[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a huge fan of death metal and especially black meta
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8
File: Slipknot_-_Slipknot2.jpg (45 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Slipknot_-_Slipknot2.jpg
45 KB, 300x300
I'm a huge fan of death metal and especially black metal and for a long time refused to listen to nu metal for edgy faggot reasons. But I listened to Scissors by Slipknot and simply can't think of a single death or black metal song that comes close to being this viciously unsettling and brutal. I think many extreme metal bands are holding themselves back and limiting their expressive power so their riffs/song structures can neatly fit into the "metal" genre. Anyone agree?

>inb4 bait

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st_qbGZ112M
>>
FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES FUCK ME FUCK ME I'M ALL OUT OF ENEMIES
>>
>>60591444
>pop metal
>viciously unsettling
>brutal

keke

>many extreme metal bands are holding themselves back and limiting their expressive power so their riffs/song structures can neatly fit into the "metal" genre.

you have something of a point there though. too many metal genres are bogged down in formulaicity. The truly expressive ones tends to shift straight into noise territory though, not nu-metal.
>>
>>60591482
>pop metal
I wasn't talking about the singles. Scissors isn't trve kvlt LLN stuff, but there's nothing pop about it by any stretch of the imagination.
>>
>>60591584
and I was talking about the song you linked sweetheart. I know power metal songs more worthy of being described as "brutal"
>>
>>60591482
Slipknot did some noisy industrial album and never released it, it's called crowz.
>>
FUCK
>>
>>60591614
Thank you for reminding me that metalfags still exist.
>>
>>60591713
a simple mirror would have done the trick
>>
i listen to their debut occasionally and am always surprised at how manic it can get

years ago i dismissed them as shit
>>
>>60591614
>I know power metal songs more worthy of being described as "brutal"
Top kek, go back to Encyclopedia Metallum you neckbeard
>>
>>60591746
¿Qué?
>>
>>60591782
nice meme!
>>
>>60591804
fuk of
>>
>>60591782
Not him but keep crying. It's hilarious how rustled you nu metal kiddies get. You don't know anything about metal and when someone points this out your defense is always "n-neckbeard!".
>>
>>60591847
>Not him
>>
>>60591698
ME
>>
>>60591444
God tier album. Not even joking.
>>
True patricians like scaruffi appreciate early slipknot
>>
>tfw I unironically like all of their albums as an adult
Am I pleb?
>>
File: Mfkralbum.jpg (17 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
Mfkralbum.jpg
17 KB, 240x240
>>60591444
The self titled Slipknot album really is great. However it really is a bright spot in an otherwise lame genre. Although personally Mate. Feed. Kill. Repeat is my favorite Slipknot album. Iowa is great as well.

However, in terms of unsettling, Iowa (the song), is very brutal and creep. So listen to that if you haven't already.
>>
>>60591923
No, you're mature. Probably. What is your opinion on Bernie Sanders?
>>
>>60591847
>nu metal kiddies
Lmao, liking a handful of untrve songs makes you a nu metal kiddie according to metal neckbeards.

>You don't know anything about metal
I've been listening to death and black metal for years and I'm still not trve enough to be accepted in your club?
>>
>>60591923
>tfw I unironically like all of Avenged Sevenfold's albums as an adult
Am I pleb?
>>
>>60591964
He began his post with "not him but". You have no business responding to him in a non-smug manner.
>>
I saw Slipknot on their current tour in October. I used to play the OP's album constantly in high school, then I hadn't listened to them in years. A friend of mine is still into that kinda shit, but more of the modern Slipknot. He wanted to go to the show so I was like, whatever, and went with him.

Shit was pretty dope. They played a good handful of songs from that album and it was crazy how instantly I remembered them and how good it was. Corey Taylor is a pretty good vocalist.
>>
>>60592013
Oh honey, you're the most pleb.
>>
>>60591941

this album is amazing, why did they have to ruin the song "gently" on iowa?
>>
File: 1434434665278.png (199 KB, 1200x1332) Image search: [Google]
1434434665278.png
199 KB, 1200x1332
i've been listening to mostly black metal for the past few years, but i still really like that album, it's pretty damn solid

i wish i had had the chance to see slipknot back when i was a huge maggot though
>>
File: jon lajoie 005.jpg (74 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
jon lajoie 005.jpg
74 KB, 500x375
>>60592322
>i wish i had had the chance to see slipknot back when i was a huge maggot though

I know this feel. The Dynamo 2000 set is one of my favorite concert recordings ever. I really wish I could go there.
>>
File: 1434479911953.jpg (4 KB, 120x108) Image search: [Google]
1434479911953.jpg
4 KB, 120x108
>>60592369
>you will never see slipknot live at their prime
>you will never see korn live at their prime
>you will never see limp bizkit live at their prime

now i may be alone on the limp bizkit thing there, but they were the first band i -really- got into

to this day i still know every song up until chocolate startfish by heart

>tfw once after an underground metalfest i was at ended, the dj put on "rollin" probably ironanically, and i, drunken off my mind decided to sing along every lyric perfectly, complete with all the dance moves and wiggertastic hand gestures while donning my kutte, long hair and combat boots, attracting the judging and confused stares of every trve metalhead around

good times
>>
>>60592486

korn is the only one i could never get into
>>
>>60592486
>>tfw once after an underground metalfest i was at ended, the dj put on "rollin" probably ironanically, and i, drunken off my mind decided to sing along every lyric perfectly, complete with all the dance moves and wiggertastic hand gestures while donning my kutte, long hair and combat boots, attracting the judging and confused stares of every trve metalhead around

