[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bleeproduction/ #22
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29
File: MG-1-Shot-ALL2[1].jpg (108 KB, 735x383) Image search: [Google]
MG-1-Shot-ALL2[1].jpg
108 KB, 735x383
I missed out on the challenge talk in #21 but reading about it on the archives, damn... I love /bleeproduction/.
>>
where do you guys get your software at?
>>
>>48337378
http://vst4free.com/
>>
bumpu
>>
Won't be posting much today but I think for all those who weren't here last thread, we've agreed that there will be a song challenge starting this Sunday. Everyone is gonna post their song on the following Saturday so it's like a ~6 day challenge.

The goal is to just make a really good bleep, as fleshed out a bleep as you possibly can, no specifications other than it shouldn't be more than 7 minutes or so. I guess we are just posting in the thread, but when we post, You give an explanation of what you were going for with the song, and how you mixed it, what you think is cool about your mix. This part is pretty important for all of us.

I think we are all going to submit them via clyp.it if anyone has any alternatives please talk about it, but I think we're all against SC and BC.

Also, the song's gotta be 100% from scratch, no previous works, no returning to wips, just a new song.
>>
>>48340496
as someone who doesn't strictly make bleep, is it okay to submit something that heavily incorporates synths? or does it have to be 100% electronic?
>>
Anyone here using STS-21 Pro? I'm not sure if it sounds like shit, or I'm just too dumb to use it properly.
>>
>>48340621
Not too familiar with DAWs but from what I've heard, FL Studio has good effect plugins but pretty mediocre synths.
>>
>>48340594

Not that guy, but as another person heavily involved in "making this happen", I think it would be alright, especially as long as you produce and master it all yourself.

I'd say a good general rule of thumb is that you're doing the producing (we're all trying to learn how to make better quality mixes basically), and I'd say use at least 1 synth, since this is bleepproduction after all. I don't see anything wrong with using other instruments like guitar and vocals or whatever, though.

Other people feel free to correct me or give opinions on this, just saying what I think on the issue here.
>>
>>48340594
>>48340888

I agree with your sentiments, having to use synths only is ironically limiting for this bleeproduction challenge
>>
>>48340923

But using at least 1 is probably a good idea otherwise it's probably not bleep at all.

Need at least one bleep (instrument) per song.
>>
>>48341262
>But using at least 1 is probably a good idea otherwise it's probably not bleep at all.
Of course, of course
>>
File: tube_mp-original_top_lg[1].jpg (59 KB, 600x579) Image search: [Google]
tube_mp-original_top_lg[1].jpg
59 KB, 600x579
In production-related news, I got this today and it's amazing
>>
>>48341431

Did you record anything with it yet, that we could hear?

You might not be able to answer this, but: how is it compared to the focusrite scarlett series? It's pretty cheap at $50 but idk if I need it after already having a 2i2.

Since it's a tube, how's the noise?
>>
what is /bleeproduction/ ?
>>
>>48341495
Yeah, I recorded the bassline for my next song using my Pulse2 and the MP Tube. Analog warmth, here we go

I have a Scarlett 2i2, too, and I use the Tube in a different way than the Scarlett. First of all, it has only 1 mic and 1 instument jack, meaning that you will have to work in mono with this thing. It also has no USB or Firewire jack. Basically I just use the Tube MP as a pre-amp/"color-giver" then record it with my 2i2. That also solves the noise issue, it's not really noisy at all.
>>
File: nazicaptchar.jpg (23 KB, 307x175) Image search: [Google]
nazicaptchar.jpg
23 KB, 307x175
>>48341536
The best thread on /mu/
>>
>>48341495
PS: Still working on my next song but you will hear it soon
>>
File: image.jpg (186 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
186 KB, 960x640
>>48341431
Love mine. I've got a VU meter on mine though. Anybody looking to get a monotron should spend their money on this. Not that they do anything the same, but for less money, you get so much more.

I use mine for dialing in the perfect amount of dirt on my Hammond
>>
>>48341262
what is bleep?
cause i consider my music purely electronic and I use synths liike never these days.
so is this like a close-minded thing for a narrow range of style or
>>
>>48341536
Production discussion threads with an emphasis on synth based music. It's not a sound loud thread and it makes people angry for some reason.
>>
Can anyone suggest a good keyboard or organ for folk(ish) and drone music? Looking for something not too expensive that I can use with my looper pedal
>>
>>48341536
where nerds talk about gear and production without making it about themselves, and are only supposed to share tracks when they need feedback

so yeah, the best thread on /mu/ alright
>>
File: image.jpg (378 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
378 KB, 1920x1040
>>48341660
Cloud
Whatever
>>
>>48341702
Organ is quite a different territory. Combo or drawbar sounds?
Are you cool with a big ass home organ, or are you willing to spend more money on a portable instrument?
>>
>>48341579
>>48341613

Nice, thanks for the response. I'm especially interested in hearing what you do with the Pulse2 through it. If you could maybe do a short demo where you run the P2 through the 2i2 and then another where you go through the tube and then the 2i2 to compare, that'd be really helpful.

Fuckin' sweet to hear you also have a 2i2, so you run the P2 into the tube, then run the output of the tube into the 2i2?

Sounds epic, and again, dat low price tag. Probably gonna have to pick one up myself, and run my (still not arrived yet, ffffffu-) microbrute through it.
>>
>>48341743

I live in a fairly small apartment, so probably something smaller. I could keep an accordion in my parent's place, but that's like 40 minutes away. I saw one on craigslist for 30$ and have been wanting one.

