[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you guys listened to the Jesu/Sun Kil Moon album yet? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2
File: Sun-Kil-Moon-and-Jesu.png (61 KB, 640x361) Image search: [Google]
Sun-Kil-Moon-and-Jesu.png
61 KB, 640x361
Have you guys listened to the Jesu/Sun Kil Moon album yet? I just finished my first listen, I like it much better than Universal Themes so far.
>>
>>61915605
Beautiful You is one of the most incredible songs I've listened to in the last year or so. The album has some mediocre moments (Exodus was a bit disappointing particularly when Low and Rachel Goswell both had input on it) but songs like Carondelet, A Song of Shadows, Last Night I Rocked the Room, America's Most Wanted and Beautiful You are fucking great.

I'm not sure if it's better than Universal Themes or Ghosts of the Great Highway, but its definitely as good, if not better than Benji. Really great album. Can't wait for it to get panned because its a Mark "Big Scary Meesogeenist" Kozelek production.
>>
gotta listen to it soon. i really liked ut
>>
can't wait to go to one of their shows and have Mark tell me how terrible i am
simply love giving that guy money
>>
>>61917635
actually he keeps telling the audience how terrible he is
>>
>>61917772
haha true
i accidentally saw some of his set at a festival
it was satisfying walking out
i chose to go listen to nothing instead
>>
>>61917635
do people make these assumptions based on shitty pitchfork reviews? you actually listen to his music and lyrics then he gives a pretty good insight into his actual feelings. he's a pretty humble guy and he seems grateful for his fans
>>
>>61918670
yea how about when you go to his shows and hear him make fun of the crowds or calling out specific audience members and berating them for not singing along to all of the songs or whatever?
there's plenty of evidence out there of him being a complete cunt
i've seen it firsthand, as have plenty of other people
>>
>>61918837
he berates his audience, it's what he's always done, even during red house painters era. he still seems like a pretty humble guy
>>
>>61918670
I honestly think he wrote way better and more mature lyrics when he was in his 20s then he is now. A lot of stuff on Benji made me cringe hard for example.
>>
>>61918909
really? i loved benjis lyrics. i also think his best stuff is behind him, but i feel like with this new album he lessened a bit on all the diary entry lyrics like on universal themes, so maybe he'll return to his old song writing
>>
>>61918670
>>61918867
Mark Kozelek targets female journalist, claims she “wants to fuck him” and “should get in line, bitch”

“You think you’re the only person who wants to get a face-to-face interview with me? Get in line. I’m the best person you never met [sic] and one day, if you ever meet me, you’ll probably want to have my baby.”

Earlier this month, Sun Kil Moon's Mark Kozelek told a "fucking hillbilly" audience in North Carolina to "shut the fuck up."

“The War On Drugs can suck my fucking dick.”

and on and on and on

>pretty humble guy
>>
>>61919052
idk man, that just seems like he's kidding around. i appreciate i'm making excuses for him but i just think he's kidding around. also him saying that to WOD and that journalist has no correlation to his fan appreciation
>>
>>61919343
He's just an extremely bitter and self-absorbed old fart. Hell, even in the 90s he gave off that vibe in the interviews.
I remember when he was asked once about what him and his band were doing after RHP shows and he said something about how band would go out and drink, relax, talk, sometimes spend time with fans after shows and all that, while he would go and pick up the random hottest girl and go have sex with her in some hotel because he can't stand being around people. And it was said in such a way that almost implied everyone at his shows (including his band) are losers and plebs, while he's this hot stud poet banging random chicks while thinking about existential dilemmas at the same time probably.
>>
I literally can hardly hear the vocals/lyrics from the webstream leak

I mean, I can hear some of it, but I'm struggling to make out the words which is ruining what listening to Mark is supposd to be like (sit back and just listen to his stories)

Did a proper rip come out yet?
>>
Lyrically, it sounds like Mark is stuck. The subject matter is the same as on the last couple of albums - stuff he did during his day, boxing matches, what he ate, what people said about him, his girlfriend.

On Perils, his everyday observations were pathways into deeper widespread human experiences and truths.

Now it's just lists, and it's boring.

It's nice the way he laughs his way, like a total jerk, through the recital of a fan letter on 'Last Night I Rocked the Room...'

