[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do some smart high school students want to major in Music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1
File: music 305.jpg (67 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
music 305.jpg
67 KB, 500x400
(Note: I am talking about NON-AMERICAN countries where you can major in Medicine, Dentistry, etc as an UNDERGRADUATE)

Some high school students who got extremely good grades in their finals (i.e. good enough for Medicine in non-American countries) decide to major in Music. Why would they pick that?

It's a waste of their good marks to pick Music. The field is hard to break into. They pay is also significantly lower than many other fields. And really, all jobs become boring over time and each job has its own shitty aspects. Playing the same songs on a piano each day will become dull over time. And if you become a Music teacher, you need to deal with kids who don't give a shit about music.
>>
/ic/ copypasta
>>
>>61478191
So, my question is still relevant.
>>
>>61478167
ause I got a really big team
And they need some really big rings
They need some really nice things
Better be comin' with no strings
We need some really nice things
We need some really big rings
I got a really big team
I got a really big team
And they need some really big rings
They need some really nice things
We need some really nice things
We need some really big rings
I got a really big team
>>
>>61478209
music major here

they pay me to go to school, I have an excellent adviser and will probably get into a good doctoral program and have a cushy job as a professor at a decent uni. Pedigree is all that matters in music, but if you have, it, you're in for a pretty good ride.
>>
>>61478279
Lol what are yout chances of getting a tenured professorship job? Close to zero?
>>
Why did you make this thread again.

We gave you reasons last thread, just because you don't agree with those reasons doesn't necessarily make them invalid.
>>
>>61479398
None of the answers are satisfactory.
>>
>what is passion
making soley practical life decisions isn't going to make you happy
>>
>>61479761
Yeah, but these prople may lose passion in music over time. Really, most jobs are shit and mist people learn to dislike their jobs over time.
>>
>>61480113
Or they may not as opposed to a job that they definitely have no passion for.
Why are you so concerned with the decisions of others?

You can do a double degree or a second degree, you don't have to stick with the first degree you choose. You don't know what these people plans are.
>>
>>61478167
probably cause they realize that, no matter how much money they'd be making, it's ultimately not worth it to do something that their heart isn't fully into for the rest of their lives, lest they want to end up depressed or suicidal.

tldr it makes them happier to take a risk in music than it does to have a safe, boring career
>>
>>61478167
maybe they want to spend every day of their lives doing something they love instead of doing something that makes money?
>>
>>61480173
>second degree
Waste of time lol.
>>61480490
>tldr it makes them happier to take a risk in music than it does to have a safe, boring career
What is so bad about being a government employee though compared to a career in music?
>>61480613
>something they love
Kek most people hate their jobs over time.
>>
>>61481489
not musicians

you simply don't know any real one
>>
>>61481489
>What is so bad about being a government employee though compared to a career in music?

nothing. it's not like every smart person is pursuing a career in music. i'd bet that a lot of smart people are more passionate about politics or medicine than they are about art. the point i was getting at was that it's naive to think that it's foolish for someone to pursue their passions, regardless of how smart they might be
>>
>>61478167
>(Note: I am talking about NON-AMERICAN countries where you can major in Medicine, Dentistry, etc as an UNDERGRADUATE)
>Some high school students who got extremely good grades in their finals (i.e. good enough for Medicine in non-American countries) decide to major in Music. Why would they pick that?

Because they do not give a shit about medicine or any other major that is not music. I mean, understand that people like different things and majoring as an economist, lawyer or no-free-time-medicine-man is not on their wishlist.

>It's a waste of their good marks to pick Music. The field is hard to break into. They pay is also significantly lower than many other fields. And really, all jobs become boring over time an

And you know this because? Are you a musician? Have you learned music? Tell me, which music teacher hurt you so much that you have to be buthurt about people deciding to go into the field of music. Music is hard to break through? Really? So is medicine you fucking sperg. Every field is likely hard to break into.
And yes every job can become boring over time. Every. Ever.

>And each job has its own shitty aspects. Playing the same songs on a piano each day will become dull over time. And if you become a Music teacher, you need to deal with kids who don't give a shit about music.

