[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever showed ur friends music that u like? What was their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (3 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 KB, 225x225
Probably "What the fuck is this shit?". Happens every time.
>>
File: -Buy.jpg (40 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
-Buy.jpg
40 KB, 320x320
>>48593123
I showed my friend James Chance and The Contortions and he told me that my music was fucked up. I expected that honestly.
>>
>>48593123
>Friend is playing lots of EDM (super mainstream: Avicii and such)
>Turn on "Pickled!" by FlyLo
>"This sounds terrible."
I expected the reaction so it wasn't too bad.
>>
>>48593123
your friends are probably not as pleb as you are
>>
>>48593123
well shit OP, just show your friends something more accesible first.
>death grips
>>
>>48593158
I showed them Animal Collective. Not even their more experimental stuff. I showed them Brother Sport. They laughed really hard and thought the song was a joke.
>>
>>48593195
Why not show them "My Girls?"
>>
File: cover.jpg (1 MB, 920x920) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
1 MB, 920x920
When I smoke with my friends I like to purposefully put on the weirdest shit i can think of.

Couple days ago I played part of pic related for them in a taco bell drive thru and they took it as prof that I am an alien.
>>
>>48593207
Because the song starts really slow and takes a long time to build up. My friends are not open minded one bit. They wouldn't like anything on my iPod other than the hip hop.
>>
>>48593248
what do they like then
>>
>>48593248
And Brother Sport sounds like a guy giving another guy a bj
>>
>>48593248
Fair, I suppose. Once it gets to the build point, I think it's impossible for most people to dislike it.
>>
>>48593233
play sextant by herbie hancock next time
>>
>>48593123
Exactly the same as your friends, OP.
>>
>>48593253
Mainstream hiphop, pop, and R&B. Never listen to alternative, rock, or experimental music.
>>
>>48593287
What stuff have u showed them?
>>
the only /mu/core my dad likes is king crimson and the flaming lips
>>
>>48593273
Holy fuck will do thanks for the tip duder
>>
File: idoc.jpg (115 KB, 650x341) Image search: [Google]
idoc.jpg
115 KB, 650x341
Oh I forgot:
>in "music book club"
>have to pick albums to listen to each week
>supporting everyone's choices because I think it's important to listen to most all kinds of music
>there's one guy who only votes for/listens to rap and pop hits.
>mfw we had to listen to Iggy Azaela because he wanted to.
>>48593306
dude King Crimson is the bomb.
>>
you guys have shitty friends just sayin
>>
>>48593306
My dad thinks KC are the best prog band actually. He's more into post-punk and new wave though.
>>
>>48593346
When you're antisocial and depressed, it's hard to go out and find better friends.
>>
I showed a couple friends Death Grips. One hated it and the other appreciated it but couldn't get into it. I also showed qt Death Grips and she loved it. We were gonna go to Pitchfork to see them but then something came up on her end and the Death Grips broke up.
>>
>>48593305
Tortoise, mogwai & explosions in the sky.
I thought it was light enough for them to like it or at-least not react that way, guess they aren't used to pure instrumentals.
>>
>>48593346
It's called high school in Washington DC.
>>
>dude this is awful
>this is no lie the worst thing I've ever heard
>I think I'm having a stroke

But then one of my other friends liked Boris and Mogwai, he's pretty cool.
>>
>>48593343
music book club sounds lie a great idea.

I wish I had friends who knew what music is.
>>
>mfw listen almost exclusively to metal
I just show them an instrumental atmospheric black metal track. Though I've had good results with showing people Lifelover tracks, even if they don't listen to metal.
>>
>>48593397
Which Tortoise song did you show them? I'd say Glass Museum is very accessible.
>>
>>48593343
I wanna enter a music book club. Sounds neat
>>
>>48593397
That stuff is pretty accessible. People think that if they only listen to something for a few seconds or just one time they can have their mind made up on whether they like it or not.
>>
>>48593421
I don't remember, it was from the album millions now living will never die, I think it was along the banks of rivers.
>>
>>48593414
>>48593423
It would be neat but so far we haven't really listened to anything challenging. Closest we have got is The College Dropout.
We almost weren't going to listen to Illmatic this week (as a group) because the Pop guy didn't like it.
>>
>This is so boring. Not gonna lie anon you listen to awful music sometimes

