[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/BLINDFOLD TEST/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 2
Welcome to the weekly /mu/ jazz Blindfold Test thread.

If you're new, the point of these threads is to encourage critical listening, discussion, and general enjoyment of jazz. All critical music listeners are welcome. The more participation we have, the more fun and successful these threads will be. In the interest of keeping the thread alive and bumped, any general jazz discussion is welcomed here as well.

For more information about how the threads work and listening suggestions, please refer to the pastebin: http://pastebin.com/2yCLLBrj

This week's theme is: 2015 RELEASES
Tracks were selected by: JAZZTHREADGUY

Next week's theme is: ???
Tracks were selected by: AMBASSADOR SATCH???

If you missed last week's thread, DON'T WORRY. It's not too late. Here are the links for the mystery tracklist. Download the tracks, record your thoughts/guesses/evaluations for each one, and then come back and post them in the thread. Remember, people will be posting guesses and thoughts in this thread so don't read the thread until you have listened to the music and collected your thoughts in order to avoid spoilers. Track info for this week's tracks will be posted at roughly 8:00 PM (EST)

http://www50.zippyshare.com/v/Kj3eKdV2/file.html
https://mega.nz/#!VtRX3AYD!rr1CBdnYyxrUdGCMnRY-UhG8TufYXkmexNubwX9JkY8

Posting with names and/or tripcodes is encouraged so that we can get to know each other. We also need more volunteers for people to compile our weekly tracklists. If you are interested, reply with your theme idea.
>>
No idea. I don't listen to new jazz. The first track is Caravan though.
>>
>>60876999
>I don't listen to new jazz
Well here's your chance to check some out. Even if you have no idea on any of the artists you can at least give your thoughts about the tracks.
>>
1. I recognize this one actually from Avishai Cohen’s album from this year. It’s one of the few 2015 jazz albums I’ve heard actually. I love all the rhythms going on in this track and the way it has sort of a Latin feel to it in parts. My only real complaint is that there’s no real memorable melody to it. It’s just kind of a groove. It’s pretty cool how it builds up at the end though. 4 stars.

2. This sounds kind of like old school Blue Note type stuff. The recording quality is better but otherwise I probably wouldn’t be able to tell that this wasn’t Horace Silver or something like that. The saxophone and trumpet solos were both pretty good but neither really stand out to me. I notice that the drummer is playing a lot so maybe this is a drummer-led group. The piano solo is pretty cool, I feel like the drummer and bass player are responding more to what he is doing. This track was pretty good but it seemed like kind of just hard bop nostalgia. 3 stars.

3. I don’t know what I’m hearing at the beginning of this. Now it sounds like some kind of muted trumpet. Oh now I can tell it’s trombone. It’s pretty cool once the bass and drums come in. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a trombone trio before. I think it could be better if the drummer and bass player gave it more energy. It didn’t really seem like they were matching what the trombone player was doing. 3.5 stars.
>>
>>60877596
4. It sounds like we have alto sax, tuba, guitar, drums and some kind of string instrument, maybe cello. I like the way it sounds chaotic but it all kind of fits in together at the same time. I can’t really tell what’s improv and what is composition. Actually if any of it is improv it’s really good because it sounds very coordinated. This was really cool and went on just the right length. 4.5 stars.

5. This has a cool groove to it and I like the way the melody works. The starts and stops are cool too. The trumpet player is leaving a lot of space at the beginning of his solo which is cool. He reminds me a little bit of Kenny Dorham. The piano player is reacting to what the trumpet player is doing very nicely. I’d guess this is Alex Sipiagin since JTG chose these tracks and I haven’t listened to Sipiagin’s new album yet. The bass solo is a bit boring as bass solos usually are but some of the rhythmic patterns he’s doing are kind of cool. The piano solo is really cool. I like how it started out pretty crazy and then starts doing more rhythmic stuff. I liked this one. 4 stars.

