[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bleeproduction/ #21 - Baller Synth Composers Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 211
Thread images: 22
File: ems_cs80[1].jpg (171 KB, 649x460) Image search: [Google]
ems_cs80[1].jpg
171 KB, 649x460
>When Vangelis got his first great analogue synthesiser he realised it could produce sounds at frequencies below human audible levels, with its sliding pitch ribbon controller. Such sub-sonic audio levels often stretched the limits of the mixing console. Initially the cones of the Tannoy HPD monitors got damaged and had to be replaced a number of times.
>>
Vangelis is that motherfucker. So many good records.
>>
>>48310380
Which synth he got?
>>
>>48310480
All of them
>>
How do I do this synth effect?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoSD22Tc_64
>>
>>48310902
Which one? That song is basically all synths. If you're asking about the main sound heard through, that's an arpeggio (a chord played note by note).
>>
What's the best VST when it comes to brass and wind instruments?
>>
>>48310480
He's basically the guy who made the CS-80 cool.
>>
File: image.jpg (135 KB, 609x722) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135 KB, 609x722
>>
microkorg or microbrute? they both seem like cool devices
>>
Studio 440 or SP1200?
>>
>>48311802
microbrute by miles. microkorgs are famous for being shit
>>
>>48311300
please tell me this exists somewhere
>>
https://soundcloud.com/j33zuz/somethingshappen/s-fJ4KJ

https://soundcloud.com/j33zuz/150tech/s-8QxXx

Any advice on these two songs would be greatly appreciated. Mainly just tell me if theyre good production and composition.

Feed for feed, and no I won't post in a SC thread among the myriad of pseudo-intellectual noise/ambient/v4p0rw4v3
>>
>>48311190
I am interested in this as well, I want to try my hand at jazz but I am struggling to find good sax and trumpets and a nice flute would be great as well.
>>
>>48314027
Kontakt and a good sample library.
>>
>>48314066
Any examples, I've tried some of 8dio stuff but I am not yet convinced.
>>
>>48314103
http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=kontaktplayer2&cat=9
>>
File: 3.jpg (38 KB, 194x285) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
38 KB, 194x285
>>48314119
Now I feel retarded, thanks.
>>
>>48314145
Glad I could help lol
>>
>>48314027
saxes are so hard to emulate. I did a soundtrack recently and went through so many libraries of sax that I could try to pirate or get for free since I have to money. Eventually the most decent sound I found was off my old GR-20 guitar synth, worked out okay
>>
>>48315097
Can you show off what you made with it?
>>
>>48315472
https://soundcloud.com/effoharkay/song-a#t=0:21

there's horns in there too, but the horns are easy to shun since sax is supposed to have a lot more character.
>>
>>48315571
Fantastic, thanks.
>>
File: I_cant_wait.jpg (67 KB, 576x576) Image search: [Google]
I_cant_wait.jpg
67 KB, 576x576
>>48311802

STOP REMINDING ME THAT I ORDERED MY MICROBRUTE BUT IT STILL WON'T ARRIVE UNTIL TOMORROW!!!

asdf;ljkasdg;oiijasdg;liasdjasdfh;lkjahdf;joiaehoj
>>
>>48315571

Still sounds like muzak, lol. But like, REALLY muzak.

Like, if muzak was what you were trying to emulate, you pulled it off perfectly.
>>
>>48313615

Don't diss the soundcloud threads when you post these pieces of shit.
>>
>>48315571
How did you do the drums? Just samples?
>>
>>48316528
Thanks, I wanted to do nightclub jazz, but still upbeat/nighttime/running kinda thing. Muzak falls into that realm too i think

>>48316597
The drums are half audio samples, half mifi. the drums are internal instruments, all cymbals/hats/crashes are audio samples. I automated down all the parts where the ride wouldn't have realistically been played.
>>
>>48316597
>>48316720

idk, i still think the best drum samples always inevitably come from getting a decent mic, an audio interface, and whacking some shit together in real life, the processing it.
>>
>>48316756
You're right, but it's very easy to have some bad drum samples if you aren't meticulous about mic placement sometimes. the room you're in also has a big effect. there's a lot of learning that needs to take place before you can get something really good
>>
>>48316756
Why would this be true though? Plenty of very well recorded drum samples available.
>>
>>48316581
Ok I said feed for feed. Can you post your own work so I can critique it? :)
>>
>>48316906
No because I get the feeling you'll return the favor and shit on it regardless of it's quality :)

But since I have those sorts of balls, okay:
https://soundcloud.com/non-repeating-decimal/tractor-beam
https://soundcloud.com/non-repeating-decimal/thunderstorm
>Electronic stuff

https://soundcloud.com/non-repeating-decimal/a-case-of-the-mondays-2
https://soundcloud.com/non-repeating-decimal/daddy-long-legs-lament
>Acoustic Guitar solo stuff

Take your pick.

Also the main gripe I have with your stuff is it sounds very flat and preset-y, Like you just took a bunch of drum sample packs and threw that shit on the grid without much effort in the mastering department. The aggressive nature is nice, though. If you worked on really polishing it and created some better sounding synths, I think it could turn out well. Make better use of velocity and dynamics, it helps a ton trust me. If you could work with a pad controller live (I use a padkontrol myself) for the drums instead of just quantizing everything, I find it adds a human element that sounds a lot better, even if you're doing something like straight 8th or 16th notes on the hi-hats, if you do that by playing it yourself and having different velocities it will likely end up sounding better.

And of course, this all comes with the stipulation of "unless you were going for that", like with anything. Some people make stuff sound like that on purpose, so if you like it and have an audience for it, I really can judge, I can only speak from my perspective.

