[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 12
>Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not is 10 years old this month

Where does the time go?
>>
I remember hating it when it came out, like the angsty little metalhead edgelord I was. Then I actually listened to it and I was like...wow, this guy can write songs.
>>
Ten years ago. A great debut album (although massively overhyped). A band that came from obscurity to Number 1 and immediately entered into the public consciousness. First band since Oasis to do so.

"We'll end it before it gets big, man"

Ten years on and this bunch of overhyped busted flushes are still churning out shitty albums and dressing up like extras from Grease. Even more unforgivably, Alex Turner is responsible for bringing the contrived, untalented loser that is Miles Kane to fame and recognition

The Arctics debut was a moment in time which passed very quickly. The fact they are still going and still hyped is testament to how shit modern day music really is
>>
I love how it's bolded on rym with score below 3.5
>>
>>61687896
Exactly this. It does very much sound like an album of it's time, similar to The Libertines, Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party and other mid-2000s NMEcore bands, but at least it had charm, wit and energy. Plus View From The Afternoon, A Certain Romance and From The Ritz To The Rubble are absolute belters.

Their newer stuff is just shitty teenage Tumblrina pandering coke riddled crap. They've become a shitty QOTSA/Black Keys tribute band, fronted by a glorified Elvis Impersonator. Kinda ironic that Alex has now become everything he professed to hate in Fake Tales of San Francisco.

This album was deserving of it's hype, AM wasn't because it is their worst album by a mile.

(Humbug is my personal favourite)
>>
>>61687961
I really miss NME core, it was the last time British rock music has been relevant
>>
>>61687896
>The fact they are still going and still hyped is testament to how shit modern day music really is

They were looking to go the way of The Strokes before AM, becoming more and more irrelevant since their seminal debut album. I recall Suck It And See getting mixed reviews. Then all of a sudden the NME decided that they were the second coming of Christ and that AM was the greatest album of all time.
>>
>>61688000

Franz, Kaiser Chiefs, Bloc Party, Kooks etc etc etc

Garbage that doesn't stand close to the bands Britain produced every decade pre-2000
>>
>>61688000
NMEcore's still around, just that these days it's mostly comprised of emotional hipster shite like Wolf Alice, Peace and Catfish and the Bottlemen.
>>
>>61688000
What replaced NMEcore? As an American, it's different for us, but now I don't notice any good bands coming out of the UK.
>>
>>61688039
Franz Ferdinand still produce good music though

Their last album with Sparks was great
>>
>>61688039
Kaiser Chiefs were great, what the fuck happened?
>>
>>61688047
Nothing, Brits became cucks to USA an the charts are full of American music

>>61688039
First Bloc Party and Maximo Park albums were good
>>
>>61688049
Franz Ferdinand Sparks was GOAT
>>
>>61688039
Franz's first album was brilliant, it was unique, quirky and one of the leading records of that era.

Kaiser Chiefs were a bit cheesy but a fun band, and good live.

Bloc Party were decent enough, had some good hits.

I'll give you The Kooks, they were terrible.

Also Maximo Park, The Rakes and The Futureheads were great.

I'd take all those bands over the shit that NME's hyping up these days. Like, I don't understand how it's possible to be human being and at the same time think Swim Deep are good.
>>
>>61688047
"Soft Grunge", the kids are calling it. Peace, Swim Deep, Wolf Alice, Circa Waves, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Palma Violets, etc.

Palma Violets are actually a good band, but the rest is fucking terrible. Soppy Indie shite.
>>
>>61688041
Fuck I never heard of those, I ยด'm really out of touch

>>61688047
NME tried to hype Royal Blood but they failed
>>
GET OFF THE BANDWAGON, PUT DOWN THE HANDBOOK
>>
>>61688083
Kaiser Chiefs are fun live, saw them open for Weezer like 10 years ago. The Futureheads were very good, but they kind of got boring later on, especially that shit acapella album.
>>
>>61688041
>>61688108
Never heard of any of these bands. Feel like >>61688109
>>
I unironically adore Humbug
>>
Worst British Indie bands of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ABNEjPxWEg [Embed]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXQOfXkLY_s [Embed]

