Are you from Finland? Sibelius-academy?
>>
>>49122618
nice one v helpful
>>
>>49113912
Is itr trolling ? Worst tips ever
>>
>>49122737
you welcome. It took me years of dicking around, before i realized i could ask questions. Never used thor myself, but i may try ou t the demo. Looks fun
>>
I wanna into making stuff just for fun. Do you guys know how to read music? Or can you do it without that? I can play drums and read drum sheet music, but it's very different from everything else, much easier it seems.
>>
>>49123078 you definitely do not need to be able to read music to produce, although knowing a bit of music theory would help for sure
>>
>>49123078
disregard the following at all costs:
>>49123166
>although knowing a bit of music theory would help for sure
>>
what acapellas should i be sampling if i want to make the happy hardcore?
>>
how do I into remixes
>>
>>49122736
I use a program called Sibelius.
Its for setting scores - A music notation program
>>
>>49113912
I've found delay (with a bit of reverb) can work good on sampled drums if the drum sample doesn't fade out well or cuts out quickly.
>>
File: 1403635305089.jpg (3 KB, 120x117) Image search: [Google]
1403635305089.jpg
3 KB, 120x117
>>49123520
>working with standard notation
>on a device 1000 times more powerful
>>
>>49113560
>Classic Master Limiter
>based kjaerhus detected
>>
>>49113949
learn to mix/master. get izotope and look up tutorials
>>
>>49123719
>not working with standard notation
Its like you don't want performers to play your shit.
I might be a DAW producer, but I'm primarily a composer, and at the end of the day I want real scores for real musicians to play.
>>
File: darktime.jpg (2 MB, 2025x1205) Image search: [Google]
darktime.jpg
2 MB, 2025x1205
>>49123867
>Its like you don't want performers to play your shit.
you guessed it. performers are inconsistent
>I want real scores for real musicians to play.
pic related is a real musicain
>>
Hey, I don't mean to be that guy but where should I start if I want to start producing? So far I've been learning some basics around Reaper and Massive with my friend who's teaching me some shit, but as far as equipment and what not, what should I start with? I was thinking making more noisy and experimental type stuff, but I don't know what I should use as equipment.

Also, I've started learning a lot of music theory and basic piano, is this a good step for learning the ways of production?
>>
>>49123958
You're missing out mate, working with performers and getting pieces played at concerts is the main part of being a composer. DAW projects just plug the gaps when you don't have enough funds for a project to record live performers.

Also an electronic piece of equipment will never be able to match the sensitivity and subtlety of a real instrument, no matter how much automation you put in.
>>
can i post a footwork track that im working on to get some feedback?
>>
I think I've got the production down but how am I supposed to compose something as funky as Glass Swords?
>>
>>49124041
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
>>
just started playing around with fl studio.
my first try: http://picosong.com/cZcJ/
>>
>>49124045
yeah
>>
>>49124041
you have an awfully limited scope of what being "a composer" is all about

Also a human bag of meat will never be able to match the precision and efficiency of an electronic instrument, no matter how much practice you put in.
>>
>>49124085
>>49124045
thanks

here it is
https://soundcloud.com/mono-fendai/sun-through-the-clouds-work-in-progress/s-dwRm9
>>
>>49124175
you know how to make a beat but I'm not really digging the samples m8
>>
>>49124147
You need to trust your performers. I understand that's tricky coming from an electronic background, where precision and efficiency is everything, but there's something very special about a real performer playing music from a sheet of paper. Magic happens, and the piece will change [slightly] based on rehearsals: what works, what doesn't, special effects that could be used, etc.

Understanding each instrument and how to write for them is a huge part of a composers job, you want your music to be playable, but still hold the interest of the performer/audience. Learning about all the instruments and their limitations and possibilities can take a lifetime, and you never truly learn everything. You're always discovering a new instrument, or a new technique.
>>
>>49124253
nigga u wack as fuck
>>
>>49124249
thansk for the honesty. what is it that you dont like about the samples?

