[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's Saturday night so why not?! Ask questions, answer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 16
File: Screenshot (127).png (212 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (127).png
212 KB, 1366x768
It's Saturday night so why not?!

Ask questions, answer questions, circlejerk about techniques or whatever the fuck, share plug-ins because none of us have enough right? Stuff!

The screenshot is just my current project which I just just started, so don't get mad.
>>
>>50398766
Is that a new version? I don't mean the color, it looks smoother
>>
>>50398766
I am new to Max for Live, I'm not planning on making my own tools, but what should I look for in pre-made tools? What is some cool stuff you can get from it?
>>
>>50398796
No, it's live 9.1.

>>50398819
M4L is really cool, I got Tonebox 2 today for 5 bucks, pretty legitimate. Otherwise in the free department I would recommend dcshihatdelay, XLFO, L.Splay, L.Resonator, Shoogler and get yourself an oscilloscope too. Those are some audio effects.

Instrument-wise I recommend Bertha 2 (Organ), L.Sh, the point blank riser, Minotaur and DP.HouseHat.

Also spend much time exploring http://maxforlive.com/ where pretty much every device in existence is found.
>>
File: Current Project.png (105 KB, 1347x736) Image search: [Google]
Current Project.png
105 KB, 1347x736
A Juke/Footwork track I've been working on for the past week or so, it's starting to get a bit stale after all this time though.

As for favorite plugins; anything from FabFilter & Zebra 2.
>>
since this ableton thread is here, what do you guys rec for drums? i kinda know my way around ableton but i cant get my drums to sound less corny. any advice? also does anyone have a good DL link for drum clip or plugins? 'preciate ya
>>
just the thread i was looking for, i was cruising old stuff and came across this

http://lab.andre-michelle.com/fl-909

it's an online 909 emulator and there's even a 303 amongst other cool stuff as well

enjoy!
>>
>>50399310

It has a lot to do with layering samples, EQ, and some parallel compression can do wonders.

For example a "snare" in one of my tracks contains a clap, a snare lifted from a break and a hat for some top end. After some volume enveloping I compress with the Glue.
>>
>>50399415

If you like that check out http://www.audiotool.com/

Full fledged DAW in the browser
>>
>>50399420
hey thanks dude. I'll start fooling around with it.
>>
>>50399514
cool! thanks for sharing i shall check it out in my spare time.
>>
Does anyone have any videos for learning the different things of a synth? Like LFO, etc? I'm trying to program some synths but I don't really have any idea what I'm doing.
>>
found this in the archive https://mega.co.nz/#!iBNT2JZa!YXjfEVpKhC8Pi93a8p2bzHOtLl1Q-q3oXQqfB-RK_74

hundreds of sampled drum hits from various drum machines
>>
>>50399564
Check this series out, Sadowick's channel is a goldmine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgf0LPjRFpA
>>
>>50399828
Alright, cool. I just got into this stuff, and I'm having trouble completing tracks and getting ideas, etc. As I learn the technical stuff, ins-and-outs, etc, will it be easier make things? Cause right now I start things but I never know how to continue or properly do make I want to make.
>>
>>50399625
Ha! That was me, OP. Glad you guys are still enjoying it.
>>
>>50399945
Ohh most definitely! As time goes on and the more you practice the better you become at transcribing the sounds in your head to your DAW.
>>
>>50399945
It's good to learn techniques so if you have an idea or an obstacle in the way then you know exactly how to figure it out. and then you will learn your own techniques and amaze yourself and others.

but in the end it's all about how it sounds. so learn as much as you can and your ideas will be easier to get down.

never stop learning!
>>
>>50398766
nice skin, care to share?
>>
>>50400215
Pretty sure it's Disco which comes default with Live 9.
>>
>>50400349
>>50400215
It is disco.
>>
For anyone struggling with beats, attack magazine has this awesome section on creating different types of beats.