Even NME disliked them
>>
It's not that bad, UK still got Wild Beasts and Everything Everything
>>
>>61688108

>BROTHER
>"The return of the great British guitar band"

I also recall The Ordinary Boys being called the next Oasis every fucking week and Preston described as some kind of modern day Morrissey-esque genius

>NME hype
>Not even once
>>
>>61688109
They've done alright for themselves, their first album got to number 1. One of the better current bands, even if they've just ripped off QOTSA, RATM, The White Stripes and Origin of Symmetry era Muse.
>>
>>61687575

its weird that people appreciate this album still

I used to really like it but now I kinda hate it to be honest
>>
File: Unknown.jpg (22 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
Unknown.jpg
22 KB, 194x259
>>61688181

Forgot cover. Fuck the NME
>>
>>61688161
Ha, knew one of those links would be Viva Brother. I actually liked them and saw them during their brief period of existence. No worse than other LAD bands like The Courteeners or The Enemy.
>>
>>61688161
>>61688181
>>61688205

BECAUSE HER BIRTHDAY'S IN
>>
>>61688213
>The Enemy

Oh God I fucking hate that band, they ripped off multiple famous songs on that album, how did they get away with it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJAr1a5DwDI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu3cz_4IWlM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvrDa_SsXK4

Also this review is hilarious
http://thequietus.com/articles/08813-the-enemy-streets-in-the-sky-review
>>
I'd still take landfill indie over butt rock, pop punk and poptimism
>>
>10 years
Jesus I remember listening to this while mowing lawns as a kid
>>
>>61688243
Gimme the Sign completely stole from Found That Soul by the Manics. What I wonder is, if a band wanted to rip the Manics off, why would they choose a song from one of their worst albums?
>>
>60s

Beatles
Stones
The Who

>70s

Bowie
Led Zep
Sex Pistols

>80s

The Smiths
Joy Division
The Jam

>90s

Oasis
Blur
Pulp

>00s

Libertines
Arctic Monkeys
Kasabian

>10s

I literally have no idea

I stopped reading the NME about 7 years ago. British music has been in slow decline since the mid-90s. The 2000s bands are utter shite compared to what went before
>>
>>61688325

Found That Soul is a great tune imo. But you're right, the album was pretty shit by their standards
>>
>>61688325
Well that's one of the better songs on the album

Even funnier thing is that Paul Weller unironically hyped them
>>
>>61688334
Kasabian were shit
>>
>>61687575
Where did the good Arctic Monkeys go?
>>
>>61688374

Kind of my point. Look at those bands pre-2000. The 90s weren't an abundance of brilliance but Oasis/Blur were great British bands. In the space of less than a decade the likes of fucking Kasabian were the best the UK had to offer
>>
>>61688334
osais, blur and the jam were shit too
>>
>>61688374
>>61688400
s/t and WRPLA were good

I like the fact that thery dedicated Club Foot to Czech student who self-immolated
>>
>>61688412
>le blur is shit maymay
>>
>tfw you unironically liked The Wombats

Saw them live and they were fun as fuck
>>
>>61688400
>The 90s weren't an abundance of brilliance
Says the millenial who wasn't there. It was party central up until 1997.
>>
>>61688400
Oasis and Blur weren't the best the UK had to offer in the 90s. Radiohead, Pulp and the Manics were putting out much better albums while those two were in their prime.
>>
>>61687961
this band is so fucking dead. If you want a song like Pretty Visitors again you might as well make it yourself because the Arctic Monkeys are a fucking joke now. It sucks.
>>
>>61688492

>tfw born in 1982
>tfw saw Cast live in '96
>tfw saw Oasis live in '97
>tfw saw Manics live in '98

Try again
>>
>>61688334
As an American (>inb4 shit taste), the idea that Kasabian could be popular simply blows my mind. I can't find anything even meme-worthy in their transcendently bland music.
>>
>>61688714
>I can't find anything even meme-worthy in their transcendently bland music.