6. This is kind of reminding of Eric Dolphy in the way that it’s really kind of beboppy sounding but still kind of modern and melodic. Wow now in the alto solo it kind of reminds me of Charlie Parker. This is cool because they’re playing really fast but it doesn’t seem like the whole point is just to “play fast”. I can’t decide if I like the weird electronics noodling there in the middle. It’s cool how it shifts into sort of a funky groove near the end too. I’ll give this one 4.5 stars for that alto solo. I’m interested to find out who that was.
>>
>>60877621
7. Another piano trio track. Well I haven’t heard his album but I bet this is Vijay Iyer. I usually like Vijay Iyer but on this track it kind of sounds like the drummer and bass player are having trouble following what he’s doing. It all sounds kind of disorganized. I don’t have very much else to say about this one. 2.5 stars.

8. This is kind of cool but there’s a lot going on. It’s kind of hard to take it all in. Once the soloing starts the interplay between the piano and vibraphone is very nice. I like the kind of urgent sound of the song. Is this actually 2 songs or something? Well anyway the second song was pretty nice too. There’s good interplay between the saxophonist and the piano player. 4 stars.

9. The piano here kind of sounds like Vijay Iyer again. Maybe I’m having flashbacks to two weeks ago but this sounds like it could be a tune by Monk. Nice trumpet solo and good interplay by the piano player. I like how he keeps just repeating those same two chords for a while at the beginning but then gets crazier. The saxophone player is reminding me a lot of Coltrane. It’s nice how the piano player drops out for a while during the beginning of his solo for a nice texture change. And then it’s really energetic when the piano comes back in. It’s cool how eventually they start coming back to the main riff during the solos. Those big open sounding chords in the piano solo are nice. I liked the Coltrane and Monk influence in this one a lot. 4.5 stars.

10. I like how quiet and peaceful this one is but it almost sounds like they’re playing it kind of sloppily. I would guess these are old players. This was a nice one to end on but if it had been in the middle it might have been a little boring. It’s pleasant but not extremely memorable. 3 stars.
>>
Damn. Slow thread today. Hopefully some of the other regulars show up soon.
>>
Err, I will be around later. I need to remove track info from the tracklist I'm doing which is themed around dedications (as in jazz musicians doing dedications to other jazz musicians.)
>>
>>60877621
>I’d guess this is Alex Sipiagin
Nope

>This is kind of reminding of Eric Dolphy
>it kind of reminds me of Charlie Parker.
Agree

>>60877650
I would guess these are old players
Yep
>>
>>60879533
oh well i don't have any other guesses

bump anyway
>>
Gonna just leave this here and I'll be back again in a while to post the rest.

There probably won’t be much in the way of guessing players in my track reviews. I’m still at a stage where I’m too busy trying to get a good grip on the mainstream jazz cannon to actually do much searching for new artists.
>Track 1
Gotta love that ostinato. That bassline that the pianist plays in the left hand with the double bass is really cool. It sounds like they’re either using a weird scale/mode or maybe it’s just a bit oddly written. It’s a nice effect though. The stuff the drummer was doing was very impressive but it still sounded quite good because the bass and piano kept up with him very well even though he was all over the place. Good track. Really tight trio.
>>
>>60876622
Uploading the tracklist now, I'll email it on to you in a min.

Just gonna make a note here to say I absolve anyone who doesn't really like long free jazz tracks of the obligation to listen to track 9 and I would suggest that any posting of this tracklist be prefaced with that disclaimer.
>>
I like how the snare and the cowbells have been recorded. Latin influences are obviously noticeable. I didn't particularly liked how the bass had a moment of plain silence just to let me know that he was having a line. Interesting progression in the second half of the track, although I don't think that the drummer should have played with suck a rock method. The ostinatos are pretty cool.
6.5/10

Horns are a bit too thin in the mix, so is the bass. Piano is a bit too invasive, but I like the sax solo, kinda reminds of Giant Steps-era Trane. The piano's solo doesn't stand out, I don't like what he's doing with his left hand. Drummer's fills and grooves are nice, but the general impression isn't too good. I'd liked it more if anyone had the opportunity to show off more.
5.5/10

I am a bit confused. I like this theme. Angular to the point, but still structured. The intro wasn't really important, but I think it could really work as a starter for an album. It's a pity that the bass player's sound seems so academic and detached. The ending has a march-like feeling that makes my end shake. Final is a bit too abrupt. Solos were nothing special.
6/10