http://www.attackmagazine.com/technique/beat-dissected/
>>
Does anyone else get really tired while making music? I tend to do it after midnight but normally I'm pretty awake. But when I start playing/producing I need to force my eyes open and sometimes lay down from tiredness
>>
>>50401892
Not really, I produce in my highs, I have BPD. Eventually, hours and hours later I run out of steam but I don't get tired. I just start playing shit melodies and stuff then I know its time to stop.
>>
How the fuck do I get the midi display to go to the big blocky notes, not the tiny ones I can barely see?
>>
>>50401943
On ableton, I mean.
>>
File: Screenshot (129).png (176 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (129).png
176 KB, 1366x768
>>50401943
Hover over where the red box in the shot is, click and drag.
>>
>>50401989
Thanks a bunch man.
>>
Bumping with an old jungle (?) screenshot.
>>
>>50401819
whoa this is cool, thanks!
>>
Bumping with Renoise
>>
Have you guys got any idea how to achieve a sound similar to the synth at the beginning of this track?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9EMy27VfrY
>>
File: 1391636747553.gif (1000 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
1391636747553.gif
1000 KB, 300x450
https://soundcloud.com/jsongmusic/raesremmurdnofux

just finished a song i made. i was on lots of caffeine. lemme know how shitty the bass sounds and how overprocessed the vox sound
>>
>tfw you dont know how to master your track to get it to sound the way you want and its been killing you for months and you dont even like the track anymore and hate working on it but want to finish it anyway
>>
>>50404440
>ruining the good name of DATA
>>
>>50404466
is there already a guy? it was a nickname someone gave me so i did it
>>
>>50404458
>tfw I made one of the best most emotional songs ive ever made and i fucked up the mastering so bad i gotta wait so i can send it to my friend
>>
>>50404470
https://soundcloud.com/0data0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmH24zwBpb4
dudes popular too

>>50404485
got an unmastered version? i'll take a crack at it
>>
>>50404509
whatever fuck this guy and his 80's revival music im not changing my shit for that
>>
>>50404547
>choosing a name somebody else already has that is more popular than you and has a cult following already

are you even trying?
>>
>>50404554
i can always just change mine if i ever get popular, i have like 30 views bro
>>
>>50404509
no sorry its not finished and i like 2 keep shit in-house.
>>
Does anyone else have problems with getting a decent high end in Ableton? I know how to master and do fine in other DAWs but even if I totally overuse EQ boosts and harmonic excitement in Ableton tracks I still barely get anything above 3k or so
>>
>>50404581
kind of. thats the issue im having right now with my project. I just cant get anything from around 3khz to settle properly with me.

like if i compare it to my reference master the spectrum is almost identical to where everything peaks at but sounds like its missing something for whatever reason

im pretty sure its my fault this time since i havent had something like this before
>>
>>50404581

Ableton EQ a phasey shit, no good for mastering

You can't boost what isn't there. The problem could be that your mixes don't actually have much in the frequency band that you want to excite doesn't actually have much in it in the first place apart from the reverb or some small artifacts. Try adding a new instrument, maybe something like a new synth playing the same melody but high passed or something like that.

But if you can export the track and it will be completely fine when you use another EQ in another DAW then idunno what to suggest apart from looking into some good EQ plugins.
>>
>>50404641
I do use Ableton's EQ, so that could be it. On the second point, I did test it by basically putting some really high-pitched chimes at like C5, high-passed it moderately, and put a little high-band excitement and it still only barely registered above 3k when exported. I'll check out some EQ VSTs and see if that does it
>>
bumping with current project

rate this new compressor i bought

i rate it highly
>>
>>50404581
I don't believe I have this issue, I'm on 9.1 dunno about you. People did complain in the past about Live 8's audio engine being sub-par but I never really looked into why/what do.

If anything, I would recommend FabFilter's Pro-Q, I lurv it.
>>
>>50404896
>buying plugins
>transitional wub
>intro -> bridge
post a clip of the song please?
>>
>>50405640
ok pls hold
>>
>>50398766
how the fuck do i record my bass to bitwig OP?
>>
god dammit i need a producer alias.

should i just go by the exit name i live off? is that creative or something? ive got nothin
>>
>>50405736
Can you be more specific? I am OP (God what am I still doing here) and I do use Bitwig.