Really? The lyrics to Eez-Eh was a pretty big maymay a few years ago

HORSE MEAT IN BURGERS, PEOPLE COMMITTING MURDERS, EVERYONE'S ON BUGLE, WE'RE BEING WATCHED BY GOOGLE
>>
>you will never be a 20 year old in 2007 at a festival seeing the arctic monkeys with your girlfriend after learning about them on mtv

feels fucking bad
>>
>>61688836
You're not missing out on much, I saw them at Leeds in '09 and they were fucking appalling. Completely blown off the stage by The Prodigy who were on before them.
>>
>>61688714

Post-90s, the "lad" band culture that was headed up by Oasis and a myriad copycat bands disappeared and all of a sudden the British music scene was all about skinny hipsters into bands like The Libertines. Kasabian were the only vaguely 90s influenced band who could fill the lad band vacuum with their musical drudgery and "attitude". Oasis gave them a leg up and so scores of disillusioned blokes in parkas decided to get on the Kasabian bandwagon. Likewise, The Enemy.

Their first few albums had some good singles but they have always been the most formulaic of bands to the point of total self-parody. They seemed to miss the point that the whole reason lads were into Oasis et al in the 90s was because they were relatable and, love them or hate them, released anthemic tunes that people could rally around. Who the fuck can relate to Serge Pizzorno dressed in a cape singing nonsensical, surreal rubbish over a drum loop?

Thankfully they seem to have had their day
>>
>>61687961
Do I Wanna Know is the best rock song of the decade though
>>
>>61688901
Top bait. It's a slow, plodding, repetitive piece of coked up bullshit. Genuinely one of the worst songs they've written.
>>
>>61688836

>tfw you will never be a 20 year old in 1970, dropping acid and seeing Hendrix and The Who with your topless girlfriend at the Isle of Wight festival

>tfw you will never be a 20 year old in 1977, pogoing at a Sex Pistols gig and spitting in the face of someone elses girlfriend
>>
>>61688898
I get what you're saying, but Oasis lyrics are also nonsensical rubbish. It's like Noel just scribbled them down at the last minute.
>>
>>61688039
Bloc Party is the shit, fuck outta here.
>>
>>61688948

Not like Kasabian though. I'm a big, big Oasis fan but I'll admit lyrically they were never great. It was more about the sense of optimism and feelgood nature of the music with Oasis. With Kasabian, its just "edgy" surreal nonsense with no relatable elements at all.

>It's like Noel just scribbled them down at the last minute

He often did. Supersonic was written about 10 minutes before they recorded it. And he openly admits many of his lyrics don't mean shit and that they are just a vehicle for his melodies
>>
i miss this album just because i didn't find any of the later stuff to have the same energy.

Whatever just makes me want to go and get shitfaced, or fight or something. It's just got that raw energy.

Another band i think had lightning in a bottle in a similar way is Enter Shikari. Just figured i'd bring it up here because theres a few people who like british music here. Not that Common Dreads was bad but nothing they've done since TTTS has had the same consistency, songwriting and i miss the Rou singing about wierd shit rather than just shouting about politics
>>
>>61687575
decent 8/10

GOAT
>>
>>61688179
Savages are also really good esp. live. Nothing original but still enjoyable.
>>
>>61688836
>You will never be a 20 year old in 1993 doing E at a rave in Essex, dancing to acid-house with your body-painted girlfriend on your shoulders

why even live?
>>
>>61688000
I remember everyone in school having an alex turner posters in their locker and I'm glad those times are never coming back
>>
>>61689195

>tfw you will never be a 20 year old in 2016, taking Instagram shots of your girlfriend taking a selfie at a Swim Deep gig
>>
The Vines
The Cooper Temple Clause
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
The Hives
The Strokes
The White Stripes

Early 2000s was the shit, man
>>
>>61689295

Only one of those bands is British
>>
>>61688083
this anon is right, although i've not heard any Rakes and only heard the Futureheads Hounds of Love cover. It's all stuff you'd only really listen to for old time sake, bar MAYBE franz ferdinand.
>>
>>61689325
They're all awesome
>>
>>61688039
>all those nme bands having at one "wuh oh oh" moment in the song
>the futureheads basing a kate bush cover around it

