[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people on here care about lyrics so much? Even the best
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: PPBliss01.jpg (528 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
PPBliss01.jpg
528 KB, 1024x768
Why do people on here care about lyrics so much? Even the best lyricists are mediocre poets. If I wanted to think about words I'd read a book. I listen to the music for the music and how the music makes me think and feel.
>>
I think you'll be pleasently suprised to find that a large majority of /mu/ kinda thinks the same way about lyrics as you do friendo
>>
>>61240434
doesn't seem that way honestly
>>
honestly I don't get why it's hard to understand

emotive music + emotive lyrics = a bigger high than each by themselves

even if the lyrics and music aren't that emotive, since the music draws people back in to listen countlesst times, the lyrics tend to be chewed on more often than if someone were reading a book

although I agree that most lyricists seem mediocre compared to poets, but having been involved in poetry communities irl over the past few years who actually get their stuff published, I'm not convinced that poets are so much more interesting that lyricists should be pushed aside

there are probably a lot more factors that play into why so many people love lyrics in music, including shallow ones

I think your view is near perfectionistic, OP
>>
It's a joke anon
>>
>>61240407

Because they're plebs, duh.
>>
>>61240407
Fell for the meme I see, Anon. /mu/ prefers Nirvana's Bleach and Insecticide over Nevermind and In Utero. Compare the lyrics.
>>
I used to be a big "the lyrics aren't important" guy and just care about the sounds when writing music myself and when i went to /mu/ but that changed, I left here, started caring about songwriting and paying attention to the art of lyrics
>>
I should add that I've read a lot of shitty poetry rife with generalizations, platitudes and pretensions
although I admit it's difficult to judge the greats

maybe there is a wide margin between the writing proficiencies of poets and lyricists, but honestly, I couldn't care less

expression ain't a competition fambam
>>
>>61240407
Some music is very lyric oriented, like Leonard Cohen.
>>
>>61240407
Dead Flag Blues has one of the best dialogues in music history tho
>>
>>61240407
I'm the same way with all music except rap.

Like, I usually listen to music on the go, I don't really have the patience to try and listen to their every word, some people's mixing is so bad that there's no point in trying to listen to the lyrics, and I'm not trying to look up the lyrics while listening to it.
>>
>>61241675
Bleach is easily the best Nirvana album though.
>>
I can safely say I barely care about lyrics at all. I listen to black metal and pop, so all lyrics are either unintelligible or deliberately shallow
>>
>>61241817
you must be joking
rap has the worst excuse for 'lyrics'
nigga nigga money bitch
>>
Lyrics are good when they're good and bad when they're bad. But most of the time, they're just there.
>>
>>61242110
wow, how insightful
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.