I need something to play bass lines that doesn't sound too electronic, but am a complete pleb when it comes to knowing about keyboards and stuff.
>>
>>48341781
Well there's not a lot of portable organs that don't sound electronic and are under $1000, so keep that in mind.

I have to go back to work, I'll elaborate if you need me to in about 4 hours
>>
>>48341649

Basically just a slang term for electronic music, which further mostly means the use of at least 1 synthesizer at a minimum, but can also include computer techniques like sampling and chopping, drum machines, and the like.

Not narrow at all, actually pretty broad tbh. Should be common sense. But if you record a song with just you strumming guitar and singing and nothing else, it's probably not bleep material, but if you do that and have a synth bassline then it's bleep (though on the minimal side of fitting the definition), know what I mean?
>>
>>48341707

>without making it about themselves

This is probably why we're the best, and we all work hard to keep it this way, and to, in general, be polite and helpful and not be pricks or trolls to each other. Joey was a great example of how we stamp that shit out quickly and with determination.

We're like the city upon a hill for /mu/.
>>
How do I get into production? Is there any recommended reading or resources? What should I buy for a basic set up, I mean I know that a midi keyboard is a thing but I just want to make create music.

Please, you're my only hope

I've read music theory for dummies but I feel like edm is a different beast to tackle , as that was more written for rock and classical understanding.
>>
>>48341873
So this is basically the self-congratulatory groupthink thread of /mu/.
>>
>>48341771
> so you run the P2 into the tube, then run the output of the tube into the 2i2?

Yes

>If you could maybe do a short demo where you run the P2 through the 2i2 and then another where you go through the tube and then the 2i2 to compare, that'd be really helpful.

OK, I did a short demo with it. I used the Tube to slightly saturate/distort the Pulse 2's signal. First part is Pulse 2 straight into 2i2, then Pulse 2 thru Tube to 2i2 https://soundcloud.com/danielkostuj/tubetest
>>
>>48342079
Sorry, I set the track to private, here is the actual share link:

https://soundcloud.com/danielkostuj/tubetest/s-r60uc
>>
Hey guys what would you define this as and how do you think i should go about getting an organic sound?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us0lb99RYUg
>>
>>48341970
nah, we just play with synths and talk about them
>>
>>48342115

Nice, nice. It definitely sounds a bit fatter with the tube's saturation. Thanks again.
>>
>>48341781

I have an Alesis QS7.1, it's a digital synthesizer but you can get them really cheap (I got mine for $175 used at guitar center. I like buying used shit from there because they check everything and make sure everything works so I don't need to worry about buying a lemon), along with piano and electric piano sounds (I'm really big into the sound of rhodes and wurlitzers), it has a number of really good organ sounds.

I could do a demo of a few if you'd like.
>>
Let's stop this city on a hill shit you guys; come on that's like a new level of meta arrogance.
>>
>>48342333
It's true though
>>
>>48342348
Insert some shit about doing it not saying it
>>
>>48342333
Don't take it so serious. Here, have some 808 samples.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vi9abzyik8s6w3x/Roland%20TR-808.rar
>>
>>48342333

Relax. You should be happy there's at least one thread that's consistently not shitty on /mu/.

We're trying to raise the standards of this place by carving out our own little corner of awesome. If you don't like the terminology, that's fine, call it whatever you want, but that's basically what is going on here.

And that's the last I'll speak on the subject, please don't shit this place up.
>>
>>48342498
>muh hugbox
>>
>>48342322

My concern is that it sounds fairly organic. I'll check it out and look around to see if I find anything like that.
>>
>>48342627
Considering how the alternatives on /mu/ look like, I'd much rather have this hugbox
>>
>>48342628

Here, this is one of my favorite organ patches. I put only a slight bit of reverb (from the QS7.1, moved the slider up to maybe 30%) on it, run through my scarlett 2i2 and recorded in stereo in Audacity. I also moved the sliders around through it to show the different tones:

http://clyp.it/wdm2fjum

Let me know what you think.
>>
>>48342670

That's pretty rad. I'll definitely look into that.
>>
>>48342627

Not really a hugbox, just more mature/professional.

If your mix is shit, I'm gonna tell you it's shit. But I'm gonna also tell you why so you can improve, and be polite about it.
>>
>>48342670
fucking fantastic
>>
>>48342733
>>48342744

:_D compliments are the best.

Also, Protip: old (well, QS's are from the 90's) digital synths are the best MIDI controllers. Just make sure they have a MIDI I/O. The QS7.1 is all metal, and the keybed is fucking orgasmic. Seriously, it's such a joy to play these keys, and you can hear the expression I can get out of it on that demo. I should put up an electric piano demo too, so you can hear the dynamics on it with it's great range of velocities.