If I'm posting my stuff I don't want to sound like a total prick, so might as well be constructive now ;)
>>
>>48316789

i haven't found the mic placement thing to be a problem. soundproofing can help, but isn't necessarily required. getting a good, or at least decent mic and audio interface (i use a 2i2 and sm58) is probably the most important part, but i've gotten interesting, albeit more lo-fi stuff with the built-in mic on my ipod 4g.

as long as it's an interesting/cool sound, and you know how to eq/compress/fx/transpose it properly, it's hard to go wrong. gotta trust your own ears though, to find sounds you like
>>
>>48310380
larry fast's synergy is fucking incredible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJgPdzasH18
as is anything wendy carlos has ever done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YABw-ksikLA
>>
>>48317585
I'll be honest with you, I hate your music. Not because there's anything wrong with it but because I personally can't stand the " maximalist layer a billion bass sounds on Massive" especially on beatz. Not saying it's bad but I can't seriously comment on it because I couldn't hate either of those styles more.

Similarly I was in fact going for everything you described as wrong in my music. I have owned a maschine and I could finger drum well,, but I ultimately didn't like it because it sounded too human. I own several hardware sequencers for the sole purposing achieving that quantized nonhuman sound. Also I made all those patches from scratch, maybe my taste is flat and presety. I am a fan of OPN for this reason.

Overall I won't return the favor of calling it garbage. It sounds good because I know what you're going for, I don't like it when anyone does it though.

Maybe next time you shitpost you'll realize that you're shitting on someone else's art for the sake of being a real douchenozzle.. What does that get you anyways? Were all people here.

Besides I didn't even mean that SC threads are bad I just thought you guys are better qualified listeners of dance music . Thanks for proving me wrong. I'm pretty happy you don't like my music,, maybe my music just doesn't appeal to edgy pieces of shit.
>>
>>48318433

Fair enough, on all accounts. I apologize for being a dick originally, and again there's always subjectivity involved in these things and like I said, could have been what you were going for which would make my advice pretty much moot, and I even understand that you would think you could get more constructive/professional advice here (I know a lot of people just drop their SC link in those threads and don't give feedback).

I just don't like the meme floating around that SC threads are only full of amateur dubstep kids with vengeance packs or "pseudo-intellectual noise/ambient/v4p0rw4v3". It pisses me off since while there certainly are those sorts of people, it's a harsh generalization and I know several other artists there who are very talented, professional-sounding, and put a lot of hard work into what they do. That's all.
>>
>>48318783

Oh, and the only synth I've used thus far is the Eden synth in NanoStudio, btw =P

What did you think of my guitar work though, at least?
>>
>>48318803
It sounds good for nanostudio I will say that. I legitimately thought it was Massive.

Your guitar stuff won't load I don't know why. But my opinion wouldn't be worth anything anyways because I don't listen to that stuff ever.
>>
>>48319113

Fair enough, good to hear. Sucks the guitar stuff won't load, don't know why, you could maybe try going to just my basic front page and looking for them there maybe?

Glad we could have this overall polite conversation on an otherwise troll-filled board :)

Still can't wait to get my Microbrute and see what all the fuss is about with analog VCO synths (even though it's an admittedly cheap entry into hardware).
>>
File: 1405540416093.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
1405540416093.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>48319206
Heh well I have a micro brute.. I like it a lot and it actually suits the style you want very well.

Here's a pic of my set up. Ask me anything about the brute you wanna know. In my opinions the bass isn't good on it so more for your leads and such.
>>
>>48319285
microbrute bass is peng
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 256x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 256x250
>>48319481
>>
>>48319481
>>48319597
So I looked up peng and I found both sexy and ugly as synonyms.

I don't know if you agree or disagree...
>>
>>48319659
The only place I know Peng is from Dead Space. Pretty sure he's speaking bongistani
>>
>>48319285

>owning a piece of Elektron gear

aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh you sonuvabitch, wish I could afford that shit! the rytm in particular would be my dream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eov9iFyEGc0&hd=1

What's wrong with using it as bass? I'm sure I probably won't just use it as a dry signal but will put fx and eq on it, the usual production work. I'm also interested in both creating multiple long single-note samples which I can layer into one, and use in the Eden synth in place of the waveforms, turning it into a 16 voice polyphonic. I'm also interested in running it through a bass amp with spring reverb and recording that through my SM58. Experimenting in sampling it in general, basically.

Above all else I'm mostly looking for an analog sound source. Leads are fine too, and even quirky sound effects, but I figure with the sub oscillator and the right mix of saturation from the brute factor (not turning it to 11 mind you, but using subtle amounts of the waveforms and brute factor to fatten up the signal without basically bitcrushing it). I won't know until I get my hands on it and can experiment, though. I think a lot of people have problems with it because they turn shit up too high and don't understand that they're overdriving the filter that way.
>>
>>48319897
>I think a lot of people have problems with it because they turn shit up too high and don't understand that they're overdriving the filter that way.
Holy fuck this so much. I wish people could understand that 10 does not mean unity. Yves wanted red marks to show where it would overdrive, but Arturia said it would cost too much money for another color.
>>
File: main_ui.png (52 KB, 1422x911) Image search: [Google]
main_ui.png
52 KB, 1422x911
Damn, Renoise 3 is looking fine as hell. I might actually get it next month.
>>
>>48319897
Yeah I love Elektron. My set up used to be much more complicated. I had an Octatrack, Blofeld, Electribe S MKII, Big Sky and a few other pedals.

Got tired of all that and sold that plus my laptop to fund the Analog Keys and I couldn't be happier. Im never getting more gear,, I love the simplicity of it.

You can get good bass in very extremely specific ranges of parameters and ANY brute factor kills it.

I guess it isn't so much that it isn't good bass just that literally any vst can produce better ones.

By bass I mean sounds with sub frequencies, not like mid bass. Mid bass it's fantastic for.

