[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i'm a what.cd elite user, have hundreds of gigabytes of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8
File: unnamed.png (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
17 KB, 300x300
i'm a what.cd elite user, have hundreds of gigabytes of music in my collection, i've spent hours upon hours manually tagging my music and organizing it, and i'm really quite attached to my collection...

and then my mobile carrier gave me 2 years free of spotify premium. and... i'm starting to question why i even bother downloading music. spotify can stream in 320 and everything is just so easy.

i feel like there's no point in having a music collection anymore. please tell me i'm wrong. i don't want to give up on downloading.

what do i do?
>>
Start listening on a hifi setup and realize 320 is shit compared to .wav or flac.
>>
File: bing.jpg (9 KB, 250x191) Image search: [Google]
bing.jpg
9 KB, 250x191
>>60796489
Give us all invites :D
>>
is this pasta? im pretty much you (1tb+ vbr of carefully tagged music -well, almost none of it, but little by little im tagging it by checking release images and such). i like the whole process to be honest. i dont care about quality much. all i can say is i find it disgusting to be the bitch of a corporation. if spotify decides tomorrow to close, i "lose" all the music. digital files are more or less permanent. i can rate them on foobar, and i also have a playcount plugin setup. if you just want to listen to music and dont care about anything above, maybe go for it. but i also think its terrible how spotify tells you how to listen to the music, rather than you doing so (cant change tags, cant choose order of songs -for free users, of coursee-, ive tried searching for many artists and didnt find shit, etc).
>>
Quit being a shill. I'm not buying a new phone with a contract, Goldberg
>>
>>60796489
Spotifag has a good selection and is convenient but there's still tons of shot that they don't have, it's best to use it as a supplement and for listening to stuff that you can't find on blog spots and slsk. Also spotify has 3000 or 5000 song limit for the amount of syncd music you can have. Keep working on your collection, it will always be there for you.
>>
I can't stand Spotify because their classical selection is spotty and messy as fuck for scrobbling. If you listen to much experimental music you'll be left entering m wanting as well, whereas most finds its way to What.
>>
>>60796785
Their classical selection is fine, but yeah their tags aren't the best if you want to scrobble an orchestra/conductor/performer instead of a composer or vice versa.
>>
I really don't bother with having an "mp3 collection" with Spotify around - sure it doesn't have everything so I just get those on mp3's, but I don't treat is as a "collection" and it's all basically just disposable stuff that can be reacquired if lost

on the other hand, after Spotify came around I got a renewed interest in collecting LPs instead of amassing mp3's and that satisfies my collecting urges much better than downloads
>>
>>60796489
Digital files aren't a collection of anything you fucking idiot.
>>
>>60796527
This. There seems to be a lot of misconceptions on /mu/ regarding the differences between 320kbps mp3 and FLAC format. It is true that 320kbps is technically as good as FLAC, but there are other reasons to get music in a lossless format.

Hearing the difference now isn’t the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is ‘lossy’. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA – it’s about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don’t want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange…well don’t get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren’t stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you’ll be glad you did.
>>
Listen to obscure shit like all the filthy hipsters on this board.
>>
>>60798482
Bu what about just having zips with albums stored in folder??
>>
>>60799886
Or having copies on a an external HDD that is off most of the time.
>>
I think the idea of a massive music collection is now pointless since streaming has become so universal. What really matters now is curation of the easily available music to a smaller but higher quality in content library. Having a nearly infinite number of tracks is useless if most of them are shit.
>>
>>60799953
I don't think it's pointless. Much easier when you have a list of artists you can pick from.

Spotify is great for if you want to try an album out before you buy it.
>>
>>60796489
abandon local files like everyone else. fucking filth.
>>
>>60800001
No, it isn't. If you don't have a premium account it makes you have to play the album as a shuffled playlist. There's no reason to not just use youtube instead.
>>
>>60800043
Dude, I have premium.

But it's nice to own the physical copies
>>
File: baitbaiter.jpg (93 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
baitbaiter.jpg
93 KB, 700x700
>>60798482
>>
>>60798482
Nice copypasta
>>
Spotify is great until they increase the price, which they will
>>
File: 1376625272113.jpg (57 KB, 444x602) Image search: [Google]
1376625272113.jpg
57 KB, 444x602
>>60800094
thanks 4 letting us all know m09
>>
>>60798283
This. It makes me laugh that some people think they have a collection of music when they have just downloaded stuff on their computer.
>>
>>60800126
So what is it a collection of if it's not music?
>>
>>60796568
yeah.. when spotify closes another company will open and offer the exact same service. welcome to the 21st century.
>>
>No Midori
>No Shinsei Kamattechan
>No Fishmans
>Not even Shonen Knife
nah
>>
>>60800299

bits
>>
>>60801252
And a record collection is a collection of plastic
>>
>>60800043
No it doesn't. At least, not on PC.
>>
>>60801330

