[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does this math chart look, /mu/? Anything you'd replace
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4
File: My Math Rock Chart2.jpg (602 KB, 963x1753) Image search: [Google]
My Math Rock Chart2.jpg
602 KB, 963x1753
How does this math chart look, /mu/? Anything you'd replace with something else?

I'm not totally thrilled with the bottom row
>>
>>48234184
those are albums not math

source: several years of math
>>
>>48234193
Good catch, I'll keep that in mind
>>
there's gotta be a better jap math record than 3nd's World Tour, that album is really more towards post-rock imo. té would be a step up i think

also Auto!Automatic!! is pretty boring and i would replace it with The Bulletproof Tiger
>>
File: 1335149635782.jpg (53 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1335149635782.jpg
53 KB, 200x200
>>48234537
>>
>>48234537
I never really got much into té, too heavy for me. If I were to replace it, it would probably be with Imaginary Monofiction by Hitorie

I wouldn't call Auto!Automatic!! boring, I think they have great atmosphere and unlike a lot of bands they have some great basslines
>>
>>48234184
needs some geometry
>>
>>48234184
i don't really see the point of the french section

spiderland definately to the influential albums

seems like a decent chart if you want to get into the genre so i'm not gonna list my own favorites
>>
>>48234631
But you see the point of a Japanese section?

The reason I didn't include Spiderland is because I'm assuming that if you're looking to get more into math rock, you've already listened to Spiderland. I'd rather include an album somebody probably hasn't heard
>>
>>48234616
A!A!! just feels like one of those post-rock bands with tappy guitars that gets thrown into the math rock tag, i couldn't get much into it
>>
>>48234184
Nomeansno- Wrong should be in the Early/Influential
>>
>>48234677
i think that usa and japan has the biggest math rock scenes. japan has definately been influential and boundary pushing with the genre
>>
>>48234184
Maybe some Melt-Banana in the Japanese section
>>
>>48234184
What about Antarctic - s/t or Don Caballero - WBNR?
>>
>>48234631
This. Spiderland is king and must be on there.
>>
>>48234707
I just think it's a good idea to acknowledge other scenes

>>48234710
I went with A!A!! over Antarctic, and I already have American Don
>>
Math(s) Rock
>>
>>48234694
What album would you say I should replace with Wrong?
>>
>>48234616
>Hitorie

Mah nig. Great band, even though their first EP was miles better than the album.
>>
>>48234694
i don't know if i feel too much math rock from them but i wouldn't be starkly opposed

>>48234709
i think i'd disagree on this, they're a wacky noise rock band from i wouldn't call them math rock
>>
File: Math Rock V4.png (2 MB, 1289x1468) Image search: [Google]
Math Rock V4.png
2 MB, 1289x1468
You've still just got shit taste in a bunch of areas
>>
>>48235004
Care to expand on that statement?
>>
>>48235004
damn red red run, i haven't heard them in forever. good shit good shit
>>
>>48235004
this is definately better chart. this includes broader scale of styles like the more recent mix of math rock and emo (ttng for example). definately good chart for a beginner.

also this containes bones in the soil, rust in the oil which is my absolute favorite :^3
>>
>>48235079
Except that it doesn't include any of the early, post hardcore influenced albums or the influential albums like Burner by Breadwinner
>>
>>48235104
Because I made a chart for math rock, not post hardcore
>>
>>48235104
well i guess you could include the influential section but to be honest some of the bands that have influenced the genre and many of the older albums that are labeled math rock don't really fulfill the requirements of what is usually called math rock
>>
>>48235139
Except that I said post hardcore influenced

With the exception of Today's Active lifestyles, your earliest album is from what, like 1998?
>>
>>48235157
Are you implying the 2000s weren't the halcyon days for math rock?
>>
>>48235157
the genre really grew into it's shoes in the 2000 though
>>
Isn't American Football a big math rock album? Forgive me if it's not, I don't know much about the genre. I was just surprised it wasn't on either chart
>>
>>48235185
Yeah, pretty much

Way too many twinkly bands with terrible vocalists that sound way too similar

That's not to say that there aren't a lot of great albums released in the 00's, but there are too many derivative albums.
>>
>>48235207
in a way yes, it does contain heavy math rock influences but it's generally seen as an emo album. i would include it on a chart though
>>
Toe is a good Japanese math rock band.
>>
>>48235256
I concur with this statement
>>
>>48235207
It is, but the math isn't in your face and all the plens don't even notice all the time signature changes
>>
>>48235215
>too many derivative
Since you're blind to the variety I'll post a few links