I'm so glad this meme is dead
>>
>>61687896
Favourite Worst Nightmare had a few good tracks, but everything after is total shite.
>>
I'm from Birmingham. We've literally only ever produced one truly great band and that was Sabbath

It saddens me that Peace and Swim Deep, who are both from the city, are now considered as some of the best the UK currently has to offer. Birmingham is a shithole that never produces decent bands yet now we have 2 ridiculously overhyped, god awful NMEcore shit ones around at the same time. And everyone thinks they are wonderful
>>
>>61688901
i really hope this is bait
or
that rolling stone's editor in chief browses mu
>>
was 9 when this came out. Great memories of my dad having the cd in his car on the way to school every day
>>
>>61689464
>Birmingham
You got Justin Broadrick and his bands
And Esoteric
>>
I'm pretty sure 90% of bands mentioned ITT had a song in The Inbetweeners
>>
>>61689518

Come on man, I'm talking about mainstream bands not shit like Napalm Death. It has its place of course but Brum has never produced a truly, critically acclaimed and influential band other than Sabbath.

Judas Priest and UB40 can fuck off. So can the shit half of Duran Duran.

Birmingham was, however, the birthplace of Bonham and Plant. So we deserve some credit for that. We literally invented Heavy Metal
>>
>>61689543
and some were in Skins lel

but that show namedropped Godflesh and used a Stars of the Lid track too
>>
>>61689464
Why do those bands attempt the whole "grunge" look yet sound like generic Foals rip-offs?
>>
Still as shit as the day it came out.
>>
>>61689405

A-WO-OH-OHHHHH
A-WO-OH-OHHHHH
OHHHHHHH UH UH OH OH OH OH

How the fuck did that shit even start to become a thing? It won't go away either
>>
>>61689616

Because they come from Birmingham, a city that is usually a good 5 years off the pace of the rest of the UK music scene, populated mainly by students who all have access to the same solitary, overpriced vintage store
>>
>>61688205
>get hyped for months by NME
>only receive 5/10 for their shitty album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXQOfXkLY_s
>>
>>61689753

Disbanded and became a synth pop duo.

They were literally a boyband. Some bright spark thought a Britpop revival was due so they got these prats, dressed them in anoraks and shot some early-Oasis style moody photography. Gave them a Britpoppy sounding name and paid the NME to shill them until the inevitable flash in the pan was over
>>
>>61688881
tbf most bands would be demolished by the Prodigy
>>
This to Humbug is GOAT
>>
lead singer of this band alpha widowed some chick. The girl left him for an older man when they were 18. 3 years later hes a platinum selling artist and she wants him back. lmao
>>
>>61687961
This
>You're not from New York City you're from Rotherham
Alex seems to forget despite his sudden phase and forced accent, he's not some American rock n roller, he's a spotty lad from Sheffield.
>>
>>61688062
People got bored of the "wooooo....wooooooahhhh..... WOOOOAHHHHHH" in every fucking song.
>>
>>61688155
Humbugs definitely their best. More interesting psychedelic riffs and Alex's songwriting sky rockeyed. Crying Lightning and Pretty Visitors are definitely in my Top 10 Arctic Monkeys song list.
>>
>>61690221

He clearly has yet to get off the bandwagon, or indeed, for that matter, put down the handbook
>>
Where i can download the album?
>>
>>61689841
Remember when the NME tried to make out that they and The Vaccines were spearheaded a new movement called 'Gritpop'? Kek.
>>
>>61688062
Fantastic live though. They were at a mini festival I went to earlier this year, absolutely nobody, including myself, gave a shit about them but they gradually got the whole crowd into it.
>>
Bitches don't know bout my 2003 NME Nu-Rock Revolution