The trombone and the bass fit really well together. Guitar's work is nothing spectacular, but on the other hand I really like what the cello is doing. They don't really have a sense for dynamics.
5/10

Like the cuban groove and the interplay. Piano player probably formed himself on a Rhodes, you can hear that by the way he plays his chords. The trumpet solo is good. The atmosphere had a really nice shift around the third minute. Bass solo is quite classy. If it didn't have the trumpet I could easily think this was Ron Carter's last quartet. The piano starts his solo in a really good way, I'd really love to hear him in a more sped-up situation. The drummer is playing a really nice part and he's being very subtle about it. Yes, please.
7/10
>>
>>60880806
Glad to have you participating. If you think you'll participate in future threads (hopefully) you might want to consider using a name or a trip so we can all identify each other
>>
wait there are still threads on mu about music?
>>
>>60881175
Yeah, there's a small community of us who are always too busy to post.
>>
>>60880806
COCAINE! The theme is interesting in its rythmic composition, but not really on the harmonic level. His soloing is really nice, although I feel the ambience a bit too empty. I guess I like larger formations. Where did that bleep bleep bloop come from? Woah that piano insertion, and the swing, nice nice nice. And it ends nicely, don't know why but it reminds me of Blue Note-era Andrew Hill. Probably the track I liked the most right now.
7.5/10

Mysterious beginning. Very loose and sparse, the drummer's not really coherent. They take at least 3 minutes to set off. Not really interesting at all, and the drum solo is a really big question mark.
4.5/10

Love how it started with polyrythms all over the place. Drums sound a bit too distant in the mix. Vibraphone is always nice. Bass started moving quite nicely during the vib solo, and the piano is playing something really intriguing and it blends really well with the horns. WAS THAT LIVE? They have a really tight interplay and they all know what they are doing. Love the sax solo on the second track, and how everybody was able to get such a structured cue.
7.5/10

The drummer should have stopped using that crash a minute ago. Nice imposition of the trumpet on the piano pattern (same rhythm as So What in the first 8 measures).
Nice change of register of the sax during the first moments of his solo, using the low register is a clever move. Defintely Coltrane-inspired in the second half, although the rest of the band seems to be a bit relegated in its space. Nice time change on the piano solo. A really nice exercise in style.
7/10

The guitar sounds like it has been recorded by ECM, and not in a good way. Didn't particularly like how the sax left for the trumpet solo to kick in. There are way better methods to resolve a call and response. The bass moves quite a lot, and this doesn't mix well with the mood of the thing. Mediocre.
5.5/10
>>
>>60880806
>Piano player probably formed himself on a Rhodes, you can hear that by the way he plays his chords
How can you tell this?
The way he voices them? The rhythmic phrasing? The dynamics?
>>
>>60881613
The way he uses the dynamics is what convinced me the most, and I had an impression of Hancock's more relaxed electric stuff in the way he voiced the chords down.
Anyway, I'd like to point out that these are obviously first listening impressions. I'd really like to know who were the guys on tracks 6 & 8.
>>
>Track 1
There's something very familiar to these guys, but not sure who these are. Probably some players I know...

Oh, now I remember what this is, it's from Avishai Cohen trio's album. The latin influence was really throwing me off, it's been a while since I listened to it.

I like some of his albums very much and his trio with other guys than these was magnificent live a couple of years ago when I saw them, but this album seemed like it was treading a lot of very familiar ground. Not one of the better tracks either, the latin influence is just so overpowering here.

>Track 2
So what is this... Some sort of Giant Steps mixed with something else. These guys seem like they are trying to do a whole lot, but not sure how much they are really accomplishing.

Seems like some sort of a technical exercise. Sure, there is a lot of technical merit here and probably more allusions to enjoy than the Giant Steps stuff but I'm not overly impressed by the whole.

>Track 3
Heh, what is that thing? Is it a trombone?

Trombone trio must be a pretty challenging format. I like the slightly unhinged feel to this, but not sure if I could get through a trombone trio album in one sitting. Interesting, but not sure if it really rises above the limitations of the sparse instrumentation.
>>
>>60881707
>I'd really like to know who were the guys on tracks 6 & 8

I'll post all the info for the tracks later tonight.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 480x376) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 480x376
>>60881707
>I'd really like to know who were the guys on tracks 6 & 8.
They were actually my favourites too.
>>
>Track 4

I got some Tim Berne flashbacks from the horn at the start, but obviously this is not Berne's Snakeoil...