i appreciate the feedback, thank you
>>
File: Le Crazy Panning.png (802 KB, 1920x1037) Image search: [Google]
Le Crazy Panning.png
802 KB, 1920x1037
>>49124286
Thanks. I'm also OP. When I'm not writing scores I like to experiment with crazy shit, sometimes even singer songwriter shit.
>>
what recording input has the best bang for the buck if you're trying to record live guitar straight into the computer (no mics)? i've tried a couple different interfaces that were shit and could never get over the latency. anyone have any recommendations?
>>
>>49124175
Just a small thing, I'm just feeling like that kind of kick buildup is not really fitting for footwork
>>
>>49124387
yeah its just a placeholder at the moment, dont know how to effectively build it up but at the same time keep that vocal sample
>>
>>49124383
I record guitar through a micro cube, directly into the mic jack.
The micro cube (or any amp your have) acts as a level, so you can set it to the exact level you want (Checking on screen that it doesn't exceed 0db)
Works for me, but is probably a pretty pirate solution. I just record straight into FL
>>
>>49124316
I'm not really good describing these kind of things but here I go
the voice repetition (or whatever it's called) around 00:49 just doesn't work, it needs to be shorter
also I think the piano doesn't really fit with the style
what is that thing you're using around 1:25? I like it
>>
>>49124383

dont listen to people in bleed threads about this

buy a cheap shure, mic it to your amp and record that way
>>
>>49124253
>but there's something very special about a real performer playing music from a sheet of paper
somebody looks at a piece of paper and blows into a pipe is certainly quite the ritual, i'll give you that
>Magic happens, and the piece will change [slightly] based on rehearsals: what works, what doesn't, special effects that could be used, etc.
Magic happens, and the piece will change [slightly] based on production sessions: what works, what doesn't, special effects that could be used, etc.
>Understanding each instrument and how to write for them is a huge part of a composers job
understanding sound in its entirety is a more rigorous goal and thus more notable of an ability than knowing how to implement only a handful of types of metal pipes & wooden boxes
> you want your music to be playable
not only is this unneccesary (as if knowing the source of a sequence of sound could redetermine its formalist quality), but it its plain ol living in the past by willingfully limiting oneself to the abilities of human beings
>but still hold the interest of the performer/audience.
necessary universally
>Learning about all the instruments and their limitations and possibilities can take a lifetime, and you never truly learn everything. You're always discovering a new instrument, or a new technique.
>>49124354
>dropping trip left and right
juesus christ, please get ur shit 2gether
>>
>>49124253
>>49124495
>Learning about all the instruments and their limitations and possibilities can take a lifetime, and you never truly learn everything. You're always discovering a new instrument, or a new technique.
I don't get it, do people say this because they're so afraid of solving music that they have to stretch it out over a lifetime to feel good about their hobby?
>>
to anyone struggling on their project or thinking that theres too much to know. just wrote it somewhere on fb so sharing here too

its actually not about your knowledge. if you made already a few tracks that you like then you should realise that its about to get that one thing out of -billions- (this is the number that is overwhelming most people) and put in in a project. then stick to it. or add another. its up to you. people always come to this conclusion at some point (i did yesterday). its the matter of saying 'fuck it, you guys argue which daw is better, am gonna do some fucking banger'. the knowledge can be overwhelming. then its the moment to go sleep, wake up in the morning and write that fucking banger. also, the billion number is the cause why you put this post here (and you are not the only one!) good luck

you can say that what i wrote here is wrong but this is how i roll.

also which distortion/overdrive plugin do you recommend? beside camelcrusher
>>
>>49124539
>having a workflow where you at any point could be overwhelmed by -billions- of possibilities
>still being able to sleep at night
idk how u do this
>>
Your favorite VST Synth?
Mine's Monopoly
>>
>>49124441
ok ill work on the vocal chop.
as for the sample not fitting the genre, im just trying to be a bit original with footwork, its all just old soul records with ignorant hip hop accapellas (dont get me wrong i love that shit). i guess im just trying to do my own thing with the sample choices

that thing at 1 min 25 is the piano sample chopped up and pitched up by 24
>>
File: 1407799507151.jpg (77 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
1407799507151.jpg
77 KB, 500x628
Is NI battery any good or should i just stick to throwing samples into Poise/Kontakt or Reaper directly? I might get an orchestral percussion redux first though.
>>
>>49124623
it's always nice trying to do something new, if you want a different take on footwork you should check out dred collective
I also reccomend eqing the samples properly
>>
>>49124495
This has the look of a producer struggling to comprehend what a composer does.
Its fine if you want nothing to do with real performers, but you're missing out. They're 100 times better than any sample you can find.

