[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/ Production General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 17
File: 1447949535528.jpg (80 KB, 383x414) Image search: [Google]
1447949535528.jpg
80 KB, 383x414
Lunga is back edition

Production Resources:
>Pastebin - links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for DAW descriptions and other contributions
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com

>Mixing Secrets and misc. resources
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/64bx81yayqzch/Production

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP
>>
>>60784164
never got a solution in the last thread

SIDECHAIN ISSUES

sometimes when i use sidechain compression on Bass (sidechain source: kick drum), the bass track makes a clicking sound anytime the compression is triggered by the kick.

https://clyp.it/akcvmlhy
>>
>>60784259
what's your attack/release settings?
>>
File: Tascam DP006.jpg (72 KB, 960x732) Image search: [Google]
Tascam DP006.jpg
72 KB, 960x732
I asked this in the last thread, but it was pretty far gone by the time I asked:

So I just got pic-related in the mail and I fucking love the little thing.

I've only made shitty little sketches using my 3DS, a Boss DR-670 Drum Machine, an Acoustic Guitar, and a shitty Peavey Mic.

My question is this:

How do I get the most out of this thing? I've never really worked with a hardware recorder before, other than the one I use for work, which is a Zoom H2n.

I'm looking for articles, tips, tricks, and books on how to get the most out of a multi-track recorder.

I'm hoping to get help with everything from production to playing in time with the built-in metronome.

Also, does anyone else have one of these? How do you like it? Any neat ideas?
>>
So I figured I'd share this with you guys and see what experiences you've had with vocal effects.

>Go to guitar store yesterday
>Ask for the cheapest chorus pedal they have
>Guy asks what song I'm planning to cover
>I tell him that I'm not using it for guitar, but for vocals
>He says "But you can't do that."
>I explain that I'd done it in the past, but I sold all of my equipment when I took a break from music
>He just repeats "But you can't hook a microphone up to an effects pedal."
>Talk to manager
>He thinks I'm crazy to try it
>Agrees to let me hook up some stuff to show them it works
>It works, unsurprisingly
>Guys nearly shit themselves in confusion and terror

Do people not experiment with different sounds and junk? Like, why was it so shocking that you can use guitar effects with a mic?
>>
>>60784766
clicking still happens regardless of Attack/Release setting. If i set the Attack to max (1 sec) it reduces the click sound tho doesn't remove it entirely

is my kick too loud or something?
>>
>>60785012

What are some of you guys' favorite vocal effects and techniques?

I bought a vocoder the other day and I love it. I was just curious what neat tricks you guys use to give your vocals a unique feel.
>>
>>60785012
Oh god that's awful lol

Guitar oriented music stores are always the worst
>>
>>60785029
Have you fucked with the threshold?
>>
>>60785029
that's what happens when you sidechain to percussion with a really strong sidechain. just let it be, it's not an issue since you can't hear the click by itself when everything's playing, since it's part of the percussion.
>>
>>60785327
true, but I'm using the sidechain (and the kick) as a method of gating the bass... even without percussion.

is there something i could use to achieve the same effect without sidechain compression. (and without tons of volume automation) ?
>>
>>60785196
yeah, doesn't make a difference. as soon as the kick triggers the compression, the click happens.
>>
>>60785538
duplicate the kick channel and replace the kick with a similar duration weak sample and sidechain it to that. if the clicking still occurs, then use some a volume shaper plugin.
>>
>>60785622
The fuck? Screenshot your compressor, this doesn't make any sense. How can attack release and threshold all not affect it?
>>
>>60785663
something tells me it's the Ableton native compressor
>>
https://clyp.it/2qrojyeb

feedback pls
>>
>>60785622
Also, what's your ratio?
>>
File: learning music production.png (427 KB, 540x451) Image search: [Google]
learning music production.png
427 KB, 540x451
https://soundcloud.com/dirigible-2/missing-rain-wip
I need some advice on how to continue with this track. I'm going to add another lead in there, but I'm not sure what. I also want the drums to hit a bit harder, and the bass to be a bit fatter, how should I do this?

btw I use ableton and am a novice to production, have a bit more than the basics down but not too well traveled
>>
File: plsno.png (692 KB, 749x858) Image search: [Google]
plsno.png
692 KB, 749x858
Can someone here who uses ableton help me?

