[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do Vinyl really sound better? I'm getting a record player
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: pobrane.jpg (5 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
pobrane.jpg
5 KB, 284x177
Do Vinyl really sound better? I'm getting a record player in a couple of weeks and don't know what to expect.
>>
I don't think so, its just to show normie you got better taste
>>
technically no, its worse,

but if you cherish the warmth and fuzziness
that a vinyl has, I would say its more enjoyable.
>>
There's a lot of appeal that comes with vinyl that I personally think far exceeds the difference in sound quality. You start having to curate your collection a lot more, because it's no longer free to get new music, so the albums you end up buying you often get more attached to because they have more intrinsic value. It has an aesthetic to it that is more worthwhile than finding the best foobar skin, and if you appreciate album art and package design then there's that whole aspect to it as well.

If you're an audiophile and you really care about the sound of your music, then you would already have a record player, so instead get caught up in the fun of collecting and playing records.
>>
>>60958999
All of the "quality" that people attribute to vinyl is actually that of the equipment used to play them.

So, inherently, no.
>>
>>60959045
what's wrong with having a CD collection?

This makes me think that people just buy LPs because they 'look prettier' and it's trendy to do so, CD's are cheaper and have a greater dynamic range of sound

plus, often the artwork is the same on the CD, it's literally the same thing, except the album band and title is easier to read on the spine
>>
>>60959044
it's different. digital has a more accurate sound with better clarity but vinyl can often said to be punchier and warmer

neither is better
>>
>>60959110
Not him and I have a lot of CD's but the mastering on most new CD's or new re-issues is atrocious. The volume is upped to the point where that quality is lost.
>>
>>60959110
I love having a CD collection. Nothing better than going to a yard sale or market or bargin bin and finding something really cool for like a dollar.

People are starting to catch onto the LP craze now and really jack up those prices, even on really beat up records.
>>
>>60958999

Provided the record is clean, undamaged, and the gear is good, vinyl won't sound much different than a CD.

The primary reason to invest in a turntable is for listening to older pressings (<1990 or around). Many of the albums of that time period were mixed and mastered better than the following "remasters" that came out decades later. My 1976 copy of All Things Must Pass absolutely destroys the digital version, makes the latter sound like it was recorded through a blanket.

This isn't the case for all albums, though. Some sound better on vinyl, some sound worse, some sound the same.

If you're curious on which pressings/versions of a record are the best, just type in [album name] + Steve Hoffman. They're obsessive about about it.

Example:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/miles-davis-bitches-brew-best-lp-cd-pressing-for-original-mix.107584/
>>
>>60959045
Honestly, that's the main reason I want to get a record player. I like the concept of having to stick to an album rather than just skipping the songs I don't like.
>>
>>60959146
Literally nobody uses separate masters for CD and vinyl for new records anymore m8.
>>
>>60959180
this is even better
http://vinyldoneright.nl/
>>
>>60959146
you mean the period from late 2000 until about 2008 when everyone was using compression in the loudness wars

people eventually caught on, if you get a cd nowadays, the volume should be fine
>>60959186
you can do that with a cd player for waaay cheaper, just saying, nigga just walk away from your cd player/throw the remote away
>>
>>60958999
YES
Just get your hands on some Technics turntable and good set of speakers/headphones and listen yourself.
>>
Short answer: it depends much more on the rest of your setup

Long answer: google.
>>
>>60959375
>>60959762
also, use GOOD needles/cartridges
>>
>>60959110
CDs feel a bit tacky and uniform in terms of design which makes them a bit less appealing. Honestly it's mainly an enjoyment collectors thing more than anything else I think, plus they look pleasant.
>>
>>60959131
well said
>>
>>60959045
>You start having to curate your collection a lot more, because it's no longer free to get new music, so the albums you end up buying you often get more attached to because they have more intrinsic value.
This is also true if you buy CDs.
>>
>>60958999

No.
>>
If you're really asking, don't bother.
>>
File: R-5781797-1402496775-7285.jpeg.jpg (24 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
R-5781797-1402496775-7285.jpeg.jpg
24 KB, 300x300
>>60958999
Yes. Depending on your gear.
>>
File: P1070431.jpg (102 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
P1070431.jpg
102 KB, 1024x768
I'll ask here instead of starting a new thread

I have a Kenwood kr-5030 that I found recently, but whenever I turn it on the lights on the front start flickering and there's a loud arcing noise coming from inside of it. The first time I turned it on it went away after a few seconds but it stays for much longer now and I don't want to destroy it.

wat do?
>>
>>60963650

Might be a (or several) bad capacitor(s).

Try /diy/. I'm sure they can help you diagnose the problem and suggest a solution. If you know how to solder, these old receivers are pretty easy to fix. Pretty much anything on them can be replaced.
>>
>>60959186
faggot
>>
>>60963976
I hope it's not something I have to solder because I usually break what I solder

I guess I'll ask /diy/ though, thanks
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.