[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys still think there is practically no difference in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10
File: korg_ms20_mini_alt_lg.jpg (139 KB, 1200x668) Image search: [Google]
korg_ms20_mini_alt_lg.jpg
139 KB, 1200x668
Do you guys still think there is practically no difference in the sound between analog and digital/software synths?

lol

Pic related, i just got one recently
>>
>>51566896
If yr using replications what's the difference
what electronic artists do you know that still use analog anyway? I know syro did and it sounded really dated
not trying to be a dick, just curious.
>>
no, but it's hard to catch sometimes.

an ms20!? nice. how are you liking it.
>>
I cant literally find a reason to use analog. it makes production very slow and tedious.

Unless you're wiling to spend thousands of bucks on vintage synths dont even try.

Of course it might be fun to use an analog bass here and there but you shouldnt really make everything analog, it will sound dated and a bit cheesy now

For example a programmed drums in an analog drum computer wont have the same feel as something you put together in a DAW where you can actually put any notes at any length and any position with any velocity. Drum computers were a compromise, not something people really wanted.
>>
>>51567006
>analog sounds more cheesy than software

What are you smoking?

People blow thousands of dollars on analog hardware so it doesnt sound cheesy. Sure, you can copy and paste an oscillator or filter or whatever in software many times to get a more complicated sound rather than having to buy each component and physically put it together but its still a lifeless, shallow emulation of the real thing.

And having a drum machine is infinitely better than a sample pack of a drum machine, and no one uses software to synthesize drums
>>
>>51566896
There is a huge difference, but if you can't hear it, you probably should not invest money in hardware.
>>
>>51567221
>no one uses software to synthesize drums
[citation needed]
>>
>>51566896
I have one those it's fucking sweet. Took me forever to figure out how to hook it up to ableton though... I ended up running the output into my headphone jack on my laptop as an input so now I can sample those lush synth textures
>>
>>51567221

yes they do you dipshit
>>
>>51567221
http://fc.mbs.net/~pfisher/fov2-0010016c/fov2-0010016e/fov2-001001a3/tutorials/ezine4/synthesis/index.html
>>
Awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoGlKOvzKk
>>
I actually did a comparison with oscilloscope between my Arturia Microbrute's waves and Ableton Live's Operator. Will post 2 and more if you guys want.

This wave is the Operator's SquareD.
>>
File: rbp.gif (2 MB, 400x261) Image search: [Google]
rbp.gif
2 MB, 400x261
>>51566942
Dated because it didn't jump on current trends?
>>
>>51567221
sample-based synths are still software anon
>>
>>51567306
This is the Microbrute's square, pulse width knob at 0 and volume of square at 12 o'clock.

When you raise the mixer knob of a wave on the MB over 12 o'clock, it starts to drive the filter.
>>
>>51566942
>>51566942
gr8b8m8
>>
>>51567244
>>51567265
>>51567281
I mean yeah people do, but drums need to kick and software lacks the warmth and richness of analog to give it that

>>51567306
it may just be the filters that make the difference for all i know, but it is a huge difference
>>
Wow, it sure is clueless in here.

The analog/digital debate is bullshit. Both have there advantages. Neither is outright better than the other and it's not a competition anyway.

All this crap just distracts away from what makes good music and that's good ideas.
>>
>>51567221
>having a drum machine is infinitely better than a sample pack of a drum machine

I have cc. 90000 different kicks and snares and whatever in dozens or hundreds of sample packs. I also have a dozen VST's capable of drum synthesis like KICK or Chromaphone. Not to mention the thousand ways I can use effects and mixing stuff on them.

I'm sure your drum machine with a couple of dozen of samples and limited sequencing can really win against that

A 909 or 808 drum machine will always sound dated, and thats part of their appeal now. If the 909 would come out today no one would buy it
>>
>>51567315
Samples pitches and lengthes cant be tweaked without bad artifacts coming out
>>
>>51567328
>warmth and richness of analog to give it that
Why do you think this can't be modeled digitally?
>>
File: ss+(2014-11-21+at+03.36.23).png (14 KB, 549x195) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2014-11-21+at+03.36.23).png
14 KB, 549x195
>>51567328
Operator's filter is open all the way, reso at 1, Low-Pass SVF. The default.

Microbrute's filter is open all the way in low-pass mode, resonance at 0.

This is Operator's SawD.
>>
>>51567335
>I have cc. 90000 different kicks and snares
How many successful albums do you have under your belt? :^)
Some of the best composers only used paper and maybe a piano.
>>
>>51567342
What people attribute to "analog sound" had way more to do with how they mixed them anyway. Vintage compressors/limiters or the SSL console which gave it that "warm" sound.

Also tape distortion, tube distortion etc.
>>
Seriously have any of you morons made any decent music?
>>
>>51567328
>>51567345
This is microbrute's saw, ultrasaw at 0, mixer at 12 o'clock.
>>
>>51567351
No
>>
>>51567349
So I should only use a paper and a piano then?