Also as a sample source it's be amazing.
>>
I was wondering if anyone can offer me some insight on this mixing issue I'm having.

I recorded a bunch of instruments through a Tascam mk144 and now that I'm coming back to mix all my tracks that I recorded through it, I'm finding it really hard. in particular I have a vocal track and a guitar track and I keep wanting to push them within the same audible range when I EQ them and then it makes things muddy.

so my question is: did my shitty interface give me a limited amount of space to work with? am I fucked with all these tracks?
>>
>>48320386
Try side chaining the guitar to the vocals slightly?
>>
>>48320461
I might give this a shot, but wouldn't that just lower the vocals whenever the guitar plays? they are in syncopation to one another, so I think that would be a problem.
>>
>>48320642
The other way around.
Make the guitar lower for the vocals.

Don't make it too extreme either, make it subtle and I doubt it'll ruin your composition.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Meme synth bring great fortune.
>>
>>48320816
fuck
>>
>>48320816
why you gotta make me so jelly

where are the prostitutes
>>
>>48320923
>>48320902
To be fair, I wasn't expecting cash, just sold a boat and was expecting a cashier's check.

>>48320923
Pimping ain't easy.
>>
>>48320959
send me an oberheim matrix 6
>>
File: image.jpg (114 KB, 750x296) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114 KB, 750x296
>>48321033
I'll send you a picture of a Matrix 6
>>
>>48320816
Don't lie,, the bullhorn is the real cash cow.
>>
>>48321090
At this point, the bull horn brings me more happiness. The cash is just paper.
>>
>>48321142
Cocaine coupons am I right?
>>
>>48321169
Coincidentally, the first thing I thought of when I saw the cash in that quantity was cocaine.
>>
>>48321191
No I know the feel. I just did my last bump 10 minutes ago from a purchase after making $2000 in one day. It's like " that's a lot of skiing"
>>
>>48320083

Yeah, I heard that too. I don't think it matters since as long as you do your research, it isn't hard to figure it out (the sonicstate review, which is pretty popular, specifically talks about it). As you can probably tell, I've seen a majority of the youtube videos, demos, and jams, listened to all of the greatsynthesizers.com demos, and read up extensively on what everything in it does.

Think I'm gonna get a red sharpie and draw it in myself ;).

>>48320090

Yeah, dat price though :(. I've seen all of MrDataline's stuff, so I definitely know how powerful their products are, though.

I'll keep that in mind with the brute factor (I'm sure I'll hear it first hand when I experiment with it). If it's at least good for mid bass, then I'm cool with that. I'm mostly curious how it sounds in real life compared to VST's, whether or not it sounds richer/fatter/creamier/warmer and other associated buzzwords. This is my first analog synth.

I may just skip getting a nicer 2 oscillator mono like an MS20-Mini or Pulse 2 and save up for the Rytm, what do you think? They're so expensive, but I just want to get 1 box that can create entire songs on it's own, so I like that it has 8 voices, and as you can see in the dataline videos, it can do much more than simple drum machine sounds and patterns.

If you sold all that for the keys then that means a lot I'd say. I, too, like to be minimalist with gear and would rather get a single workhorse than a bunch of stuff that I rarely use. Being able to use it live is a big plus as well, if the opportunity ever arises.

So, this may not be fair to ask since you haven't owned it, but do you think the Rytm would be comparable to the Keys in terms of one piece of equipment that can do everything you'd need?
>>
>>48321271
What's your business, if you don't mind me asking.
>>
>>48321169
>>48321191
>>48321271
I thought "yeah that's about 20 min worth of music scoring right there"
>>
File: where_are_the_prostitutes.jpg (853 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
where_are_the_prostitutes.jpg
853 KB, 1920x1080
>>48320816

Thanks for the new wallpaper ;)
>>
>>48321630
>that image stretching
>>
>>48321630
This is weird seeing my 4 seasons room on somebody's desktop.

>>48321647
I prefer to center desktop pics that don't fit. That way all of my icons are easier to see against the black background.
>>
>>48321647

luv u 2 bb :^)
>>
File: where_are_the_prostitutes2.jpg (601 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
where_are_the_prostitutes2.jpg
601 KB, 1920x1080
>>48321647

Better?
>>
>>48321803
Yeah, but now you can't see the Minimoog in its full glory. What have I created...
>>
File: where_are_the_prostitutes3.jpg (713 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
where_are_the_prostitutes3.jpg
713 KB, 1920x1080
>>48321856

Better??
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>48321948
>>
>>48321948
Minimoog/boatpimp guy here
That's how I'd do it.
>>
File: blessed.jpg (148 KB, 425x287) Image search: [Google]
blessed.jpg
148 KB, 425x287
>>48321996

I have received his blessing, and been touched by his moogly appendage...
>>
>>48321996
How fulfilling is it to be an owner of THE Minimoog?
>>
File: JL.jpg (22 KB, 244x320) Image search: [Google]
JL.jpg
22 KB, 244x320
>>48322098
Pretty alright I guess. There's a lot more of them out there. Nothing sounds quite like it. Definitely not the Voyagers, but great instruments in their own rights.
>>48322058
I'm not sure what to make of this.
>>
File: still messy.jpg (349 KB, 1306x736) Image search: [Google]
still messy.jpg
349 KB, 1306x736
What up thread.

buying a couch for down here soon. Gonna run comfy sequences all day erry day.

If my tape machine was working life would be perfect.
>>
>>48322405

Take a new picture at least ffs

Or post some new music you've made with it.
>>
>>48321386
I don't have a business really. I actually work for my girlfriends parents at their psychology clinic and they hooked it up with a job to set up network for another clinic and it was fairly complicated. $2000 was kinda low as I'm told by my brother who works IT but $2000 is more money than I've ever held in my hands at once.