"Glass on the pavement under my shoe / without you is all my life amounts to"
- M. Kozelek, 1993

"We made love this morning and she went off to Best Buy and Bed Bath and Beyond"
- M. Kozelek, 2015
>>
>>61919343
there was another story i read recently where there was a girl in the front row of one of his shows. she sang along to one of his most popular songs. later he's playing another song and she doesn't know the lyrics. he stops the show, berates her for not knowing the lyrics, she leaves crying

i don't really care what his intentions are: if he's treating everyone around him like shit, he's treating everyone around him like shit

i believe that he's depressed and sad and bitter....and well that sucks but it's no excuse
the world would be a better place if he offed himself
>>
I saw Mike Patton live (Faith No More) and he looked like he was randomly trying to egg me on (cuz he just likes doing that) to get mad at him or something but I was enjoying the show so much and smiling that he started smiling too :)
>>
>>61919728
See, this is what I meant when I said I feel like the stuff he wrote in his 20s seems way more mature.

then:
"And like a medicine bottle
In the cabinet I'll keep you
And like a medicine bottle
In my hand I will hold you
And swallow you slowly
As to last me a lifetime
Without holding too tight
I do not want to lose
The thrill that it gives me"

now:
"Gonna spend time with my girl, make a record this summer
Fix my kitchen up and hire a plumber
The headlines change so rapidly
Then I came to the studio to work on something pretty"
>>
I'm halfway through and am not really impressed. Jesu's sound has become very predictable and is an awkward match for Mark's voice. The lyrics don't make me feel anything, I just don't understand the appeal of the diary stuff.

I feel like this would have been God-tier if they had done it maybe 5 years earlier.
>>
I'm starting to lose my interest in his music
The dude is a great lyricist when he doesn't do the "Stream of Conscious" bullshit
I mean compare a song like Ruth Marie to any of the songs on this collab

Is this even the same dude??
>>
>namedropping Pitchfork
reeeeee
>>
>>61919778
i don't buy it. why wouldn't anyone just record this shit?
>>
>>61919871
the 'now' lyrics work for benji because the points he was making about the mundanity of life and death in that richard ramirez song theres a really brief throwaway line that's something like "an airline crashed and two people died/ and I'm at a barbaque in santa fey and everybody's drinking..." (not sure if 100% accurate) which works within the context of the song
>>
>>61919636
Mark doesn't drink because of his alcohol problem when he was younger, in that On Tour DVD he put before one of his concerts he asked the venue that they made sure that the beer he was drinking on stage was non-alcoholic

Not saying i don't believe he said that but i wouldn't think he would talk about drinking
>>
>>61920164
Disregard this, i read what you said wrong
>>
>>61920055
because he yells at people who record his shows

i don't really give a shit if you buy it or not, it's well known and there's plenty of proof of him acting like a cunt out there
i'd say he's probably more well known for being an asshole than for his music these days
>>
>>61918837
>>61919052
>>61919636
>>61919778
i just really really want him to be an okay guy. his music and lyrics have meant so much to me, in a way that no other music ever has and I'm referring more to SKM than RHP. i know loads of people say don't let the artist effect the music but i cant help it
>>
>>61920212
i get that, if you like his music you don't want his personality to ruin it
i'd recommend never seeing him live and don't ever read a news story about him
>>
>>61920202
he's honestly not, the journalist shit is all i could find that was unnecessary, all the rest seems to just be him fucking around. I've no idea how the war on drugs thing got so blown out of proportion
>>
>>61919778
i hate myself a bit for saying this but she shouldnt have sang at all anf should grow a thicker skin t b h. like mark i can see the humour in her knowing only the hits or something.

obviously if were serious maybe it just happened to be her fav song whatever
>>
>>61920212
I read something on a website which was a transcript of an email exchange between Mark and a up-in-coming songwriter and Mark seemed like such a awesome, nice dude in what he was saying to this person, offering him advice, talking about boxing and offering him a chance to play with and open for Sun Kil Moon.