>The Datsuns
>The Beatings
>The Von Bondies
>The Bravery
>The Darkness

Truly the zeitgeist. Heady days, indeed
>>
>They don't listen to Temples or UMO
plebs
>>
>>61688243
really fucking cringey lot, them. "there is no left, there is no right, new labour's a joke, just another thatcherite"

move over dylan
>>
>>61688325
>BRAIN-DEAD MOTHER-FUCKERS BRAIN-DEAD MOTHER-FUCKERS BRAIN-DEAD MOTHER-FUCKERS BRAIN-DEAD MOTHER-FUCKERS BRAIN-DEAD MOTHER-FUCKERS BRAIN-DEAD MOTHER-FUCKERS BRAIN-DEAD MOTHER-FUCKERS BRAIN-DEAD MOTHER-FUCKERS BRAIN-DEAD MOTHER-FUCKERS
>>
"WE'LL END IT BEFORE IT GETS REET BIG, MAN. WE'LL NEVER GO TO AN AWARDS SHOW OR OWT LIKE THAT. DON'T BELIEVE THE AHHHHYPE"

>10 years
>5 albums
>1 side project
>1 movie soundtrack
>Multi millionaire
>Celebrity girlfriends
>Brit Awards
>Dresses like an Elvis impersonator for attention

At least have the bollocks to just admit you want to be rich and famous the same as everyone else. There is no shame in it.

Arsehole
>>
>>61690927
Von Bondies were interesting, everybody else was shit or gimmicky. What happened to all these bands?!
>>
>>61691135
he probably meant it at the time. the manics said they were only gonna make one album
>>
>>61689753
started cringing as soon as i saw the grim urban landscape in the video. the whole "normal working class lads in a band" thing is so overdone and contrived. song's alright i guess.
>>
>>61691184

Manics said it tongue in cheek though and were unashamedly intent on stardom. They ironically said they'd make one double album, sell 18 million copies and then quit. That was never their real intention. The Arctic Monkeys genuinely acted like they were averse to fame and fortune and Turners's po-faced, faux indignation at the mass hype surrounding them was clearly nonsense
>>
>>61689464
i'm from reading - you'd think we'd have produced something more than slowdive given the festival is here. slowdive are decent but no one who isn't into shoegaze has heard of them (so basically no one has heard of them).

we're due one, surely? so that almost definitely means my band will be headline festival in a few years.
>>
>>61691266
from everything nicky has said in recent years it seems they genuinely only intended to make one album, and it wasn't until a few months after generation terrorists they realised it wasn't actually that good and they could do much better.

never really understood the hate for alex turner, seems like a genuine guy to me
>>
>tfw you'll never be a 00s teen craving to titfuck Meg White while she maidenly moans
>>
>>61690927
>The Darkness

Top kek, what a band

I CAN'T GET RID OF YOU
>>
>>61691389
>Generation Terrorists
>Not their best album after The Holy Bible

Fuck outta here, GT is elder tier.
>>
>>61691447
It has too much filler
>>
>>61691101
THEN WE CAN DRINK SOME OCEAN SPRAY
>>
File: 1.jpg (328 KB, 774x1037) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
328 KB, 774x1037
Brother must be the most contrived attempt to try and coin in on an anticipated era revival ever. And the NME was more than happy to hype the fuck out of them just to sell a few more copies

Even the way they spoke in interviews was carefully orchestrated to try and make them sound like working class ruffians. Oasis were genuine council estate scumbags. Brother were fucking grammar school ponces

They now go by the name Lovelife and are a generic synth outfit. Pathetic.
>>
>>61691465
Eh, get rid of Tennessee, Damn Dog, Crucifix Kiss, Methadone Pretty, Spectators of Suicide and the US version of Repeat, and remove the 80s Hair Metal sounding reverb in favour of a more raw Punk style production which would have suited their sound a lot more, and you have an outstanding album
>>
>>61691447
for me a lot of it kind of blends into one, aside from like 5 or 6 songs. none of it is bad and might have stood out more had they cut a few songs out. stuff like methadone pretty, repeat, natwest etc are decent songs but they could easily have been b-sides. i much preter everything must go and journal for plague lovers.

condemned to rock and roll is fucking great though
>>
File: band1_4.png (281 KB, 620x462) Image search: [Google]
band1_4.png
281 KB, 620x462
>>61691536

WORKING CLASS HEROES
>>
>>61691536
Being from Manchester myself, Burnage is far from the worst part of the city. Obviously the Gallaghers aren't from a particularly rich background, but they hardly spent their childhood on the streets either.