>>48321379
I have not used rytm but yeah I think itd be at least as good. Granted its more limited in the osc by design but it has 8 oscillators plus samples versus 4 on the AK. But literally every sound from those tracks were coming out of the AK at once except for midbass.

I extremely appreciate the live features on the AK and I imagine that AR is at least as capable. Honestly individual outs are a godsend when mixing live.

Like I said earlier I am no longer a big fan of pads so I did prefer the keyboard.

Honestly I can only say good things about Elektron.. I used a G4 MAC MINI for three months to get Elektron gear after selling my laptop. I suffered for that shit. I love elektron.
>>
>>48322597
Picture is like a week old and I dont really have anything but small snippets and ideas on my soundcloud.

I'd rather not shit up the place by posting something incomplete.
>>
>>48322772
I challenge you to do two things before summer is over. Fix that tape machine, and finish a single track.
>>
>>48322827
Sounds like a nice goal to shoot for. Thanks for the challenge anon.

Guess I'll pick up a bottle of deoxit and some hex wrenches tomorrow after I get back from ikea.
>>
>>48322907
>living near an ikea
You lucky bastard, get some meatballs and some rasts while you're there.
>>
>>48322959
Well it is a three hour drive. And you fucking bet I'm gonna get some meatballs.
>>
>>48322993
Oh shit, are you going to bloomington? That's like 15 minutes from where I work.
>>
>>48323051
Nah, going to one in Illinois.

I've been to the bloomington one though. I used to live in Chanhassen.
>>
>>48310902

It's probably some kind of chiptune VST....like NES sounds or something
>>
/bleepgeneral/ should do a 2-3 song challenge or something. Songs we make especially for the challenge, and we crit each other, so that way none of us are put on the spot when some joe comes in with his soundcloud and expects a bunch of comments.
>>
>>48323086
Shit. Well I might have to the one in bloomington this week anyways. I want some rasts as they fit rack gear perfectly.
>>
>>48323119
Only rast I'm seeing is a three drawer thing. I dont know if we're talking about the same thing. I should measure all my stuff before I go and just browse around though.

>>48323116
Well the main reason that I am a bit put off by posting anything I make is because I do a lot of ambient soundscapey stuff or instrumental beats and people seem to hate that shit in soundcloud threads and here.

I've been working on a lot of deep house-ish type stuff but I need to really work on my recording and mixing before I can get that up to where I want it to be.
>>
>>48323249
I'm not very good at mixing too, so i'd look at it like more of a learning process. like asking each other how we did this or that
>>
>>48323249
It's the Rast Nightstand. Google Rast Rack to see examples of it.
>>
>>48323116
That's a nice idea, what should be the challenge themes though??
>>
>>48320386

Did you pan the guitars left and right with vocals central ?
>>
File: rack.jpg (630 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
rack.jpg
630 KB, 2048x1536
>>48323334
Oh fuck that is perfect. I'll take eight. Only rack gear I have right now is my midiverb 2 but eventually I'd like a patch bay, midi patch bay and a few synth modules like an ex-8000 and a tx802.

>>48323312
Well I need to stop using this as an excuse but thats what I loved my reel to reel for. I used to use it to put things through before I track them to give them a nice amount of saturation or to round them out a bit. The ESQ-1 through it took a lot of the edge off with the right EQ.

I've never had a decent interface though so I barely ever recorded anything. Just did live jams and sometimes recorded snippets but I usually ended up just deleting them after a while.

I do love this idea of these challenges though. I'd like to actually put together something to completion.

>>48323343
Maybe it could be certain themes like chord progressions or putting together samples to build around. Or make a track that would be good atmosphere for a certain situation or something.

I saw a while ago someone described someones work as 'a zombie rave' and I wanted so bad to try my hand at that.
>>
>>48323116

I'm down for this.

Some suggestions for ideas:
-Someone makes one part for a song (like 3-5 minutes of drums, or bassline, or lead, or chords, etc), puts it up for everyone to download (on soundcloud, or some other location? idk), and you have to make a song by filling in the other parts and mastering the final product.
-Pick something everyone can get to easily, like a single youtube video. Use youtubetomp3 or something to convert it into a sound file, and everyone makes a song using only samples from that song (synths are fine but only if they replace the waveform with a sample).
-Come up with a short idea or story or feeling. Everyone comes up with a song based on it (so say, everyone make a song that sounds like a scene where a mother is holding the hand of her son in a hospital bed after being hit by a car, it's raining out and nighttime).

Also is putting your soundcloud as your name instead of using a tripcode considered the proper non-fag way of doing things around these parts? Or is any kind of divergence from anonymity generally frowned upon?
>>
>>48323343
I dunno, maybe there shouldn't be any themes, but just specifications like the whole collection of songs can't be more than 10 minutes.

whenever I do one hour compos there's usually a theme but it always just seem arbitrary. It'd be nice to see the diversity of the music people make here, or the ones who are devoted to make a few songs for scratch from a challenge.

>>48323509
We could just set a date for start to finish, put up like a pastebin with "rules" and see how many people finish. informal as fuck
>>
>>48323552
One guy just does it to shill his soundcloud without being annoying about it. There's no rules about tripping or namefagging, just don't act like a jackass.
>>
>>48323552

I'd also say make it either 1 day (or 24 hour) challenges or 1 week challenges, to keep it simple
>>
>>48323611

k, I'll stay anonymous for the most part then. if someone wants to hear my stuff or the challenges things go through, i can still just put the link in the post instead of as my name.
>>
>>48323552
I like the 2nd idea a lot, I dunno if this general is ready for collaboration though. or at least productive collab, but It would still be cool if someone tried it.

I was thinking a 1 week challenge for 2-3 songs would be perfect. like a crash course kinda thing. one song more for 24 hours. maybe we should start with that one first.