Built like a tank, 72 keys, lots of great sounds ITB (honestly if it only had that Trampled electric piano patch, I'd be happy. The rest is gravy), and only $175 (usually in the $150-250 range). I'm sure some other people could list some of the other brands that make great MIDI controllers, but I'd definitely suggest to everyone to look into that shit instead of buying the overpriced plastic stuff on the market today.
>>
File: 1_01totale[1].jpg (57 KB, 1200x312) Image search: [Google]
1_01totale[1].jpg
57 KB, 1200x312
>>48342833
AN1x master keyboard master race
>>
>>48343203

Ugh, don't remind me. I almost had one, but it got bought the day before I was gonna go pick it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ldkFXI68co&hd=1

Still very happy with my QS7.1, but yes the AN1x is definitely a sexy synth.
>>
>>48342742
take a look around nigger.

this is 4chan nigger.

we aren't pussys and we dont care about peoples feelings gb2 leddit if u want all that bullshit and cant handel teh lulz
>>
>>48343649

Not responding to this shit anymore after this post, but go back to /b/ you little twat. If you don't like this thread, don't post in it, there's plenty of other threads to troll out there.

Just report and ignore, everyone. Report and ignore.
>>
>>48343734
You seriously need to loosen you're tinfoil up if that gets you upset. lel
>>
>>48343734
sure is reddit newfag in here kekek hgbox kekekkeke
>>
>love writing music
>hate producing
>always get too frustrated to get anywhere

I'm so tired of this
>>
>>48344169
I hardly even spend any time actually trying to make music anymore, but I wish I did. It's just too frustrating.
>>
>>48344185
Sounds more like a willpower prob then
>>
>>48343947
I used to do that before I started using physical gear; producing in a DAW felt claustrophobic to me and I guess that made me really irritable.
>>
>>48344213
I've thought about doing this but I literally have less than two hundred dollars
>>
>>48344220
I have that same problem also. Plus the pawn shops around where I live are pretty shady.
>>
whenever i get stuck hook up my MPD and map it to a bunch of weird effects and fuck around with samples i'd never use and makes mindless noise collages. i find it really loosens me up.
>>
File: dsm01.png (36 KB, 270x856) Image search: [Google]
dsm01.png
36 KB, 270x856
reminder that DSI just went modular

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/dsm01/index.php
>>
is there a subreddit that talks about synths like the microbrute and microkorg?
>>
>>48345286
Yes, literally r/synthesizers
>>
>>48345286
Go ask Reddit and stay there.
>>
>>48344982

>Eurorack standard

I don't see DSI making any truly competitive modules other than a filter and maybe some sort of hybrid oscillator. If they do, I will buy them.
>>
>>48345318
edgemaster
>>
/guitargeneral/ is too shit to into cool synths

What are some MIDI controlled effect pedals? Or at least, something with MIDI parameters that can accept an instrument signal? Only one I can think of is the Moog MuRF, and (in a way) the EHX 8-Step.
>>
File: tc-electronic-m300-744133[1].png (226 KB, 787x193) Image search: [Google]
tc-electronic-m300-744133[1].png
226 KB, 787x193
>>48345831
I think you're gonna be more successful finding MIDI jacks on effect racks
>>
>>48345950
I figured, but it's worth asking.
Always thought MIDI controlled tremolo or delay would come in handy
>>
>>48345983

Yep, I think that's more of a job for effect racks. The one I pictured above your post is pretty cheap
>>
>>48346038
I'm not keen on TC electronics, but what's it do, how's MIDI work with it?
>>
To all my homies experiencing audio cuts with Omnisphere: Spectrasonics doesn't give a fuck and will try to blame it on your DAW or RAM.

Just real-time export that shit, even if you have to do it layer by layer. It's pretty ridiculous to do it when there's only one instance of it in the project, but it's better than losing nights of sleep over this.

Powerful, yes. Stable? Not a chance in hell.
>>
>>48346087
It only does Tremolo, the timing is synchronized to somebody playing a MIDI keyboard. It is hand built and custom painted in Portland, Oregon
>>
>>48346087
You can tap delay and tremolo times AFAIK. Also using a MIDI sequencer I think.

There are lots of other racks like that out there
>>
>>48341873
Haha keep telling yourself that you faggot. You didn't stamp shit out. I'm fucking busy and have better shit to do than argue with a bunch of retarded 20 year old douchebag kids who have been making music for a year and think they know everything already.
>>
I'm trying to do work with a live drummer and wondering about something
Is there any way to sync a drummer's playing to a synth, via MIDI? obviously I could give him a click track but that hasn't worked as well so far.
>tl;dr-- generate midi clock from real drums??
>>
Don't reply to bait, just report and carry on producing.
>>
>>48341873
>the best

My sides
I think I pissed myself laughing so hard
>>
>retarded 20 year old douchebag kids who have been making music for a year and think they know everything already.
There's an incredible amount of irony to this
>>
I'm pretty sure Joey is bent on proving that he's retarded.
>>
>>48346423
>human musician
>rhythmic perfection all the time

Tell your drummer to git gud or live with the imperfections
>>
The funniest shit is how I simply posted an opinion to a random person asking how to get into making music and a bunch of you shitheads started fucking with me because my opinions differed from yours. Now you whine and cry and play the victims and the good guys when you're clearly the antagonists.
>>
>>48346538
>Now you whine and cry and play the victims and the good guys when you're clearly the antagonists.
Google delusions of grandeur
>>
>>48346478
lol we don't know everything, that's why we come here

>>48346501
Then I guess that's the point, there'd be some speeding up and slowing down-- it'd be cool to have the MIDI clock adjust for that during a performance
>>
File: still messy.jpg (349 KB, 1306x736) Image search: [Google]
still messy.jpg
349 KB, 1306x736
What up yall. Fought with tape machine for an hour. Was pretty gooped up.

