[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>'You have to conquer yourself,' he said, 'and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: phil_spector_based.jpg (202 KB, 1200x720) Image search: [Google]
phil_spector_based.jpg
202 KB, 1200x720
>'You have to conquer yourself,' he said, 'and take control of yourself. I make fun of a lot of people, like Brian Wilson, because they don't have control over themselves. I think they're largely phonies. They use their illness as an excuse. I have no mercy for that.' But Wilson, I said, idolized him ('I said', being the author Mick Brown) 'I know. He does interviews; he writes his autobiography about me. I know, I know, I know.' He shrugged. 'It's sad, you know, but I don't know whether you can feel sorry for untalented people. Maybe he's not that talented. Maybe he's overrated. Maybe. Jimi Hendrix was not overrated. Janis Joplin was not overrated. I feel sorry that they died, because they shouldn't have. They should have been a little smarter. Brian Wilson outlived his brothers for God's fucking sake. How do you figure that? Carl Wilson - pretty bright guy. Dennis - pretty silly guy; y'know, a muppet. And Brian outlives them? But maybe Brian wasn't that talented to begin with, and we're burdening him with that. We make these people more than they are. I don't feel sorry for Brian Wilson; I never thought he was that talented to begin with. I'm glad he idolizes; I wish that Jimi Hendrix idolized me. I heard he did. I'd be more impressed if somebody with a brain idolized me.' I told him that when I had met Brian Wilson he had talked of perhaps wanting to be produced by Spector. He smiled. The idea was clearly preposterous.
>>
Pet Sounds is perhaps the most overrated album ever. It’s a good album, with three incredible songs that are among their best; “God Only Knows,” “Wouldn’t It Be Nice” and “Sloop John B.” “I Know There’s An Answer” almost reaches that level, as does “You Still Believe In Me.” But that’s it. It’s not that the remainder of the songs are poor, it’s just that they’re not all that incredible. Combining that with the somewhat baroque production, you’ve got a very good but very flawed album.

What accounts for the lionization of Pet Sounds? For starters, there’s the story of Brian Wilson, the tortured artiste who battled his own demons and his own band (Mike Love fought him all the way on it) in making the record. Then, after producing Pet Sounds, he finally cracked up, a victim of too many drugs and trying to top Sgt. Pepper. It’s the kind of stuff that myths are made of, and it’s an irresistible story line. Secondly, there are Wilson’s production skills – which have been blown all out of proportion. (Wilson’s true production moment of genius was “Good Vibrations.”) Brian Wilson was a great producer, but listening to Pet Sounds you hear the heavy influence of the true master producer of the era – Phil Spector. Wilson literally worshipped Spector and learned everything from him. Reading lots of the over the top rubbish about the production on Pet Sounds, where Spector’s name is barely ever mentioned, you come to realize that there are a lot of people in the world who no clue as to Spector’s influence on Wilson. (The Wrecking Crew, Spector’s house band, played on many Beach Boys’ songs). And finally, the record was a (relative) commercial failure at upon release. So then the narrative becomes the misunderstood genius that is underappreciated after he becomes a “serious artist.” If you were going to write a indie rock biblical fable, it doesn’t get any better than that.
>>
I can rattle off about 30 albums from the 60’s alone that are superior to Pet Sounds – every Beatles album with the exception of Yellow Submarine and Please Please Me, most 60’s Dylan releases, about four Rolling Stones albums, classics by Creedence, the Band, the entire Otis Redding catalog, Aretha’s first four Atlantic full lengths, etc. (The absence of most soul records from the top echelon of the lists is endemic of the near-sightedness of most rock critics.)
>>
>>61229079
>>61228992
These are insubstantial opinions with absolutely no evidence or analysis of Brian's work to support them.
The amount of substantial information expressed by these two paragraphs could be summarised in saying:
>Brian is shit
Without losing all that much content as far as critiquing his music music goes.
The first says volumes about how much of an asshole Spector was though so I suppose there is some interest in expressing that.
>>
>>61229210
Saying Pet Sounds is genius is one of those things ignorant people say to try and sound smart.
I have no idea who first came up with the thought of PS being this amazing album but it has been regurgitated ad nauseam and as years go by and more dummies repeat it, makes it generally accepted by those who don't know better.
I am not saying it is a bad album nor that it isn't influential but it's basically 3 good songs (Wouldn't It Be Nice, Sloop John B, God Only Knows), the forgettable title song, dogs & trains at the end, and a bunch of the same ol' same ol' from the BBs in between.
>>
Explain what is bad about Pet Sounds or SMiLE.
>>
>>61229343
its boring and just well.......gay in a way. I hate it, thats my opinion.
>>
>>61228992
hey Phil how's the coke?
>>
>>61229376
lame b8
>>
why do people even like Phil Spector
did he ever produce anything of any musical worth
the "Phil Spector Sound" was applied to zero good music
>>
>>61229390
i don't think you have access to cocaine in prison
>>
>>61229283
nice b8 friend
>>
>>61229283
You really ought to just post a link to the article anon.
http://adeepershadeofsoul.blogspot.ie/2006/10/most-overrated-album-ever.html
If anyone has any genuine criticisms of Pet Sounds based on analysis of the songs, I'd be interested to hear them though.
>>61229390
Tbf, prison Coke is probably pretty good if you can get a hold of it.
>>
>>61229411
of course you have, if your anus is loose enough to make pay for it
>>
So basically its the same old tripe plebians spout when told to come up with valid criticism
>URRR THEY ONLY LIKE IT SUPERFICIALLY
>I-ITS OVERRAYDED

In their attempt to show the superficiality of others they only show their own, allowing the opinions of others to burden them

He fails to cite the instrumental Pet Sounds as the best track on the album as well. I have no respect for this man
>>
>>61229436
Poor old Phil's back would probably break from the strain.
>>
>>61228992
Phil Spector killed a woman who wouldn't have sex with him.

>>61229079
Totally unsubstantiated drivel.
>>
>>61229487
>bring irrelevant matter into this thread
Brian Wilson also married a sixteen year old at 22 :^)
>>
>>61228992
>'You have to conquer yourself,' he said, 'and take control of yourself. I make fun of a lot of people, like Brian Wilson, because they don't have control over themselves.
>Commits murder
>According to the prosecution, Spector had previously pulled a gun on four women. In each case, he had been drinking and "was romantically interested in the woman, but grew angry after the woman spurned him."
What a joke.
>>
>>61229576
The people who publicly masturbate over their "self-discipline" are always the ones that have none at all
>>
>>61229556
see >>61229576

Spector is talking about the importance of mental stability and deriding Wilson because of his lack of it.
>>
>>61229639

Neither does the man who forced one of the Ramones to play guitar at gunpoint
>>
File: spector-gollum_3049493c.jpg (64 KB, 460x287) Image search: [Google]
spector-gollum_3049493c.jpg
64 KB, 460x287
>you need to control yourself bro XDDD
>kills a woman
wew lad
those are some hot opinions for someone who didnt make a single memorable track in his life.
at least brian, even in his lowest moments, never looked as JUSTed as this goof some years ago lmao
>>
>>61229819
>didnt make a single memorable track
gremlin as he was this just isn't true
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.