[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Producer General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 14
File: producan.png (110 KB, 1600x860) Image search: [Google]
producan.png
110 KB, 1600x860
What's /mu/ making today?

Whether you use Fruit Loops or Unableton, everyone is welcome to share what tunes they're creating.

Pic related, a little groove/funk track I've started today

Also, producer general (share tips, feedback and whatnot)
>>
>Untitled*
you better save that
>>
>>48397401
what if the track is untitled?
>>
>>48397401
Don't worry, I did

>>48397464
It is Untitled right now as a matter of fact
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 293x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 293x300
>>48396854
>unableton
>>
>>48397593
:^)
>>
File: disableton.png (270 KB, 1920x1118) Image search: [Google]
disableton.png
270 KB, 1920x1118
Disableton user here, currently making a big room track (completely satire) for a friend as a birthday present.
pic related

also as a tip: when doing your mix-down before mastering, always give your instruments -5 dB headroom. It helps so much in mastering later.
>>
File: 1394389856055.jpg (41 KB, 625x313) Image search: [Google]
1394389856055.jpg
41 KB, 625x313
https://soundcloud.com/lummmusic/lana-del-rey-summertime-sadness-remix
Just made this a little while ago - I'm not very comfortable remixing things, but wanna get more used to it.
What do you think?
>>
>>48397973
Hm, seems like a big project for a joke. I never really go over 5 or 6 tracks in my works.

A bit inexperienced at mastering as well, what does your process consist of besides boosting and lowering frequency bands?
>>
>>48398078

>Hm, seems like a big project for a joke.
It's just from layering a load of synths and percussion together. Also because I'm shit at synthesis theory I'm gawful at making good patches and end up just layering basic shit together.

And for mastering, I just EQ all my shit, compress/sidechain if I haven't already done. I use iZotope as well for things like stereo expansion. I'll also stick a glue compressor on the master and large group buses to make sure everything doesn't clip.
>>
>>48398193
I see, personally mastering has seemed to yield an insignificant change in the overall sound for me so far, guess I'll be digging around a bit more to see if I can make it worthwhile.
>>
>>48398292
It really depends on how picky you are. Usually mastering isn't a problem when you don't have many layered instruments but it's especially useful if you're either an audiophile or multiple synths are conflicting at certain frequencies.

I sometimes get very annoyed if something doesn't sound just right. But then you've got to remember that the vast majority of people listening to your songs will either have less than high quality sound systems/headphones and/or will know jack shit about audio fidelity and won't care if a drum is slightly weak.
>>
>>48396854
>>48397973
can you guys post the songs even if its unfinished i really want to fucking hear them PLEASE
>>
>>48398050
Honestly not my style so take this with a grain of salt..

Overall it seems dull, a bit too dreary in contrast to the real song, but atmospheric dreary. I didn't like the vocal chopping, was kind of annoying to hear a word and then hear it cut out, I personally like to hear some part of the vocals intact in a remix, but that's just me. Again, not my style so someone else is probably much better suited to tell you about it.
>>
File: wippity wappity wopwopwop.jpg (112 KB, 1365x746) Image search: [Google]
wippity wappity wopwopwop.jpg
112 KB, 1365x746
:D sunvox
>>
>>48398446
Haha actually just finished mine, I'm OP btw

https://soundcloud.com/krunch/nightlife
>>
>>48398525
cute
sounds like pinecone
>>
>>48398448
Thanks.
Yeah, I think you're right. It wasn't initially intended to be a remix, but using the acapella for vocal samples made it so.
Thank you for being direct/forward with feedback - very much appreciated!
>>
>>48398446
Will upload to SC now.
>>
>>48398448
I, disagree.
>>48398050
I liked the chopping, in fact i thought it could use more samples, but at times the chopping got boring, like at 1:44, the 'chorus' repeats itself, but should have been at least slightly different from the previous chorus. or something like that
>>
>>48397973
>-5 dB headroom

bitch please i leave - 18 db
>>
>>48398491
Never seen that DAW before, looks unique.
>>
File: 1380169230679.jpg (74 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
1380169230679.jpg
74 KB, 600x399
>>48398660
Agreed. I didn't really do nearly as much with the track as I could/should have.
Next time things will be different hahahaa
Thanks for the feedback homie
>>
you are either an artist who can write songs or you are an engineer who can mix into infinity. you can not be both please dont try. you either make good songs or you make good songs better.

songwriting is seperate from mixing/mastering
>>
>>48398732
At first it seems really boring, like it was just made to make chiptunes and such, but it's actually really powerful. And if you do try it out, I suggest you learn it on your own.
>>
>>48398748
Yeah this I can't imagine a human being having TWO skills. How crazy would that be?
>>
>>48398446
here is >>48397973
https://soundcloud.com/ark_ryl/unfinished-song-for-mu
>>
>>48398835

>implying that engineering and song writing are the same thing.

tell me one /bleep/ artist who doesn't send their shit to get professionally mixed and mastered.

even burial had uncle kode9 to fix his shit before it got sent to master
>>
man i just done the live sound for a karaoke night. i want to kill myself
>>
>>48399008
stop being so british.
>>
>>48398525

A kick that has some sub bass would help this. That bassline got irritating too. I like the rhodes and guitar though, has a Da Funk vibe to it

>>48398050
>https://soundcloud.com/lummmusic/lana-del-rey-summertime-sadness-remix

Loving the vocal cuts, I like this.