I may just take it to a tech to fix it this time. Wish I could find a fostex 8 track on the cheap.
>>
>>48346588
I meant irony as in the person saying it was more applicable to it compared to anyone else.
>>
File: very sad frog.jpg (15 KB, 228x221) Image search: [Google]
very sad frog.jpg
15 KB, 228x221
RIP /bleepproduction/ #1 - #20
>>
>>48346588
You can always tap tempo or something
>>
>>48346656
Why?
>>
>>48345374
I think that's all they're gonna make. DSI is hardly a boutique company
>>
>>48346669
because this is the 23rd edition
>>
>>48346686
I wouldn't say Doepfer is either.
>>
>>48346669
whenever a certain person who's just here to argue posts all the discussion is ever reduced to is bullshit pissing contests and samefagging arguments

>>48346697
I'd say that just due to their roots in modular synths that they are pretty boutique by comparison, and modular synths are definitely more boutique than a company known for making DCO poly synths. I can't see DSI making 'quirky' sequencer modules or cloud generators or things like that, I agree that they're going to just make the 'basics', for lack of a better word
>>
>>48346666
nice quads. Anyone got recs for a good snare trigger?
>>
File: lcxl_elevated_3quart-lr.jpg (141 KB, 800x699) Image search: [Google]
lcxl_elevated_3quart-lr.jpg
141 KB, 800x699
all my want

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=17499

>faders
>knobs
>buttons
>won't cost a fuck ton (i hope)
>>
File: 1398378489655.png (239 KB, 421x433) Image search: [Google]
1398378489655.png
239 KB, 421x433
>>48347112
>midi controllers
>>
>>48347172
but faders
>>
File: fat man punches icy nigger.gif (1 MB, 320x165) Image search: [Google]
fat man punches icy nigger.gif
1 MB, 320x165
>>48347209
>not having a physical mixer
>>
hey el bleepo producto, recommend me some drum synth modules
analog or samples, MIDI in please
>>
>>48347308
boss dr-202 is p. neat; you can modify stuff like decay/cutoff/resonance in real time with the knobs at the top of it. got mine for $50 and never regretted it
>>
>>48347308

used electribe
>>
Feedback on this? How do i make it sound more organic? How should i progress?
http://clyp.it/lcojajai
>>
>>48347390
The er-1's snare sounds like ass, though. It's like whoever designed it didn't have any drum sticks on hand so he just slapped his flaccid cock on a snare and used that as the basis for the synthesized recreation on the electribe.
>>
>>48347523
come to think of it, didn't the korg Volca Beats have a shit snare also?
>>
>>48347551
I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me considering it's essentially a toy.
>>
>>48347308
also voting for >>48347390

also:
Error: You are temporarily blocked from posting for violating Global 11 - Advertising.
This block will expire in 10 minutes. [More Info]

if I get banned then what the fuck, that would be like banning everyone on /g/ who posts about next generation Intel processors or why they like Thinkpads.

also why was >>48344982 deleted? it was a fucking post about a major synth company going into modular synths

step it up janitor
>>
>>48347762
rekt
>>
>>48347523

>1st gen

there are others, anon
>>
>>48341636
pretty jealous of that set up, how does that model d hold up? still in tune most of the time, or does it drift?
>>
>>48347802
The MKII model is literally exactly the same thing just with a different case and effects m8
>>
>>48347551
yes the volca snare sounds more like a retarded tom, but this guy modded it to sound better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6nYy1mtYks&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>48347838
It's drifty in a hot room, and it takes a half hour to get steady, but I hardly turn it off. If it's in a climate controlled room and it's been on for a while, the tuning is rock solid. Has the old VCO board too, which is supposed to sound better but be less stable. I wouldn't know because it's the only model D, I've actually used.
>>
File: my shit.jpg (85 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
my shit.jpg
85 KB, 640x426
>>48347523
you can process the drum sounds inside of the unit, which is kind of the point of it. and the later models have more sounds, though the EMX drums are dated as fuck you can still process them enough to get a modern enough sound. and none of this is a problem if you get a sampling electribe
>>
Hey guys, I'm making a song with just (soft) synths, but they're all mono so the song is kinda missing some space. I've tried simply panning a few of them left or right, but it doesn't really feel nice. Any advice?
>>
>>48348744
Chorus & Reverb
>>
>>48348744
Reverb and rotary effects work well for adding some stereo depth.
>>
File: IMG_0975.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0975.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>48348797
>rotary effects
>effects
>not putting your entire mix through a rotary speaker
>>
I write my drum patterns by the following process
>apply cheap digital distortion to my favorite ambient pieces, usually just some section of The Bottleman or No Pussyfooting
>disgusting clipping, perfect
>grab an interesting chip, usually under 2 seconds
>loop it to see how it sounds alone
>mix/warp each noise into rounded bloops and clicks and build from there, adding other snippets from the same process
>rhythm collage falls into place
>>
>>48349038
well he mentioned using softsynths so i assumed he was doing everything inside a daw
>>
>>48349055
I was making a joke about running an entire mix through a rotary speaker. It would sound terribly retarded.
>>
https://soundcloud.com/janosbarrett/halfsteps
do you guys think this is too noisy or too busy? I was contemplating having three channels running at once but two was already a lot
>>
>>48349193
Needs something bassy
>>
File: BoC2.jpg (30 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
BoC2.jpg
30 KB, 460x276
Good interview with BoC discussing their studio techniques:

http://bocpages.org/wiki/Emotional_Abuse

>“One thing I particularly like to use is amplitude modulation combined with microtuned pitches,” Eoin reveals. “There are a lot of ways to do this — using compressors and filters and pitch modulators — but we do it differently every time. We even resample parts using cheap ghettoblasters or cassette decks with internal microphones. Sometimes, I might employ a series of ring modulators with very slow frequencies and modulate those frequencies with an LFO so that layers of the sound overlap each other randomly. Sometimes, I'll hit a sound with way too much compression — when you get that fine line where it's just kicking in, but it's right on the threshold of the sound so that the compressor ends up spreading what I call ‘powder’ over the part so it sounds like it's crumbling.”

