[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it more important to focus on songwriting/production abilities
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (175 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
175 KB, 600x900
Is it more important to focus on songwriting/production abilities or skill/mastery of the instrument?
>>
both are equal
where would you be with skillful mastery of instruments but no songs to play/shit production?
what about if you were great at writing songs and producing them but couldn't play for your life?
>>
>>61946879
well wouldn't you have to be at least good enough to play your own songs?
>>
>>61946851
technical abilities are really completely irrelevant these days

it's nice to think they matter because it gives a solid footing to judge 'progress' on, but it really doesn't matter one bit if you are not completely hopeless at plucking some notes on a geetar.

the only thing that matters is the song. most people listening to a song don't give a fuck about how skilled the instrument playing is as long as it sounds good.

you can have some simple thing played by someone who is not technically proficient that is really catchy and people wind up liking it, and you can have something that is played extremely well with a high degree of technique that sounds like shit.
>>
>>61946851
It's more important to not use shitty meme guitars and buy either a telecaster, a stratocaster, an SG, or a Les Paul.
>>
>>61946972
is it possible to be great at theory but average on instrument skill? I practice all the time but then I come across guitar players who are fucking hardcore and practice 6-7 hours a day with sessions that cover every single guitar technique. Part of me wants to go for that and achieve it but what's the point if I love making simple noise rock/pop music
>>
>>61946851
I'm more interested in songwriting, whether you have technical skill or not is w/e
>>
>>61947098
Gives you versatility. You don't always have to use your ability but it means you can mix things up every now and then if you need to.
>>
I can play Greensleeves on a fart keyboard.
>>
>>61947098
yes absolutely you can know a fuck ton about theory and suck

its tempting to sit for hours and try and become a shredder with rigorous practice but in the end you'll sound like shit to 99.99999% of people even if you can play like yngwie because yngwie sounds like shit to 99.99999999% of people

becoming a virtuoso, even though its a lot of hard work, is the easy way of approaching music, because you don't have to think as much as if you do it yourself and just work on what you think is cool

you spend a lot more time using imagination and creativity coming up with songs from your own nuts than doing some pre-planned road map of technique/technical prowess

you'll be a whole lot more relatable to other people in the end too
>>
>>61947290
you're the same one from the other thread, aren't you? git gud faggot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BLcApIFphA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boanuwUMNNQ
>>
If you want to be a technical genius, don't be a faggot and play guitar. That's child's play. Get yourself a violin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpnIrE7_1YA

If you want to actually write and create music though go for it, the guitar is a great instrument for that.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.