This is the most recent thing I've released https://soundcloud.com/robots-cant-dance/danny-brown-blunt-after-blunt-robots-cant-dance-bootleg
>>
File: tableton.jpg (314 KB, 1280x994) Image search: [Google]
tableton.jpg
314 KB, 1280x994
I'm just starting this
>>
>>48399008
>implying that engineering and song writing are the same thing.

I literally implied the opposite what are you talking about. They're two different skills and, stay with me here, humans are capable of learning more than one skill.
>>
>>48399089
i write melody's and basslines, i dont give a fuck about eqing kickdrums to perfection, im an artist not a nerd. id rather pay the nerd to fix my tunes as he has never been to a club and therfore his ears are not fucked up
>>
>>48399208
yeah i know but you cant be good at both, hence the existance of mastering studios. you need perfect ears to master. im pretty sure all djs have hearing damage at some range or else they are super boring cunts who keep levels low in a club
>>
>>48399214
Dude, you need to know how to EQ for clubs, stop lying yourself. That's why now there are so many guys with weak kicks, or too much bass. You need to know at least the basics.

Also, producing music is so basic and easy that is recommendable to learn about mixing and mastering, unless you're lazy
>>
>>48399214
5/10, played your hand too soon but you still might get some responses
>>
File: 1402796746225.jpg (67 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1402796746225.jpg
67 KB, 1024x768
>>48396854
hey guys
i want to do some dark ambient or something like radigue works or maybe some synthpop for my own listening
what program is the best for a begginer? also i dont have a synthetizer
>>
>>48398748
lol wut
>>
>>48399361
are you better at writing melodys or getting your elements sounding perfect? simple
>>
>>48399318
>being this new
Dude, read about DAWs and VST. Ableton is the best option IMO, watch Tom Cosm's tutorial, each one it's one hour long.
>>
>>48399318
fuck off mate use google.
>>
>>48399439
people are capable of learning both - this isn't the 60s anymore.
>>
GLAD TO SEE THIS THREAD IS ACTUALLY ABOUT PRODUCTION AND NOT ABOUT ANALOG SYNTHS

ANALOG SYNTHS DOES NOT EQUAL PRODUCTION
>>
>>48399460
Thanks for the help!
>>48399464
w0w Ok you dont need to be rude..
>>
>>48399318
>implying you could just do some Radigue

laffin so had hard
>>
>>48399497
yes they are capable but you master one art not two. no one has gave me examples of an artist/engineer as they dont exist. rustie gets his tunes mastered, burial gets his tunes mastered, hudmo gets his tunes mastered. only spergs think they can do both at a pro level
>>
>>48399602
...It would be even better ;^D
>>
>>48399497
there was basically no mixing in the 60s just recording techniques, i know this as i had to write a fucking huge essay on mixing techs and my lecturer said anything pre 70s is null and void
>>
>>48399567
dont need to be such a fucking idiot who cant use google. i bet you make statuses on facebook asking inane shit instead of using the google
>>
>>48399609
skrillex does xd
>>
What is the best program to use to go between PC and Mac? I'm working on music with a friend and he insists on using Logic Pro (regardless of the fact that it can't be used on PC) because he doesn't want to pirate FL Studio beta.
>>
>>48399722
Ableton
>>
>>48399649
So that's why you're so arrogant haha. There were mixing techniques in the late 60s, they re-recorded stuff to get more tracks, so they mixed everything before doing that. It was pretty hard.
>>
Sup /mu/. Help me find a DAW!

I own Komplete 9 Ultimate so I dgaf about what plugins it comes with. So far I've worked with Reaper and FL Studio. I like Reaper for being able to tempo map, simpler audio recording (expanding multiple takes onto their own tracks etc.), an all around better midi editor.

I like FL better for automation clips. Reaper is a giant pain in the ass in that regard. I can't just right click a knob and make a curve out of it. Pattern-based sequencing is kinda nice too but I try to avoid that. I'm ok just copy and pasting midi and audio clips.