>>49124525
This is no hobby. This is a lifetime obsession with music and how that music can be played. Electronic music is one facet, live music is another. It pays to know as much about the facets you wish to pursue as possible. The issue is there's so much to learn about so many instruments, that it really does take a lifetime. I know many older/established composers who still learn new things about instruments on a weekly basis.
>>
>>49124699
ill check them out thanks

none of the track has been mixed at all yet, i do that when ive finished making it
>>
>>49124697
download giest for drums, you get no samples but its an amazing vst.
>>
>>49124703
>A composer (Latin com+ponere, literally "one who puts together") is a person who creates music, either by musical notation or oral tradition, for interpretation and performance, or through direct manipulation of sonic material as electroacoustic music.
>or through direct manipulation of sonic material as electroacoustic music.
are you sure you're not the one who's confused?
>>
>>49124697

I don't have it myself, but Xfer Nerve looks fucking solid.
>>
>>49124823
I'm aware of the technical definition, but the fact is you're not much of a composer if you can't work with real players. They are and have been the main focus of composition for as long as music has been written.
Obviously these day composers are also expected to be proficient with DAWs, electroacoustic works, and synthesizers.
Many composers do actually combine electronic with real performers;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFncet5VHRs
>>
>>49124703
>They're 100 times better than any sample you can find.
wait a sample of what, a sample of an orchestra? this type of music and its fans are so literal it makes me laff, its like people looking at a photograph and saying 'I dnt get it'

ccn your orchestra play any possible sound? no. there's a world of sonic abstraction far beyond what could occur by any natural phenomena or from combining the worn relics of your ancient toychest

>>49124926
define 'player'

because it sounds like you're saying a plane cant get you across the atlantic ocean because it isn't a boat
>>
Why are good samples so hard to find?
help me /production/
>>
>>49124926
>I'm aware of the technical definition
>but the fact is..
the fact IS the technical definition

>>49124981
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnNyxy7XPfs
2:06 is the sexiest break ive ever heard
>>
can /production/ give me some criticism?
here are two tracks

http://vocaroo.com/i/s16SPnkOzgIu
>trap, 808

https://soundcloud.com/sly-dogg/baked-freeform-jam-sesh
>hip hop, math

second one is me playing around with multiple time signatures in FL
>>
>>49125082
vocaroo degrades the quality so badly that i cant give good critisicm on mixing or anything.

the synths on that trap track are sounding like you just picked a preset. good melody though
>>
>>49124975
Players are better than samples because you can tell them what to play, you're not stuck with a static sample. Sure you can have fun with samples, and often combining a real performance with post production editing can make for interesting stuff.
You'd be surprised the amount of interesting and unusual things a traditional orchestra can do. The 60s and 70s were pretty intense for introducing new techniques, guys like Penderecki and Ferneyhough really opened the orchestra up to doing anything.

>define 'player'
Someone who plays an instrument and reads from a score.
band musicians are technically players, but Ideally you want your player to be able to read a score, otherwise precise communication of what you want can be difficult (especially if the player is in another country attempting to play your piece). The more detail you can include in a score, the closer the performance will be to what you want.
Scores evolve over time, after many rehearsals and performances, small details like balance and dynamics change, until you eventually have a score that will produce an excellent performance every time.
>>
>tfw not creative
>tfw can't make a good pitch slide sub bass for trap music
>>
>>49125110
i made all the synths by myself

here's an instaudio link instead
https://instaud.io/2ht
>>
>>49125114
>Players are better than samples because you can tell them what to play
>thinking you just get one sample and you're stuck with it
if I don't like one of my "players" I throw him out and find one of literally infinity instead of one of at most 6 billion

>Someone who plays an instrument and reads from a score.
nothing about generating sound? not that important to you?
>>
>>49124981
>>49125027
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REqXg3NbS8A&html5=1
1:22
>>
>>49124981
The best samples usually need to be bought, Especially if you're looking for samples of real instruments. Companies like East West and Spitfire Audio are all pretty good. You can even find some free/illegal torrents