>With so many heavily distorted noises and layers of sound manipulated to create specific effects, it's interesting that Boards of Canada avoids using effects units during the entire process. Instead, BOC prefers to get creative with EQ, monitoring, miking or other techniques. “I know this sounds contradictory, but that's a big part of the thing,” Sandison says. “We try to push it, to see how far we can change sounds without resorting to using effects units at all. For example, we would never just put down a wind instrument clean. We'd usually do something long-winded like laying down six roughly identical takes together onto mono tape so they clash and chorus microtonally over one another, then overload them to hell and back, then sample it off the tape and shift it by an octave or something like that.”
>>
>>48349239
I made it with lsdj so bass is a little hard to get :( I donno how I would add bass in-DAW
>>
>>48349243
That's really neat
>>
Are the MicroBrute and Korg Volca series good babby synths if I just plan on making electronic noise and shitty Detroit techno and Chicago house ripoffs? Also, can synths run through guitar effects pedals without sounding shit? And can I make a diy vocoder by just connecting a mic to a synth, or is that just retarded?
>>
>Are the MicroBrute and Korg Volca series good babby synths if I just plan on making electronic noise and shitty Detroit techno and Chicago house ripoffs?

Yes

>Also, can synths run through guitar effects pedals without sounding shit?

Yes

>or is that just retarded?

>Yes
>>
>>48349305
>Are the MicroBrute and Korg Volca series good babby synths if I just plan on making electronic noise and shitty Detroit techno and Chicago house ripoffs?
Yes. Especially the Volcas.
> Also, can synths run through guitar effects pedals without sounding shit?
Yes, just be careful of your levels on the Brute
>And can I make a diy vocoder by just connecting a mic to a synth, or is that just retarded?
It's just retarded
>>
>>48349243
This is why I respect BoC more than their wannabe sound-alikes.

The amount of time and effort they devote to getting their signature sound is admirable and it's great that it's not just some in the box effect or preset that they just apply over everything they record.
>>
>>48349373
>>48349362
>>48349305
guy from Brainiac used to run his vocals through a Moog synth. Won't sound like a vocoder though
>>
>>48349404
>what synth do I get to sound like Boards of Canada
>>
>>48349457
sh101
>>
>>48349489
I'm guessing you didn't get the joke
>>
>>48349457
this >>48349489
and/or akai s1000
>>
>>48349520
It was not a very good joke
>>
File: Lil B doesn't approve.png (209 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
Lil B doesn't approve.png
209 KB, 480x480
>>48349525
>>
>>48349457
>>48349489

They definitely used an SH-101 on MHTRTC and prior for their monosynth sounds.

I've heard that they use a CS-80 for their poly sounds but I don't know how true that is.

Also apparently they used very little synth at all on Geogaddi, instead using sounds of heavily processed acoustic instruments that they recorded, played via their samplers.
>>
>>48349557
Do you not understand the context of it?
>>
>>48349566
fuck you dude
s1000 is a great sampler
>>
>>48349598
oh I get it
>>
mixing suggestions pls
https://soundcloud.com/robert-jensen-11/smoke-my

also /renoise/ general
>>
>>48349621
Jesus christ you're thick.

Read this >>48349404
then this >>48349457
>>
>>48349652
I 'got' the joke but it's still a legitimate question
>>
>>48349362
>>48349373
Well I don't want to do actual vocoder shit, but rather whatever the fuck Tobacco from BMSR does. Which I guess is actual vocoder shit, but it sounds more like weird autotune than Daft Punk stuff
>>
>>48349912
To vocode, you need a vocoder, it's that simple.

Some synths have built in vocoders.

Standalone vocoders let you plug in what ever synth (or guitar, or drum machine, or whatever) you want to.

Plugging a mic through a synth is just filtering it.
>>
>>48350052
>Standalone vocoders let you plug in what ever synth (or guitar, or drum machine, or whatever) you want to.
Alright, that makes sense now. I was wondering why vocoders I've seen on Amazon and shit were just boxes with no mic attached.
>>
File: Picard shares my suffering.gif (2 MB, 440x330) Image search: [Google]
Picard shares my suffering.gif
2 MB, 440x330
>>48350421
>I was wondering why vocoders I've seen on Amazon and shit were just boxes with no mic attached.

Okay, you need to do some homework.

Vocoders aren't specifically a vocal process. You have a carrier, and a modulator. The carrier is normally a synthesizer, it's sound is broken up by a bank of parallel bandpass filters. The modulator (usually a mic signal) is broken up into the same number of bandpass filters, and each one has it's amplitude measured.