I want to record my digital piano via line, so i plugged it into my interfaces input and can now hear it in ableton, however the signal is mono, and i want to spread it to stereo. I did this before and i remember ableton doing that automatically, however i now have the problem that the signal is really quiet on one speaker (channel) and louder on the other

What do?
>>
>>60785747
>>60785724
>>60785663
figured it out. Apparently this always happens in the FF2 compressor model when sidechaining . FF1 doesn't have the clicking, tho it shapes the transient differently.
>>
File: monomidi.jpg (128 KB, 395x500) Image search: [Google]
monomidi.jpg
128 KB, 395x500
>>60786509
does your digital piano not have L and R output?

if you are only outputting mono, the signal will remain mono, unless you do some trickery with effects.
>>
>>60786515
why are you using 8 instead of 9?
>>
>>60786509
how is it mono if the left and the right are at different volumes? wouldn't that mean that you're sending and receiving the left and right as separate signals?
>>
>>60786726
cause i'm still using the same startup template i created in 8. by the time i remember to change it, i've already got it set pretty well in the mix.
>>
>>60786588
>>60786784

Okay, here is the weird thing. My digital piano has 2 line outputs, but both of them are mono, spread across both channels. Weirdly enough, depending on what INPUT i plug it into on my audio interface which channel is louder differs, however this does not happen if i use headphones for example.

Usually when there's an L/R output you're gonna want to connect both of them to your interface inputs and then select both input channels in the DAW, but that's not how this works.

It's confusing. I don't know what is going on. But i definitely know that i used to record my digital piano and simply spread the audio to stereo.
>>
>>60786870
>but both of them are mono, spread across both channels
just to be clear, you're saying it's just the stereo signal summed to mono coming out of your left and right outs? that doesn't sound right at all
>>
>>60786915
Okay, i'll try to explain.

It's a digital piano, Kawai ES100, when you play on it, obviously the sound comes out of both speakers (the speakers of the actual piano), but it doesn't actually seem to be stereo, since my digital piano would have seperate L/R outputs if that was the case. Instead it just has 2 Line outputs, both of which are just labeled as "phones" outputs. It's not like one of them only has the signal of the left channel and the other has the signal of the right channel. When i plug in my headphones for example, i hear the sound of the piano as if i was actually playing. However, when i plug it into my audio interfaces line inputs and put it on record in ableton i can only hear one of the channels, with the other one being so quiet that i wouldn't even have noticed that sound is coming from it until i put my hand on the monitor and felt the vibration.

Weirdly enough, when i put it into my second input of my audio interface (My interface has 2 inputs its a focusrite scarlett 2i4) that same effect is reversed, without me doing anything to the pianos output.

And i just don't understand why, or how to fix it.
>>
>>60787114
just split one of the phone outputs into your left and right inputs on your interface
>>
File: prod_4906844427.jpg (37 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
prod_4906844427.jpg
37 KB, 1000x1000
>>60787114
okay got it...

you have 2 headphone outputs (both are stereo ).

the problem is the audio interface inputs are mono inputs. Its probably taking the Left channel from both signals and combining them to make a stereo signal, which is causing frequencing cancellation.

You need a stereo splitter cable. pic related.
>>
i just purchased a tb-3 and was wondering if you guys have nay tip for coming up with basslines, it uses a a step sequencer and i always just kinda press keys in a pattern. any advice would be appreciated, thanks
>>
>>60787315
i tried one of those in a store and i couldn't make heads or tails of it
>>
>>60787539
i mean its fun and all but currently the basslines ive made are just trial and error kinda lol
>>
>>60785538
Why don't you just find the click via eq and cut it
>>
>>60786515
Use glue compressor if its in Abl 8 or fab filter
>>
>>60784259
holy shit how new to production are you?
>>
>>60787291
Weird. I was assuming it had to do something with me just doing something wrong since i used to do this without any issues.
>>
>>60786509
There's an option on the ableton channel (input)
that says 1-2 or something above the volume, fool around with that
>>
>>60787874
..or you could record midi and get a bitching kontakt piano vst
>>
File: -1x-1.jpg (765 KB, 1800x1198) Image search: [Google]
-1x-1.jpg
765 KB, 1800x1198
hey guys, need some gear advice

I'm looking for a sort of 808 style MIDI drum sequencer that basically works like the ableton push drum sequencer, but isn't ableton push. to my knowledge, the first couple of devices that come to mind do not work like that, like the arturia beatstep pro. I'm not looking to shell out for an elektron sequencer, because i specficially want drum rack control in ableton, so I want a MIDI controller.

maybe the m-audio trigger finger pro? (it just looks so dorky...). don't come at me with a sequentrix cirklon who has money for that? also do not care at all for the Engine.

does anybody else have any ideas? can the beatstep actually be used like that? all thoughts appreciated
>>
>>60785538
>is there something i could use to achieve the same effect without sidechain compression. (and without tons of volume automation) ?