Unusual instrumentation for sure. Is that a tuba?
Cello or viola or something? And an acoustic guitar?

The alto sax probably made an early exit because he was just too conventional for this group.

With the Berne feel, I'm guessing these are some New York figures. Erik Friedlander on cello?
Kind of interesting, need to listen to more tracks from these guys.

>Track 5
After the previous tracks, I feel like this seems way more abstract than it really is.
Not a big fan of mediocre latin jazz and this feels like just that. Not a fan.

>Track 6
This is kind of interesting. Pretty cool bebop influence with avant leanings with a nice lo-fi'ish sound and a neat loose feel.
Nice 60's kind of thing - I dig it.
>>
>Track 7
This one I know, it's Vijay Iyer's trio playing Thelonious Monk's Work from Break Stuff.

I actually just got home from a Vijay Iyer trio gig (with Tyshawn Sorey on drums) thirty minutes ago. He cites Monk as his hero, but Monk influences aren't very prominent on his trio albums - tonight live he played the first 30 minutes with a very heavy Monk-influence culminating in this track.

I think this track fits the album kinda poorly - one of my least favorites on this album, but it certainly made a ton of sense in tonight's live gig.

>Track 8
Not a big fan of this style - doesn't really speak much to me, although the playing is nice and tight with some decent excitement in the solos.

Skillful interplay, but somehow just fails to really excite me.
>>
>Track 9
What manner of avant-sleaze is this. Some times this kind of lazy hi-hat beat does it for me, here I'm not so sure.

The sax solo feels like the best part for me here, although it appears the trumpeter has chops. I like the Coltrane stylings of the sax-guy better, though.

I couldn't really get into this one too much, but it's not bad - could have used a little more of a clear direction where this guys were trying to go, felt like they were doing a bunch of different things that didn't quite come together.

>Track 10
Pleasant enough guitar intro - thought this was going to be a guitar trio at first. Very sparse sound for a combo with this many players.

I'd guess the guitarist has plenty of trio experience. Maybe Peter Bernstein or someone like that?

Falls into that dullness trap that haunts many guitar trio albums even with the horns - just too low key and safe, lacks that something special for me.
>>
>>60876622

I'm new to this, but I would like to develop a more critical ear. I am currently listening to this week's tracks. I read the pastebin, but just a clarification, when this week's track info is posted will the tracks for next week also be posted? I'm trying to get a feel for how these threads work.
>>
>Track 2
The trumpet and sax player sound very familiar to me. I’m not great with modern jazz though and the trumpet player doesn’t remind me of anyone modern I know so I figure he’s probably just taking a bit of Woody Shaw influence and that’s ringing bells in my head. I’m a big Shaw fan and at times there was stuff that sounded very like stuff Woody would play but there was a little less playing around with dynamics/pacing and the tone of his playing was a little smoother. He didn’t have as much of the sharp accent of Shaw but it still felt similar to his tone.
>Track 3
My first thought was that it was a digeridoo playing some particularly bluesy lines. Then it went into those crazy lines where it sounded like that talking trumpet experiment Brian Wilson did during the SMiLE sessions but this is a trombone no?
The thing that really blew my mind was how he kept throwing in little blues lines and segued his free solo into the more conventional body of the piece. I love this guy’s style and his playing feels so modern but still rooted in the phrasing of people like Louis Armstrong. Really interested to hear who that is, I feel a little more lenient towards modern trombonists now because of him.
He tends to play quite low for most of his soloing and uses high notes like a tool and his tone becomes a lot more like the free style he played at the beginning, which is cool because it feels like he’s referencing the “head” if you’d call that intro the head. Goddamn this is good. Would listen to more of him/10
>>
>>60882453
I usually post the links for next week's tracklist earlier. It just depends.
>>
>>60882453
Next weeks tracklist gets posted (usually as a last sort of bump for any stranglers to post their thoughts) and then the tracklist goes up a while later if there isn't much more activity.
You should well join in though! Always great to get new people.
>Track 4
Didn’t have a great time with this one. I felt like the cello, acoustic guitar and the tuba were a poor mix and that the cello didn’t really sell me as a soloist. This is the sort of tuba playing I don’t like in modern jazz. If you don’t sound vaguely like a bass player in a marching band. The guy tries to do too much and I think it just sounds ugly because the tuba is meant to be felt more than it’s supposed to be heard.