You really do not understand how professional musicians work, do you? There are several jobs in the field from professional performer to composer. Hell I work as a film orchestrator so there's that and yeah its a though field to break into but if you're not completely autistic and work hard its pretty fucking easy to get connections. Just don't be a basement dweler like you and you'll be fine.
>>
>>61481518
>you simply don't know any real one
So? Doesn't change what I am trying yo say.
>>61481605
> it's naive to think that it's foolish for someone to pursue their passions, regardless of how smart they might be
The point is most people lose interest in sonething over time, so they might as well find stable, well-paid jobs are government employees, lawyers or something.
>>
>>61478273
damn...
>>
>>61481896
>film orchestrator
>uses autistic as an insult
>posts on 4chan
acquiring samples for your friend's shitty indie film isn't orchestration buddo
>>
Well i'm planning on studying medicine and i'm not exactly stupid but music is the only thing i'm interested
>>
>>61481997

I'm sorry I finished Berkley and you didn't have that opportunity. I'm gonna keep fucking qt violin bitches while you produce your latest vaporwave track in FL.
>>
>>61478167

Freedom of choice.
>>
>>61481896
>So is medicine
Nah, there is a shortage of doctors but not of musicians
>>
>>61482160

Musicianship can be freelance
>>
>>61482160
>Nah, there is a shortage of doctors but not of musicians
Are you le retarded. STEM majors are becoming the most popular majors.
>>
Why do some dumb high school anons want to create the same threads every day?
>>
>>61482220

Because there are so buthurt of majoring in music and not getting any jobs because they suck massive cock regarding their connection and can't do jackie fucking chan because they are beyond retarded that they see others as being the problem.
>>
>>61479727
all the categories are arbitrary
>>
>>61482216
Not Medicine though. You are the one making stuff up.
>>
>>61482448
Oh dear.
I read that in his voice.
>>
>>61482186
>implying you can make a living with that
>>
>>61482490
There is no shortage of doctors working for free in Africa, but in the West there is a long queue of people wanting to get into the top jobs and schools for medicine.

At my university, the music school is receiving heavy cuts.
>>
>>61482892
There is a shortage of doctors in ghetto areas
>>
>>61482919
That doesn't pay, which therefore invalidates your previous argument.
>>
old money fag here. grew up around a lot of money and gave it up to make music. i am very poor but my week beats your year. i know only pleasure.
>>
>>61481952
holy fuck listen to yourself
>Most people

Are you just trying to deny yourself the fact that you want to major in music or art? I mean seriously if your bashing something people do simply on the basis that "Most people lose interest" then you're a fucking dumbass
>>
>>61483019
This is bait
>>61483020
Most jobs are stressful and your passin will be sapped from you over time
>>
>>61483196
Not necessarily.
Guys like Steve Kilby still kick it and love it even as they age.
>>
>>61483251
Most hate their jobs over time.
>>
>>61482718

I do.
Play in variety of bands as session musician. Make music for film and theatre. Production work.

Its fucking easy
>>
>>61485124
Lol this is bait
>>
>>61485204

Sucks to be you mr waiter
>>
>>61485220
I am not a waiter
>>
>>61485474

you soulless cunt
>>
>>61485527
So?
>>
>>61484120
Then don't be most, dawg
>>
I don't know why I'm majoring in music. But it will work out somehow.
>>
>>61485724
This will inevitably happen to most people.
>>
>>61478167
Being a teacher can be extremely rewarding. I'm not one, but just showing people how music works is amazing, all ages. I really enjoy seeing their eyes light up as they grasp a concept that may seem foreign to them, but that you can clearly and simply communicate to them. Plus its information they can keep for life.

Pretty poor pasta really. too generalized and with too little insight into what studying music is like, or the jobs it leads into. With enough drive you can do whatever the fuck you like. If you want to be a world class conductor, you can, you just gotta work your ass off. Same for any job, its down to the individual and their work ethic more than the specific subject they choose to major in.
>>
>>61482123
I don't live in florida.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.