I think being anonymous is okay, but posting soundcloud names would be good, especially for crit, questions etc.
>>
>>48323570

from scratch sounds better. we have soundcloud threads for hearing people's general artistic output, we don't need that here.

short challenges would show off are real skills and what we can pull off in a short period of time, and thus be a better and more honest representation of ability worthy of critique.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNuV4dMsGrg
>tfw no PS-3300 connected to Polymoog with magic
>>
>>48323907
I fucking love that song
>>
>>48323907
looks like some prime Tim & Eric material
>>
>>48323997
WE'RE ALL RIDING IN OUR MINIVAN

WE'RE ALL RIDING IN OUR MINIVAN
>>
>>48323116
I wanna take that, but I have a lot of work to do for the following weeks. Make this a recurring thing, guys.
>>
>>48324063

exactly.
>>
>>48319659
>>48319697

Peng! is a Stereolab album.
>>
>>48324063
ELECTRIC WINDOWS
ELECTRIC DOORS
>>
>>48324773
FOUR OR FIVE PEOPLE SITTING COMFORTABLY
>>
>>48324934
I love /bleeproduction/ so much
it's like I actually have friends
>>
important poll for song writing challenge that may happen in the very near future

http://strawpoll.me/2131079
>>
File: great_job.jpg (22 KB, 989x149) Image search: [Google]
great_job.jpg
22 KB, 989x149
>>48324063
>>48324773
>>48324934

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SAFC4_KbW0

Sorry guys.

>>48325007

It's better than friends.

I can't jerk off to porn while discussing analog synths with my friends in real life.
>>
>>48325007
>inb4 joey mainframe starts posting again
>>
>>48325179

stfu dude, don't say his name.

he's like the devil: speak his name and he shall appear
>>
>>48323907
MAH FUCKIN NIGGAH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQoFr_maGwU
>>
>>48321449
underrated post
>>
I only just starting coming here and Jesus Christ you guys are what /mu/ should be. This is glorious.
>>
>>48325546
This is a strangely good day. Plus a few of us know each other already, we just have no idea who is talking to who sometimes.

I also think Joey getting his shit rocked kind of made people realize what not to be.
>>
>>48325617
joey samefaged soo hard yesterday it was cringeworthy

he should be to embarrassed to post here again
>>
>>48325617
Not that guy but I just cannot bring myself to ever trip.
>>
>>48325673
I think he'll lurk around a bit. Probably won't use that name anymore. Expect him to come back.

>>48325694
I've thought about it, mostly because I've been posting in these kinds of threads for a solid 2 years. But honestly, I don't care about my rep on this board, I frequent other forums just as much.
>>
Feels like this thread is dying, idk what to post about...

Maybe we should continue discussing that 1-3 day song challenge/production technique critique plan?
>>
>>48326341
Let's not put a limit on anything other than that the song shouldn't exceed 10 minutes, and basic shit like the mix should be standard 2.0 stereo, no sub channel, no extra channels, no mono. As we get into it, we can add rules for each week like limiting to a genre, avoiding synthesizers, use of alternative time signatures, different genres, etc.

But for now, lets keep it open as possible to set the tone of things.
>>
>>48326462

So what's the current challenge then? Just make a 2.0 stereo <10 min track in... a day? a week? Then post it here?
>>
>>48318433
Speaking of maximalism: what do you guys think of a minimal drum and bass set up? Not like the genre, but like literally just a drum track and one bassline that changes rhythm and timbre over the course of the song, and that's it?

I was thinking that more is better, but this post got me curious.
>>
>>48326341
>>48326462
>>48326508

only 6 people have voted on the strawpoll so far, I was gonna wait until there was a new thread to post it in the OP or the first couple of posts. but so far one song in 48 hours is looking good.

as far as rules if we are to do one song, I think the limit should be 5 minutes, although It's not a huge deal. the main point is to make as good and as fleshed out a song as you can.

I think it might be a good idea to talk about the cool little things you did to mix it, that way we can learn from each other, like "I have three layers of kick drum" or "I put a low pass filter on this synth at X hz" or just your work flow, etc.

As for posting, my first thought is to make a SC group just for these things if we keep doing it. but then people want to remain anon too, so there's that issue. But if people are willing to give good criticism on here that'd be cool too.
>>
>>48326631
Totally missed the strawpoll, just voted now. I agree with the 48 hours per song one. Probably 5-7 minutes I'd say, just 'cause some people might do more ambient stuff, more stretched out music.

Soundcloud seems like the way to go, but of course there is an upload limit on it so maybe Bandcamp would be better since I'm pretty sure there's no limit to how much stuff you can upload there, and you don't have the soundcloud compression issues. That way it's less of a facebook sorta social networking "<3 my song!" sort of deal and could be seen as more serious.

I think the "talking about cool little things you did to the mix" is key, since this is a production thread after all. Specifics given about how we do our production, and collaborative group improvement those methods, is the whole point of doing these "challenges". The more specifics the better.

Mentioning it in the next OP is a good idea. I think we should pick one set of days per week to do it too, depending on when people are available (like if people want to share on the weekend such as Saturday, you could have the challenge go through Thursday and Friday). One challenge per week (even though it's only 48 hours) is good since after getting feedback, people have a couple of days to digest that information, to learn and then get read for the next one. Doing it all the time every 2 days might get messy, and hard to keep track of.

