[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's the big deal over her?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
File: grimes333.jpg (51 KB, 650x367) Image search: [Google]
grimes333.jpg
51 KB, 650x367
what's the big deal over her?
>>
Art Angles
>>
She's a meme that's it
>>
>>66443200
Grimes:
>singer
>songwriter
>producer
>sound engineer
>lyricist
>live performer
>visual artist
>music video director
>poet
>musical artist
>musician
>music maker
>lyrist
>lyricswriter
>songbird
>songsinger
>troubadour
>music player
>player
>actor
>actress
>painter
>artist
>music writer
>melodist
>composer
>artiste
>dancer
>danseur
>model
>hoofer
>virtuoso

Pretty much the complete artist.
>>
>>66443200
Probably this: >>66443570
I guess people are paid somehow to shill. We haven't had a jazz thread for a while now and when we do, it dies it the same day. Good thing that Grimes and Kpop threads are up and running every single day and with 200+ replies.
>>
>>66443871
I don't care about kpop, but Grimes is way more interesting than those insufferable jazz threads. Jazz is boring and soulless, deal with it. People find Grimes relatable, that's why they talk so much about her.
>>
>>66443570
Waifufags are just pathetic weeaboos.
>>
>>66443200
And another one: >>66443911
I think you understand now.
>>
>>66443570
Anyone can call themselves all of those things and half ass it like she's doing. In this day in age, being a multi-instrumentalist and artist isn't a big deal because things have become easier to create.
>>
>>66443991
And more importantly - mediocrity has become prevalent. Doesn't seem to concern many people though.
>>
Visions is pretty decent and has two great singles. that's it.
>>
>>66443991
>being a multi-instrumentalist and artist isn't a big deal because things have become easier to create.
Grimes is also a producer, a music video director, a dancer, a visual artist.

>things have become easier to create
Only apparently. But actually the instruments are almost the same as before. And to properly use a DAW like Ableton Live isn't exactly a walk in the park. You need to learn a lot in order to make good music. Millions of artists but few good enough and very few amazing artists.
>>
>>66444047
(You)

The whole album is great. You should listen to it more than once.
>>
>>66444092
if you make a single MV you're already a producer, a mv director and a visual artist

just move your body during it and you're also an actor/dancer

so tough
>>
>>66444092
Almost every single pop ''artist'' isn't and artist in a true sense and the music is mediocre. I don't consider making drum loops on a PC a virtue or a redeeming quality of a musician.
>>
>>66444116
>ignorant about some respected jobs
If you think it's that easy, why don't you make a MV? Let's see what you got.
>>
File: crdts.png (36 KB, 263x910) Image search: [Google]
crdts.png
36 KB, 263x910
>>66444092

>Director

"I want you to go over there and do this shit. Oh and you, I want you to go over there and do that shit."

>Editor

Buy FinalCut and splice scenes together. I had one class in college, shit is easy including syncing video with sound.

>Art Direction

"I want to have these people dancing and shit."

>Additional animator

Basically standing behind the ACTUAL animator and saying she likes it.

Is she was DoP, that be a different story. But she's not because that actually takes skill and knowledge. She took the parts where she just guides people and tells them what to do.
>>
>>66444105
i do enjoy it and have listened to it a bunch. it's a solid 7, just not worth spamming her mug all day everyday for.
>>
>>66444152
Give me the budget 4AD is giving Grimes and I'd be up for it. The thing is, the MV isn't even that spectacular. None of her videos are. They are shrouded by weird design, fashion and effects just to make it look more complex.

Go watch some Michel Gondry.
>>
>>66444152
>If you think it's that easy, why don't you make a MV?
it is
i can literally record the wall of my living room and call it a MV (or even a movie - see Wavelength). then i would also be a respected artist because it would be so deep

you're not living in 1967 anymore pal. anyone can be a photographer. anyone can be a director. anyone can be a musician. there's nothing impressive about being those things. you know what's impressive? being a GOOD musician, being a GOOD director, being a GOOD artist. none of those things apply to grimeth though.
>>
>>66444204
Music isn't a visual art. When people tried making it visual or pictorial, we all know what happened.
>>
>>66443570
Lmao you're literally just grasping at straws
>>
>>66443911
>grimesfags are this stupid
>>
>>66444214
David Lynch. Brilliant films, gorgeous artist, and his albums, while they aren't too good, they actually have some merit. He has even exhibited numerous paintings and artpieces.

Now that's an artist.
>>
>>66444172
I can guarantee you that it's more than a 7.

>>66444204
She never had the big bugdets of Michel Gondry. Have some perspective.
>>
>>66444264
Brilliant example. But hey, guess who you're talking to? Probably to people that think Transformers is the greatest movie ever made.
>>
she's pretty cute in her nardwuar interview
>>
>>66444274
i dont think grimes fans would like transformers

they probably think blue is the warmest colour is a masterpiece though
>>
>>66444240
No. You're mad because he's pissing on your favorite genre, jazz. Admit it, jazz = pointless notes.
>>
>>66444307
I know what you want:
(You)
>>
>>66444268
>I can guarantee you that it's more than a 7
>thinking his personal opinion of his waifu's album is the objective rating
>>
>>66444307
>Admit it, jazz = pointless notes.
you're only proving my point further. Just stop posting. Or at least fuck off to your containment thread
>>
>>66444301
I wouldn't know what her fans would like. I was making a comparison. They're not able to differentiate between a mediocre and a great musician.
>>
>>66444268
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5FyfQDO5g0

You say that like she can take a music video like this and have the patience and vision to painstakingly capture multiple frames of a digital clip and stack them onto each other...and that's only for one second of a shot.

No way could she have the skill and eye to do that. Have some perspective on the creativity aspect of the craft.
>>
>>66444364
Jazz sucks. You know that. Almost no one listens to that boring shit. Only pretentious jerks.
>>
>>66444394
Oh boy, you really want all the:
(You)'s
>>
>>66444404
Unfortunately, I think he was born during of after '96 and actually holds that opinion.
>>
check
>>
>>66444445
i wish death upon myself
>>
I honestly think her fans are just suffering from mad cognitive dissonance and denial. For whatever reason they find her attractive and they've bought into the celebrity worship meme that the majority of the population has been suckered into. Because they love her as a person so much, they subconsciously convince themselves (against their better judgement) that her music is some masterpiece, despite its obvious medeocrity
>>
>>66444394
You know nothing about music and you shouldn't be allowed to shit up this board by trying to discuss it here
>>
>>66444445
im so sorry for your loss
>>
>>66444482
>Because they love her as a person so much, they subconsciously convince themselves (against their better judgement) that her music is some masterpiece, despite its obvious medeocrity
Are you're trolling bro? The "medeocrity" is in your brain, NOT A FACT. What if I question your favorite artists (I'd say you don't really like their music), how would you feel, jerk?
>>
>>66444515
Jazz is boring music for boring people.
>>
>>66444678
I don't worship my favorite artists as people. I separate art from the artist because I actually care about music, not shallow celebrity culture
>>
>>66444695
(You)
>>
>>66443200
Some people think she is cute, she is basically American K - Pop
>>
>>66444737
The Grimes fans worship her music, appearance and personality. All of these things. They love her music (which sounds really amazing) and they relate to her personality.