YOU COULD TURN THE KICK DRUM OR BASS DOWN
>>
>>60785012

I posted this cool story be4

>local mom and pop music shop
>huge, filled to the fucking ceilings with instruments n shit
>need to buy entry level gear for my studio a DAC and an audio interface for listening and production rigs,
>I have the entire fucking internet but feel slightly leftist that day
>feel like "support muh local biz"
>head to the shop
>hi can I get a DAC?
>"wuts that"?
>ummm...how about an audio interface?
>"wuts that"?
>...where you plug your instruments for working with a computer?
>oh we don't have those
>....ok so what do you have for electronic music gear
>"nothing"
>no synths, no drum machines, no bass nothing?
>"nope"
>.....bye

I fucking swear, its like some of them want to go out of business for fuck sakes
>>
>>60787966
Ableton push
>>
>>60787991
>>60787928
>>60787874
>>60787845
>>60787834
>>60787811
jesus read the whole thread lol, he figured it out already
>>
>>60787928
piano vsts will never be as good as digital pianos or let alone actual pianos. these days digital pianos even simulate the effect that you can faintly hear other notes ring when you play a note, or the noise of the foot pedals
>>
>>60785538
Raise the mids and highs of the bass
>>
File: 1448976568638.jpg (266 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
1448976568638.jpg
266 KB, 1280x1707
>>60785538
Faint chorus on the kick will do the trick
>>
>>60788030
push sucks if you actually you know want to use ableton. you only have access to the ableton sanctioned packs when building kits and the navigation within the channel strip is garbage. machine really nailed the in-house workflow but it also just isn't a full daw and doesn't offer the almost endless flexibility of ableton. point being. no.
>>
>>60788242
>you only have access to the ableton sanctioned packs

I don't believe it. You can't put any sound on a push pad?
>>
>>60788060
Dunno mate, I've heard some cracking piano vsts in my time
>>
File: 1443302648295.jpg (232 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1443302648295.jpg
232 KB, 1600x1200
https://clyp.it/mbkd1pkf

feedback me
>>
>>60785538
Have you thought of changing your bass tone to one that doesn't clash with your kick
>>
>>60785012
>>60788001
my local music store had an oxygen 88 midi keyboard with the expression pedal input going out to a keyboard amp for like a month before they finally moved it to where all the other midi stuff was. also i have a music store green text story that's not really about them being incompetent but was just a really weird experience in general
>in music store trying out the refaces they've had sitting out for a while
>i'm using the internal speakers pretty quietly when this girl sits down behind me at one of the yamaha workstation type things and starts blaring out a bunch of piano lesson type songs
>i kind of glance at her like "really?" and go grab a pair of headphones
>can still hear her very loudly through headphones, get up to leave and see she is waving me over
>thinking "shit, is she gonna say something because i gave her a look?"
>instead she just starts talking about how she recorded the different parts of this song on the keyboard and that it lets you store up to 5 songs and some other random shit about the specs
>she hits play and it's twinkle twinkle little star with a piano, bassline and a violin or something
>she pauses it and starts explaining the differences in the timing of the notes between twinkle twinkle little star and the alphabet song and bah bah black sheep, im so god damn confused at this point
>say that i have to get going, she goes for a high five and does that thing that people do where they'll catch each other's hands and do the little midair handshake type thing
>i realize by now she's probably not all there
>says that next time she'll show me some stuff about playing the keyboard
>"sure, sounds... fun", pay and leave
>>
>>60785538
turn the turbo bass boost off
>>
>>60788111
>>60788138
>>60788307
>>60788346
and once more for good measure >>60788032
>>
>>60788332
was waiting for "holds up spork"
>>
>>60788269
I sold my push not too long after because of this limitation and frankly shit-tier navigation. so you can sequence and handle samples ina drum rack from push, but you cannot browse and load samples from the hardware that aren't included in ableton packs. well, I have the machine library of samples, which generally sounds 100x better than ableton samples, but I didn't have access to them.
ultimately push is great for sketching, and super solid for performance ( though it is quite heavy) but it's just not actually going to cut it for professional production if you intend to stay mouse-free.