>Track 5
The dissonant piano playing didn’t sit well with me. It just felt awkward being so suddenly introduced over the bass ostinato with the Latin rhythm. I enjoyed the trumpet solo a lot more, mostly because it felt more like everyone was on the same page after the shaky start. Even when the drummer was putting in fills, it felt much more like the musicians were keeping it tight and the bass player did a great job of setting the pace for everyone.
It felt pretty standard as a set though and not particularly modern sounding. Like this could have been recorded 40 years ago and not been terribly out of place.
>>
>>60882564
>Track 6 (my fav of the bunch)
The galloping rhythm and quirky melodies had me sold straight away on this one. The sax player was consistently exciting and the way the way they had all the sudden pacing changes while keeping the breakneck pace was fucking awesome. The the new sections would just come and go and the whole sound of the piece would just change before they ran back into the driving bop pace set by the drums and bass. The sudden changes all felt like they belonged in the composition though, like when the trumpet player holding the long tone while the other instruments cut out was such a cool intro for the sax solo. Such a well written structure.
The melodies were damn catchy too. Like it wasn’t just a random string of bebop licks, they were nicely written and had been thought out, they were done so fast it felt like something a marching band could have played at half the speed.
The electronic elements were a nice touch too. The way they were introduced, low in the mix over the bass was a really tasteful and interesting way to do it. It didn’t feel gimmicky and the reference to the more swing orientated melody to come in the bass at 3:15 was genius.
The piano section was really interesting too. I don’t think they dropped the tempo but the less busy and more swinging accompaniment made the whole thing feel much more relaxed and slower. Very tasteful fade out too with just the trumpet ostinato and the bleeps and bloops.
Would listen to an album of this/10
This could well be AOTY material if the rest of the album is good.
>>
>>60882732
>track 7
The chords and voicings the pianist used were pretty cool in the way his playing skirted the line around atonality.
The way the drums were recorded really caught my attention too. Some of the kit sounded really crisp like the snare but the cymbals were really airy and felt like they could have been recorded in a different room or something. Not sure I’m explaining that very well. Could also be the kit or the way the drummer is playing.
Otherwise, I wasn’t fond of this one. It felt aimless and there wasn’t enough changes in dynamics and pacing in the piano and it sounded like the bassist and drummer didn't really know where he wanted to go half the time.

>Track 8
The arrangement on the head was great on this. The section just after the one with the piano ostinato in particular was very enjoyable. I liked how they played unison but there were still people introducing melodies from time to time over the main melody.

The vibes game was strong, ideas were well developed and it never felt like he was short of ideas and he had a good sense of pacing and where the solo was going next. The audience's applause was well deserved.
The accompaniment throughout was really great too. Some nice lines from the horns and when they weren't playing, the pianist filled out the space really nicely.
The stop at 6:45 right at the end of the sax solo before going back into the prewritten section was fucking badass. Loved that. The band was tight, the playing was consistently interesting and the song was well written. Planning to check this one out too afterwards.
>>
>>60880806
>Piano player probably formed himself on a Rhodes, you can hear that by the way he plays his chords

I'm not sure about this... There probably aren't too many players who started off playing mostly Rhodes.

>>60881436
>Blue Note-era Andrew Hill
Kind of odd... The piano isn't really all that present here.

>sounds like it has been recorded by ECM
Yep
>>
>>60882866
>Track 9
Is the pianist Orinn Evans? I can picture him there, with his small portrait of Monk, smiling at him from atop his piano, beside a glass of whiskey (straight, no chaser) while he plays only the most dissonant chords in his vocabulary.
The sax solo was very strong. There was pretty great development in his style of playing building towards the more overblown/strained notes towards the end.