I was playing Avatar by Swans.
>>
>>48593500
topkek
>>
>You fucking hipster
I showed him Breadcrumb Trail by Slint.
>>
I once put my phone on shuffle with a friend, sitting on the grass. I remember she watched me strange when Death Grips came, but overall she didn't seem to find it strange or anything.
>>
>>48593560
>Death Grips is the only weird thing he has
suicide yourself
>>
File: 257.png (387 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
257.png
387 KB, 800x800
>>48593123
"What is this? It sounds pretty good."
I even acidentally posted the remix they did of Pretty Boy Swag in a League of Legends game and one guy clicked it and said it was tight.

Have you guys not come out to the people you know about some of the music you listen to?
>>
>>48593574
I don't have a lot of music on my phone. So yeah, at this moment it was the weirdest thing she heard.
>>
>>48593458
Whats the point of going to one of those things if you don't want to try new music? It sounds like something a parent would make their kid do. Like why even go if yourself wouldn't want to listen to new music ,did his mom make him go?
>>
>>48593458
There should be like the principle anything goes. Soo yeah that does sound shitty
>>
>>48593409
underage b&
>>
>Friend puts on BBNG
>Next friend puts on King Krule
>Another friend puts on Electic Wizard
>I put on James Blake and everyone thinks it's weird as shit and they look at me like what the fuck

What
>>
>>48593689
>seniors can't be 18
>>
>oh my god they're fucking stupid. their songs can't even fucking exist, why do people listen to them?

I literally showed him Bull of Heaven's first song, Weed Problem. Which was 44 minutes. Idiots.
>>
>>48593767
kek
>>
>>48593767
Woah what the fuck? Even my dad likes James Blake, how could your friends find James Blake weird in any way?
>>
>>48593769
>18
underageb8
>>
>>48593377
get on antidepressants
>>
>>48593774
well, they're right

bull of heaven are garbage
>>
>>48593828
>taking the fluoxetine jew
>>
>>48593800

I honestly don't understand it myself. They're usually pretty cool when it comes to music. It sticks in my mind as a strange moment.
>>
>>48593767
>put music with oversaturate random farting noises
>thinking that someone would enjoy
go to smoke some weed, chav.
>>
My friends love the metal and "chill" music I put on
Showed them the radio dept. and The Contortionist the other day. They were really into

I've figured out exactly what theyd enjoy, since I also enjoy it, whereas before I would put on what /mu/ enjoyed
>>
I only play ridiculously cheesy music at parties, like italo disco or Initial D soundtracks or speedcore, so there's bound to always bound to be a couple of guys who will like it because it's so over the top and that kind of music is generally fun as fuck when drunk. Most people don't like the stuff I play but it doesn't matter because I don't hog the whole playlist to myself.
>>
>>48593942

I don't even understand this post.
>>
>>48593500
but swans is awful.
>>
>What was their reaction

Awkward silence and departure from the premises.
>>
File: 1403882820569.jpg (58 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
1403882820569.jpg
58 KB, 479x720
>>48594319
>>
I keep showing my friend music, he keeps liking it, but instead of finding anything else he just OBSESSES over what I show him and doesn't shut the fuck up about it

it gets to the point where all I can think about when I listen to it is hitting this motherfucker with a hammer.

He fucking ruined Lightning Bolt for me.
>>
>>48593123
all my good friends love swans and /mu/core and get tons of girls. no joke it's awesome
>>
I listen to Cop in the shower sometimes. My roommate asked me to put it on at some house party next time because that would be hilarious.
>>
>>48594438
>Lightning Bolt
kek
>>
>>48594673
nigga ordered some shit and was fucking AMAZED that Brian Chippendale had shipped it himself

I shit you not it's like he didn't know how the fucking mail works
>>
>>48593273
My niggah my niggah
>>
>>48593123
but my friends all listen to swans
>>
>>48593377
smoke weed
>>
When I bought a copy of Money Store my friend said I should put it on when we got back to the car.