>>49125027
The technical definition stresses working with real performers.
A composer is someone who learns as much about music theory and history as possible, learns about every instrument and techniques/characteristics specific to those instruments. They attend workshops to have pieces performed and analysed, and essentially spend their lives perfecting their craft.
That's the basis, nowadays composers are also expected to work with electronic music and DAWs.
>>
what are the best vsts for house music. i've been trying to download some but not too sure where to start. i already got ni massive hypersonic 2 and albino 3, but i know i should probably have more
>>
File: AYY LMAO.jpg (5 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
AYY LMAO.jpg
5 KB, 267x200
https://soundcloud.com/swaythoven/two-point-zero

$200 1.3ghz duo AMD HP Laptop $50 ear buds
NO GEAR NO MIDI CONTROL
>>
File: muhSiduhhh.jpg (11 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
muhSiduhhh.jpg
11 KB, 200x200
>>49125221
>when he says samples he actually refers to orchestral audio packs
omg mate hold on i'll be back in a few minutes get to the rest of ur shitpost omg hahah hahaha
>>
I don't uppose there's a better way to get drum sounds than sampling and processing?
>>
>>49125188
Its hard to explain, until you have the joy of working with real performers and attending rehearsals. There is something magic about it. trust me. You can never match the subtleties and inflections of a real performance. No amount of automation can make that happen. Studio and live music are very different. Both have merit.

>nothing about generating sound? not that important to you?
Playing an instrument inherently involves producing sound.
>>
I'd really appreciate some feedback on this:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1UdALj0hMbn
sorry for the vocaroo quality but I don't have a soundcloud.
the voice sample is from an Ur Boy Bangz video
>>
>>49125245
is this ayylmaocore?
>>
>>49125332
Yeee
>>
>>49125245
oh god my head hurts
>>
>>49125389
my ears are so fucking tired
>>
>>49125245
This is great!
Which DAW did you use?

I feel like the synth is actually saying Ayyy Lmaaaoo
>>
>>49125412
Cubase 64bit
>>
>>49125322
you can use http://clyp.it/ to upload
great new site
>>
File: lol.jpg (5 KB, 213x221) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
5 KB, 213x221
>telling people your DAW secrets
>>
hey guys so i bought a new computer and it came with fl 10. any tips for a beginner? also what kind of music can i make on this? can i record stuff with it?
>>
>>49125477
open source state of mind man
>>
>>49125481
Magic Mushrooms make you better at music
>>
File: james.gif (62 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
james.gif
62 KB, 125x125
>>49125495
get on my level with practice, not with imageboard tips
>>
>>49125442
http://clyp.it/1x312pb1
thanks
quality is much better
>>
>>49125315
>have been a performer
yeah m8 its gr8 and its a riot of a time, I agree
but its far from the future of music

>You can never match the subtleties and inflections of a real performance.
imagine you are sitting just outside the room where a performance is taking place and that you cannot see the performers. imagine you listen to two identical pieces: one by a group of performers, and one played from a CD

can you tell which is which?

but
>>
File: Mozart_01.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Mozart_01.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
>>49125563
yes i can tell the difference between the shit they play over the PA before sets and stuff that's actually being played by actual actuality musicians

>mfw aural skills
>>
>>49125506
funny you say that. i was on those last night
>>
>>49125536
they're both fine
>>
not sure if this fits in this thread. My friend and I use ableton, and we wanted to make a really textured/atmospheric song to put at the beginning of our album, and i had this idea to use these huge decorative glass candle holders he has to get a ringing/bell tone. So we used a tuner to find roughly what each candle holder was, and then just used the ones that all sounded good together and produced a nice ring. Then we layered about 10 tracks of just looped feverish smacking of the glass things. As the effects (reverb/dist) start to increase, so does the ringing, and it turned into this cool sunrise shoegaze track. It was pretty surreal to have this actually work and turn out so well. if someone wants a link, i'll post it; the whole album is on bandcamp.
>>
>>49116934

only getting back from work and seeing this now

im going for deep house because i want to make deep house, plus i only have 2 tracks so far

if i wanted to make other genres i would

also if you only listened to 3 mins of each song, generally the style of deep house im going for takes about 3 mins just to build up, im not going for 2 min trap songs that drop every 30 secs. deep house for me anyway is supposed to be chill and mixed nicely into other songs so i can enjoy the build up and the tension before they drop