Just watch this video and you'll see why they love her so much: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSWwVYuqsVM
>>
>>66444678
Please tell me more how hard it is making drum loops on a PC. And what about live performances of contemporary music? Contemporary pop and other genres of mainstream music are not possible to be fully performed live. If you go to a concert of your favorite pop star - you're going to hear the same version of a song that you've heard on the album. And what's so bad about that? Let's hear:
https://youtu.be/JshARrVS_Q4?t=2m29s
>>
>>66444876
There are no more record companies, but what he said is more relevant now then it has been ever before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgVUei2853A
>>
>>66444876
Based zappa
>>
>>66444876
>Please tell me more how hard it is making drum loops on a PC.
It's hard to make INTERESTING drum loops. Did you know what for her song Kill V. Maim she used over 50 drum tracks? Do you think that's easy? Also do you think she's making only drum loops? Her songs contain multiple layers of synth pads, synth riffs, basslines, backing vocals, vocals, guitars, all kinds of effects. Way more complex than your boring favorite acoustic or rock music.

>Contemporary pop and other genres of mainstream music are not possible to be fully performed live.
So fucking what? Do you go to concerts to have a good time or to analyse live performances? On Grimes' live performances, she sings, dances, plays the samplers (she triggers and manipulates samples), plays some synth melodies, plays some guitar, modifys various settings of her mixer, effects board and vocal pedal. This is a pretty complex process for just one person.

Actually, nevermind. You're the Frank Zappa obsessed guy. It's impossible to argue with a narrow minded prick like you.
>>
>>66445103
(You)
How am I obsessed with Frank Zappa? His arguments are valid and you didn't refute any of them. You're just making ad hominem attacks instead of real arguments. If you bothered to watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgVUei2853A , you would understand why I don't respect contemporary artists. I'm going to assume that you're not a musician. You know, those weird people who are actually good at what they do and don't use PC as their instrument of choice. If you were, you would be ashamed of what you're saying.
>>
>>66445133
And are you the same guy that claimed he was a classical musician that went to a conservatory and praised mainstream pop music?
>>
>>66445201
>you would understand why I don't respect contemporary artists
You sound like a grumpy old man: the new music sucks and music used to be better when I was young. This is bullshit. Grow up and open your mind.

Music changes. It's your fault if you're behind it.
>>
>>66445239
I never said that.
>>
>>66445269
I'm looking for great contemporary music and I've found it. I just don't think Nicki Minaj, Justin Bieber and Grimes are on that list.
>>
>>66445320
>putting Grimes on the same list with those 2 hacks
Really? Try harder.
>>
>>66445361
All three are mediocre or just plain bad, but you won't accept that.
>>
>>66445133
>INTERESTING
>implying 4 chord verse-chorus pop songs are interesting
>>
>>66445390
>All three are mediocre or just plain bad
I don't care about the other 2, but according to whom Grimes is mediocre or just plain bad? Because according to critics and most listeners of her music, she's at least good. So, where's your proof?
>>
>>66445468
>implying Grimes made only 4 chord verse-chorus pop songs
>implying you can't make interesting music within this format
>implying you're not a snob
>>
>>66445472
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtH68PJIQLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxsmWxxouIM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrTbLXHKu8
PC generated drum beats... So revolutionary...
>>
>>66445494
I've listened to pretty much all of her singles and all of art Angels. Every single one was a formulaic pop song
>>
she's pretty meh. will be forgotten as a musician very quickly. if she wasn't an IRL version of a waifu to people on this board you wouldn't see any threads of her
>>
>>66445472
Listeners of mainstream pop music actually like the music they're listening to, no matter how bland and unoriginal it sounds? Gee, who would've thought...
>>
Grimes sounds like no one else
>>
>>66445639
(You)
>>
Grimes is nothing more than a product of her image. The way that she looks is the only reason why she's in the position that she's in now. Her music will ALWAYS be secondary to her appearance. Look how many music videos and photoshoots she's done. That's the only reason why people care about her. Just like any other pop star
>>
>>66445668
/thread
>>
>>66445604
>Every single one was a formulaic pop song
Ha ha ha. Then name some similar songs, dude. Let's see if they're formulaic or not.

And on a side note, you didn't listen exactly to her weirder music. Something like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9_oK44mbY0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy3FPRaeW3Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiUt6Ad3LHI

You Grimes haters are fucking pathetic. You say shit about her but you can't prove literally anything.
>>
>>66445719
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGTbiXEeb_c
Just fast forward this video and compare. It's all formulaic and for a reason, without you acknowledging it.
>>
File: Laughing.jpg (55 KB, 904x531) Image search: [Google]
Laughing.jpg
55 KB, 904x531
>>66445719
>You Grimes haters are fucking pathetic

A waifufag nitpicking three tracks from a girl who even claimed herself she doesn't know how to play music says people who recognize that a monkey can make the music she plays are pathetic.
>>
>>66443200
She's an incredibly talented musician/polymath with a taste for creating highly subversive pop-accessible art. People like that don't come around very often.
>>
>>66445819
(You)
>>
File: Image.jpg (111 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
111 KB, 612x612
>Her music will ALWAYS be secondary to her appearance.
Ha ha ha. There are MILLIONS of beautiful girls in the world (many, more beautiful than Grimes), but who's paying attention to them? Beauty doesn't bring you great music reviews. People are listening to music, not images. Also you haters criticized heavily EXACTLY her appearance, and now you're saying that her appearance > her music? What a bunch of deluded hypocrites. I spit on your faces.

>Look how many music videos and photoshoots she's done.
Grimes needs to put some food on her table, like anyone else. With so much music piracy she needs to make some money. Touring isn't as profitable as it seems for indie artists like her.
>>
>>66445793
You're confused. Stop consuming drugs. For your own good.
>>
>>66445719
You don't understand that there's music outside your comfortable she'll of ignorance. Like I said before, all of her songs follow a cookie cutter verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus pop formula. They're all 3-5 minutes long, they never deviate from a basic major or natural minor key, they all follow a steady 4/4 kick-snare rhythm, and they all recycle the same 3 or four chord progressions. Literally every song on the radio does these things.
>>
>>66445819
Agree.
>>
>>66445930
Don't mean to bash you, but you sound completely ignorant.