There is then a bank of amplifiers that are controlled by the amplitude of the modulator signal, allowing the respective carrier signals through. The amplifiers go to the same output and are mixed together.

Read this:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul00/articles/synthsec.htm
>>
File: 20140313_153057.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20140313_153057.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Not enough gear wankery
>>
File: DSCF2620_sm.jpg (590 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
DSCF2620_sm.jpg
590 KB, 1024x768
>>48350941
alright here have a picture of my cheap baby-tier setup
>tfw you can't afford a polysynth yet so you have to resort to filtering your cheap general midi keyboard through your cheap monosynth
been working pretty well so far but i really want to make some pads of my own
>>
>>48350743
>Okay, you need to do some homework.
I mean, I didn't give a single shit about making bleeps until like 3 hours ago lol
>>
so I've found that sampling random shit and then looping microscopic bits of it creates some pretty organic tones. (a farfisa from me accidentally dropping my mic)
any other neat sampler tricks?
>>
all u people with ur analog synthesizers and recording interfaces and i'm over here with my midi controller like ;_;
>>
>>48352581
just keep saving money for gear anon

your day will come eventually
>>
>>48352581
At least your midi controller doesn't have blown sound chips.
>>
>>48352581
I was a complete nogear and now I'm waiting on my Monotron and Chinese bootleg interface already thinking of what else I can buy
baby steps, then slippery slope
>>
File: dsm01.png (36 KB, 270x856) Image search: [Google]
dsm01.png
36 KB, 270x856
yes.

>DSM01 Curtis Filter

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/dsm01/index.php
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 209x216) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 209x216
>>48353599
>no
>>
Where can I buy a sine wave generator or audio frequency generator for making drone music
>>
>>48353673
http://casperelectronics.com/finished-pieces/drone-lab/drone-lab-v2/
>>
>>48353673
eBay. They're pretty cheap but shipping is a bitch
>>
>>48353701
They don't sell these anymore I don't think
>>48353720
All I found before were those professional signal generators with the LCD screens showing the wave signal
Could you link one?
>>
>>48353788
Second result for "test oscillator"
http://m.ebay.com/itm/131240731639?nav=SEARCH

I also found this
http://m.ebay.com/itm/231277774145?nav=SEARCH
>>
Are any of you actually good at playing keyboard?
>>
>>48344185
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6BwLmpa3c8

Listen to this, trust me
>>
>>48353968
Yes, why do you you ask? Did you think this was a soundcloud thread, or perhaps a piano proficiency thread?
>>
>>48353934
I was looking more about the size of a foot pedal but that should work
>http://m.ebay.com/itm/231277774145?nav=SEARCH
Spoon collection?
>>
How do I make sure my chiptunes aren't garbage?
>>
>>48354099
Hey, I used to do chip stuff. Need to MIDIfy my C64 sometime!
But what are you worried about?
>>
>>48353998
So I won't have to do any more spoon feeding
>>
>>48354142
I just started with LSDj and I dunno, I guess I just want to make sure that I have enough depth in general and that it actually sounds good and not dull.

My worry is that I just started and to be honest I don't have much of a clear vision for any particular kind of chip stuff I want to make, and I don't want it to be kind of this incoherent mashup of songs with no consistency whatsoever.

I also want to make sure I actually use all the LSDj features because I can use all the basic stuff right now but the command section and waveform modifier are putting me off. But that just boils down to me taking some time and learning how to use it.
>>
>>48354246
Effects are really big in LSDJ, if you learn tables you can make pretty dynamic sounds.
>>
>>48353968
there was a poll like 4 threads ago and like 80% of us knew how to play an instrument at an intermediate level at least
>>
>>48354246
Learn effects/tables for sure. I never could understand LSDj's WAV channel- I just fucked with the parameters until it sounded good, maybe try drawing your own waveforms though..
There are some decent tutorials out there, I remember it all seeming really alien at first but stick with it
>>
>>48354337
That was what was putting me off about it a bit. I'll keep at it, though, obviously this is all important stuff.
>>
>>48354246
>>48354390
you guys done a pro sound mod yet? i work on a gameboy color and dunno how difficult it would be compared to the original GB
>>
>>48354390
The WAV channel is a bit confusing too, but hey. It's like learning Dwarf Fortress again but with practical application.

I'll stick with it. I'll try to make most of the songs somewhat similar but I guess the consistency isn't as important as the songs all sounding good. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>48354434
I'm just using an emulator. I have a Game Boy Pocket so I might end up Pro Sounding that at some point in the future.
>>
>>48354434
I'm pretty sure I've even seen those mods on the pocket
You could just use an 1/8" jack though.
>>
>summer NAMM
>no synths

why do they even
>>
>>48354502
>>48354434
DMG 1 is the superior Gameboy model for LSDJ. I play it off a flash cart that can have problems with other Gameboy models. I don't know what cart you guys run it though but, I would invest in a DMG 1.
>>48354470
>>48354390
Wav channel is kind of like running a single osc synth.
>>
>>48354686
oh yeah, I got that. But the filters and controls seem to have such an unpredictable response, the only thing that consistently works is "VSHIFT UP THE ASS"
>>
What's the name of the white controller? I'm looking for a cheap midi mixer and that looks perfect
>>
>>48354840
Oh shit.

