[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do i record music alone? I have most of the instruments i
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: kevin.jpg (345 KB, 1200x798) Image search: [Google]
kevin.jpg
345 KB, 1200x798
How do i record music alone? I have most of the instruments i need and im learning how to play the ones that are newer to me. I have a h4n zoom recorder. I just got a vocal mic. I want to record with drums, electric/acoustic guitar, and keyboard. I have no idea where to start with recording a song alone with these. I don't know how to tie them together. I also don't know how to use any audio software but i have audacity installed. Any help is appreciated!
>>
File: stills_lay_016.jpg (263 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
stills_lay_016.jpg
263 KB, 700x525
2beeH you're a lot better off doing a google search or lurking some forums elsewhere. /mu/ isn't a great place for recording advice.

Good luck anon
>>
>>61337484
thanks man! ill look around
>>
you can mic everything if you have a decent mic. If you really need a clean bass sound you can DI your electric guitar and pitch it down. or you can record your acoustic with the mic and pitch it down to get a neat cello sound.

I'd recommend you get a decent DAW like Abelton or Cubase. Their presets are 2nd to none, though they have a bit of a learning curve.

for stringing songs together, you're on your own there. Everyone has their own workflow. Personally, I like to come up with a phrase on the guitar that I can sing over and then work from there. Your approach might be totally different, though.

Gl, though, Anon.
All the best.
>>
>>61337260
There are a few interviews with Kevin Parker where he sorta explains his setup and he's probably one of the best at the moment
>>
>>61337260
Hey OP, you can try ableton if you dont have money for a mixer and "real" recording equipment. Although, the learning curve on it is relatively steep. I know Kevin uses it. I'm trying to learn it now. I've always found FL Studio to be easy to use. Try that. Also, you can mic the drums line it up in one of those programs then get yourself an audio interface to record electric/ acoustic and keyboard. But if you have an amp you can just mic that.
>>
File: H91526000001000-00-500x500.jpg (324 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
H91526000001000-00-500x500.jpg
324 KB, 500x500
Me
>metronome
>rhythm section. could be the bass, drums, rhythm guitars, or keyboards
>Overdub more rhythm
>layer textures of sounds/multi-track recordings
>then the vocals
>leads (guitars or synths or what have ya)
> Mix, Pan, Ect

Oh and this might help
comes with a usb cord and free audio interface, preloaded effects that are totally programmable and can hook up to a pa. Oh and have multiple instruments playing on it at the same time

I also use a AKG Perseption 120
>>
>>61337484

this

>>61337523

or you can just plug a bass in direct to a high impedance input and get an actual clean bass tone

OP you're probably gonna want to figure out a digital audio workstation to record in unless you're using recording to tape or something

as far as putting songs together goes it kind of just takes time attempting to put a song together and getting practice writing songs. when I was much younger I found using prerecorded instrument loops in Garage band helped me arrange musical ideas into a song with parts and sections, just practice recording music a lot and eventually you'll get a lot better at it
>>
>>61338161
>implying OP has an actual bass
>>
>>61337260
If you have a Mac, this is all you need:

Instruments
Shure SM57
Mic -> USB cable
Logic Pro X
Guitar Rig
Keyboard patches (Korg etc.)

You can get some really good sounding stuff with this setup. I think Sufjan's Michigan and Bon Iver's For Emma were recorded with only the SM57.

If you don't have a lot of effects or just want some good sounding amps, Guitar Rig is very nice. Obviously professionally mic-ing a real guitar amp is ideal, but it's not really a good option for amateur bedroom recording (unless you're specifically going for a lofi sound).

Regardless of what you choose to do, I HIGHLY recommend the SM57. It's a great relatively cheap microphone that can pretty much mic all of the things you need mic'd. Drums, guitar amps, and vocals all sound really nice when you position it correctly.
>>
I've been using a tascam 4 track for everything and I might get a digital recorder and start using both.

Also which is better Ableton or FL Studio? I've been messing around in FL and it seems cool for making drum loops but I don't know how recording everything on it would be.
>>
>>61339145
Fl Studio

imo
>>
>>61339145
All about workflow. Some people prefer one, others prefer the other.

Try both and see which you work better on. Doesn't matter what you're tool is if you can get the desired effect.
>>
Get a Neve desk and an Otari 1/2" tape recorder.

Done
>>
>>61338919
op here, i have an sm58 . will that work? i know its a vocal mic tho
>>
>>61337260
I like Kevin's feet t b h
post feet pics pls
>>
>>61339145
I use Ableton personally. It's very convenient and fast, but it's all about preference. I don't think any modern DAW is really all that limited.
DAWs are used for arranging clips of sound. You could probably produce just about any album in something more limited, like Audacity or GarageBand as well, as long as you've got the recordings.
>>
>>61339233
The SM58 is an SM57 with a different top designed to eliminate plosives (P sound distortions). So I think it would work as well.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.