She's making money from shows, probably more than the photoshoots and fashion promotion. Touring is EXACTLY how you make money as a musician, especially when her label pays some expense.

And you really think her beauty or lack thereof isn't recognized because "there are millions of [other] beautiful girls in the world"? Dude, the girl looks unique, it's not her beauty that attracts the attention, it's her weird image and "different" looks that make people interested in her, especially Tumblr.
>>
>>66445954
Implying anyone who isn't a musician would even know what chords and chord progressions are and how they relate to music. It's really sad to see, who are we ''arguing'' with.
>>
>>66445954
To see how wrong you are:
>Be a Body starts with a jarringly disconnected IV - V - III progression wherein the III is actually a momentary dip into the relative major key's I (aka a I of III) thereby falsely leading the listener to believe that the song is in a major key (an effect further emphasized by spelling the III(I) chord in 1st inversion putting the incalcitrant major third of the chord at the bottom ). It's only when the true bass line comes in that the true Eb minor base of the rest of the song is revealed.

Someone analyzed her song Be a Body. This is clearly not your standard pop song. I think you didn't even listen to her discography. You also seem to hate the whole pop music genre. Are you a jazz fan (more notes > less notes)? Also what do you think about the simplistic Kraftwerk (pretty similar to Grimes in terms of rhythm and melodies)?
>>
>>66445994
You just proved his point. You listen to music - you don't watch it. There are other mainstream pop stars that look better than her for some people. Does that make them good musicians? Does the number of 14 year old girls liking your music actually make your music good? I know people are obsessed with her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA4iX5D9Z64, but is she any better than Grimes? Her songs are also formulaic, she's also playing it safe with three chords and that's about it. It's all about the image and looks and not about art and music.
>>
>>66445994
>Don't mean to bash you, but you sound completely ignorant.
You are.

>She's making money from shows, probably more than the photoshoots and fashion promotion. Touring is EXACTLY how you make money as a musician, especially when her label pays some expense.
I said "Touring isn't AS profitable as it SEEMS for indie artists like her". I didn't say she doesn't make any money from touring. Read again, ffs. She adds more money from photoshoots.

>And you really think her beauty or lack thereof isn't recognized because "there are millions of [other] beautiful girls in the world"? Dude, the girl looks unique, it's not her beauty that attracts the attention, it's her weird image and "different" looks that make people interested in her, especially Tumblr.
I meant that no one cares about millions of other beautiful girls because they don't have the Grimes' talent in art. You must create something special and unique to gain REAL attention. No one would care about Grimes if her music would be bad. Period.
>>
>>66445930
You are literally retarded. I said her image, not her beauty. People don't like her because she's the most beautiful, they like her because she's the quirky tumblr-core artsy fashionista. She dresses and acts in an aesthetically pleasing way and that's what people like about her
>hurr she has purple hair she's so artistic
And stop falling back on the music critic argument. I know just as many critics who dislike her as do like her. Plus either way music critics are not reliable, and the fact that you're basing your taste on what they say only proves that you don't know enough about music to form your own opinions. Pitchfork especially is laughably bad and corrupt
>>
>>66444390
Pic related

>The video’s craziest formal experiment is its play with aspect ratios and visual frames. It’s a similar experiment that we saw in Beyonce’s Lemonade, but the Boucher siblings bump up the experiment to a psychedelic extreme. The video flickers through different aspect ratios, beat by beat, and the music video’s visual climax shows one shot couched in four other shots, like Russian dolls, and each one of the shots is rich with color and movement. It’s visual anarchy.
>This music video just has too many cinematic ideas to absorb in one viewing. They’re like quarters spilling out of a slot machine. But Claire Boucher is a girl who exudes such powerful confidence in herself that she doesn’t even care if you notice the thousands of ideas that are whirring in her head. She doesn’t need that kind of validation. She just cares about having fun with her medium.
http://www.dailycal.org/2016/05/11/grimes-new-music-video-is-top-notch-experimental-cinema/
>>
>>66446038
Wow, one song from her discography doesn't follow the same, safe I-IV-V chord progression? Why didn't she continue not playing it safe?
>>
>>66446038
>Parroting what other people say even when you have no clue what you're talking about
Even if that one song has an unusual chord progression, it still follows every single other criterion I used to describe her music (and all other pop)
>>
>>66446137
You know what this review of yours reminds me of?
Patrick Bateman: Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your ass. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1mSJpOBXFU
>>
>>66445239
Nope - De Facto Classical Musician would be me, and fwiw I actually matriculated from two classical music conservatories - one in the U.S. and one in central Europe.
>>
>>66446137
The writer sounds inexperienced and makes it sound more glamorized technicality wise than it really is.

You think the author was talking about a video like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIazGRvkkHw Where the music video is actually in-sync with the music rather than just randomly using multi-shot framing and transitions everywhere.

I just watched the video, the only thing that is "visual anarchy" is the set design, which she didn't design herself..
>>
>>66446137
>After all, if Grimes’ video for “California” is any sort of prophetic vision, then maybe the most exciting cinematic innovations will no longer be made in feature films.

Please...please tell me his kidding. Please tell me this is a joke...
>>
>arguing about music videos and appearance
Who cares? this is a music board and her music is generic trash
>>
>>66443570
>>actor
>>actress
Kek'd
>>
>>66446130
You are a retarded faggot.

You said before:
>The way that she looks is the only reason why she's in the position that she's in now.
This is incredibly ignorant and stupid.

>People don't like her because she's the most beautiful, they like her because she's the quirky tumblr-core artsy fashionista. She dresses and acts in an aesthetically pleasing way and that's what people like about her
Are you implying that people (I mean most people) care more about "tumblr-core artsy fashionista" than her music? Are you a retard? Is she a musician or a model? Also don't you think that image AND beauty are strongly linked?