Here's the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNepZURH5I8
>>
>>48354686
i keep meaning to get one, i've only been making songs for fun on the road with it. also been sampling noise stuff with it so far
>>
>>48354840
Looks like a Teenage Engineering OP1. They aren't cheap though.
>>
>>48350941
>tfw no blofeld
>>
>>48356110
>tfw no oberheim matrix 6
>>
bumping for production
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 640x482) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 640x482
I really like these bleep threads. Most production forums end up sucking because of ego shit but obviously anon boards avoid this issue.

Would there be any interest in an entire image board dedicated to production?
>>
>>48358868
i've wanted a music production board (/mp/?) for ages, it'd be neat to see
>>
Do you guys have any free au plugins you would recommend for Dungeon Synth? I just downloaded a nice organ plugin for Logic and I want some other nice sounds to work with. I've been looking for some nice fm synths and orchestral percussion , but I'm having trouble finding anything I like.
>>
where else does /bleep/ go for production discussion if anywhere? as another post just mentioned, most websites are full of egotists and people who just don't have a clue. /bleeproduction/ has actually knowledgeable people which is nice.
>>
How do I synthesize like Jeff Mills? I wonder what kind of hardware he uses for those beautiful arpeggios
>>
>>48359077
Gearslutz isn't terrible. There are still some big egos and brand fanboys. It sure as hell beats most other gear/production forums though, as there are actually informative/interesting posts and threads.
>>
sup /bleeproduction/ newfag to hardware what would I need to record cassettes or vinyl into ableton live
>>
>>48359789
bumping fo dat
>>
>>48359789
>what is a tapedeck with an audio out and a computer with a fucking headphone jack
>>
>>48360420
thats all I would need? where does the recording get recorded too
>>
>>48346616
Show us those Game Boy tunes.
>>
>>48360508
your computer you dunce
>>
>>48360631
so I could buy this https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/ele/4549914874.html
and then have to buy this http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Mini-Plug-Computer-Stereo/dp/B000LMFS7M
and I would get audio from the cassette thingy to the computer?
>>
>>48360978
Yeah it would. It would also sound really fucking bad.

Look into getting a decent audio interface and a decent tape deck.
>>
>>48360978
yes
you should have an external audio input somewhere on your computer and from there it would just be a matter of plugging the dick into the hole and pressing record
>>
>>48361012
what brand of tapedeck is decent
>audio interface
im working on getting a scarlett 2i4
>>
>>48360978
>>48361040
also you should seriously be able to get a cassette walkman at your local goodwill for $5 and it would be almost as good as that tapedeck

still no matter what most cassettes were created no later than 1998 and odds are will give you shit sound quality no matter what
>>
>>48361048
Nakamichi, Tascam, Fostex, Pioneer.

Look for a three head but there are some good two head decks. Go to some tapehead website and browse around until you find something in your price range.
>>
What is a realistic (or close to it) guitar VST? Please help
>>
>>48361066
it would probably just be cheaper/easier to buy a guitar
>>
>>48361082
I'm looking for a DAW plug in
>>
>>48361064
fuck all of these are expensive
>>
>>48361064
>>48361055
also I wanted an all in one kinda thing with the turntable and tape deck
>>
>>48361112
odds are it'll just be easier to just record yourself playing then add effects, but I could be wrong

just never had any good experiences with synthesized guitar

>>48361130
if you want a cheap, clean sound then you shouldn't be touching tapes in the first place

if you want a lo-fi(ish) 'retro' sound then an RCA-1/8 should do fine if you mess with the EQ in Ableton. You won't get cd-rip quality but it's far from unlistenable trash.
>>
>>48361154
Then you are going to get a shitty turntable and tape deck.

At least you saved a tiny bit of space right?
>>
>>48361156
>it'll just be easier to just record yourself playing
Well, I don't have a guitar and can barely play, plus I was thinking of pirating the software anyways

How can you plug a guitar into the computer anyways?
>>
>>48361154
maybe a behringer 5-channel (2 stereo) mixer
they go for like $50 new

unless you're talking about a combo-turntable/tapedeck soundsystem
in which case go take a timeout and think about what you really want to accomplish here
>>
>>48361185
1/4" to 1/8" cable

and I guess for a close-to-realistic VST it depends on what style and how realistic you want it
>>
>>48361156
>RCA-1/8
your just talking about the cables?
>>
>>48361268
yup
>>
>>48361272
so buy the rca's
and this
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/ele/4549914874.html
and i'm good?
>>
>>48361242
>1/4" to 1/8" cable
Alright, and I guess the quality of the guitar wouldn't matter in this case right?

>and I guess for a close-to-realistic VST it depends on what style and how realistic you want it
Well I was thinking of mainly Jazz, Punk, Metal and Funk (or at least half of these). I also was assuming if this software exists it would have a Bass guitar in it.

I do have NI Guitar Rig but I don't know exactly yet what to use as a base instrument but my main concern is how (un)realistic it may sound.
>>
>>48361304
>Alright, and I guess the quality of the guitar wouldn't matter in this case right?

not that guy, but the quality of the guitar is accounted for, just not the quality of whatever amp that you're taking out of the picture.
>>
>>48361171
hey hey don't get snippy with me
>>
STILL GOING STRONG
>>
Holy crap this thread is still around today? sweet lol
>>
>>48358868
We asked for one already when /q/ was still a thing. I started a thread there that got a good response and lasted for quite a while, and even proposed that having such a board would improve /mu/'s quality because it'd move the many SoundCloud threads to one general too, but mods didn't listen.
>>
>>48358868
>>48358956
420chan has one but it's not exactly busy.
>>48359077
>>48359328
Gearslutz is terrible, like old school Eternal September terrible.