Are you recording a synth? Or an actual bass? Do you you want MIDI out from Bitwig?
>>
>>50405529
the thing about abletons audio engine being subpar is more based on technical factors rather than any measurable sound issues i think.

it's really not built for mastering though, i would still mix and master in pro tools if i had it.
>>
>>50405778
Speaking of. I usually do "mastering" (Pfff as if) with ozone on my master in Live. I mix on the fly.

Would it be better if I were to mix/master in Sonar X3? And if I did, does that mean I can't be putting delays and reverbs on anything? Can't really EQ and such?
>>
>>50405640
https://soundcloud.com/mailey/ryrweheaur/s-ZXlaN

it's still very much in its early stages. i bet it's not going to sound much like this at all when it's finished
>>
>>50405800
'best' practice is to do your mix, then bounce the whole track out. this is your master track that you apply sheen or lift or whatever to with ozone. its an important psychological shift imo, separating the mix and master in to two distinct stages.

ozone has everything you need, or something like t-racks if you want a different sound.

haven't used sonar in a very long time so i dunno about that specifically
>>
>>50405890
Ah okay, so I'm doing alright as is? I don't mix while I master. Let's say I have section A completed, I'll mix that, then move on the next section, mix that when it's done and so on. At the end I make sure the transitions are alright and whatnot. Then and only then do I put ozone on the master.
>>
File: robbyswires.jpg (15 KB, 178x251) Image search: [Google]
robbyswires.jpg
15 KB, 178x251
>tfw so disappointed in my producing over the last 4 years despite growing immensely I make an EP filled with your personal failures to forever haunt me and it now has over a few hundred plays

why did i do this
>>
>>50405850
thanks, nice sound design.
the style isn't really my bag but you're good at what you do.
>>
>>50405929
yeah that makes sense. i would recommend bouncing the master out and put it in a new session before putting ozone on though.

like i say thats just 'best' practice anyway, the reality is often much lazier and sloppier
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44I2VB96ryU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-tOkt9rafk

Does anyone have an idea how to synthesize this sound?
I want to say it's a violin with a bunch of filters.
>>
>>50406082
just a synth pad dude
>>
>>50406135
Which?
>>
>>50406213
idk
>>
>>50405752
i want to record my bass guitar through line-in on my shitty audigy 2. it works, because i am able to record it in fl studio. help, op
>>
File: Screenshot (132).png (130 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (132).png
130 KB, 1366x768
>>50406640
Oh easy.

So make sure your ASIO panel is obviously all set up right.

Then select an audio track in bitwig, this will bring up the track options in the inspector, look at the bottomish left of the screenshot.

By default the starting audio track isn't set up for inputs. So click on No Input and select the input you want to record from, that's it.
>>
>>50407915
thanks bro
>>
>>50407985
Ain't no thang but a chicken wang. I'll be here until the thread dies, so if you have any more questions post dat shit p-p-post dat shit, holy fuck I got hit, like a motherfucking brit, ain't I candlelit? Ay yo I'm complicit, man this is such bullshit.
>>
>>50398766
How do I turn a cool loop into a fool song?
>>
>>50408109
Create your loop and then put it starting at bar one and then loop it for 4 minutes.
>>
>>50407915
thank you sir
>>
>>50408109
make an intro out of certain elements by taking out some drums and the hook and stuff, do the same for the bridge and outro etc and then the inspiration to add and change things comes from there.

if we're talking about bleep bloops.
>>
File: Screenshot (133).png (145 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (133).png
145 KB, 1366x768
While I have Bitwig open, here's a neat little tricky doo.

Fun with LFOs and Comb Filters! Let's get it on.

So create a beat, then program a hi-hat pattern with the E-Hat instrument. Ideally you would throw in some open hats too, but if not it's fine.

Here's our beat kosher: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1otoeoALjjT

Next, put an LFO on each hat (Or rather the each hat in an LFO, whatever). Now the fun begins.

With modulate both decay times with a sample & hold wave, with fairly decent speed 4hz or so should do it. Adjust to taste.

Now your hats have a bunch of movement! WITHOUT THE PAIN OF AUTOMATION WOOO!