>And stop falling back on the music critic argument. I know just as many critics who dislike her as do like her. Plus either way music critics are not reliable, and the fact that you're basing your taste on what they say only proves that you don't know enough about music to form your own opinions. Pitchfork especially is laughably bad and corrupt
It's the consensus, you idiot. It's not about a music critic that loves Grimes, it's about MOST music critics that love Grimes. Check out her reviews if you don't believe me. Their opinion matter, not yours or mine. I could say that Grimes is the best musician ever, but how could I prove that? That's why I relied on external factors: music critics. By the way, I would say that Grimes is great even if all critics would hate her.
>>
>>66446432
>Are you implying that people (I mean most people) care more about "tumblr-core artsy fashionista" than her music? Are you a retard? Is she a musician or a model
>Their opinion matter, not yours or mine.
Is this post satirical?
>>
>>66446226
Original author of that bit of harmonic analysis reporting in - there is absolutely nothing groundbreakingly 'unusual' about the chord progressions in 'Be A Body' - which is the whole point. The genius in a song like 'Be A Body' is how it takes 'regular' sounding musical elements from different families (in this case, modally related keys) and juxtaposes them against each other to create interest. Unlike writing something in two completely unrelated keys to ape the impression of sonic interest (hello, Charles Ives - my favorite 20th century composer btw) to get the same effect with two friendly keys takes real skill.
>>
>>66446432
>Is she a musician or a model?
Look at any media coverage that she has ever received over the entire course of her career, and answer that question yourself.
>>
>>66446559
I hope you're being satirical. How can a person like Charles Ives and mainstream mediocre Top 40 pop stars?
>>
>>66446559
Quit being an egotistical twat and tell me why it's still in 4/4 with a metronomic tempo, a generic kick snare drum beat, a verse-chorus structure, a 3-5 minute duration, and the use of only 4 chords. If she's such a genius composer then why is she following the same boring formula as every other pop musician?
>>
>>66446695
I know why a person would do that. It's the same reason Anthony Fantano listens to Miles Davis, Frank Zappa and Rihanna and Beyonce...
>>
>>66443911
>insufferable
>soulless
>Trying this hard
>>
>>66446735
Because working from within the confines of an archaically defined formal structure for artistic expression is how all great classical art is produced.
>>
>>66446781
Anthony Fantano listens to that wide array of musicians because it's his job. Bad example, although I know what you mean
>>
>>66447060
>an archaically defined formal structure
>classical art
Okay, but we're not talking about either of those things
>>
>>66446695
I don't. I actively dislike pop music in general (the tonal palette just isn't to my liking.) Which is why I have such a high appreciation for Grime's music - because it's probably the only 'pop' music I've ever heard which causes me to completely forget that it has anything to do with 'pop'.
>>
>>66447111
What do you think 'pop' music structure is today? What do you think the mainstream symphonic form was in Beethoven's day? Exactly the same thing - formulaic as hell.
>>
>>66447123
>the tonal palette just isn't to my liking
you are so pretentious
>>
>>66447123
Have you ever heard of Phil Collins, Amy Winehouse, Mariah Carey, Michael Jackson? They're all pop stars, but they're actually talented.
>>
>>66447159
Loud and proud about it, too (fwiw I'm also cognizant of/in total agreement with Grimes' appreciation for artists like Justin Bieber.)

>>66447193
Don't care much for popstars since I don't like pop.
>>
>>66447153
>comparing the brain-dead, commercial format of pop music today with the typical structure of classical music centuries ago
>squirrels and dolphins are the same because they're both animals right?
Grimes doesn't restrict herself to a generic, one-dimensional format because it fosters good art, she follows it because that's what sells and because she isn't creative or talented enough to do otherwise
>>
>>66447241
>grimesfag
>Don't care much for popstars since I don't like pop.
S m h
>>
Grimes is not that good and her fans are delusional.
>>
>>66447273
>“I try to make it [the Grimes project] digestible to a degree.” Why? “That’s what I’m interested in seeing. I create a thing that I wish existed in the world, versus my own full unabashed creative expression.”
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/oct/31/claire-boucher-grimes-art-angels

She restricts herself because succeeding WITH limitations is much more interesting than attempting to succeed without.
>>
>>66447321
And also denies and despises actually talented pop artists...
>>
>>66447451
>you just don't get it
>it's SUPPOSED to be lame and uncreative.
Anyone could say this about anything.

>succeeding WITH limitations is much more interesting than attempting to succeed without
That is definitely just a matter of opinion
>>
>>66447573
It's like test-taking. Which is more impressive - getting a perfect score on a test whose questions and answers you wrote yourself, or getting the same for a test written by someone else? I know what my answer is.
>>
>>66446695
Grimes didn't even have a Top 40 hit, you stupid fuck. Her music is ELECTRONIC.
>>
>>66446560
I've read way more interviews with her related to her music than model stuff interviews. She's a musician.

>>66446695
>elitist fucker.

>>66447360
You're delusional. She's legit great.
>>
>>66446973
Exactly: insuferrable and soulless. Just a diarrhea of notes. Fuck saxophones, fuck jazz.
>>
>>66448036
(You)
>>
>>66447989
Nice ad hominem attacks. Who is she great? No one responded and refuted this argument:
>You don't understand that there's music outside your comfortable she'll of ignorance. Like I said before, all of her songs follow a cookie cutter verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus pop formula. They're all 3-5 minutes long, they never deviate from a basic major or natural minor key, they all follow a steady 4/4 kick-snare rhythm, and they all recycle the same 3 or four chord progressions. Literally every song on the radio does these things.
I wonder why...
>>
>>66443200
she has a vagina
>>
>>66448424
Why is*
>>
>>66447193
Boring and dull pop stars. Aren't you sick of them yet? Listen to some Grimes for a change: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSpyCL8pZ3Y

>they're actually talented
Good joke. They needed a shitload of people to work for them. Unlike Grimes... >>66443570 When those artists will have the same skills as Grimes, we'll talk.
>>
>>66448611
I don't listen to pop. But I am a musician and I can differentiate talented people and appreciate their work, even though they're playing a genre of music I don't respect and care for. You want to talk about talent, huh?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYV6KZpnEak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrJEFrth27Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-I2s5zRbHg
Does Grimes have actual skills? Like playing those weird things called instruments? Phil Collins for example is drumming and singing at the same time. Mariah Carey has a 5 octave vocal range and is able to sing in a whistle register. I don't think your Grimes can do any of those things.
>>
>>66448036
You don't have to like it, but you have to be a special kind of retarded to not recognize that it's extremely technically complex and virtuosic music, and not just random diarrhea of notes. But then again you are a grimes fan, so I shouldn't be surprised
>>
File: 15401527266_96142d3e4a_k.jpg (580 KB, 1764x1371) Image search: [Google]
15401527266_96142d3e4a_k.jpg
580 KB, 1764x1371
>>66448802
>Does Grimes have actual skills?
Yes. By making everything in her art by herself. From singing to artwork.

>Like playing those weird things called instruments?
Last time synths, samplers and guitars were instruments.

>Phil Collins for example is drumming and singing at the same time.
Grimes is singing, playing synths and samplers, messes with mixers and vocal effects, dances, and sometimes plays guitar.

