[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Purity Ring
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: Another Eternity 2.png (1024 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Another Eternity 2.png
1024 KB, 900x900
Let's discuss this monstrosity /mu/.

Worst album of 2015 so far? Wasn't expecting much after hearing push pull, but jesus, this is astoundingly bad.

No distinguishable melodies, no hooks, brostep-teir production, uninventive sound design.

Link: https://mega.co.nz/#!2t9ExDJS!FHEEvJXwOEagsJuI6QmV52xdpmCf1257yQcEQ9_P97Y
>>
I liked it. Far from the worst album of the year.
>>
Haven't listened to it yet but I loved Shrines even though all the tracks sounded pretty much the same.
>>
>>53359694
Nowhere near as bad as you're making it out to be imo. I'll give you that it verges on brostop-tier production at points, but I don't think there's really any denying that it sounds very pretty and massive. Just because the production style is associated with shit music doesn't make it shit music.

I feel like it's about on-par with Shrines in terms of memorable melodies. Shrines definitely made a bigger impact on first listen, but I only ever really found myself coming back to a few tracks
>Fineshrine
>Crawlersout
>Shuck
>Lofticries
Honestly I think there will be a similar level of lasting power on Another Eternity. Like Shrines everything SOUNDS very nice and pretty and there is enough interesting melody on a few tracks to keep them in rotation but yeah it's no masterpiece
>>
Dude, way to knee-jerk reaction. It isn't bad if you actually decided to stop and listen to it.
>>
>>53359694
i dont know if i like it yet. have to give it a few more listens
>>
>Bodyache
>Stranger Than Earth
>Dust Hymn
>Flood On the Floor
>Sea Castle
All glorious tracks. Shrines whispers where Another Eternity fucking screams.
>>
File: joey likes foot trifle.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
joey likes foot trifle.gif
2 MB, 360x270
I only just discovered purity ring
Just listening to the album now

Pic related
>>
>>53360063
You forgot Repetition
>>
I'm really enjoying it so far, it sounds cleaner than Shrines but not bad
>>
Probably not the WORST album of the year but definitely a 4/10
>>
>>53360119
That one too, they just released it officially too
>It was all forlorn if only for a season
mmmmmmmmmmmm
>>
sounds like a distilled even more radio friendly version of shrines and i digged shrines
>>
easily 7/10
>>
feeling a light 8
>>
Skeptical of this. As far as I am concerned they will never write a better song than Lofticries.
>>
>>53360975
But Fineshrine is their best song anon
>>
>>53361009
You are one of my favorite trips, faraday but that anon is right.
>>
>>53359694
I love the album, shrines was better but this is still very good. Great production. 7.9-8.5/10
>>
>>53361074
I guess we just gotta agree to disagree then man
Fave track on Another Eternity so far?
>Flood on the Floor
>>
>>53359694
Is Purity Ring supposed to be witch house? I listened to Shrines on a rec and was totally unimpressed. Shit isn't even remotely spooky.
>>
>>53361247
They're like Witch-pop
>>
>>53361303
Fair enough.
>>
by no means is it astoundingly bad, its just painfully underwhelming in many ways, its got this satisfaction factor yes, but it doesnt stimulate that part of you hard enough, its enjoyable and has JUST enough interesting sounds to hold your interest a bit through each song, there are many moments where i feel like there is gonna be a progression to a hard hitting memorable moment and it sorta falls flat most every time

i want to not have this be the point of my criticism but i feel like there isnt something in the choruses and the verse moments that has a peak, maybe it needed to be louder or shinier in places but its missing those features, its sorta like walking along a boardwalk, nice enough and all

its gonna be a huge breakthrough album for them though, which is ok i guess
>>
Can anybody zippy this plz? College wifi blocks mega and torrent sites
>>
yea I'm feeling a strong 4 to light 5
idk very poppy compared to shrines and theres not a lot of diversity between tracks
>>
I don't wanna judge it against Shrines because they weren't really trying to make Shrines again or even really do Shrines better. This album is its own entity, and I feel like it should be treated as such.

This album is definitely pretty radio friendly, but I think that's really where it shines. Megan's voice is a lot clearer, and it definitely seems like Corin had a lot of fun with the beats because there is a lot of stuff in there. Like, at first I was a little disappointed that the pitch shifted vocals and drum machine patterns so heavily present in Shrines weren't in the singles, but they actually are still there, just a lot more subdued to put Megan's voice at the forefront. This album also has a lot more diversity in the songs than Shrines, which I appreciate. The only moments I don't really like are the chorus in Flood on the Floor (or Dust Hymn, whichever one has the scratching synths when Megan is saying "I hope you're" or something) and Stranger Than Earth is a but weak. Outside of that, all the tracks are enjoyable on some level and I can't really complain. Probably give it an 8/10 right now if I had to give it a number (for reference I thought Shrines was a 9/10).
>>
both Another Enternity and Shrines are around the 7-8/10 level tbh, but go to Shrines if you want downtempo and go to Another Enternity for uptempo
>>
>>53360975
>>53361009

>explicitly stating that there is a Purity Ring song superior to Belispeak
>>
>>53364560
You realize that using poppy as an inherently negative characteristic is bullshit right?
>>
>>53364740
>what is Crawlersout
>what is Lofticries
>what is Shuck
>what is the Jon Hopkins Anemany remix
>>
>>53364779
Not entirely.
To me this album sounds like they were trying to appeal to the masses in hopes of generating profits instead of creating emotion. By recreating common radio sounds they can ensure that the majority of the population will enjoy it. nigga
>>
I used to listen to most of the songs you guys are listing sometimes, Shuck, etc, but now I've just gotten tired in general of their sound, I'll download this album and check it out but I'm not too hopeful
>>
This album really isnt bad at all. 8/10
>>
>>53360975
this

the bridge is GOAT. i watched a live version where they digitally stuttered/repeated the vocals in real time. that, plus the fact that her voice is already amazing = fucking goosebumps.
>>
these guys are just okay. i saw them live once and it was pretty disappointing tbh
>>
>>53359694

They've always just reminded me of less good Blue Hawaii.

Dust Hymn and Bodyache are best tracks, rest is quite average.
>>
this is pretty bad. doesn't hold a candle to their first.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.