Also Ian Brown grew up in Timperley which is as "upper class" as Manchester gets, yet he's also made out to be a working class hero who had a tough upbringing.

Happy Mondays were from Little Hulton though, which is a genuine shithole. Morrissey and Marr grew up in some pretty dodgy areas too.
>>
>>61691589
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famous_First_Words_(Viva_Brother_album)

those reviews tho....
>>
>>61691630

Liam and Noel were born in Longsight
>>
>>61687575
Thank god those times are gone, i still have nightmares with GB flags randomly slapped in everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjWXen-Niqc
>>
>>61691447
>>61691465
>>61691557
>>61691558

DON'T WANNA SEE YOUR FACE

DON'T WANNA HEAR YOUR WORDS

WHY DON'T YOU JUST
>>
>>61691662
But spent most of their upbringing in Burnage.
>>
File: All-the-Young-006.jpg (24 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
All-the-Young-006.jpg
24 KB, 460x276
Throwing another overhyped, Britpop "revival" band into the mix here

Remember All The Young? They signed a 6 album deal with Warner. The single "Welcome Home" was actually pretty decent, enough to make me check out the album. Then you realise that was literally the only decent song they had. When a band uses their debut single as their big album closer its never a good sign imo

Sunk without trace
>>
>>61689888
The Prodigy weren't even that great, that's the thing. They were just two middle aged men jumping around the stage for an hour, yelling ALL MY FUCKING PEOPLE and MY FUCKING LEEDS WARRIORS, but they put on a better show than the turgid shite that followed.

Radiohead were far and away the highlight of that year. Fucking immense show, and I wasn't even a fan before I watched them. Within weeks I was listening to nothing else but OK Computer.
>>
>>61691709

>Be in my mid-20s circa 2005/06
>Every weekend the clubs were full of 18 year old "indies" hysterically screaming along to The Wombats and Pigeon Detectives
>First time I ever felt old as fuck

What a flash in the pan all that garbage was. Sadly, things have gotten even worse. Fuck it, I'm in my 30s now. Just leave me alone with my Britpop and 60s/70s classic albums
>>
>no one's posted Swim Deep or Slaves yet
>>
>>61691710

NATWEST

NATWEST BARCLAYS MIDLANDS LLOYDS

BLACK HORSE APOCALYPSE

DEATH SANITISED THROUGH CREDIT
>>
>>61691744

Still not exactly rural Bucks though is it?

Fucking love the Mondays though. Dodgy, dodgy bastards
>>
>>61692387
MY MIND IS DEAD

EVERYBODY LOVES ME
>>
>>61692971
Not exactly, but decent enough. It's close to the studenty parts of the city like Fallowfield and Didsbury.

South Manchester in general is pretty comfy, apart from Moss Side, Longsight, Wythenshawe and Hulme.
>>
>>61693050

H BOMB THE ONLY THING THAT WILL BRING A FREEDOM TO LIFE

UNDERNEATH THE BLUE SKIES BEAUTIFUL EMPTY DYING

NAGASAKI DOLLS ARE BURNING
>>
>>61693050
LIPS I'VE KISSED JUST ANOTHER PLAGUE

LOVE CAN'T FIX THE HOLE THEY MADE
>>
File: british-sea-power-photos-1.jpg (216 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
british-sea-power-photos-1.jpg
216 KB, 1024x768
Anyone remember them? One of the few actually good post-punk revival bands

They never got the attention they deserved
>>
>>61693164

BSP, decent band for sure. A strange bunch but seemed genuinely disinterested in NME hype or fame. I would say their music is too leftfield for that anyway

Remember Me was a fucking great single. Saw them live once, supporting Manics funnily enough
>>
File: The-Cribs.jpg (137 KB, 1152x768) Image search: [Google]
The-Cribs.jpg
137 KB, 1152x768
>129 posts
>no mention of the true based yorkshire band
>>
File: cover.jpg (42 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
42 KB, 600x600
Thoughts on Editors? The first 2 albums were nice Interpol-lite indie rock, the next 2 were pretty meh, but the new one is surprisingly good again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM4joaqNxf0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgy4EHyG94M
>>
>>61693225

I KNOW A PLACE WE CAN GO
>>
>>61693246
OPEN ALL THE BOXES
>>
>>61693245

I was at University with them, pre-record deal. They were known as Snowfield then.