thanks for the feedback anyway but if you dont know anything about deep house you prob shouldnt be giving many tips
>>
I know there's plenty of midi->usb converters, but does anything do vice versa? I want to hook my lpk25 up to a korg volca for SUPERIOR PORTABILITY
>>
>>49125613
>3 min buildup
>completely boring
>play the same chord progression 64 more times
>kill me
>>
>>49125600
>reading will improve your ability to compose music

just as much as reading will help you climb up the face of a mountain.
>>
>>49116755
this
>>49118867
>>49118969
>>49119062
isnt me by they way although i agree with what he is saying, music is subjective, if you dont like deep house dont comment on peoples house tracks saying they are shit

and you obviously have never listened to proper good old school deep house past the beat port top 100 tunes which are mostly shit

deep house is great music when done properly
>>
>>49125653

thats ok, im not forcing you to listen to it

no need to be a bitch because you dont like my music

i have got a lot of good feedback so far and some people really enjoy it and most importantly i enjoy it so ill keep making what i want thanks
>>
>>49125709
>music that's easier to compose than pop
>hitting the nail on the head

What is... deep house?
>>
What's good software for a complete beginner like me? How do I get started? I know these are broad questions, but any help would be good. Thanks
>>
>>49125733

why are you still trying to argue

dont listen to my music if you done like it

music is subjective

also please post your music to prove you arent competely full of shit, if its good then fair enough but i dont see why you keep telling me my music is shit when im not trying to impress you in the first place, i simply posted my stuff to try and get some help making it better
>>
>>49125671
so what is the problem with sharing your secrets, besides your problem of not having any to share?
>>
>>49125671
ayy
>>
>>49125781

i started with ableton live 8 although i think 9 is available now

it all seems daunting at the start but practice makes perfect.start out simple just copying tutorial videos off youtube untill you figure shit out

and then from there develop your own techniques and style and youll have it in no time

it does take time though

also for dance music check out attack magazine, just search it on google, lost of great tips and walk throughs
>>
>>49125849
So I'm secretless?
your sentence is bad and you should feel bad
>>
>>49125948

thanks man, that means a lot

also im very aware that guy hasnt a clue what he is talking about but i cant let him away with it haha
>>
File: troll.gif (464 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
troll.gif
464 KB, 500x275
>>49125653
>>49125733
possibly also a literal child
>>
>>49125962
>So I'm secretless?
Yes, you could have understood that if you are stupid and can't get context, but we are beyond basic grammar parsing, I hope?
>>
File: heart20of20the20sunrise.jpg (506 KB, 1028x823) Image search: [Google]
heart20of20the20sunrise.jpg
506 KB, 1028x823
This is going to be a 20min long track, to release as an EP, it's already 12 minutes long. I wanted to do something different in the spirit of some of those 20min prog epics from the 70's. It's still very rough though. Any tips on how to progress?

http://clyp.it/y4sfrnrt
>>
>>49125584
>yes i can tell the difference between
>the shit they play over the PA
>stuff that's actually being played by actual actuality musicians
both are played by actual actuality musicians
thus both are shit

wow this was an unexpectedly early checkm808

gg
>>
Daily reminder you're a literal retard if you're only trying to make one genre of music and it's bound to bite you in the ass.
>>
>>49126194
>getting really great at something specific
>bound to bite you in the ass
ayyy
>>
File: STATUE.jpg (94 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
STATUE.jpg
94 KB, 500x375
https://soundcloud.com/actuallyibuki

Can anyone link me to some punchy drum samples? Im fine with about everything else but the drums in logic pro are weak as shit
>>
>>49126210
>something specific being popular today means you can be successful, maybe get famous and rich
>something specific not being popular ten minutes from now means you cry yourself to sleep in your parents' basement with no one giving a fuck and bills piling up because you literally cannot do other music and are now in too deep to branch out
gg
>>
>>49126194

no, this is stupid, make what you want to and enjoy

far too many people in these threads that think they know everything
>>
>>49126259
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKzWLUQizz8