>Track 10
Some very pretty guitar in the intro. His tone is lovely and the prewritten parts are very enjoyable but I wasn't as happy with his solo. It sounded like he got a bit lost at times where he'd start out with an idea but not know where to go by the time he'd played it.
The trumpet player's tone reminds me a little like Tomasz Stanko and this is the sort of track he'd do too.

>Overall impressions
Some very strong song here and a few weak ones.
I think my pervading qualm is that most of the tracks don't sound all that modern.
I knew JTG wasn't going to throw in something from Birdcalls because most people in these threads know that album and he's listened to enough that he can always make a tracklist of players we don't know and he's more interested in introducing /jazz/ to lesser known players.
Which is a great thing but I don't think any of these are as fresh sounding as some of the material on Birdcalls is.
That's not to say they weren't good. But beyond the cool electronics on 6 which was done in a way I haven't heard on a jazz record before, there wasn't anything I would describe as being on the vanguard in this set. Which was sort of what I was hoping to hear because I'm a bit of a traditionalist who sticks to critically acclaimed artists for the most part and I was looking forward to being shown new ground being broken.
I don't want to sound too negative though, as per usual I did really like this weeks selection and I'm excited to see who some of these players are.
>>
>>60881735
>Giant Steps
Glad somebody else hears the Giant Steps changes in this. The alto player even plays a Giant Steps pentatonic lick.

>Not a big fan of mediocre latin jazz
What would you say is some exceptional Latin jazz?

>Skillful interplay, but somehow just fails to really excite me.
If good interplay doesn't excite you then what do you like about jazz?

>>60882358
>avant-sleaze
what?
>>
>>60883051
>The piano isn't really all that present here.
I know, it just kind of stepped into my mind and reminded me of the ending of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4M06E19me0
for the polyrhythms; but then again I'd like to listen the track again to judge better
>>
>>60883093
I forgot to mention: that lethal trombone player. Holy shit he was good.
>>
>>60883136
>Interplay

What I mean is that technically proficient playing doesn't always translate to engaging music.
>>
Does anyone of you have RYM? That would be nice to add some of you to keep in touch more easily (I'm not a habitué of 4chan)
>>
>>60882491
You seemed to like the trombone track more than most of the others.

>>60882732
Nice reading your thoughts about this one.

>>60883093
>Is the pianist Orinn Evans?
Winner

>I don't think any of these are as fresh sounding as some of the material on Birdcalls is.
I wanted to make a playlist with a mix of stuff that is innovative and more traditional and all across the spectrum between. Interesting that you single out the electronics on track 6. There is quite a bit of jazz with electronic sound elements.
>>
>>60883283
Well that I agree with. Good interplay isn't always technically proficient though.

But technically proficient or not, I think good interplay is one of the most consistently engaging things about jazz.
>>
I might post the reveal for this week a little bit later than usual tonight.
>>
I will go ahead and post the links for next week now though.

http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/bpas5oid/file.html
https://mega.nz/#!h55AVJJR!6MltmoU7rnRI75KbWXC9Xjo01k2L-mpPv1lGV0a4e7w

The theme is dedications.
>>
>>60883521
>You seemed to like the trombone track more than most of the others.
The trombone player was my favourite soloist of this set.
On relistening I'm thinking you might be right and I'm tied between it and 6. 6 is a better composition though.
>Winner
Wouldn't be a /blindfold/ without either Caravan or some strong Monk influences.
>There is quite a bit of jazz with electronic sound elements.
I just thought the way it was implemented here was very unique. It was all low frequencies done like a bass instrument and actually it almost melded with the bass at times.
It was unusual but it wasn't flung into the center of attention and didn't really feel like it was there to solo or to comp. It was just there to add texture I guess.
>I wanted to make a playlist with a mix of stuff that is innovative and more traditional and all across the spectrum between.
This is a fair goal. I guess it would be wrong to ignore the big traditionalist scene if you're examining modern jazz.
The likes of Rudresh Manthappa and Fire! just catch my imagination more. They make jazz feel alive and growing.