This is a long while ago but-
>>48354099
Honestly if you can't into trackers, just don't use them. Cop a mk1 monomachine and get to work, best all in one chip box ever made. SammichSID is good too. Really any synth can sound chip you just have to pare it down to simple waveforms and be mindful of the limitations of the platform you're working to emulate. ESQ1, memefeld, hell an MPC1k with the AKWF pack all make great chiptune synths. Take any and all cries of 'fakebit' and screw.
>>
File: ctPtCsC[1].png (1 MB, 1269x702) Image search: [Google]
ctPtCsC[1].png
1 MB, 1269x702
>>48362781
>420chan has one but it's not exactly busy.
Checking it out for the first time, it definitely looks more friendly than most of the threads on this board, although less busy

OTOH 420chan doesn't have /bleeproduction/
>>
Is anyone else sick to fuck of software?
>>
>>48362904
How so?

I don't use software but I had a bit of fun with Synth1
>>
>>48362904
Why?
>>
>>48362904
nah but I am looking forward to getting into analog gear soon
>>
>>48362877
oh they're definitely chill, copious amounts of drugs will do that. I stopped being a regular there during the big UI changeup but it's a great chan.
>>48362904
Software's great but I work on a computer all day so when I get home I prefer hardware. Let's all make bleeps in the manner of our choosing <3
>>
don't die
>>
Some guy wanted to share his Memefeld Clav patch here, where did he go?
>>
>>48362904
I am. I don't like using it.

The sound is the nearly same though so really it's just a gear nerd obsession, only high end digital hardware (virus) and high end analog stuff really give you the big difference in sound, and even then, debatable how big of a difference.
>>
Here's a discussion topic for all of you:

Does it serve a musician to try to adapt their style to a scene or is it better to make your own thing and wait for an audience to develop.

There isn't a concrete answer but it seems like a good basis for discussion. I mean this is about dance music, so really often an artist is forced to adhere to a slew of limitations to get a real chance at building at audience.

That's my opinions really
>>
>>48364615
>Does it serve a musician to try to adapt their style to a scene or is it better to make your own thing and wait for an audience to develop.

The former is a better short-term solution for your career/popularity, but the latter is so much more better and rewarding in the long term

I'd go for the latter
>>
>>48364645
It's soul crushing in a way to just "do your own thing" but maybe that's what art is about?

music is hard guys
>>
>>48364615
try and reinvent the wheel of course that always works out well. Don't even bother supporting any scenes, they're all just full of circle-jerking faggots and your taste is obviously superior so there's no reason to even associate with anyone.

be sure upload everything to soundcloud and spam your links on /mu/ under a tripcode every chance you get, and sooner or later your genius will be recognized and appreciated
>>
>>48358868
yes, would be into a production based image board.
>>
File: j1[1].jpg (25 KB, 475x356) Image search: [Google]
j1[1].jpg
25 KB, 475x356
>>48364688

It would be soul crushing for me to not do my own thing.

Art is sufferan
>>
>>48364691
Doing your own thing =/= Re-inventing the wheel you in-absolutes-dealing dumdum
>>
>>48364691
i'd rather hear something completely left field and weird than some boring rehashing of a familiar sound or formula.

ps i'm writing this as i poop.
>>
>>48364615
>Does it serve a musician to try to adapt their style to a scene or is it better to make your own thing and wait for an audience to develop.
It's a choice between money or "integrity". Nothing prevents you from doing your own thing after you have cash, so starving musicians have no excuse.
>>
>>48364615
but why would you wanna be self aware of anything you do, especially what doesn't come naturally. If we just allow things to flow and practice it, eventually you will find "your thing" although it might fall into a category which is alright too
>>
File: image.jpg (577 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
577 KB, 1536x2048
For those who get tired of sitting in front of a computer to make noise, I'd like to suggest getting an iPad.

There are a ridiculous amount of awesome music apps for iPads, including synths, effects, sequencers, and DAWs. You've got apps from big time hot shit companies like Korg and Steinberg, but a bunch of the indie devs are releasing high quality stuff.

It's not too difficult to take whatever you sketch out with an iPad and dump it into your main setup, either. Lots of audio interfaces work with iPads.

I wish I could say Android users had an equally awesome selection but Google ignored the terrible latency problem for years (among other things) and Apple has eaten their lunch as a result. iOS isn't 100% perfect for audio but it blows Android out of the water.

Pic related. Korg Gadget, a ridiculously good Reason-like composition app.
>>
>>48364785
>why would you wanna be self aware of anything you do, especially what doesn't come naturally
no well-structured music comes naturally, though
>>
>>48364975
Android has Caustic. I like it a lot more since I found out I can use an external QWERTY keyboard for no-latency performance with samples/soundfonts.
>>
>>48364975
agreed. i have a bunch of random synth and drum pad apps, but sequencers are my favorite. i can't tell you how many hours have spent just zoned out fucking with Nanoloop.
>>
bump for meaningful discussions while poopin
>>
>>48365604
how do you guys feel about live performaces? Can they be done well? Any good ones? \

I'm talking hardware sets
>>
>>48365646
Usually they bore me to no end. I'd much rather stay a bedroom producer.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.