exactly (well, vinyl but w/e)

you can't own music man
>>
>>60801335
I tried it with Swans' To Be Kind on Android. I saw that shit and uninstalled immediately.
>>
>>60801340
Vinyl is a plastic. PolyVinyl Chloride ring any bells?
>>
>>60801340
You technically can't own anything, ownership is a human invention.
>>
File: acat.jpg (83 KB, 710x680) Image search: [Google]
acat.jpg
83 KB, 710x680
>>60801510

ain't that the truth
>>
>>60796489
>i feel like there's no point in having a music collection anymore
There isn't, "collecting" music through the internet was always the dumbest most tedious thing this website ever gave credence to.
Like well done for "collecting" 300gb of music but at the end of the day you're only going to be listening to the same 40 or so artists you usually listen to.
>>
>>60801510
technically you can't touch anything, because our particles never actually touch
>>
>>60796489
Sure, if you only listen to top 40 music. Otherwise spotify's library is meh, even when they do have obscure artists they're usally also missing a few albums
>>
>>60800126
How is data in your hard drive not real? You must think that sound produced through speakers isn't real sound either, and colors on a screen aren't real colors
>>
>>60801712
Sound isn't sound, it's just waves. Same with colour, also just waves.
>>
>>60801712

some of the colours on our screen aren't real tho

like yellow or purple etc
>>
>>60801637
Technically particles don't exist, it's just a grouping of energy which we label as a single object.
>>
File: spotty.png (1 MB, 1311x866) Image search: [Google]
spotty.png
1 MB, 1311x866
>>60801678
oh get the fuck off your high horse with that "top 40 music" comment. spotify has an enormous library and i use it for 95% of my listening, even for super obscure stuff i see on here, and just mega the rest.
>>
>>60801801
>install spotify
>search for ghost
>mfw they dont have it
next try:
>search for big black
>areyoukiddingme.jpg
>uninstall dat shit
>>
>>60801801
Too bad they're always missing albums, even when they do have somewhat lesser known artists. I mean, spotify doesn't even have Coil, that in itself is a deal breaker for me
>>
>>60796489
>missing albums
>can't get leaks and listen the album a whole month before it releases
>>
>>60802010
this
what the fuck?
>>
>>60802010
>>60802055
muh coil!!!
>>
>>60800100
Get a student card
>>
File: 1449202539056.jpg (360 KB, 826x977) Image search: [Google]
1449202539056.jpg
360 KB, 826x977
>>60802140
>I love being limited to what artists I can listen too
>>
>>60802001
>>60802010
I don't want to sound like a dick but the thing has everything NWW ever did (Including soliloquy for lilith) , as well as Jesus Lizard and every metal band which is better than Ghost (which is nearly all of them).

So it isn't like Spotify hasn't got you covered on those fronts and it isn't like it's never going to acquire those artists, it's just going to take some time.
And once TPP comes in you're all up shit creek when it comes to downloads.
>>
i only use spotify to check stuff out before deciding whether i want to download albums or not.

also spotify has insanely shit tagging on a lot of albums, and i'm very autistic with my tagging.
>>
>>60802307
dude not the gay swedish metal band ghost. The japanese exp. rock band ghost. The guys who made hypnotic underworld
>>
>>60802307
Spotify sometimes has things like nww, but other times they're completely lacking in what I want to find. If I'm going to be downloading what they don't have half the time, I might as well just download whatever I want to listen too through soulseek and not even bother with spotify. Maybe in the future if they do have more music I'll use spotify, I mean it's not like I go through the two extra steps of downloading through soulseek because I like doing slightly more work. Even for quick listens youtube has much more music
>>
>>60800489
Yep. A hoe needs a pimp.
>>
you lose connection to the internet.
now what.
>>
>>60802637
Another reason why I don't use spotify, my internet goes out all the time
>>
>>60802254
you can still download the other albums, and listen to them on spotify, so you can have everything in one place
I don't see what the problem is.
>>
>>60802396
Oh well they have a lot of the shit Acid Mothers Temple did as well as some of the stuff from LSD March, if you're looking for Japanese psych.
>>
>>60802682
Spotify premium has an offline mode for albums you want to listen to :P
>>60802428
Youtube is also a fine method for listening to music desu.

I personally think streaming services are going to become more ingrained in our day to day technology to the point where spotify will have nearly everything we want and where any artist who is going against the grain is limiting themselves in a pretty severe way.

It works well for someone like Adele to just abandon spotify because if we're honest her album doesn't have a very long shelf life anyway but artists who are trying to establish themselves with some kind of lasting influence are going to need spotify otherwise their music will become irrelevant in the years to follow. I don't think this is necessarily a good thing btw, I just think this is the price the music industry is going to have to pay for these new technologies, which are replacing the space where physical media and itunes used to be.
>>
>>60802354
this
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.