[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why did they get so shitty after wl/wh? has any band ever fallen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: The-Velvet-Underground-an-007.jpg (32 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
The-Velvet-Underground-an-007.jpg
32 KB, 460x276
why did they get so shitty after wl/wh?

has any band ever fallen off so hard?
>>
>It was their first record to feature Doug Yule, John Cale's replacement.

Literally the second sentence on Wikipedia. Do some research.
>>
>>60988334
Loaded is their best album
>>
Lou Reed started getting all weepy about not being a famous rock star with lots of money for his heroin addiction, so he tried his hand at writing pop songs, and stupid fucking hipsters decided and continue to decide that it's better than all the other random garbage pop that was coming out at that time.

And what the guy above me said. Though Reed's songwriting softened, and that was a huge part of the move away from the material on the first two records, without Cale's influence and viola textures, a lot of the edge that was added even to tame Reed compositions by the classicist (and Nico, on the first record) was lost.
>>
>>60988363
This

Their later stuff isn't even bad, retard.
>>
john cale was the real talent and he left so reed could make pop songs
>>
>>60988396
no, by the standard of their early material it's total fucking garbage
>>
>The Velvet Underground & Nico
>John Cale & Nico
>9/10

>White Light/White Heat
>no Nico
>7/10

>Desertshore
>John Cale & Nico
>9/10

this isn't a hard code to crack
>>
>>60988394
>>60988427
ding ding ding. it's pretty well established that Loaded, despite several great songs, was a fairly calculated money grab.
>>
File: 1447523992133.png (203 KB, 600x470) Image search: [Google]
1447523992133.png
203 KB, 600x470
>He doesn't like s/t and loaded
They're great and you know it. The only one that really sucks is squeeze.
>>
TVU was a good end to their career, then yeah everything went bad
>>
>>60988987
I think TVU was their finest hour - mature, accomplished music
>>
>>60988427
>implying Nico couldn't have been easily replaced

Cale was the key really, his experimental side complimented Lou's basic but brilliant songwriting perfectly.

Also Loaded is fine and TVU is good OP.
>>
>>60988427
>The Velvet Underground (S/T)
>No Nico and no Cale
>9/10
what does it mean?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.