[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is rock a solved genre? Seems there hasn't been anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8
File: piero[2].jpg (14 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
piero[2].jpg
14 KB, 450x300
Is rock a solved genre? Seems there hasn't been anything truly revolutionary since the 90s.
>>
File: CXVXa5sUoAARU2L.png (206 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
CXVXa5sUoAARU2L.png
206 KB, 500x333
>>61427325
rock has been utter schmaltz since middle class white people sapped the life out of it in the mid-60s. You took this long to notice? seriously?
>>
>>61427325
Punk music was an infantile regression.

Discuss.
>>
>>61427325
More or less. Something like opera took a few hundred years to exhaust, but it happened.

Rock musicians for the most part don't have anywhere near the level of musical training or competence that opera composers had, so, they hit their limits more quickly.

It was all finished once "rap-rock" started developing in the late-90's. And then "bro rock" around the same time.

There are no real new revolutionary ideas within rock; merely rehashes of stuff that has already been done.

In other words, there is nothing being done in 2016 that would have sounded completely alien to someone in 2006. Imagine saying the same thing about 1967/1957; it's incomparable.
>>
Noise rock like Coachwhips, Psych rock like Thee Oh Sees and Garage rock like Ty Segall are all cool modern stuff

Although nobody on /mu/ actually knows fuck all about anything so this post is pointless
>>
>>61427372
>shoegaze, sludge metal, post-rock, math rock, drone metal

all from the 90s or late 80s
>>
>>61427380
I wouldn't say it's a regression; it was a development as significant as prog, though obviously in a completely different direction. This is coming from someone who largely dislikes punk, btw.
>>
>>61427428
>cool means the same thing as revolutionary
noise rock, psych rock and garage rock have all been popular since the 60s

I'll check those bands out anyway :)
>>
>>61427380
Punk rock was an embarassing but necessary step towards Post-punk, post-hardcore, math rock, shoegaze, metal and indirectly post-rock.
>>
>>61427380
>post-punk
>regression

not to mention many of rocks most important albums (TMR, TVU&Nico, WL/WH) served as precursors to punk music
>>
File: 9-11.jpg (37 KB, 650x365) Image search: [Google]
9-11.jpg
37 KB, 650x365
>>
File: mariamaaria.jpg (62 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
mariamaaria.jpg
62 KB, 800x600
>>61427464
all pretty cringe imo, my point still stands. Last decent thing to come out of rock music was the tropicalia scene in brazil and maybe Marc Bolan's early 70s albums.
>>
the problem is that we're so hung up on rock music remaining the 'default' genre for popular music that we keep stretching the classification to be inclusive of newer developments bringing it farther away from what it originally was.

think about your favorite '80s-'00s bands and whether or not you can really call them the same genre as Cream or The Kinks.
>>
>>61427507
post-punk was essentialy just recycled, sanitized dub/funk played by middle class white englishmen with art school educations, negligible talent and little understanding of the forms they were trying to imitate
>>
>>61427634
>memes catolicos
top kek
>>
>>61427684
Not all post punk was inspired by funk or dub.

>>61427646
Maybe not entirely related to your post but a lot of people are so focused on keeping rock music "pure" that anything straying even a little bit form their preconceived notions of what rock is/should be isn't considered rock by them.

Think of Gene Simmons calling everything that doesn't sound like Kiss shit.
>>
>>61427499
Punk rock is far more entertaining than most of mucore tho
>>
>>61427507
>rocks most important albums (TMR, TVU&Nico, WL/WH) served as precursors to punk music
You're not even going to mention Fun House or Raw Power?
>>
File: 6785489012.gif (316 KB, 303x280) Image search: [Google]
6785489012.gif
316 KB, 303x280
>>61427634
>memes catolicos
baiting this fucking hard...
>>
>>61427774
>rocks most important albums
I say this as somebody who likes the Stooges
>>
>>61427478
I get what you mean man, I'm guessing they are revolutionary compared to whats popular at the moment.