But some of the most successful composers didnt have a piano either

>logic

At least try to stick to the topic

Just because someone is successful doesnt mean what they producer doesnt sound bad or shit.
>>
File: ss+(2014-11-21+at+03.36.48).png (12 KB, 547x198) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2014-11-21+at+03.36.48).png
12 KB, 547x198
>>51567357
>>
>>51566896
I hear the Remodel of the MS-20 is worse sounding than the old one due to cheaper material.
>>
>>51567361
>So I should only use a paper and a piano then?
Yes, why not?
It will strip your music bare and expose it for what it is.
>>
>>51567351
define "decent" music
>>
File: bait.png (45 KB, 436x432) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
45 KB, 436x432
>>51567369
pls be bait
>>
>>51567376
Music that other people who you have no social contract with would want to listen to.
>>
>>51567387
Serious
>>
>>51567391
*contact
>>
>>51567387
Honestly though, good electronic music should sound neat on regular instruments as well.
>>
>>51567367
>>51566968
Its got some white noise leaking through when a key is pressed, and doesnt have any velocity, but holy fuck it sounds so much richer than software
>>
File: f5IZf6A.gif (151 KB, 500x327) Image search: [Google]
f5IZf6A.gif
151 KB, 500x327
>>51567394
Maybe then you shouldnt discuss music then

you realize that any kind of note (well actually not any, some) can be played on a piano but people choose other instruments because they sound better or different?

>only one instrument should exist

I cant fathom how retarded your post is
>>
If I had the money to buy a decent polyphonic analog synth I would. I don't see the point in buying an analog sampler or drum machine, tho
>>
>>51567414
>missing the point that much
Good compositions don't NEED any effects or special sounds.
Replace piano with pure sine waves if you prefer that. The point is to remove all smoke and mirrors to see if it the actual composition is good.
>>
>>51567423
I don't think there are any analog samplers.
>>
>>51567405
Ah ok yeah cool. I was thinking of getting an used Moog somewhere or a new Minitaur. I bought a MicroBrute but I just don't like the sound of it. I really do like the sound of analog and using guitar pedals for effects, idk I guess I'm a dadrocker according to some here.
>>
>>51567443
I'm
>>51567306
>>51567317

What don't you like about the microbrute, how long have you had it?
>>
>>51567431
>Good compositions

again, what the fuck does that mean?

You realize that excitement often come from how something sounds, not what kind of frequency it represents on a piano? Where you can only use the chromatic scale anyway?

And that different instruments exist because they all have different harmonics?

Also how the fuck do you use the piano for drums huh?

You completely missed the point, but not my post, but cc the last 100 years of music development
>>
>>51567463
Different instruments and harmonics are just smoke and mirrors. Drums are debatable. If anything they should be tested with the most simple sounds as well, to see if the rhythm itself actually holds up.
>>
>>51567451
It takes way too long to find a sound I like plus I have to use effects, as I think on its own it sounds kinda cheap.
>>
>>51567438
I was thinking recording on tape
>>
>>51567492
Yes that's ridiculously tedious. I don't think anyone is enough of a hipster to cut & join tape in 2014
>>
This is painful to watch.
>>
>>51567501
What is painful to watch?
>>
File: dolan.png (182 KB, 680x540) Image search: [Google]
dolan.png
182 KB, 680x540
>>51567485
Then do that

Whats your point? That I shouldnt use nothing but a piano to please some autist?

Okay then

Bang to rocks together and call it music then
>>
>>51567519
>Bang to rocks together and call it music then
If the rhythm has any actual substance it will sound great with jrocks<
>>
>>51567490
Say word it takes too long, I dial sounds in on my MB with a quickness most of the time. There are so few controls.

Do you into basics of subtractive synthesis even tho?
>>
>>51567498
I have seen many people online (including he43) claim one should learn how to cut up tape for samples before approaching digital samples. fucking idiots
>>
>>51567517
This argument.

Get the fuck off 4chan and make some music if you're so sure of what makes it good. Use a piano, an analog synth, a pen, your voice, a computer, a digital drum machine, a violin, whatever. If it's good, it's good.

And while I love music based around structure, harmony & melody the guy saying all good music can be written on a piano is full of shit. There's plenty of great stuff out there that relies far more on timbre/sound design than any notion of scale.

I'm out,
>>
>>51567559
It is my opinion that the veil of timbre and effects falls sooner or later, exposing the pure substance.
This separates the wheat from the chaff.
>>
>>51567570
Smokin too much crack, smokin smokin too much crack, ain't no one tell you that be whack? Smokin too much crack, smokin smokin too much crack
>>
File: System-1%20topview.jpg (301 KB, 1680x1006) Image search: [Google]
System-1%20topview.jpg
301 KB, 1680x1006
Is there an oscilloscope for android that I could use with OTG USB and a synth?
>>
>>51567570
Well you're straight up wrong and this is coming from someone who regards JS Bach as the probably the greatest.

A solo that might sound a bit boring on piano might sound great on a woodwind/brass/stringed instrument because of the added expression that the player can put in.

A note with a slow attack is different from a note with a fast attack, it makes you feel differently.

The spectral make up of sounds are massively important. People thought sine waves were going to be the way forward in the early days of electronic music, that it'd be pure music but they soon realised that it lacks so much.
>>
>>51567328
>I mean yeah people do, but drums need to kick and software lacks the warmth and richness of analog to give it that

Most people mistake Scott hulls drums in Pig Destroyer for real drums they're that well programmed. I did at first until I read it was all drum machine/programmed.
>>
>>51567609
y u do dis if u can use daw wid oscilloscope vst.

y

y u do dis
>>
>>51567335
Got some news for you. TR-8.
>>
>>51567631
You know you can sample analog drum machines into a computer?
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.