[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Were they aware of what they were doing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: shaggs-philosophy.jpg (47 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
shaggs-philosophy.jpg
47 KB, 350x350
I just listened to this for the first time and, I hate it when people use this expression, but, it is literally either the worst or best thing I've ever heard. If they did everything on purpose, then it's a haunting masterpiece, but if this was a genuine attempt at making good 60's pop music, then it's god awful. So did they purposefully make outsider music or no?
>>
short answer: no
long answer: they probably didn't realize what would become of their music and whether it would be celebrated ironically or unironically. As for me, I enjoy it semi-unironically and semi-ironically
>>
File: 1448297412894.png (642 KB, 700x762) Image search: [Google]
1448297412894.png
642 KB, 700x762
>tfw seeing The Shaggs open for NMH
>tfw watching Dot Wiggin sightreading lyrics out of a hot deal Target music folder
>tfw watching the guitarist sightreading off of an iPad
>tfw watching the guitarist almost drop his guitar off the stage after playing it "stylistically"
>tfw awkward clapping and stomping during Philosophy of the World
>tfw there was a synth keyboard solo
>tfw there were kids saying shit about fantano in the crowd
it was good tho
>>
>>60564476
this is my favorite black metal album and also my favorite twee album
>>
The Shaggs were aware they were not talented musicians, and they did not particularly want to be musicians in the first place.

They were more or less forced by their father to play in order to fulfill a gypsy prediction (I'm not making this up).

So, in a way, yes, they were trying to make 60s pop music, but they were also fully aware they weren't good at it and they would never be famous despite their father's insistence. So what they made was wholly honest music, with no pretense or vision. Each of them tried to play her instrument as best she could, in isolation from the other two. And they kept at it as long as their father made them.

This is the reason for why they are so compellingly otherworldly, this is why they sound awful, and this is why, in a kind of way, they are better than the Beatles.
>>
>>60564599
Was this in Charlottesville?
>>
>>60564771
portland me m8
>>
>>60564476
Listening for the first time. This is fucking terrible. Pretty interesting though. I do not enjoy it.
>>
>>60564797
Ah cool. When I saw NMH in Charlottesville Dot Wiggan also opened for them. Julian said that he and the guys really respected them.

They would alternate between their new stuff and the old Shaggs stuff so it was fun to watch the crowd whiplash from twee 60s pop to My Pal Foot Foot.
>>
I have to admit, after reading this thread and some other stuff, I'm intrigued.
It's kind of sad that these girls were made to keep playing until they're dad finally died, but as long as the music they made was for themselves, it doesn't seem too bad.
>>
File: Screenshot_1.jpg (22 KB, 673x126) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.jpg
22 KB, 673x126
>>
File: bjork15.jpg (673 KB, 1312x2000) Image search: [Google]
bjork15.jpg
673 KB, 1312x2000
>>60564993
>trying to jerk off
>trying to
>>
This is actually fascinating. time dl on w.cd
>>
i love this album
its in my top 5 of all time
i tried it with mdma 2 weeks ago and it was at first quite odd but overall great experience
>>
>>60564797
Cool, I was at that show too. It was like I died and went to purgatory
>>
File: thread_pleases_me.jpg (11 KB, 210x251) Image search: [Google]
thread_pleases_me.jpg
11 KB, 210x251
>>60565510
thanks for sharing that
>>
File: 20.jpg (33 KB, 398x450) Image search: [Google]
20.jpg
33 KB, 398x450
>>60566405
U R WELCOME
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.