You can already guess how she reacted.
>>
>>48595079
death grips is pretty pleb-friendly music, especially that album. i know a lot of people who listen to death grips. why do you think they were touring with nin and soundgarden?
>>
I showed my Christian, very pastel friend Caroliner. She actually liked it, and has talked about/asked me to play it since. She usually listens to pop hits, so it was a... Shocking discovery.
>>
yesterday i played Montreal by Autechre and my friend sat there laughing throughout it because it was "ridiculous" and the "beats were all random"
>>
holy shit you all are so fucking autistic
>>
>>48593609
He's like, 22 or so.
He also is incredibly juvenile when criticizing music.
>It didn't interest me.
>What didn't interest you in the album?
>idk it just didn't interest me.
>>48593643
Yeah. Hopefully we'll eventually get to the more challenging stuff.
>>
File: yay.gif (2 MB, 400x218) Image search: [Google]
yay.gif
2 MB, 400x218
I've shown Death Grips to a lot of my friends.
>show bro friend "Hacker" - he asks who the band is and says he likes it
>show other bro friend Hacker, I've Seen Footage and Spread Eagle Cross The Block - likes them
>show gf Spread Eagle Cross The Block - says they're interesting but wouldn't listen to them without me
>one girl I showed them to hated them and that was it

Also:
>be at new job
>working stockroom
>my new floor manager is playing music through a little phone dock they have
>tells me he's been getting into metal, and that he'll play some pop and then metal
>after a while he asks me what I want to put on
>ohshit.jpg
>Since I Left You
>it's not on Spotify
>blank for a moment
>put on Illmatic
>he ends up loving it
>he leaves as the album ends
>put on Doolittle next
>he comes back in and asks if I put that album on
>Pixies are one of his favorite bands
>end up having a long talk about what the best song off Doolittle was and what the best Pixies album is

>tfw when it's not hard at all to talk to people about music
>>
>>48595243
>the "beats were all random"
you should show that friend something off exai then
>>
>>48593831
it's not even that. they refuse to listen to anything that's of more than 4-5 minutes in length.
>>
To Be Kind is the only thing my friends have never liked.

They didn't like death grips at first, but then they got into Kanye and it grew on them i guess
>>
>>48595335
>tfw nobody you know likes lowercase
>>
I have 2 or 3 friends wich I can be totally open with my shit taste in noise, ambiental, drone, and all that kind of stuff that would have normal people worried about me. It feels fucking great.

One of them is into even weirder stuff than me and shows me bands all the time.
>>
>>48595269

reminds me of a friend I have of the same age, wanted to go to bonnaroo solely for Kanye and Vampire Weekend. couldnt care less about anyone else playing
>>
>>48593123
The Mars Volta
>this is weird
>this song is so long but actually feels like there are 3 songs in it
>wtf is this?
>why is he screaming so gay?

Any jazz/funk stuff
>this is elevator/supermarket music anon, how do you enjoy it?
>sounds good but i cant enjoy it at all

my own music
>well at least its what you like to do, didnt you?
>this is weird

>tfw almost all of them listen to thrash/glam/versr-chorus-verse-solo songs
>>
>>48595700
i think a lot of my friends don't even know i make music. i rarely talk about it to anyone.
>>
>>48595335
>since I left you
Smart move, very accessible
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWfR00O_TZ8
I actually did it on purpose knowing they'd be flabbergasted.
>>
>>48595864
somehow I copied the wrong link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBA6wVnTEjI
>>
I showed my hip hop head friend Lil Ugly Mane and he thought it was sick, also introduced him to Death Grips and I think he likes them
>>
File: james-murphy.jpg (63 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
james-murphy.jpg
63 KB, 450x300
>want friend to listen to LCD soundsystem

>put on "losing my edge"

>he tells me it's the worst thing he's ever heard almost instantly

>forcibly shuts it off after 2 minutes

>mfw
>>
File: TimBuckley_Starsailor.jpg (39 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
TimBuckley_Starsailor.jpg
39 KB, 400x400
>Show Starsailor to mama
>He sings like he got a trumpet up in his ass
>oh wait, that's not even singing
>the only two people who like this is you and the mother of the singer
>I bet you don't even like this
>He sings like a fucking monkey, If he was my son I would hit him until he screams like a man
it was fun
>>
>>48595925
LCD soundsystem suck so bad dude.