>Mariah Carey has a 5 octave vocal range and is able to sing in a whistle register.
She's no Mariah Carey but she has a pretty big range. Just listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rVIx3VbJTM

>I don't think your Grimes can do any of those things.
Yes, she can. And bonus: she produces all her music. What you hear is a direct result of her work. It doesn't get more genuine than that. You should listen to this: https://soundcloud.com/hrishihirway/song-exploder-grimes

Stop underrating her so much.
>>
>>66443570
yea but thats taylor swift too.. shes writes her own shit and gets down in its production as well.. crazy knowledge of synthesizers and mics that shame lots of engineers too.. does her own booking even at times.
>>
>>66448036
>diarrhea of notes
>saxaphones
Kys summerfag
>>
>>66448036
Please tell me more about how jazz can't be ''catchy'' and melodic and is just random notes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBGZgyl72_g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmDDOFXSgAs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCykgzrwIw0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8wOMHPQRig
>>
>>66449052
It has nothing to with me being a Grimes fan. I hated this shitty genre way before discovering her music.

>extremely technically complex and virtuosic music
Should I be impressed by tons of random notes and no decent melodies? I'd rather listen to some Bach, not that boring shit. That is great music. Tons of notes but organized beautifully.
>>
>>66449075
>He thinks grimes is more talented than Phil Collins
I don't even know enough about the other musicians but holy shit
>>
>>66449128
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA4iX5D9Z64
It surely requires a genius to write whatever this is...
>>
>>66443200
Waifu shit. Her fans will defend her with whatever dishonest tactics they deem necessary in order to justify their irrational obsession. That is, until they move on to someone else, just like they did with Annie Clark, Alice Glass, Taylor Swift, etc. Then Grimes threads will still exist but in much smaller number, just like with threads on these artists.
>>
>>66449182
You mean Phil Collins, that uncool dad pop music? He's a decent musician, but he did a lot of plastic 80s pop songs. Sussudio anyone?

Grimes > Phil Collins just for the simple fact she never did a shit album. And she's a producer.
>>
>>66449209
Did you know that Phil Collins was previously in a band called Genesis that did not perform pop music?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FBcz3tBH74
>>
>>66449205
Grimes fans are loyal to her. They defend her because she's actually great. You have to accept this thing.
>>
>>66449270
I know, i know. You can have it:
(You)
>>
>>66443911
>Jazz
>soulless
i don't even
>>
>>66449248
I know that. But don't pretend Genesis is not an overrated excessive prog rock/pop band. Listen to the superior Genesis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WizNXQGBMEk
>>
>>66449270
I've heard this exact same line from discussions with other waifu-fags. She isn't great, she's decent and sometimes releases a killer single, but she isn't great. The hyperbole you people engage in is sickeningly retarded.
>>
taste is subjectiveeeeeeeeee
>>
>>66449169
Please, listen to these and tell me with a straight face that it's not ''catchy'' and that jazz is just random:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBGZgyl72_g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmDDOFXSgAs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCykgzrwIw0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8wOMHPQRig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae0nwSv6cTU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TmiDC_a6ss
>>
>>66449169
>random notes
Why do you keep saying this? There are such things as scales,modes and even ragas. Jazz musicians are not playing random notes, they are knowledgeable enough about music theory, and the music that they're playing to know exactly which notes to play and where. there is way more thought put into the split-second notes that jazz musicians are playing while improvising, than the notes that grimes spends hours programming on a computer.

>no melody
Music doesn't need to have melody that fits within a basic major or minor scale like what you're used to.
>>
>>66449314
I know what you want:
(You)
>>
>>66449367
I just love how he blatantly ignores two of my posts which link to some ''catchy'' jazz songs.
>>
>>66448424
Putting aside your intellectually reductive argument about the role of formula in art, answer me this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy3FPRaeW3Y

What key is this song in - in respect to its starting key - going on from the 1:45 mark?

>>66448802
>Does Grimes have actual skills?
Yes - she has a fabulously well-trained ear (as masterfully demonstrated here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGSwtEHE1dE) which - as any professional live-performing musician can tell you - is THE single-most important skill a musician can have.

Also, fyi Grimes is exactly the same vocal type/sings in the same vocal range as Mariah Carey (aka coloratura soprano) - pretty sure they're the only two in the pop business of that type at the moment.
>>
>>66449439
>well-trained ear
Weren't you fucks just trying to argue that she's talented because she hasn't had any formal training?
>>
Has everybody here forgotten that one God-awful performance she did a couple months ago that was so bad, the website that uploaded it removed it?
>>
>>66449536
Ear-training is the one musical skill that can't be picked up through formal training. It's something you develop over an extended length of time (usually 5 - 10 years for professional-level proficiency) by listening to music constantly - which is how she got it. It's something that every great musician teaches themself - consciously or not.
>>
>>66449320
Grimes is way more than decent. I realize that when her album Visions started resonating with me. It's not only about the very catchy songs, her voice, the synth tones, but about her soundscapes. They just sound so beautiful and melodic.

5 special moments:
- the second part of Oblivion with those "oooooooooooooh"s in background
- the background vocal samples of Symphonia IX (My Wait Is U)
- the keyboard solo of Nightmusic
- the little repeated synth motif of Be a Body on the second half
- the intro of Genesis

I made a little compilation here (under 3 minutes): https://clyp.it/bkodto1c Please listen to it.
>>
>>66449205
This should have been the end of the thread
>Her fans will defend her with whatever dishonest tactics they deem necessary in order to justify their irrational obsession.
There's no point in arguing with these guys
>>
>>66448802
Also - video related.
>>
>>66449691
Listen man, when I say decent it means that, relatively, she's pretty damn good when put against your average bandcamp release. But just because I like Grimes doesn't mean I'll agree with the crazy hyperbolic shit being spewed by her fans. She's not some kind of genius, she's a kid with a good amount of talent, but little display of true mastery as of yet. The comparisons to Bjork are totally unjustified because of this.
>>
>>66449617
Here it is. You can definitely hear her ''well-trained ear'':
https://youtu.be/FJ5XUw4qHZo?t=20m34s
And pic related is a typical response from her fans, who don't actually know anything about music and what music should sound like performed live...
>>
>>66449712
It's all subjective, but we don't give up easily. Grimes is one of a kind artist. It pisses me off when she's lumped with other popstars when she's clearly the second coming of Bjork, the upgraded version.
>>
File: meaty.jpg (186 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
meaty.jpg
186 KB, 900x506
>>
>>66449734
She's learning to play the violin. Nothing could stop her except death.

>There’s a psychology to success. I was reading all these biographies and watching documentaries about people who are successful. It seemed like the only thread amongst everybody is that unflinching, “Yes, I can do this and I am the best.” It’s a personal rhetoric that you can develop. Like, if you go and tell journalists, “I’m the future of music,” then people start printing that. So I’m just going to tell everyone I’m making the future of music. I’M GOING TO FORCE THE SITUATION TO HAPPEN.
>>
File: Capturedsada.png (40 KB, 816x208) Image search: [Google]
Capturedsada.png
40 KB, 816x208
>>66449759
>>
>>66449811
She's good at branding. Also, she'll never play the violin at any level worthy of note having started this late. Not that you retards even listen to music that requires the violin player to possess a high level of skill.
>>
>>66449759
You forgot the pic.