(note: idk if push 2 and live 9.5 have addressed any of this)
>>
File: qmm.jpg (94 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
qmm.jpg
94 KB, 500x500
When i put samples in abletons simpler and want to play them they're out of tune, as in, a C on my midi controller isn't actually C. I heard you can somehow tell ableton what note the source of the sample is, so it will adjust itself and fix this issue, but i can't find that setting

Can someone post a screenshot of where to find it?
>>
>>60788496
detune, it's under transpose
>>
File: Capture.png (16 KB, 358x256) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
16 KB, 358x256
>>60788496
holy fucking shit how new are you?
1. play C on midi keyboard, put tuner after simpler, verify pitch. re-tune using transpose in simpler to C.
2. use "pitch" midi effect to adjust the MIDI input prior to simpler. idk why you would do this one.

see related. middle of screenshot. Simpler's second tab. pitch section.
>>
>>60788650
new
>>
https://clyp.it/fl443egw

A little D'n'Bish thing I'm working on
>>
>>60788836
fair 'nuff dogg. good luck. but this is basic and super essential. have fun.
>>
how to make heavy, repetitive, sub-y basslines like the one in this track? I'm particularly interested in how to keep it interesting over time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8DKusXE1S0
>>
File: 1406081788998.png (48 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1406081788998.png
48 KB, 184x184
Anyone else having this issue with Piano VSTs that sometimes it plays a note an octave higher instead/in addition of the actual note?

It's really fucking weird. I tried it with different Ableton Live Suite piano packs now and it happens on all of them. The MIDI track doesn't register a higher note input though so it can't be my midi keyboard.

Example: https://clyp.it/pb4oixc4

It's really fucking annoying. Haven't noticed anything like that happen with anything that isn't some kind of piano sound
>>
>>60789055
what plug in are you using?
>>
>>60789107
It's not a VST, it's an .alp file. It's called Grand Pianos, comes with Ableton Live Suite
>>
>>60789055
is it something to do with the velocity?
>>
hey /prod/, guy with no electronic music experience here. is there a way I can use a keyboard with a VST instrument to just play live like you can use amp sims for guitars? I'd like to just grab something and physically play, but be able to record the sound output easily.
yes, I realize I sound like I have no idea what I'm talking about.
>>
File: Scan_20151127 (3).png (2 MB, 1275x1752) Image search: [Google]
Scan_20151127 (3).png
2 MB, 1275x1752
Here's some pretty abrasive psuedo-random grain-sampled drum loops I cobbled together in pure data, fun way to pass the time

https://clyp.it/biqdlg0n
>>
>>60789303
yes
>>
>>60789374
okay, cool. would it be a standalone, or should I use a DAW? I usually work with Audition for my A/V work, but I got Live 9 Lite with my interface and I'm cool figuring out how to work it.
>>
>>60789055
Hahahaha wasn't there a guy a few weeks ago with the same higher octave on piano problem? Are you that same guy?
>>
>>60789166
>>60789506
Oh my god it is you after all
I'm so sorry I couldn't figure it out last time, but now I feel more amused and less helpless
>>
>>60789166
try using a vst then. mda piano is really good and it's free too.
>>
>>60789557
Yes. "Use something else" is a solution, but i'm more interested in what causes this to happen in the first place, because it's certainly not an effect that would go unnoticed by people, right? So there must be something wrong here
>>
>>60789615
it's the velocity

jesus this /prod/ is noob city
>>
>>60789825
It can't be since the notes i played are played on similar velocity. Also, this is not an effect you get on a real piano, so why would it be a thing?
>>
>>60789857
no idea why it's a thing, but i loaded up grand piano and i found the note you were playing and it doesnt seem to do that when i hit it softly enough.
>>
>>60788421
There's probably a crack to create your own ableton packs if that's the case
>>
>>60789913
I did the same a few weeks ago. I've never been able to replicate that problem with any of Ableton's piano instruments.
>>
>>60790290
See, now thats weird
>>
>>60789308

That's nice
>>
so if im making acid and its just a drum beat and a 16 step loop is it considered bad if its repetitive? ive been trying to make stuff like this latelyhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0VymztDPsE
>>
Newfag here, if I have a Protools/DAW recording, and then D-A convert it to tape, would it sound "better" like it has that analog warmth to it?
Recording right to tape sounds way too expensive to me and I'm a newb so I wouldn't know what I'd be doing.
>>
Absolute newfag to music production here. How did you guys get started on producing your music?
I just got myself the Cubase Elelments demo to try my hand on producing some songs and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the functions but I hope I'll get used to it soon.
>>
How do I become the next Avinci plez
>>
>>60792568

A couple things:

1. Try to learn an instrument, or atleast try to understand rhythm, notes, and chords. it'll be a good way of getting the music out of your head and onto the screen infront of you. Find a MIDI keyboard online if you can. Some of them are decent starter MIDIboards and you'll just have something to practice on.