Do you think Drunk Girls is a good song?
>>
>>48593233
>tfw rapper friend with big red car blasts slippi for you after a huge blunt driving into manhattan

he grinned and looked at me, and said 'i bet you thought i was a pleb huh'
>>
>>48595925
i would react the same way. lcd soundsystem sucks. don't put your friends through that.
>>
>>48593123
>Show a friend Primordial
>"Wow, is this guy on drugs?"
>Fucking Primordial
>Too weird for them

Mother of Christ.
>>
>>48595955
he is a pleb though, that's the worst song on the album
>>
>friend looks through my phone to see what music I have
>every now and then he's like "who are these people"
>at the end he says he's "dissapointed"
>"at least you have Gorillaz anon"
>>
File: angry-smiley.jpg (32 KB, 670x230) Image search: [Google]
angry-smiley.jpg
32 KB, 670x230
>>48595939
>>
>>48596014
DRUNK GIRLSZ!!!!!

LOOK AT ME I'M TALKING OVER DISCO SONGS!
>>
>>48593343
>Music book club
That actually sounds pretty cool, but unfortunately it would probably devolve into a pitchfork circle jerk, if it wasn't infested by complete and utter sub-0-level plens, that is.
>>
>>48596035
Basically what I've been trying is to slowly wean them into more avant-garde through the easier stuff like Kid A. Even that, though, I am sure they won't like. There's another guy who suggests Girl Talk and Tobacco though, so that's neat.
>>
>>48596074
>There's another guy who suggests Girl Talk and Tobacco though, so that's neat.
ne because girl talk is absolute plebshit
>>
>puts VHS Head's Jager
>friend: what the fuck is this shit? This sounds like fucking Justice. Terrible
>friend changes to Pink Floyd

Fucking dadrock fags, I swear.
>>
>>48596035
Me and some friends did something like this, where we would all bring our favorite records over to one of our houses and listen to them while we played VG or drank or something. It was good fun.
>>
>>48593419
>>mfw listen almost exclusive to metal
I know that feel, friend.
I've noticed the same thing when I've shown someone Life|over. There must just be some certain quality they possess that makes people more open to them.
>>
>>48596091
I haven't listened to them but I thought Fantano liked them? IDK
>>
I have one friend who is super open minded and it feels so good to share stuff with him. He's always so excited and it makes my day.
>>
>>48596121
That sounds awesome. I should try that sometime when I become less busy.
>>
>>48596135
it's just shitty mashups that sound like shit. the worst part is that it has good songs like windowlicker mixed in with a bunch of terrible pop.
>>
>>48596155
Well, I guess I'll discover my opinions on it this week.
I find it important that I'm getting to listen to an artist I've never listened to before, anyways.
>>
I was camping with my friends a few days ago and I let them listen to "She Loves Us"

they laughed and said it was the crappiest thing they had ever heard.

:( what do i do?
>>
I always play the first two tracks of Hello Everyone Nice to Meet You We Are Midori in the car. During the first one they all laugh at me and ask if I'm gay. Then the second track comes on and they go "WHAT THE FUCK TURN THIS OFF!" Then I play Wakusei Abnormal instead and they ask why I listen to such weird shit. By then anything else I play is relatively normal and they won't complain about it.
>>
>>48593123
I don't show my friends music I know they won't enjoy. They like certain music and I'll ask them if they know the entry level artists to another genre and if they don't I leave it there, as I understand not everyone has the same taste.
>>
I got one my friends into Cardiacs and another one is getting into Henry Cow. I usually show them weird stuff I find from time to time, but they don't usually like it. It's fun at least.

>>48596815
Haha, I have showed them Midori and Wakusei too. They sort of liked Midori, especially because at the beginning of a song it sounds like she is screaming one of my friends last name.
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.