>>49126294
>making music to get famous and rich
>>>/1970/
>>
>>49126098
gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8
>what's EQ?
>>
>>49126045
rofl this fgt's trying to up play english on an image macro site, don't be a racist cunt

cmon fella try harder
>>
>>49126259
drums get punchy when u compress em right
>>
>>49126467
>whats the finite barrier between what is real and whit is simulated?
>>
>>49126594
analog fgt
>>
>>49126624
analog is for gearchumps
>>
the quality of a song is directly related to the number of VSTs and FX you use.

use 2,000 VSTs and FX and you can't lose

/endthread
>>
>>49125221
dude ive been looking for hollywood brass for ages. no luck tho.
>>
Ok guys I have a question for anyone who uses Reason 6. Do you know of any ways to do external sampling, like being able to sample audio files or something? I know there's Recycle but I feel like there should be some other way
>>
>>49126738

dont have a clue how reason 6 works but

use audacity to chop up whatever samples you want and import them into reason?
>>
>>49125584
That's because the background ambience music is produce in studios with many tracks of multiple layers of instrumentation whereas the live set is an extremely rough live mix that sounds pretty shitty in comparison
>>
>>49126770
Wow what happened to this thread?

There's wide variety in both studio and live performance quality.
I've been slamming away in reason getting piano and vocal parts ready for sibelius. a 6/8 piece with an organic vocal part that doesn't really like being over the 6/8 syncopations.
MIDI files are my friend. export from A -> import to B for mock up then C for score
>>
>>49127009

trolls and skrillex fans
>>
>>49125879
Thanks, I'll try it out
>>
>>49123388
some pop shit, pref. by a female vocalist
>>
>>49125607
That sounds neat, id like a link
>>
>>49127160
+1 to the candle holders
>>
we should make a pastebin of essential VSTs and free samples, as well as some infographics on how to make a basic song on FL

The VST list I have so far: (I think they're WIN)
tb_peach
C_Tuner
dblue_crusher
dblue_tapestop
dblue_glitch
dblue_stretch
CamelCrusher
izotope vinyl
TAL Noisemaker
ramen pack
>>
>>49128545
monopoly
>>
is there a pack of "classic" samples? you know, like the amen break and whatnot
>>
>>49128545
putting that in a folder and uploading it to mega would be cool
>>
>>49128628
>>49128593
These are the kinds of things we need.
Will have to do some searching around
>>
>>49128643
bump for this
>>
does anyone in here know anything about recording black metal? is there a specific daw that works best for this? any tips in general? i'm very new to this. if it helps at all im probably going to try to incorporate some ambient synthesizer sounds as well
>>
any tips 4 using ozone?
>>
>>49127160
mainstreamaltrock.bandcamp.com/releases

the song "sunrise" is what im talking about
>>
>>49128545
you can download dblue for free from the main site.
>>
what is the best free reverb vst?

fruity reverb 2 sounds like ass
>>
>>49129750
variety of sound's epicverb is pretty...epic.
>>
>>49128545
voxengo span is the best free fequency analyser
fabfilter stuff is easy as fuck to pirate and they dont have mad digital watermarking that will come back and bite you on the ass

also what the fuck is ramen pack?
>>
>>49129895
cheers m8
>>
Can't wait until FL comes out for Mac :(
>>
oh yeah before i forget,
did anyone else fall in love with ableton's reverb plugin, or is it just me? I literally have a whole album based around that thing (in terms of sound). To be fair, I haven't been able to successfully install another reverb plugin so it could just be a lack of exposure.

How good is the built in ableton reverb plugin compared to the leading VSTs on the market?
>>
what audio interface should i get? i was thinking something along the line of one of the focusrite scarlett models, but i'm not sure. are there any better ones for less than, say, 250 dollars? i need MIDI inputs and outputs, and a headphone jack.
>>
>>49131172
save 245 dollars and get a midi to usb cable
>>
>>49131298
no dont do this. asio 4 all is shite.
>>
>>49131298
but i also need mic inputs and audio outputs
>>
>wishes he knew how to music
>wishes to make trap
>cries every day
>mfw
>>
>>49128545
Why are all of those free?
>>
oh god FL Studio is eating up so much cpu I can barely listen to my own tracks.
HELP ME
>>
>>49112706
>bunch of meme cold war recordings
>piece
>>
>>49132597
I guess even cold war recordings can be memes now, guys. Pack it up.
Thread replies: 235
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.