2. Since its your first time making music, it's probably going to sound like someone taking a shit directly down your ear canal. Be patient with yourself, but also have goals in mind, like learning different scales or drum patterns. Practice practice for the love fuck practice.

3. Listen to a lot of fucking music. A LOT of fucking music. Youtube or spotify or whatever. Listen to different genres. Try to listen to a different album every day. It'll only take an hour (more or less) and it's fun to be adventurous and look for new things. It's like being a chef, tasting different foods and spices and seeing what YOU can do with them.

4. Just have fun with it, dude. If you're feeling discouraged, listen to some music to either chill out or look for different musical ideas. Have music in your life. As long as your listening or making music, you're working on it.
>>
>>60792836
1. Yeah I've played the piano for years and been learning guitar for almost 3 years now.

2. I've already recorded some songs but it was just some fooling around in Audacity before, I never even knew how much further I could take it with a proper DAW.

3. I usually don't listen to a lot of music actively, I like making it though. I feel like I'd start subconsciously plagiarize things from the albums I've heard if I did listen to more but that's probably a dumb fear right?

4 .Thanks man, I'm having a blast so far, hopefully I won't drop this like most of the other hobbies I've started when it starts getting more complicated and detailed...
>>
>>60793193
>. I feel like I'd start subconsciously plagiarize things from the albums I've heard if I did listen to more but that's probably a dumb fear right?

It's understandable, actually. On one hand I get that you'd want to make something that isn't accidentally inspired by other music. At the same time, a lot of music has been using the same notes and ideas for 100 years. It's okay to copy ideas or "structures" like pop music or rock music, but of course you should experiment with notes and ideas along the way.
>>
>>60790995
Acid is still alive and well, but a 1 bar loop over drums isn't really going to cut in 2015. Check these tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_bwflrrPwI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HWs-FOXN6E
>>
I'm trying out hardstyle. The kick is placeholder, obviously it's not a hard kick, but I wanna know if I'm on the right track with the style.

Feedback appreciated :)
>https://clyp.it/jtxtmrec
>>
>>60792568
>How did you guys get started on producing your music?
Piano lessons
Started playing guitar
Started writing songs on guitar
Started writing songs for band
Started fooling around on Fruityloops
Its been constant practice and learning about music since then. (I started using fruityloops 14 years ago, at age 15!)

I've been trying to find decent organ libraries. This is the best result I've been able to acheive so far, blending Toccata and the Samplephonics Town Hall Organ (Which is free):

https://clyp.it/khil4wpx

The libraries tend to cut in and out during a render though, so had to strip them back to 2 voices per Kontakt, and export each part before doing a final render. Playback is fine up to 4 voices, but for some reason doesn't like exporting without cuts. Might be to do with both libraries being WAV based.
>>
File: image.jpg (10 KB, 157x161) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10 KB, 157x161
So if I wanted to have a completely analog setup to the point where I could walk into my room and just start playing without a computer, but want to be able to record it to a computer (ableton) sometimes, what equipment would I need?
>>
i need help getting the drums to sound level for the ep.
any tips? im using fl studio.

https://clyp.it/uzopzcuq
>>
>>60792568
>How did you guys get started on producing your music?

I heard a radio story about Fruity Loops when I was about 14 or 15. After that I ripped off various artists for about 8 or 9 years using various DAWs and techniques. I started on Fruity Loops, then Renoise (trying to be Venetian Snares) then Ableton (trying to be Schlomho), then, right now at least, I use Reason. I learned a lot along the way, but I also feel like I wasted a lot of time by not learning music theory, or even a sort of folksy working model of theory, as soon as I could. Also I feel like I could have progressed faster if I learned more about what my DAW was capable of sooner, or just learning basic things about compression, different types of filters, gates, all the "boring" parts of music production (at least you think they're boring when you're 15-16, if you're like me). My best advice I can give you is to just keep grinding, keep trying, and always be listening to new stuff and trying to understand what people are trying to do with their sounds.
>>
>>60793534
if you dont know this you probably shouldn't get analog gear. not trying to diss you or anything, just saying that if you're at the level of knowledge that you're at, analog stuff that's worth buying is a big investment to make
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.