[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Progressive Rock
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: BASEDNEAL.jpg (245 KB, 550x375) Image search: [Google]
BASEDNEAL.jpg
245 KB, 550x375
Thesis: Neal Morse is the greatest prog rock musician ever.

Between Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, and his solo stuff, he has so much amazing prog stuff. It is incredible.
>>
>>53547107
he's definitely the most prolific prog rock player in the game right now. but most of his stuff, especially lately, kinda sounds the same.
>>
>>53547122
I've been listening to The Grand Experiment. It definitely has his sound, but there is enough new stuff that makes it great. His cover of MacArthur Park is incredible.
>>
I need some help with some album influences.

First of all, the two best Symphonic Prog albums have a very similar sound, yet they were released almost at the same time (Yes' Close to the Edge, and Premiata Forneria Marconi's Per un Amico).
What's that hidden influence? Where did any of those albums get their influences (since their preceding albums were very different).

Also, what were the influences of Magma's Kobaia?
Zappa? Soft Machine? Stravinsky?

>>53547107
Tim Smith > Robert Fripp > Tatsuya Yoshida > Neal Morse
>>
>>53548186
That's difficult as there is a small mountain of shit that dropped between 70 and 71 that is highly influential. I mean this is the time where everything from Maggot Brain to Bitches Brew, Aerosmith, Sabbath, fucking everything was coming out.

For the sake of argument, I'll say it was In the Court of the Crimson King.
>>
>>53548349
But In The Court and the other two albums are a different kind of Symphonic, if that makes sense.
The thing is, both albums are so similar (especially in the use of the voices), that they must have had the same influence, and I don't know what it is. King Crimson's Lizard might be, but I haven't heard it yet.
>>
>>53547122
>>53547148
TGE is actually way better than I was expecting. It's weird, all his albums kinda sound the same and and really unadventurous, and yet I kinda grow to love each of them in their own way. Transatlantic is despised on this board but, hell, it's really fun music which doesn't pretend to be anything other than the ELP of this generation.

>>53548421
Lizard is a weird one. It's got stuff that sounds like the Beatles, stuff that sounds like Yes (probably because of the Jon Anderson cameo) and stuff that sounds like Jethro Tull. Not much that sounds like KC though. Probably my second-least favourite pre-80s KC album.
>>
>>53548497
Yeah, but was it influential on Yes' CttE and PFT's PuA?
I need to find the missing link between the two.
>>
>>53548497
I had the same thoughts about TGE. I was expecting to be disappointed, but I was really surprised. I've seen some people who really despise Agenda, but I kinda liked it. And, its growing on me with each listen.
>>
we all know it's Steven Wilson
HCE is gonna take AOTY spot
>>
>>53548547
Yes, it was most likely very influential on CTTE for obvious reasons. I don't know PF well though so couldn't tell you about that.

>>53548583
Yeah, Agenda was an interesting one. Well, interesting by Morse standard anyway. There are moments in his catalogue where he tries something slightly different and kinda fails, and other moments (like the main refrain of Kaleidoscope) where he just lapses into full-Born-Again-Morse-mode and it's kinda cringey but also fucking glorious.

>>53548622
I was excited about HCE until I heard the first two tracks. Oh well, I guess they might be the only bad ones. TRTRTS will be very difficult to top.
>>
>>53548682
Weird how he chose two least prog tracks as lead singles
From reviews Ancestral is supposed to be the best track
>>
File: progg.jpg (1 MB, 1323x839) Image search: [Google]
progg.jpg
1 MB, 1323x839
i've started branching out from swedish prog slightly and so far i've dug van der graaf generator, T2 and brainticket
recs would be extremely appreciated

posting my chart again though, and if anyone has suggestions i'm all ears

and to contribute to the discussion i'll nominate bo anders persson for the greatest progman ever
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.