Anyways, those are my 2c. Hopefully my Microbrute will arrive in time before the first one, as I'd like to use it for that purpose and multitrack the shit out of it.
>>
>>48326871

Also, saying what we were going for with our songs is key. Like that discussion that happened earlier in the thread, sometimes something you think was a mistake is actually something done on purpose and what the artist was going for. Understanding this sort of thing from the get-go will be very helpful in knowing how to dispense advice in the future, imo.
>>
>>48326871
Lets make the new challenge start on Sunday, and have the deadline the following saturday, that will give us working class folks time on the weekend to get it done, though submitting early is still encouraged.
>>
>>48310380

Vangelis is the greatest modern composer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No4clvlQ5mE

Tangerine Dream is great too, Rubycon was nuts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHTzs2TjwQo

>1975

Music isn't as experimental as it used to be.
>>
>>48326871
Alright, so 7 minutes will be a limit, for those who want to create ambient stuff. I don't use bandcamp a lot, but in this situation, we'd all just post our own bandcamps? or would we post on one bandcamp as a collective?

let's do it once first, but doing it regularly would be really awesome. once a week might be too much for people, at least the 48 hour songs, maybe once every two weeks, or we could mix it up with different time spans, as well as rules, themes, etc.

and yes I really agree with you here >>48326927

the best thing about this and not picking a specific theme or genre for the first one, is that we all make bleeps. it's like an introduction to the (hopefully)diverse songs/sounds of the people on this board.

as long as nobody is shunned in the scheduled 48 hours we do it and we have a place to post, this should be pretty easy.
>>
this song isn't bleep at all but i wanna incorporate this sound in2 my bleeps, what kind of wave do you think this is & what kind of effects do you think are on it? i think i hear a convolver and at first i thought it was a sine + square but i've tried it out and i'm not so sure. also what do you think the envelope is? regular decay or hold then cut & leave the decay to the convolver?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGnQIy1Jy14
i'm talking about the beeping lead noise that comes in at 2:20
>>
>>48321077

Those are going for around $800 on ebay.
>>
>>48327190
I compared it to a 2A03 (the sound chip inside a NES) and the pulse wave sounds really similar. so it's probably just a pulse oscillator + some envelope + reverb

the env is confusing to say for sure cus i'm certain there's some reverb on there. It's probably very simple like that
>>
>>48327100

I think >>48327058 may have a point, I just started a new 40 hour/week job myself (summer work between semesters and all that junk). So maybe a week is in fact the way to go.

Or maybe do like, (something that begins with an F and is related to music challenge stuff) Fridays, so it'll be Friday and Saturday to make something, and post it on Sunday?
>>
Just created a magnificent Clav patch on my memefeld, would anybody like it?
>>
>>48327487
okay, This sounds like a good idea. but for this first one we will do what >>48327058 says.

you get from this upcoming sunday to make as good a bleep as you can, with a deadline of saturday. Posting early is okay, but we all listen to them and talk about them the weekend they are posted(the following sat+sun).
>>
>>48327554
Sample it being held at least once every octave, I'll appreciate it.

In fact, why aren't we sharing samples all day long? Sharing is caring and I'd be happy to make some patches for you guys.
>>
>>48327589

Sounds good. We doing the bandcamp thing?

I think we should bring back bandcamp usage. Personalized websites, high fidelity music file uploads, unlimited upload space (this one in particular really pisses me off about soundcloud, limiting how many tracks you can upload and requiring you to pay monthly for even just double the normal amount).

We're /bleepproduction/, we should be the srs business alternative to the soundcloud sharethread bullshit where everyone just wants to be famous and get empty compliments and never give constructive feedback. Save your soundcloud for marketing/promotion/networking sort of stuff instead, i.e. social media duty.

Thoughts?
>>
>>48327690
You make a good point about not using soundcloud. So on Saturday everyone would post their own bandcamp link? where they'd have their song and explanations? or they could explain in their post in the thread, or both. there's also clyp.it for those who don't want to post an existing bandcamp they might have. I would probably archive all the links and keep them in a pastebin and it could be a regular post in the OP or something
>>
>>48327690
sounds kool, im tired of posting in sc threds
>>
>>48327690
I concur. Let's not make a soundcloud hate wagon here, but let's try to make the standards a bit higher.
>>
>>48327825
>>48327838

Yeah, pretty much. Pretty sure you can just post to the single file (instead of doing an album or something) as well. It'll be especially useful since the songs will retain their .WAV high fidelity, so we'll get to listen to much clearer recordings without the compression soundcloud automatically throws on everything. Plus no one will have to delete tracks from their soundcloud just to have space to upload songs for new challenges, theoretically you could keep your old stuff up there forever and track your progress as a producer.

Archiving the links is a cool idea, if you're up to it. Didn't know about clyp.it before, but if that's an option for people who don't want to use bandcamp, more power to them. I'll definitely be bookmarking it for future use myself, even though I have a BC.

Looks like things are shaping up nicely! *carefully marks calendar for Sat 7/26 Deadline*
>>
>>48327854

Fair enough, but I think my points are valid, especially my last two (oh how i hate the soundcloud auto compression...)
>>
>>48327825
>>48327690
Disagree about the Bandcamp thing. To me Bandcamp is for more formal releases where with Soundcloud I feel I can throw up single tracks and the like. Bothers me to see an artist on BC that just has like thirty singles and no albums.
>>
There's also clyp.it which is basically like vocaroo except it doesn't destroy your sound quality.
>>
How can I get good at sampling via hardware?
>>
>>48328141

Couldn't you just make the song private after the challenge is over?
>>
File: sample.jpg (343 KB, 1000x672) Image search: [Google]
sample.jpg
343 KB, 1000x672
https://www.dropbox.com/s/itn90p839ealgll/001%20Alpha%20Juno%20Brass%20%5Bbleeproduction%5D.rar

I sampled it in 8 octaves.
>>
>>48328222
You could, but I still feel it sort of runs against the idea of Bandcamp. SC has always felt like a good place for one offs and ideas and such. This is really sort of just a perception based nit picky complaint, but still.
>>
File: private_parts.jpg (9 KB, 458x89) Image search: [Google]
private_parts.jpg
9 KB, 458x89
>>48328222

Yeah, I just tested it. If you make a track private no one can see it. So, >>48328141 shouldn't be a problem imo
>>
>>48328306

Psssh, what's with the morality crap all of a sudden? If for no other reason, the sound quality is far superior to soundcloud. I haven't tried clyp.it yet, but the main advantage I see of BC over clyp.it is that you get a nice private limitless hi-fi database of your progress as a producer.