You've also linked to the same video I posted earlier as a GOOD example of her ear-training (since she is live mixing/tuning improvised vocals throughout it.) Also, fwiw I'm about to head out in an hour to sing as lead soloist at a live performing gig (the kind that pays actual money) so yes - the proof is in my pudding, so to speak.
>>
>>66449886
Your gig is an hour from now and you have nothing better to do then argue about a mainstream pop star on 4chan. Ok. I know you're probably baiting. You're getting paid to perform music? Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj and other pop stars are also getting paid to perform their music. Does that make their music good?
>>
File: 1450461175224.png (108 KB, 1400x1226) Image search: [Google]
1450461175224.png
108 KB, 1400x1226
>>66449755
>The comparisons to Bjork are totally unjustified because of this.
You may laugh now, but don't be surprised when in max 10 years she will be as beloved as Bjork. Mark my words.

Also it's funny when some Bjork fans dismiss Art Angels as pop when Bjork did a lot of pop music in her career (just to name some big songs: Hyperballad, I Miss You, Violently Happy, Joga, Army of Me, It's Oh So Quiet, Human Behaviour, Venus as a Boy, There's More Life than This,...).
>>
>>66449956
The desperation that you fuckers have is really disturbing. I also find it odd that you think using personnel for different instruments is some kind of badge of shame. That's like saying Beethoven was a fucking hack cause he didn't play any horns. You people are retarded.
>>
>>66449953
Depends on your definition of good.
>>
>>66449886
Kys
>>
>>66449846
>Also, she'll never play the violin at any level worthy of note having started this late.
It doesn't matter. Her playing serves her music, it's not a showy playing like you elitist faggots like so much. If you want violin music, listen to violin music, don't shit on her music because it's not complex enough to you. Complex music isn't always good music.
>>
>>66449886
My pic has been posted even before you replied to me. Do you actually agree with what that fan had to say? Musicians shouldn't sing in key, really? What else shouldn't musicians do? Be talented? Nah, who cares about that. If it's catchy it's good enough. If singing in key isn't important, why don't we get random people of the street with no musical education to sing live?
>>
>>66443570
You just listed a bunch of synonyms.
>>
>>66449987
Beethoven was a composer. Grimes is a composer, singer, producer, visual artist, dancer, music video director, live performer, lyricist. She's a one woman band. Deal with it, fucker.
>>
>>66450059
I know what you want to deal with, so here it is:
(You)
>>
>>66450036
That is kind like an in-joke of Grimes threads. The synonyms are obvious, but you could extract the essential:
>composer, singer, producer, visual artist, dancer, music video director, live performer, lyricist
>>
>>66450013
Yeah but the contribution is one that will probably be very simplistic melodies that uses the novelty of an acoustic instrument in her music (which is mainly known for being electronic and synth driven) instead of actually incorporating the violin in any big or interesting way. It's a gimmick to display "eclecticism" so retards like you keep obsessing over her and doing free advertising. She's feeding into the genius auteur image she's created by cultivating dilettante tier skills on a variety of different instruments and art forms (like her music video directing.)

It's really creepy how triggered you guys get whenever anyone criticizes her. It's like you place your own sense of self worth into her level of success or some shit, like she's your fucking gf.

>>66450059
Yeah and her creations aren't particularly impressive, sometimes really catchy and enjoyable, but not at all groundbreaking for anyone with wider knowledge of the art forms she's creating stuff in. You'd know this if you weren't a retard.
>>
>>66450000
Please tell me with a straight face that this is good: https://youtu.be/FJ5XUw4qHZo?t=20m34s
>>
>>66450019
>why don't we get random people of the street with no musical education to sing live?
But you just described grimes
>>
>>66450019

>Once a nice young man (his musical sense having been limited by three years' intensive study at the Boston Conservatory) said to Father, "How can you stand it to hear old John Bell (the best stone-mason in town) sing?" (as he used to at Camp Meetings.)
>Father said, "He is a supreme musician."
>The young man (nice and educated) was horrified - "Why, he sings off the key, the wrong notes and everything - and that horrible, raucous voice - and he bellows out and hits notes no one else does - it's awful!"
>Father said, "Watch him closely and reverently, look into his face and hear the music of the ages. Don't pay too much attention to the sounds - for if you do, you may miss the music. You won't get a wild, heroic ride to heaven on pretty little sounds."
— Charles Ives, Memos
>>
>>66450059
Holy shit nigga are you implying that grimes is better than beethoven??
Will I ever know peace from this idiocy?
>>
>>66450126
It's fantastic - and I'm saying that as a classical composer and professional opera singer with extensive international touring experience.
>>
File: 1468623635842.jpg (56 KB, 541x380) Image search: [Google]
1468623635842.jpg
56 KB, 541x380
>>66450126
>didn't even hit a single note
>>
>>66450122
>Yeah and her creations aren't particularly impressive, sometimes really catchy and enjoyable, but not at all groundbreaking for anyone with wider knowledge of the art forms she's creating stuff in. You'd know this if you weren't a retard.
You could say the same thing about Beethoven, retard. They're just a bunch of notes. It's about how music affect someone. Believe it or not, many could relate to Grimes' music.

The complexity in Grimes' music doesn't rely on the notes played, but on the layers of different sounds. She built amazing soundscapes with simple elements. This is what you don't get it about her work.
>>
>>66450192
Either prove that you are what you say you are or fuck off in your desperate attempt to defend your fucking waifu.
>>
>>66450126
Super amazing. This video made me a fan of hers. And looking at the likes/dislikes ratio I'm not the only one who enjoyed it.
>>
>>66450238
No you really couldn't say this about Beethoven at all. Why don't you go read about him before making claims that are demonstrably false. I'd start with the late string quartets.
>>
>>66450192
You should really reconsider your life if you feel the need to brag this much on 4chan
>>
>>66450136
>>66450019
But random people on the streets aren't Grimes. They don't have that talent to make music with little training. THIS IS THE REAL TALENT.
>>
>>66450238
Typical response from someone who's not a musician and doesn't know a single thing about music theory. And still, not a single one of you (>>66450238, >>66450197, >>66450114, >>66450013) refuted this argument:
>>You don't understand that there's music outside your comfortable she'll of ignorance. Like I said before, all of her songs follow a cookie cutter verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus pop formula. They're all 3-5 minutes long, they never deviate from a basic major or natural minor key, they all follow a steady 4/4 kick-snare rhythm, and they all recycle the same 3 or four chord progressions. Literally every song on the radio does these things.
>>
>>66450192
*tips hat*
>>
>>66450285
I know how much you want it.
(You)
>>
The anti Grimes brigade is so mad, holy shit. Chill down idiots!
>>
>>66450327
(You)
>>
>>66450344
Grimes is the best artist of this decade. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>66450302
>caring this much about music
you are a bigger loser than any grimesfag on this fucking board.