Anyway heres a song from each band for you senpai:

Ty Segall - Swag
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MwWCvBxjZTY

Thee Oh Sees - Meat Step Lively
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z1bHddYhtDw

Coachwhips - Hands On The Controls
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tbTWFj2SMX8
>>
>>61427380
technically perhaps, but technicality wasn't what it was about( and arguably isn't what music is about either).

i agree that punk is rocks inbred retarded cousin, but sometimes i like being retarded
>>
>>61427394
>rock being a genre with more than 50 years of creation
it will be fine
>>
sometimes it bothers me that i'll never be the pioneer of a rock subgenre
>>
I'd say Muse's unabashed melting of genres into short and simple arena rock is a pretty new idea, for western rock anyway, Japan's been doing that shit for 20 years. Although I don't really like Muse, and I don't know that it's a new genre per se.
>>
>>61428077
Idk, Muse's last few albums just sounds like a heavier Queen with some electronic influences.
>>
File: tumblr_mavsinK4DF1qj31eko1_500.jpg (49 KB, 500x369) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mavsinK4DF1qj31eko1_500.jpg
49 KB, 500x369
>>61427738
>>
>>61427596
No matter how much scientists write about this, there will always be fanatics who still believe what they want to believe. I feel this is a lost cause. Believing in conspiracy theories is a bit like being members of a religion, and proving that the conspiracy theory is wrong is like trying to prove that gods do not exist.It takes an amazing amount of fanaticism to believe these conspiracy theories.
>>
The genre itself isn't inherently solved, rock has just already served its purpose as part of our culture and it's evolution of ideas. The need we were looking for within ourselves was found with rock. On a large standard scale everything we are able to do with rock is severely diminished but the genre still has just as much room to grow as it always has.
>>
>>61428151
Well, I'm precisely talking about those. There's nothing really genre bending in their early work besides Darkshines, and even that is kind of shit. But apart from the vocals there's nothing all that Queen about them.
Regardless, that kind of disregard for genre walls is pretty rare nowadays for rock. I'd say it's a pretty new sound, even Queen's piano ballads were more showtune inspired than classical, and the electronic bits combined with the classical bits are fairly unique.

But like I said: A) Not very good and B) If all it's doing is taking from other stuff then I don't know if I'd call it a progression for rock.
>>
>>61428018
Not with that attitude!
>>
>>61427394
But rock is defined by it's style first, musical content second. As long as there are the infinite directions of style humanity can explore, rock and pop will continue to be relevant. Whether or not it's being redundant is besides the point.
>>
>>61428208
Queen used to do all that stuff though, just that in a more subtle way. Their albums are known for having a lot of genre bending.
>>
>>61427394
did you hear march of progress by viet cong? How about Battles' Mirrored?
>>
>>61430120
"Mirrored" came out in 2007; it was very much imaginable in 2006.
>>
What about Swans' recent stuff?

Is anybody else making stuff like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjqdDMgpbDU
>>
"Innovation" in all music is pretty much dead from a palette standpoint. With the advent of synthesizers and then personal computers, there's really no new sound(s) for a musician/composer to employ. So we won't see any innovative jumps between eras (i.e., going from rock that just used your basic bass/lead/drumkit setup and blues-based composition to something like Psychedelica to Prog to Kraut, etc).

This isn't a bad thing, and actually illustrates that music is "maturing." A finite number of colors doesn't prevent painters from creating new material. Now that music's color palette is basically solved (and perhaps it's not), artists can primarily focus on the best ways (per their vision/intent) to combine those colors.

Like >>61428647 said, there's practically an infinite number of directions you can take a composition.

If Rock musicians aren't "innovating," that doesn't mean the genre/sub-genres are solved, it just means they've gotten lazy.
>>
>>61430229
no one else is because it's garbage
>>
>>61430229
No one cares about a retarded old man screaming over a drumming session
>>
File: Liturgy.jpg (96 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Liturgy.jpg
96 KB, 1000x1000
>>
>>61427325
You can't really do anything revolutionary with guitar and drums
>>
>>61430625
Care to explain why? To my ears, Swans' recent stuff is some of the more interesting music in recent years

>>61430688
Gira doesn't scream in that song
>>
File: 1431232066817.png (240 KB, 320x409) Image search: [Google]
1431232066817.png
240 KB, 320x409
>>61427928
yu's right and funny
>>
>>61430616
Yeah I agree with this. Now the project, it's intent and themes is the focus, expressed through the sounds, instead of original sounds being the only intention.
>>
>>61430838
Don't even bother, they're full of shit. Probably haven't given the music a fair shake and if they have there's no reason to be a belligerent idiot about disliking it.
>>
hello reddit
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.