Gonna try uploading something new on it to test sound quality, gimme a sec... there: http://clyp.it/hxmru4mo
>>
>>48328569

Alright, sounds good to me, clyp.it it is!

Btw I know the highs/lead part is incredibly low in the mix, this was one of my first trials with the boomerang III and using a microphone. I still like the groove of it though ;)
>>
>>48328569
>>48328682
i'm okay with using either one. clypit looks like a great choice though, sound quality sounds good, anyone know the exactly bitrate or if they have any compression or anything like that?

also i liked your song, good rhythm though the high "snap" sounded a bit too loud to me. not a dealbreaker but just thought id point that out
>>
Do we all agree on clyp.it? we post to clyp.it, and post the explanation in the thread. The only problem with this is archiving it, but if nobody is concerned with that we can just stick with clyp.it
>>
>>48327663
It's a clav, so it's velocity sensitive, sampling wouldn't do it much justice.
>>
Should I get a Korg Volca keys to make ambient music? It's perfect for my budget.
>>
>>48328923
I'm probably going to buy one of those next.
>>
I'm looking for a good starter synth, and wondering if anyone has any recommendations. My buddy has a Korg Mini and I think it's great but I don't want the same thing. Budget about $400-$500
>>
>>48328923

Well, from what I've heard it's definitely the better choice compared to the bass.

Listen to lots of demos and if you like the sound of it, go for it. Personally I'd save up and get a microbrute for a much more fully-featured but budget-friendly synth, but it might not be for you so to each his own.

I'd say listen to the demos here: http://greatsynthesizers.com/en/test/korg-volca-series-little-doors-to-big-polyphonics/
http://greatsynthesizers.com/en/test/arturia-microbrute-tiny-on-the-outside-huge-on-the-inside/

And watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVTm0mT53fU&hd=1

Before pulling the trigger.
>>
File: bassstation2_top.jpg (159 KB, 1181x817) Image search: [Google]
bassstation2_top.jpg
159 KB, 1181x817
>>48329099

>$400-500
>Don't want an ms20 mini

Bass Station 2, case closed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWIfDz_vYwQ&hd=1
>>
>>48329099
minibrute, microbrute, novation bass station 2, waldorf pulse 2(this one is like 650 tho). novation K station

those are only a few options, but i'm very fond of the brutes myself. although they are all good to learn on, and sellable if you don't like them
>>
>>48329099
Micro and Minibrute are solid.

If you want polyphony, try the Waldorf Blofeld.

What other needs do you have for it?
>>
>>48329222

Blofeld module is good if you don't want analog. I figured with the mention of the ms20 he wanted a different analog.

BS2 is perfect for someone like him, I would definitely get it over the Minibrute. The main reason I went with the Microbrute instead of the BS2 is because I plan on (slowly) getting into modular.

Fun fact: the BS2 doubles as a MIDI controller with aftertouch, and all of the functions are controllable via MIDI (not true with the brutes).
>>
>>48329372
Jesus christ, not this crap again.
>>
Yay, annoying BS2 guy is back. Just when the thread was going so excellent too!
>>
>>48329372
>Fun fact: the BS2 doubles as a MIDI controller with aftertouch
Same with the Minibrute
>and all of the functions are controllable via MIDI (not true with the brutes).
A lot of people go analog to get out of the box. I've also never used any midi control on midi capable analogs I've owned other than keyboard triggering. It's not incredibly useful unless you're trying to avoid it's use as a keyboard synth.
>>
what actually is the cheapest moog synth? minitaur?
>>
>>48329408
>>48329433

Relax, I'm not that guy, just giving an honest opinion. It's got 2 oscillators (albeit DCO's), lots of features, so it's good for beginners imo. All I'm gonna say on the subject.

If the guy chooses one of the brutes over it, more power to him. I'd suggest watching the sonicstate reviews of each device, and decide what your needs are. If he wants wants the ability to save patches, he might not be happy with the VCO stuff, just sayin'.
>>
>>48329647
Werkstatt, but it's more of a hacker's instrument.

You also might be able to get a satellite secondhand, but you'll definitely be let down.

Other than those, yeah minitaur
>>
>>48329659
Sorry, I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from going for the BS2, but the last part of your post just seemed like something that guy would have said.
>>
>>48329659
What do you think of the pulse?
>>
>>48329701
>let down
Ha, I've got a poster of the Satellite hanging in my room but never actually heard it. What's so bad about it?
>>
>>48329750

np.

>>48329767

Both the original and the pulse 2 are great. I may actually recommend the pulse+ over the bass station 2 if that guy could get a hold of one online in good condition. the p2 is out of his price range though, but I'd say it's definitely preferable to the BS2, if I was going that route (not a fan of DCO's personally, not the same character as VCO's) I'd save up for it.
>>
>>48329815
It sounds closer to the yamaha SY-1 and 2 monosynths, than it does any regular Moog. If you want Moog bass, it's not the place to look.

Preset based and only one VCO as well.

Not terribad in general, but probably the worst Moog I can think of. Even the MG-1 has many features over it.
>>
>>48329925
Realistic MG-1, totally forgot about that thing. cool synth for the price
>>
>>48329701

Do note that the Minitaur is a bass synth, and only goes up to C4.

