[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ccg/ - Constructive Criticism General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 6
File: critics5.jpg (287 KB, 1277x1277) Image search: [Google]
critics5.jpg
287 KB, 1277x1277
So we have tons of soundcloud and bandcamp threads, but they kind of end up being circlejerks where no one gets any good advice. Let's make a thread where we post whatever music we've made, on any platform, and give criticisms for at least three other anons.

I'll start:
soundcloud.com/undermisteroceanssky
>Psychedelic Rock, Dream Pop, Shoegazey, Tame Impala, Pond and Dead Meadow are huge influences

I'm seriously considering going lo-fi for the sake of overall quality; I haven't recorded my newest batch of songs, about an EP's worth, because I only have a blue yeti microphone and no interface to work with, but I don't want to keep going with the formula I fell into of using crappy drum samples. I feel like my sampling technique has improved since I've started (compare both takes of Waves at Noon), but at the end of the day I don't feel like samples will ever beat out real drums in this genre. Any good suggestions? Should I just keep it up and worry about my setup later?
>>
File: 1445062080161.gif (947 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1445062080161.gif
947 KB, 500x500
just gonna bump
>>
File: image.jpg (934 KB, 2500x2433) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
934 KB, 2500x2433
>>60647990
Gonna leave feedback when I get home. I'd love to scope out some of your stuff

https://abelian1.bandcamp.com/

Here it is. Don't be gentle
>>
File: 1448541664777.png (8 KB, 640x478) Image search: [Google]
1448541664777.png
8 KB, 640x478
>>60648758
Preface with the fact that you're super active in the community and that's great, thank you.

I listened to Gossamer first, and the begining felt like the feeling you get when you walk alone at night in a city and its kind of chilly. Then the melody starts and the song began to get a good personality, and this part is seriously good. Next, when the percussion kicks in, it feels super sudden and almost too harsh for the current soundscape that's been established. After it's settled in for a second I can really dig it; the song gets really really good. Overall I think it would benefit from being just a little compacted, as it feels really long for what it is, not that I have anything against long songs (Earthless is one of my favorites), it's just that sometimes a song shouldn't be any more or less than what it should be (I know that's vague but you might get what I mean).

Then I listened to Amber, and I like the atmospherics, especially at the end of the song, with the faint chimes and rain - it's pretty cash money. Amber suffers from a lot of the same problems I had with Gossamer, in that when the song picks up it feels too harsh and sudden. On the flip side, I seriously loved the guitar riff and the tone on the bass was just phat and monstrous.

Overall I really enjoyed the two, and I've listened to your stuff in the past as well. My only real sugestions would be to find a good way to queue up when a loud or heavy part is about to surface, that way it carries the listener with it instead pounding them suddenly. Seriously though, what you're doing is beautiful, and if I had the money I'd buy what you have for sale.
>>
File: KnKn - MiM.jpg (938 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
KnKn - MiM.jpg
938 KB, 1000x1000
>>60647990
Cool idea.
I literally just use a blue Snowball iCE microphone and reaper to edit with. I use drum samples occasionally, but very sparingly because I'm shit.
You're stuff is pretty solid though, sometimes the whole ocean effect doesn't really work all that nicely, e.g. in Waves at Noon it just seems to be there for the sake of being there, but other times it really nails the vibe.

>>60648758
You're stuffs always good Abelian. Sometimes the build ups are just a bit slow but other than that I don't have much too mark you down on. Maybe in Gossamer I would have liked it without the drums, but that's being picky.

Anyway here's my shit:

https://soundcloud.com/knknmusic

>Folk
>Acoustic
>Ambient
>Chill
>Singer-Songwriter

Also on Band-camp if that takes your fancy.
https://knkn.bandcamp.com/album/magnetism-in-mankind-ep
>>
>>60648758
>>60649161
Also, I forgot to mention that all of your work has this sense of grandness and such a large feeling to it that I really admire and appreciate.
>>
>>60649161
>>60649202
Starting off with this: thank you two so much. I'll be writing in-depth reviews on your stuff when I get home
Second of all, the drums on Gossamer are kind of harsh and noisy on purpose: that song was kind of about the tumultuous and crazy time of my life when I first fell in love, and I kind of wanted to reflect that reckless abandon in the music
Again, thanks for all the feedback!
>>
Bumping this so others can get feedback
>>
These discussions are generally better suited for /prod/
>>
>>60650588
Thought that was a whole new board then.
>>
File: Frontal Impact Lobster.jpg (332 KB, 1290x1290) Image search: [Google]
Frontal Impact Lobster.jpg
332 KB, 1290x1290
>>60647990
https://soundcloud.com/bagels105oranges-elpu
best songs

i am the electronic lobster prophet unleashed, or elpu, a crunchwave electronic group with an intense and experimental style.

>crunchwave, you ask, what's that?

you'll find out, give it a listen, a few songs. you'll be hooked!

check out the free albums on bandcamp and the newer tracks on the soundcloud

there's also an blog, website, youtube channel, religious cult! you'll find it from the links on the soundcloud

>returning all feedback <3 enjoy the music!

check out the newest music video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq1ZP_41C-8 [Embed] [Embed]

https://soundcloud.com/bagels105oranges-elpu
or elpu.bandcamp.com

reccs:
nub scrub
hyper specific
cis scum boys
tony chu
toilet friend
SONP
i can't get around to listening to everyone's stuff, i delve into certain channels after finding them
by sight. post good graphics! but the three in this thread i will review are:

>>60648758
Good music, it's very well composed and is mastered really nicely, but there should be more uptempo. I feel like if they were sped up a bit it'd sound even better.

>>60649161
you're a lobster too? hey friend

>>60649202
very chill music indeed, i first found you on soundcloud. i like it, and the vocals work surprisingly well with the whole thing, but i simply don't relate to the lyrics as well as others would so i can't really say much for that, i'm not the right person.

refer to my recommends for other /mu/sicians i like
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.