Never been a fan
>>
>>61693225

>Listening to Mens Needs, Womens Needs, Whatever on the coach on the way up to visit my girlfriend at Uni

Fuck, they were good times. A band I had no place ever liking, far too "indie" for me (if you know what I'm getting at). But one of those albums that had a personal meaning and very much of its time

>tfw no gf or inspiring indie music in your life
>>
>>61693225

Saw them live in October last year, real good stuff
>>
>>61693342
yeah, i hate most of that nme endorsed indie shite from the previous decade but that is a very good album
>>
>>61693280

First song on that album is about how shit The Pigeon Detectives were

You can't really go wrong from there
>>
>>61690927
GET YOUR HANDS OFFA MY WOMAN MOTHERFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>61691171

They were the pinnacle of the NU ROCK REVOLUTION. Never forget that
>>
File: Queen.jpg (39 KB, 400x421) Image search: [Google]
Queen.jpg
39 KB, 400x421
This is now a Darkness thread.
>>
>>61693680

I believe in a thing called love was a guilty pleasure (although a ridiculous song) Great riff too

That Christmas song they did was good in an ironic Christmas song kind of way

Pity that Justin Hawkins thought they were actually a serious act that deserved serious critical acclaim. Ever see that scene in the Lemmy film when he takes the piss out of him?
>>
>>61693734
When I was 17 I went to T in The Park 2002, which was due to be headlined by none other than David Bowie. Day before the festival he was rushed to hospital for emergency heart surgery. GUESS WHO THEY BUMPED UP INTO THE HEADLINE SLOT....
>>
>>61693806

What a result...
>>
File: justin.jpg (25 KB, 220x300) Image search: [Google]
justin.jpg
25 KB, 220x300
>>61693880
>>
>>61693680
GUITAR!
>>
>>61693680
Their debut was the first album I've ever bought.
I was 12 and in love with 70s rock/hard rock, it was pretty fun back then desu, but I remember that the sigle off their 2nd album was a disappointment. Haven't listened to them since.
Je ne regrette rien.
>>
>>61693930

Fun Fact: Justin Hawkins was a jobbing songwriter before The Darkness were big. He wrote a jingle called "Shlomp" which was used in an IKEA ad campaign.
>>
>>61693680
YOU GOT ME IN A SPIN
>>
THAT DOG DON'T GIVE A FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
>>
I'M GIVIN UP
GIVIN UP
GIVIN A FUUUUUUCK
>>
>>61687813
>this guy can write songs.
Turner was a great songwriter, I wonder what the fuck happened around 2011 or 2012
>>
>>61687961
>(Humbug is my personal favourite)
agreed friend
>>
>>61690351
literally anywhere on the internet, it's impossible not to find it
>>
>>61695188
BLACK SHUCK
>>
>>61696999
Suck It And See and AM may have had a lot of filler, but the good tracks were still good.
>>
It's mediocre as all hell, but I've always had a soft spot for A Certain Romance and Riot Van.
>>
>>61697864
you are my boy . these and fake tales of sf were the shit
>>
>>61697864
riot van is the only one i don't like. feels kinda try hard, ya know?
>>
>>61688901
one for the road*
FTFY
>>
>>61687896
>testament to how shit modern day music really is
Oh fuck off you angsty cunt.
>>
File: 71g5lRHoJKL._SL1225_.jpg (196 KB, 1225x1209) Image search: [Google]
71g5lRHoJKL._SL1225_.jpg
196 KB, 1225x1209
>>61687961
pretty visitors onto jeweller's hands is one of the best final legs to an album of its type.

how do you go from this to AM
>>
>>61697990
listen to the demo version, it's actually 100x better
>>
>>61697519
Not consistenly good
It's like he's lazy or whatever, he's still got it inside him but he'd rather pull off another brick by brick than a piledriver waltz
Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.