The Vermona Mono Lancet is a better option imo. I've heard several people online say it has bigger balls than the Minitaur, too. There may of course be some bias or subjectivity in that, but I'd highly recommend at least looking into the lancet:

http://greatsynthesizers.com/en/test/vermona-mono-kick-lancet-lead-and-groove-synthesizers/
(good quality demos at the end)
>>
>>48329963
Yeah, if you make sure to take care of the foam issue, it's pretty neat. I sometimes do the MG-1 poly trick by feeding a portable combo organ I have into a VCF, fun stuff when you get an envelope filter involved too.
>>
>>48310902

Plogue Chipsounds VST
>>
>>48329985
ofc it's an option, I was just answering the guy's question in it's most basic form, cheapest Moog synth
>>
>>48329925
Also, 12db/oct filter, not the classic Moog filter. Probably why it sounds like a Yammie
>>
>>48330024
A+ vst, i've saved so much time using this and not learning famitracker (although i probably should eventually)
>>
>>48330025

True, true. I guess I just never understood the hype around Moog synths in the first place, to be honest. I feel like they tend to be overpriced for the name and history.

Like... they're okay I guess, but other synths tend to have a more interesting character or better features for less money. idk maybe it's just me
>>
>>48330179
Try a Model D sometime man, you'll see what the hype is about.

I've played ARPs, I've played old Korgs. They're all fun, they're all unique. Moog is just the same. They didn't earn the respect for their name and their history for no reason.
>>
>>48312126
>>48311802

what about other Korg products? I've been looking at the KP3 plus and Koassalator plus and they look pretty cool and I cant find any gear by any other companies like them
>>
>>48330292
Those two are in a league of their own. Good tools, but not really a programmers synth or FX box, they're more of a live/looping tool.
>>
>>48330103

I swear I use it on every track.
>>
What's the cheapest MIDI retrofit solution
>>
>>48330453
jesus, didn't mean to sound so hostile!
>What's the cheapest MIDI retrofit solution? It'd mostly be for lower end Casio and Yamaha keyboards, as those usually don't have it built in.
>>
>>48330363

link to music? soundcloud?
>>
>>48330453
Elaborate. Do you mean midi to CV?

If you have eurorack, probably Pittsburg midi2cv, though it isn't well received. Doepfer is never a bad option. Expert sleepers would be my choice, but that requires DAW integration.

If you're talking about non-euro solutions, Kenton is the correct choice.
>>
>>48330532
Disregard this post >>48330564
Still solid advice though.

You're looking to add midi in or out? Adding midi in is going to be quite difficult.
>>
>>48330603
>>48330564
Thanks anyway! but yeah, MIDI-in. difficult in what way?
>>
>>48330603
not that guy, but how about adding midi out to a microbrute? it only had midi in which worries me and makes me not want to buy it
>>
>>48330651
There's a mod for it, but I can't remember where I saw it. It's pretty simple if you can soldier though.

You are aware that it can send midi over USB, right?

>>48330647
Ready made diy keyboard scanners are already commonplace, tons of people make them.

What you're looking at doing is adding a midi controlled relay system to an existing (likely digital) instrument. If you know what you're doing, and have solid experience with circuitry, you should be able to figure it out. But if you're looking for something to just throw together and not do any troubleshooting, you're not going to get far.

My advice: find out what that synth does, and get a plugin or better version of it, chances are that a better synth still won't cost as much as a midi retrofit system.
>>
>>48330552
not him but this song is entirely Plogue chipsounds. I think there's one VST torrent out there, otherwise it's 95 bucks and pretty worth it. There's a lot of cool stuff you can do with it, like layering different chips that they've emulated to a tee.
https://soundcloud.com/effoharkay/cleaning-out-my-mouth-holes

sorry for posting SC twice in one thread, just showing examples
>>
>>48330810
I've made MIDI retrofits before (via programming an atmel chip) but it's time consuming. I just wanted to see if there was a PCB or maybe a kit for something similar
>>
>>48330906
Good. I was mostly just trying not to get your hopes up if you had no experience. Highly liquid offers a unit that's fairly priced.
>>
>>48330810
>You are aware that it can send midi over USB, right?

yeah but then you need a computer. midi out would be to use it w/o a computer to control shit (namely, a lancet).

probably gonna just wind up getting the modular dock since i'm afraid of destroying anything, but good to know one exists at least. i'll do some googling.
>>
>>48331013
I probably saw it at muffwiggler

Why not get a better controller? The sequencer is great, but I never use the keys.
>>
>>48330841

neat, thanks. and yeah, i actually downloaded the torrent you speak of (or maybe a different one... i got it a couple of years ago), never got around to using it yet tho. but i have a lot of VST's like that, even Nexus.
>>
>>48331067
Here it is.

muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95459&start=555

Looks like you don't even need to add anything, just piggybacking off of the existing circuit.
>>
File: tumblr_maz9q2lD5Z1qd0knjo1_500.jpg (164 KB, 500x677) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_maz9q2lD5Z1qd0knjo1_500.jpg
164 KB, 500x677
did any of you guys learn piano / music theory after you invested in gear? i bought a synth awhile ago after months of vst programming and it's great fun. unfortunately, i can't play for shit. i can make wonderful sounds but it takes me ages to figure out anything more than simple jams (and always by trial and error). i know my way around the keyboard by now - i know what notes sound like before i touch the keys, and can play that way - but all of my progressions lack a certain spark, and i often end up using a handful of notes/chords i really like. i'm pretty decent at fitting notes into drones and more ambient pieces though, it's only when i actually try to jam that i run into difficulty.

with that said, any advice other than keep practicing? i want to have better focus and direct my learning, as i love fucking around with sounds and could get lost for years if i don't move onto real composition soon.

cheers.
>>
>>48331569
Yes, but before. I recommend getting an instructor. I also recommend "the Musician's Guide to Theory and Analysis" workbook. Beyond that, just applying yourself.
>>
bumping for production
Thread replies: 211
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.