Here's with the modulation of decays: http://vocaroo.com/i/s00AP6dfWH9q

Now finally, throw comb filters on both hats. Whether it's in the hat's FX slot or not fun matter. Map the LFO 1, the one that's modulating decay, to the frequency. Next, we'll use LFO 2 to modulate feedback. Watch out! Set the modulation too high and the feedback will go to max, which causes unpleasant sounds. Set the feedback of the closed to half way right and the opposite for the open hat, just so they don't sound the same. Once again WATCH OUT, DON'T LET IT GO TO MAX FEEDBACK.

Then pan the closed like 20-30% left and the open the same, but right, to give them their own spaces.

Here's it done: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1fYyM7QfGcY

Hope you enjoy this trick! Add some more things to it i.e.: bassline, pads, lead and it works out nice. It's pretty potatoes if I do say so meself.
>>
>>50409070
Sorry about the typos all over I was just trying to be a cool guy, eh.
>>
File: 888880017900-744.jpg (75 KB, 864x595) Image search: [Google]
888880017900-744.jpg
75 KB, 864x595
What do you guys think about Arturia SparkLe and Spark 2 software particularly?
>>
>>50409435
I've been fuxing with Spark 2 VST a bit, I like the improvements over the v.1, but I haven't gotten too in depth with it yet. I don't think the SparkLE is worth it unless you're doing live stuff
>>
>>50409461
>I don't think the SparkLE is worth it unless you're doing live stuff
But isn't it fun to jam with it in groovebox style while sitting in your room?
>>
>>50409507
Sure I guess there's that. However if I want to do that I just create a drum rack in Live and control clip contents from Touchable 2, so for me, it isn't much use unless I were doing something live.

If I were doing something live then it would be pretty good I think, as touchable would have to act as my clip launcher/mixer.
>>
>>50409461
>>50409507
like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJXmuhCOUlI
>>
What's a good heavy duty piano stand that would hold up a Kurzweil 2600x on carpet without wiggling around?
>>
File: _DSC2157.jpg (2 MB, 3216x2136) Image search: [Google]
_DSC2157.jpg
2 MB, 3216x2136
synthabump
>>
File: WP_20141005_001.jpg (2 MB, 3552x2000) Image search: [Google]
WP_20141005_001.jpg
2 MB, 3552x2000
>>50410060
tfw no patch cables
>>
>>50410843
iktf, I'm going to be getting more so I can take pitch & gate out into the matrix.

That one stackable in the pic though is awesome so I can modulate PW and the Ultrasaw at the same time.
>>
>>50410886
i copied everything apart from the stackable bit

it was going so well until then
>>
>>50410899
Stackable is the brand name for that splitter/combiner cable. The red one.
>>
>>50410926
yes
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>50410926
Hell yeah motherfucker
>>
>>50411171
Shit your eat.
>>
>>50410060
>rolling papers placed casually next to synth
epic
>>
>>50411190
Most people do happen to shit what they eat.
>>
File: IMG_2622-1.jpg (402 KB, 1000x590) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2622-1.jpg
402 KB, 1000x590
bumping thread with the offer to ask an engineer anything about microphone positions, acoustics, software/hardware, mixing and mastering for the next 30 minutes
>>
>>50411686
How important is gain staging in the digital domain?
>>
>>50411834
depends on the software. different plugins and daws' audio engines react differently to extreme levels. A friend of mine did his bachelor thesis on that very topic, comparing some plugins (I think mostly waves and UAD) and some DAWs (there was pyramix, nuendo and protools, don't remember the other one) and basically only protools really provided audible results with the summing and of course their infamous master bus clipping. the plugins were full of shit, especially the UAD. so yeah, keep your levels reasonable if you want to be sure
>>
>>50411686
Is an RE-20 a good buy for somebody looking to record lots of cabs? I already have some cheapo large diaphragm condenser and an assload of SM58s.
>>
>>50411686
If I wanted a mic for field recording, would the AKG CS1000 + a portable recorder with XLR inputs be adequate?
>>
>>50412102
I really like that microphone, since it's really versatile. I mostly use it for brass but yeah it works really well in front of a speaker cabinet. I prefer the MD421 for that, though. give them both a listen I'd say
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.