So out of the other DAWs do you think any of them will actually meet my needs? Mainly tempo maps, changing time signatures but not for the whole project, decent automation clip handling, and a quick audio recording workflow.
>>
>>48399929
It depends on what kind of music you're making. But Reason it's a good option for what are you asking. Shit is hard to learn tho
>>
>>48399929
Ableton
>>
File: my cumming face.jpg (125 KB, 1600x673) Image search: [Google]
my cumming face.jpg
125 KB, 1600x673
I downloaded logic pro x about a month ago. Does anyone else use it? Or am I just wasting my time trying to get good at a program that will never be able to attain a professional grade sound? All this stuff is really interesting to me

https://soundcloud.com/jackson-christopher

If anyone wants to give me some advice about mastering based on some of my stuff I'd appreciate it a lot
>>
>>48400186
Pro DAWS:
Login
Ableton
Reason
FL Studio
>>
>>48400221
>forgetting Cubase
>forgetting Pro Tools
>forgetting Reaper
>>48399975
Reason has no vst support so his Komplete 9 will be useless.
>>
File: green.png (114 KB, 467x506) Image search: [Google]
green.png
114 KB, 467x506
>>48400221

I'll assume you meant logic but yeah, it was such an intuitive program that I was beginning to think there's no way that pros use it
>>
File: upcomingcollab.png (223 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
upcomingcollab.png
223 KB, 1280x800
>>48398491
awe shit i love sunvox, i made a few tracks on my phone.
here's one that i uploaded
https://soundcloud.com/fluffybunniesrabbits/black

I use Renoise, working on a collab track right now. It's like a house tune with some rapping, it's basically done but i might have to change a few things, just waiting for the other person i am working with to see if they want some changes before it gets uploaded
>>
>>48400221
also forgetting Renoise which is God tier
>>
does guitar pro count
>>
>>48399889
mate i went through college getting blasted with beatles recording bullshit. if there was credible mixing you would hear john and that talking in the reverb room when having smoke breaks
>>
>>48400382
>tfw when im use reaper and my college use macs and protools
>tfw when trying to explain why macs are for idiots
>>
>>48400877
*wouldnt
>>
>>48398078
>5 or 6 tracks

c'mon man, I regularly have 30+. It's all about what kind of texture and harmonic content you're trying to achieve.

Fuck Ableton though.
>>
File: PHOTO_18263649.jpg (85 KB, 850x506) Image search: [Google]
PHOTO_18263649.jpg
85 KB, 850x506
Can someone ID those white monitors John is using?
>>
File: Frusciante-studio-web.jpg (81 KB, 630x473) Image search: [Google]
Frusciante-studio-web.jpg
81 KB, 630x473
>>48401150
And what some of the shit is in this pic
>>
>>48401150

I think they are barefoot

http://barefootsound.com/

fucking expensive mane.
>>
>>48400918
>not using at least 3 DAWS and different OSs across the board to complete a project.

You guys are fucking pussies.
>>
>>48401143
>Fuck Ableton though.
boo hoo. too hard for you?
>>
>>48401222
http://vintageking.com/barefoot-sound-micromain-27-gen2-pair

>11,000
HOLY FUCKING SHIT

I'll just get a pair of KRK's I guess
>>
>>48401264

Indeed, they sound fucking awesome but yeah, 11 grand, thats fun.
>>
>>48401249
no actually, it was way too simplistic. You can't set multiple complex meters. It also handles regular audio in a counterintuitive manner. I do like the beat matching algorithm, and the MIDI learn/programmability is great, but it really did not suite my needs. Everybody talked up how awesome it was, and was really nothing but disappointed.
>>
>>48401311
>It also handles regular audio in a counterintuitive manner.
how so?
>>
Just bought my first MIDI controller today. Nothing fancy, just an Akai LPD8. Should hold me over for a while until I have the funds to invest in more equipment. Anyone have experience with it? I've heard you shouldn't use the USB that comes with it because it fucks up and renders the controller useless.
>>
File: 2014-07-19 20_50_36-.jpg (382 KB, 1920x1041) Image search: [Google]
2014-07-19 20_50_36-.jpg
382 KB, 1920x1041
Fiddled around with the levels on this fucker for a while, couldn't seem to get it quite right. Too much ear fatigue to figure out what's wrong myself right now

https://soundcloud.com/crabcakes-rudan/slangin-rocks
>>
>>48401366
How would the cord provided render the controller useless?
>>
>>48401613
Supposedly the USB jack comes loose and fucks up pretty easily, but most reviews I've read have been very positive, only a small number I've read have reported the issue so maybe those users are the types who are rough with their equipment? One solution to the problem that I've read is just to use a standard USB cable rather than the one it comes with
>>
>>48401354
As "samples" which cannot be properly aligned at the 0 mark unless you record it inside of ableton. It seems to work pretty cool as a live looper, but TBH, I'd rather just use my looper pedals, it's also worth saying that almost every DAW will let you trigger loop and transport controls in realtime, via MIDI.

So outside of using it for DJing or *tronic production, I couldn't really find a use for it. Also, I've already got, and use other stuff for that anyway, that is way less of hassle to use. If they fix some of the most basic aspects I'd consider converting, but in it's current state, it's just more annoying(to me anyway) than helpful.
>>
>>48401826
Live does lack some things for audio, definitely. Not being able to increase or decrease waveform size is one that annoys me. I still use it because I think it's more inspiring to work in than other DAWs.
>>
>>48401187
Like what are all those instruments that appear to be the same?
And what's the mixer in front of him?
>>
>>48401890
I'd rather use Ardour, Reason, Digital Performer, and Pro-Tools.

They all do different things better than the other, so I just use them all for different parts of the project.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.