I would of joined you.
>>
File: Korn-Korn1994.jpg (26 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
Korn-Korn1994.jpg
26 KB, 320x320
>>60592486
Korn also would have been sweet to see in their early days. The self-titled is actually a great album. As for Limp Bizkit, they had a few songs that I would listen to very often, especially Counterfeit, Break Stuff, and My Way (so pretty much their singles). I also always wanted a red Yankees hat like Fred Durst but they were expensive.
>>
>>60591959
Not sure. I'm not American.
>>
File: 1446512391645.png (57 KB, 500x382) Image search: [Google]
1446512391645.png
57 KB, 500x382
>>60592705
>>
>>60591444

You're looking for cryptopsy, the berzeker, godflesh, or some sludge metal

That song is cool though
>>
>>60591444
Nice trips. You seem to actually be trying to not be bait.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuBPGlfmP7Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TerfpAlJv5A
>>
Dead serious, I really like Scissors too. It's a nice song and it's my favorite Slipknot track. I also like the song Iowa.
>>
>>60591444
If Corey Taylor was in a band like cursed or nails I'd eat it up, I love his voice when he's screaming and yelling, the rest of the band doesn't do anything for me.
>>
>>60594079
but then he'd want to sing clean and I fucking hate it when he sings in a clean voice.
also OP should check out Nails def
>>
>>60594120
At least he doesn't sound like a faggot like most metalcore vocalists.
>>
>>60594120
He has an amazing vocal range tho.
>>
MFKR is awesome, S/T is pretty good.

Also, Korn has always been shit.
>>
>>60591444
>I think many extreme metal bands are holding themselves back and limiting their expressive power so their riffs/song structures can neatly fit into the "metal" genre. Anyone agree?
Yes.
Most extreme metal bands have no concept of dynamics, color, or how to create an unsettling atmosphere.
Their only goal is to use guitars and drums and compression to "out-brutal" each other.
It's like how the scariest horror movies are the ones that don't show the killer but rely on tense atmosphere, but all movies today just show jump scares and gore and it's extremely lame.
>>
>>60594193
...yeah but no one is talking about metalcore
Then again, starkweather

>>60594200
I'm not saying he can't sing
I just hate clean singing in metal generally
>>
>>60594285
Aren't Slipknot like 65% metalcore?
>>
>>60594422
technically speaking no, they are more like what inspired a lot of metalcore. But I see what you mean.

>STARKWEATHER THO
>>
>>60592740
Nookie is a good song as well in my opinion. It actually has a really nice hip hop groove that doesn't sound forced.
>>
>>60591444
you should listen to Iowa next.
>>
>>60594616
>>>/s4s/
>>
>>60591444
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI0DfQtBhzQ

>ARKHON INFAUSTUS
>ORTHODOXYN
>BLACK/DEATH
>heylistennavi.jpg
>>
>>60594079

slipknot's vocalist before corey was good and sounded pretty similar
>>
>>60594193
Kys
>>
I like Slipknot. I think they were plenty of kids' introduction into heavier music, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Even as an adult I still think they're plenty of fun, especially the first two albums. It's dumb and cathartic and sometimes that's just what you want.

Metalfags have been arguing about how and why they suck and are posers since the dawn of the internet, but who gives a shit about metalfags when half the bands they think are "heavy" look like anorexic pandas.
>>
>>60595236
>I like Slipknot. I think they were plenty of kids' introduction into heavier music, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Even as an adult I still think they're plenty of fun, especially the first two albums. It's dumb and cathartic and sometimes that's just what you want.
I agree with all of this
>>
>>60591614
nice meme
daily reminder
black metal is for c|_|cks
>>
>>60591444
Have you also heard the title track to Iowa?

>>60591667
Slipknot has done significantly better music that has never gotten released many, many times unfortunately. Their experimental side seeps through in their intros.
>>
>>60592486
They're still decent live, just nothing near what they used to be.
>>
>>60594422
I wouldn't say that. Metalcore implies a hardcore influence. Outside of live performance antics there isn't a shred of punk in Slipknot.
They're closer to Death Metal than anything else, but people always laugh out of elitism whenever that's said.
>>
>>60591667

is there anywhere i can download this? did it leak somewhere?
>>
>>60591941
Oh man I love Mr Bungle
>>
>>60596237
In reality it's just a bunch of demos that came out between Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat. and Slipknot's self titled, but organized onto a bootleg CD.

>>60591941
Iowa is practically a SWANS song.
>>
>>60596260

what's mr bungle? sounds gay desu
>>
>>60596260

I think it was the dude from Korn that basically said they wanted to copy Mr. Bungle.
>>
>>60596302

korn copied mr bungle?
>>
File: meh.ro7097.jpg (25 KB, 335x478) Image search: [Google]
meh.ro7097.jpg
25 KB, 335x478
>>60596260

hold on, mr bungle is a metal band? i thought it was like oingo boingo or some shit
>>
>>60596792
They're a mix of genres.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.