also why the fuck did you reply to me here >>66450197

did you forget to take your pills this morning, casey?
>>
>>66450327
We're mad because you guys are being so unbelievably dumb
>>
>>66450368
Whoa there, try not to cut yourself.
>>
>>66450275
My life is peachy - I just get a kick out of annoying trolls when I'm bored.
>>
>>66450368
Why shouldn't people be passionate about music?
>>
>>66450368
>>caring this much about music
Average grimesfag everybody
>>
>>66450394
Let's say that we the Grimesfans are dumb. The fact you replied to us so many times gave weight to our opinions. You should ignore us if you say we're so dumb. So, who's the real dumbass?
>>
>>66443570
>virtuoso

HOLY SHIT

WAIFU FAGS ARE PATHETIC
>>
>>66450447
>mad Grimes denier

>WAIFU FAGS
How many waifu pics do you see ITT, pathetic fuckwit? Suck a pen15.
>>
>>66450440
If people say retarded shit they should be called out. The idea that you should ignore shit that's dumb is how we got to the point of having to choose between Trump and Clinton for the President of the United States.
>>
>>66450473
You have no idea what a virtuoso is, do you?
>>
>>66450422
because it's a shallow, primitive and limited art form.

The only thing more shameful than being into the technical side of music if you aren't a successful producer/engineer is being into the technical side of painting. Go look at /ic/ discuss brush stroke techniques and technical details of brushes. It's fucking awful that these are your interests.

>>66450424
don't lump me in with those waifu shitters.
>>
>>66450413
>when I'm bored
Well you seem to be bored pretty frequently considering how often you post in these threads. you've been in every single one I've looked at saying the same shit every time
>hurr I'm a successful classically trained professional musician.
>I'm smarter than you so you have to share the same bullshit opinions as me
>>
>>66450513
it's not hard when these threads are up every single day.

i usually visit the grimes general at work to see if any news is posted. I recognize classical anon and he doesn't even post that much.

don't be a fucking cunt. suck a pen15, fooool.
>>
File: 7jzymx.jpg (37 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
7jzymx.jpg
37 KB, 512x384
>>66450482
>bringing politics into a music board
You sure must be dumb. And mad. You just can't fight the Grimes fans because your arguments are so pathetic. Repeat after me: P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C.
>>
>>66450506
Prove any one of those baseless assertions or fuck off with your edgy garbage friend. Anyone who shits on an entire form of art usually does so in order to inflate their own pet art-form and by proxy their own sense of self worth. And I swear to god if your'e one of those movie fags that says shit like "MOVIES GOT MORE STUFF IN EM' SO THEY'RE BETTER" then piss right off.
>>
>>66450558
>doesn't refute a single point
>picks out an analogy as if it was a legitimate attempt to introduce politics to the discussion

>Her fans will defend her with whatever dishonest tactics they deem necessary in order to justify their irrational obsession.

Just keep on proving my point friend. I enjoy watching retards squirm.
>>
>>66450544
This anon is right. The classical anon posted just few times. He seems like a decent guy.
>>
>>66450591
>backpedalling like a coward
You sure showed us. We're scarred!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>66450302
You conveniently forgot to list my response >>66449439 which refutes your argument definitively.

Also,
>For a time, her interest in production threatened to overwhelm the process of writing. “I got too technical,” she said. “Now I’m in the middle area, which is right between technical and, like, vibe.” She likes figuring out what makes songs work, even though she knows that theoretical explanations are always unsatisfying. On the wall of her home studio, she keeps a version of “The Golden Rules of Pop,” formulated by the prankish British electronic duo >>KLF:
>>1: IT MUST HAVE A DANCE GROOVE THAT RUNS ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE RECORD
>>2: NO LONGER THAN 3:30
>>3: INTRO -> VERSE -> CHORUS -> VERSE -> CHORUS -> BREAKDOWN -> DOUBLE CHORUS -> OUTRO
>She doesn’t necessarily follow these precepts, but she doesn’t want to forget them, eithe —a paradox that sometimes makes her sound ambivalent about her big moment. “I like building expectations, and then stressing people out by explicitly not doing the thing,” she says.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/09/28/pop-for-misfits

Formula is an artistic tool best left to the people smart enough to understand what it's useful for - like Grimes.
>>
>>66450506
Shit, shit, shit opinion. I can't take you seriously. Go and sing at another table.
>>
>>66450565
>Shallow
Inherited from it's other flaws
>Primitive
It's the oldest "art form" and is exhibited not only by every single ape species, but also most monkeys, too.
>Limited
It only utilizes one of the senses. By very definition it is limited. This is less relevant than it seems, but I needed more straw to stuff my strawman.

Movies are potentially better than music as an art form, but they aren't particularly what I had in mind and I don't particularly care from them. They suffer the same issue that music does in that most of it is crap.

And I'm not even talking about the big budget shit that's related to people in suits. I mean quite honestly most of it is fucking crap. It's the equivalent of a child smashing their hands on a piano.
>>
>>66450617
I haven't backpedaled on anything. Your desperation is so pathetic it is beneath contempt.
>>
File: img061.jpg (131 KB, 406x594) Image search: [Google]
img061.jpg
131 KB, 406x594
too many people being mean to her itt
>>
>>66450302
>Grimes' main goal is to make music that feels good to listen to and is just evocative in the basest of senses
>Shit on her for this
nobody gives a single shit about your god awful experimental music band that nobody heard of you fucking hipster.
>>
File: grimes dancing.webm (879 KB, 1020x520) Image search: [Google]
grimes dancing.webm
879 KB, 1020x520
>>66450661
A lot.

Everyone, stop the hate and dance. Life is beautiful.
>>
>>66450673
(You)
>>
>>66450661
holy shit what happened to her face there
it's like she's 40 years old
will she age that bad
>>
File: 14672432436040.jpg (74 KB, 537x535) Image search: [Google]
14672432436040.jpg
74 KB, 537x535
>>66450646
literally can't even refute the refutations, so he has to ignore them and shitpost about how nobody is arguing with him

you are pathetic. grimes is the best artist on all planes of reality where not even the value of pi is shared between planes.

kys you pathetic faggot, you have yet to post any facts, any truth. you just are here to shitpost baseless claims about grimes that you can't prove because you are jealous of her in every sense.
>>
>>66450642
Engaging more senses doesn't equate to them utilizing those senses better than something that engages only one. Music only engages hearing, and as a result can accomplish a deeper aural experience than a film can, because when watching a film your attention is being divided between different sensory inputs, you cannot concentrate on any single element. Not to mention that even though film incorporates elements of literature and music into their creation, they're still predominantly VISUAL. They're dependent on one sense over the others, so most resources of production will be used to engage the eyes over anything else anyway.