I honestly dont understand him at all, cause i have seen two sides of him, but the negative side of him sometimes gets as bad to the point that it affects peoples views and thoughts of his music even.
>>
>>61920263
>>61920282
suck him off already
>>
>>61915605
First three songs were okay, last three songs were crap. 6/10
>>
>>61920282
If he were joking around, you'd think he wouldn't have made her fucking cry or apologized.

Who gives a fuck if she's singing certain songs. She paid to see him

Are you really so far up this dude's ass that you can't see him being a fucking dick?
>>
>>61917635
Do people genuinely get butthurt at banter? Like are you so insecure that a man making a generalization as a joke makes you feel bad?
>>
>>61920254
>>61920355
thanks for both responses. i'm really starting to buy this depressed thing, it's like some kind of bi-polar. i do agree despite being such a huge fan that he has definitely become bitter, the constant calling out of 'hipster' after benji (which i kinda understand desu) but still dick thing to say
>>
>>61920359
i just think he's grossly misrepresented. even the journalist thing is clearly a piss-take, he said she's be like a "cat in heat", he's clearly taking the fucking piss
>>
>>61920391
who the fuck wants to pay money to go be insulted by some dickhead?
he's not a comedian and he's not even funny. he's just a prick
>>
I'm more of a Justin Broadrick fan, is this still worth checking out?
>>
>>61920463
>who the fuck wants to pay money to go be insulted by some dickhead?
It's like you have never been to a stand-up comedy show
>>
>>61920391
Cuck masochist fag.
>>
the delusion and mental hoops that are being jumped through in this thread is amazing

you're like the people who would pay to go see an MF DOOM show knowing he's going to send an impostor and not show up, or the people who would go to see GG Allin and get shit thrown on you

"haha good joke GG, you threw shit on me, i know you didn't really mean it though!"
>>
>>61920521
it's like you only read one of my two sentences
>>
>>61920521
Does your boyfriend let you swallow?
>>
>>61920537
kind of not the same thing at all
>>
>>61920560
You're right i didn't
>>61920595
I'm usually a top
>>
>>61920537
It's p. weird. Who has this big of a hard on for a musician?

I wonder if these people go to every show they can, fully fucking torked, and masturbate in the bathroom to the dude's voice

It's like we're being raided by fangirls that can't except that their favorite artist could possibly be an ass outside of his albums
>>
>>61920638
A top that loves all that juicy cum?
>>
>>61920661
nah its literally just that based koz offended a few tumblrinas, pitchfork threw a shit-fit and changed a review of his from good to bad. and no its turned into
>le grounchy old boogeyman
despite the fact that he's still the best folk artist going
>>
>>61920699
Nice schoolyard jokes, you ever make it past 8th grade?

I bet you are getting hard while typing those out
>>
>>61919636
>>61919778

[citation needed]

It's pretty funny how none of this shit about Mark being such an asshole came up until AFTER Benji got so popular among the indie P4K/Fantano crowd.
>>
File: FattyMark.png (655 KB, 602x599) Image search: [Google]
FattyMark.png
655 KB, 602x599
Look at this fat fuck

Maybe if he keeps shoveling food in his mouth he won't have to hurt peoples fee-fees
>>
>>61920741
Did you?!?! I was just yanking your chain you boring cunt. Grow up and learn to banter with a real man. Fuck, this board has died today.
>>
>>61920918
google his name and that's half of what comes up
i've posted plenty of quotes from different media outlets itt already
i can't make you read it, and you seem to be as delusional as the other fanboys here
>>
>>61921191
Haha, look at you go!
You better stop with all this "real man" banter because you are edging and you don't want to make a mess of your sweatpants.
>>
Bullshit. Mark rambles about random shit that happens in his life over boring, uninventive, repetitive shoegaze instrumentals just because "well since you liked Benji I'll just tell you random stories!"

Fragile is lovely, though.
>>
>>61921191
wow Sun Kil Moon fans think being an asshole and being funny are interchangeable just like Mark does

that shit flies when you're in middle school, but at a certain point most people grow up
>>
>>61921695

holy shit you autists act like Mark is out murdering and raping people, but I bet you have no problem with all the retarded shit artists like Kanye do huh?

it sounds like you're in middle school, well let me give you some advice, when you grow up you're gonna meet a lot of assholes, some of them will be your bosses, some of them will be your co-workers, and some of them will make great music like Mark.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.