>>60883431
I was going though a zeuhl phase when I last used my rym account so I'm afraid to look at it.
>>
sorta new to this so excuse the hot onions
1. Pretty swell, I really dig the overall rythm and how it develops towards the end
2. Sounds old, but since the theme is 2015 releases I'm confused. I like the hasty sound. The drums and horns play nicely together for the most part. Didn't really feel the piano solo.
3. The trombone is cool, I think. I'm not familiar with it like this. Not sure if the other players adapt too well to what he's playing.
4. I like the cello sound but overall the music is kinda messy to my ear.
5. Nice warm sounds though the track is a bit too long for me.
6. At first I thought "he plays fast and is kinda nice", but then it adds electronic sounds and new melodies and from there it's all very good and interesting stuff.
7. I've actually heard this one. Break stuff. Cool stuff.
8. Didn't realize it was live until the applause. The players have very nice synergy which makes it very enjoyable.
9. I like the sax and the piano on this one. Especially the piano which at times reminds me of Monk whose music I really like.
10. Nice, somewhat gloomy, bass feels out of place sometimes.
>>
>>60883431
Interested in putting together a tracklist sometime? We could use more diversity on that front.
>>
>>60883839
Thanks for joining in the thread. Which one was your favorite?
>>
>>60883878
It could be fun, why not? Even if right now I'm trying to get myself away from the internet, I could try
>>
This has those /daily/ vibes. How long have these threads been a thing?

I might have a look at this soon.
>>
>>60883839
>Especially the piano which at times reminds me of Monk whose music I really like.
You'll fit in just fine down here. What's your favourite version of Caravan?
>>
>>60883921
I've heard them all just once so not sure, but what I'm really interesting on hearing more of are tracks 1 & 6.
>>
>>60884026
haha
>>
>>60884026
I don't think I've heard many, aside from Ellington and Blakey I can only recall a Marc Ribot version.
>>
>>60883958
It's been going on since early September. Hope you can give these ones a listen tonight and post some thoughts.

>>60883938
Got any good ideas for a theme?

>>60884026
lol
>>
>>60884139
Ah that's fine. I've at least two versions I'm looking at putting in future track lists.
I'm sure there's people with others too.
>>
>>60884186
How about a week where everybody submits one version of Caravan?
>>
>>60884240
It could be our April Fools week!
I'm still really Want Holiday themes to be a thing. We dropped the ball on Halloween but we were only starting. We can get it next year.
We still have Christmas though(I'm looking at you jtg, if anyone has a library big enough to do this, it's probably you). Even if there's some vocal jazz that's easy to guess, it'd still be great. Actually, I think if Louis Armstrong wasn't on a Christmas theme, I'd probably cry.
>>
>>60884147
Really don't have a clue. Guess I'll have to take some time to think about it
>>
>>60883093
>Is the pianist Orinn Evans? I can picture him there, with his small portrait of Monk, smiling at him from atop his piano, beside a glass of whiskey (straight, no chaser) while he plays only the most dissonant chords in his vocabulary.
lol
>>
>>60883760
No obvious choice coming by Braxton's For Alto
:O
I am impressed.
>>
>>6088458
I've a long standing hatered of For Alto. My other theme for these threads was solo performances. Guess who wasn't invited...
also, while we're talking about Christmas (cause it's not just me right?) here's Louis' wife talking about his first tree
>We finally went to bed. And Louis was still laying up in the bed watching the tree, his eyes just like a baby's eyes would watch something...So finally I said, "Well, I'll turn the lights out now on the tree." He said, "No, don't turn them out. I have to just keep looking at it. You know, that's the first tree I ever had."

>Well, I hadn't realized that you know. Louis was 40 years old and it seems to me that in 40 years a person would have at least one tree. I was all swollen up inside when he told me that. We were to leave the next day for Kansas City. I figured Christmas is over; today's the 26th nowl I'll leave the tree. Louis said, "No, don't leave the tree; take the tree with you." And he had me take the tree on those one-nighters. Before I even unpacked a bag I had to set that tree up, his Christmas tree....