I'm real sick of retards making broad strokes comparisons between art forms and trying to make an arbitrary hierarchy that only serves to stroke one's ego. It's a stupid waste of time.
>>
>>66450625
The pop music formula isn't a creative tool, it's a commercial marketing technique. The only reason why music follows that dumbed-down formula is because it's easier for the dumb masses to enjoy and buy
>>
>>66450728
Waifu-fags cannot read it seems. That's fine, keep jerking off to pictures of Grimes, then pick out some other poor girl and continue the cycle until your inevitable suicide. You are a waste of human life.
>>
>>66450625
>On the wall of her home studio, she keeps a version of “The Golden Rules of Pop,” formulated by the prankish British electronic duo >>KLF
You sure showed me now. What about actually knowing something about music theory? Who needs that, I can just follow what the industry is doing and blend in - and it works.
>Formula is an artistic tool best left to the people smart enough to understand what it's useful for - like Grimes.
You what that formula of yours is useful for? Making money. Not creating music. And certainly not for creating art.
>>
>>66443200
I would like to rub my "big deal" all "over her", if you know what I mean. And if you don't, I'm saying that I would enjoy engaging in sexual activity with her.
>>
>>66450694
>HE CALLED ME OUT
>I BETTER BREAK THE RULES AND SHITPOST
Seriously. Either participate in the discussion or stop posting. I'm warning you, I'll invoke grimes to cast a daemonic faeri spell upon you and turn you into a loon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUe9rnucPoU
>>
File: 667.jpg (205 KB, 682x1024) Image search: [Google]
667.jpg
205 KB, 682x1024
>>66450697
She doesn't look 40 at all.

< this is a more recent pic.
>>
>>66450772
I am posting. There are about 20 replies that I've made.
>>
>>66450760
More like you can't read because you can't even articulate a proper argument. All you do is hide behind your shitposts.

>WELL IF YOU DON'T FOLLOW MY SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE RULES THEN YOU SUCK
>I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY I HOLD THEM UP, BUT BOY GOLLY GOSH I'LL APPEAL TO THEIR AUTHORITY AT EVERY CHANCE I GET TO SHOW THOSE DIRTY MUSIC LISTENERS HOW PLEBBY THEY REALLY ARE
>TOTALLY NOT PRETENTIOUS AT ALL
>>
>>66450760
When you have 0 arguments you're playing the waifucard. This is fucking ridiculous and you know that. I feel shame for you.
>>
>>66450812
Never said any of those things but that's fine, you'll just project whatever you want to what I say just like you do with your waifu's music.

>>66450817
Actually read the thread or fuck off.
>>
>>66450843
It's all you fucking do. You consistently shitpost about music theory as though it's a dictorial holy tome of which all good music is born from studying. Because you are literally the definition of pretentious and don't understand just how fucking stupid and wrong that mindset is, but you continue to parrot it around as though it's an authority.

Go back to posting about your math rock or whatever the fuck you hipsters do these days.
>>
>>66450843
What are your arguments, faggot? So far I see only shitposting and "hurr durr you're a waifufag". If you don't have arguments get the fuck out of here. You already poluted this thread way too much with your shit.
>>
>>66450895
He should pick a tripcode so I can filter his retarded posts.
>>
>>66450895
I'm not that guy, but since you clearly can't actually think and just make assumptions to fit your retard narrative it doesn't really matter.

>>66450903
I've made numerous fucking arguments in this thread, either read the fucking thread or fuck off, I'm not spoonfeeding your dumb ass
>>
>>66450937
>I'm not that guy
Bull-fucking-horseshit you aren't, samefag.

You're the one who consistently shitposts his appeal to authority fallacies all over Grimes threads like a fooool and whenever you get called out on it you just sink into the sea because in the end it's just shitposting and you know it.

You can't handle the ugly truth so whenever someone threatens to shine it in your face, whenever you are potentially forced to view Grimes as the amazing artist that she is you hiss and scramble back under the fridge.
>>
File: 1468438683390.gif (3 MB, 540x355) Image search: [Google]
1468438683390.gif
3 MB, 540x355
Virtuoso
>>
>>66450937
You better shut up. No one wants to see your shitposting anymore. Enough!
>>
>>66451037
Hypnotising...
>>
File: grimey the faery queen.jpg (100 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
grimey the faery queen.jpg
100 KB, 500x500
>>66443200
We love her, she charmed us by her music
>>
File: 1467831693673.jpg (50 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1467831693673.jpg
50 KB, 640x480
>>66450937
>This faggot is still trying to convince people that because Grimes isn't trying to be a pretentious little shit and is focused on making pleasant sounding music that she is bad
What's the matter, anon? Afraid that she still manages to make wide open soundscapes with lots of layers using only pleasant textures and simple pieces?

Does that threaten your pretentiousness?
>>
Why the Grimes haters care so much about her? They can't stop talking about her, albeit negatively.
>>
>>66451173
>Does that threaten your pretentiousness?
I guess it does. Otherwise he wouldn't be so virulent. It's like he's personally threatened by her existence.
>>
How could someone hate an artist that sings like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGLvUejoRb4

I mean it.
>>
>>66443570
you know what, the worst part of this post is that people take it seriously
>>
>>66451450
Why they shouldn't take it seriously? She's a serious artist. Yeah, there are some duplicates, but the list is extensive and real.
>>
>>66451481
you can shorten it to singer/instrumentalist/composer/painter
grimes isn't the only person on earth capable of that
>>
File: grimesposter_nutshell.jpg (996 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
grimesposter_nutshell.jpg
996 KB, 2560x1440
>>66451237
They want to feel her love, but their black souls prevent her star energies from enriching their hearts and minds.

While good men can appreciate and are empowered by her spells, the husks who dwell beneath are ever resentful and jealous, further alienating them from that which they want most.

A shame...
>>
>>66451548
And producer (this is really important, at least for her), sound engineer, music video director, and dancer.
>>
>>66451481
>Artist
>Makes music for the sole purpose of making money
>>
>>66451237
The opposite of love is indifference - hence so-called Grimes haters are just future Grimes lovers who haven't come to terms with it yet.
>>
>>66451725
Really? When she started making music she's didn't make any money. Music making was in her blood, that's why she never gave up. Read more about her life story.
>>
>>66451450
Maybe you do... Some of us have brains - and still like Grimes.
>>
>>66451744
This is disturbing. Any ex-Grimes hater that turned into a Grimes fan here?
>>
>>66451714
the point still stands, she's not that "absolute godess" everyone makes her out to be, there's been, there are, and there will be other artists like her.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.