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2gk7N4P3QQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtMsjBbtS54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnXRmywtEdg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaYVYNj8dYc

The genre has innovated just fine
>too many twinkly bands with bad vocalists
Did TTNG fuck your sister?
>>
>>48235240
>>48235293

Oh okay, that makes sense. I had a feeling it was something like that
>>
Toe should definitely be in there and so should Monster Machismo. If you're gonna go a little deeper and mention mathcore, The Fall of Troy is the only band worth mentioning.
>>
>>48235306
Honestly, your chart would be fine if you got rid of multiple albums by the same band. It's redundant, and takes away space from other bands that could be on the chart

Bands that would be a great addition to your chart:
Battles
A Minor Forest
Minus the Bear

I think these would add in more variety and would fit in just fine if you removed one of the albums from Don Cab, Tera Melos, and G?G!
>>
>>48235359
>Mathcore
>The Fall of Troy is the only band worth mentioning.

kek
>>
>>48235359
>Dillinger Escape Plan
>Number Twelve Looks Like You
>Converge
>the list goes on
>
>>
>>48235359
Toe is already in there though
>>
>>48235394
>Dillinger Escape Plan

I almost fucking threw up. I'll let the other two pass though, especially since Converge is dope.
>>
>>48235420
>plens can't into time signatures
>>
>>48235004
I like this chart better because it has Tera Melos

OP, you have the wrong Battles album. Mirrored is mathier than Gloss Drop, which isn't really math rock at all.
>>
>>48235391
Battles is Post Rock
Minus the Bear has shitty vocals
A Minor Forest is more post hardcore than anything
>>
>>48235492
Battles is more experimental rock than post rock, but to say they aren't mathy is ridiculous

Minus the Bear has perfectly fine vocals, definitely better than some of the bands on the chart

A Minor Forest is most definitely math rock
>>
>>48234184
>having For Long Tomorrow
>not having The Book About My Idle Plot On A Vague Anxiety

Also, you should put Wrong by NOMEANSNO in the early influences section.
One more thing, check out Volta Desviada by Fordamage. It should be up there.
>>
There's literally no math on there. Boil up some equations, then we'll talk.
>>
>>48235555
But there are quads
>>
>>48234184
What program or website did you use to make this?
>>
>math rock isn't songs about math
wasted potential imo
>>
File: My Math Rock Chart3.jpg (588 KB, 960x1648) Image search: [Google]
My Math Rock Chart3.jpg
588 KB, 960x1648
Okay, made some changes to the chart

Let me know if you have an album with a sound that isn't represented on the chart, or does it better than an album already on the chart

I'd love to hear your recommendations
>>
>>48234184
Get some Tera Melos up in there
>>
>>48236801
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QamU4-8NUw&feature=kp
>>
>>48238215
10/10 BNM (best new math)
>>
>>48234184
>the fall of troy nowhere to be seen
shit list
>>
>>48238305
Then make your case as to why it should be added to the list, and what it would replace
>>
>>48238116
>still no that one album about spiders or some shit
>>
>>48234184
Add a section for mathcore.
Add The Cabs and Te in the Japanese math section.
>>
>>48240025
I don't really listen to any math core, so I'd need recs for each spot

I want each section to have multiples of 5, so if you (or anyone else) can think of 3 more Japanese albums, I'd be glad to expand it. I can add Imaginary Monofiction by Hitorie in there, so really we only need about 2 more

>>48239967
I dunno if I said it in this thread, but I don't want to take a spot away from another album to put Spiderland on there, because most people interested in math rock have already heard it
>>
>>48240025
the cabs are more emo than math rock. Might as well put AmFo on there too then
>>
Bump, still looking for suggestions for this chart
>>48238116
>>
>>48242072
it's fine as it is, really. I think people itt are only confusing you more than helping at this point.
>>
>>48242118
Nah, I'm not really confused, just looking to help make a more comprehensive chart for people looking to get into the genre
>>
>>48242629
poor wording, sorry, but people really aren't helping when they are basically just saying "do this or that" without really explaining why you should do so.

50 albums are more than enough to get started and people shouldn't have problem finding more to listen to if they simply look up the bands on last.fm and check the similar artist section.

If you DO want to expand then maybe make an "unconventional math rock" section with bands like mouse on the keys or Sajjanu that do more than just noodling away on the guitars on their albums or don't use guitars at all.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.