>I kept that first little tree until way after New Year's, putting it up every night and taking it down every morning, in a dozen hotels. And then when I did take it down for the last time, Louis wanted me to mail it home. It was a real tree, not an artificial one, and I had to convince him-- I really had to convince him-- that the tree would dry up.
>>
does mingus say god damn it in black saint somewhere in last track? i hear it everytime
>>
bump again. I will post the reveal soon
>>
1. solid caravan / minivan. Lots of riffs from Art Blakey daddy like
2. drum sounds like John DeJohnette. Literally the only merit of this track.
3. bass + trombone interplay with a moving inner voice doesn't happen often.
4. latin guitar voicing backed by bass & cello both bowed. not my type of music
5. outer voice bass solid buildup. I don't like the 8-5 rhythm.
6. great song. even better with the electronic part(fucking upvoted). That tribute to monk starting at 4:09 is no doubt my fav part of the track!!! I just want to say this song is 10/10
7. yawn.
8. vibraphone is the worst instrument. ruined an otherwise okay track.
9. basically a tribute to tranedaddy
10. latin bass voicing is annoying.

great thread btw
>>
>>60887950
What is an 8-5 rhythm?
>>
I guess since there's no jazz general thread I'll ask here.

I'm looking for recs for good albums with no piano or guitar but with horns. I know about Gerry Mulligan and Ornette Coleman already.
>>
Track 1- "Abie"
from "From Darkness" by Avishai Cohen
Nitai Hershkovitz- Piano
Avishai Cohen- Bass
Daniel Dor- Drums

Track 2- "The Adventures of Hyun Joo Lee"
from "Night and Day" by Vincent Herring
Jeremy Pelt- Trumpet
Vincent Herring- Alto Sax
Mike LeDonne- Piano
Brandi Disterheft- Bass
Joe Farnsworth- Drums

Track 3- "I'm In"
from "I'm In" by Joe Fiedler
Joe Fiedler- Trombone
Rob Jost- Bass
Michael Sarin- Drums

Track 4- "Off the Prompt Box"
from "In for a Penny, In For a Pound" by Henry Threadgill
Henry Threadgill- Alto Sax
Jose Davila- Tuba
Liberty Ellman- Guitar
Christopher Hoffman- Cello
Elliot Humberto- Drums

Track 5- "Descargation"
from "Impromptu" by The Rodriguez Brothers
Michael Rodriguez- Trumpet
Robert Rodriguez- Piano
Carlos Henriquez- Bass
Ludwig Alfonso- Drums
Samuel Torres- Percussion

Track 6- "Sharp Night"
from "Robin Goodie" by Zhenya Strigalev
Ambrose Akinmusire- Trumpet
Zhenya Strigalev- Alto Sax
Taylor Eigsti- Piano
Tim LeFebvre- Bass Guitar
Larry Grenadier- Double Bass
Eric Harland- Drums

Track 7- "Work"
from "Break Stuff" by Vijay Iyer
Vijay Iyer- Piano
Stephan Crump- Double Bass
Marcus Gilmore- Drums

Track 8- "A Shade of Jade"
from "The Music of Joe Henderson" by The SFJAZZ Collective
Avishai Cohen- Trumpet
Miguel Zenon- Alto Sax
David Sanchez- Tenor Sax
Robin Eubanks- Trombone
Edward Simon- Piano
Matt Penman- Bass
Obed Calvaire- Drums

Track 9- "Oska T"
from "Spherical" by Tim Warfield
Eddie Henderson- Trumpet
Tim Warfield- Tenor Sax
Orrin Evans- Piano
Ben Wolfe- Bass
Clarence Penn- Drums

Track 10- "Seventy Six"
from "Songs for Quintet" by Kenny Wheeler
Kenny Wheeler- Trumpet
Stan Sulzmann- Tenor Sax
John Paricelli- Guitar
Chris Laurence- Bass
Martin France- Drums
>>
>mfw darude sandstorm

https://youtu.be/H-ZYxftpsak?t=43m18s
>>
>>60888723
Check out Orgasm by Alan Shorter
>>
>>60888723
This>>60889112 is a good one. Here are some others I recommend.

Sonny Rollins- A Night at the Village Vanguard
Joe Henderson- State of the Tenor
Dave Holland- Conference of the Birds
Scott Colley- This Place
Dave Ballou- Amongst Ourselves
Alex Sipiagin- Overlooking Moments
>>
bumping. I'd like to keep the thread alive for a little longer. Today's thread was pretty good but it'd still be nice to get more posters in the future threads.
>>
another bump
>>
where do you download new jazz albums?
>>
>>60890962
soulseek, sharethreads
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.