[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Albums that grow on you and albums that diminish on you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (972 KB, 3006x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
972 KB, 3006x1500
Post albums that at first you didn't enjoy but slowly grown on you and albums that you liked it at your first listen however it eventually became stale.

I'll start with some classic rock, I always found Daydream Nation to be very bland but giving it another go, I can see now why it is considered to be GOAT. As for London Calling, I think the style of it eventually loses its touch in the 21st century. Listening to it again, I can't help but feel how cheesy the music is.
>>
>grower
Feels
>shrinker
Strawberry Jam
>>
>>60561477
>grower
EVOL
>shrinker
Sister
>>
File: image.jpg (204 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
204 KB, 1000x500
>>60561661
>>60561688
>Shrinker

Yeah that's a better word for it, English isn't my main language, strange that I learn something on /mu/

Young prayer started for me as something very obnoxious but eventually listening to it teleports me into another dimension where it is only me and the peace surrounding it. I can compare it to meditating without the need to be patient and crossing your legs and making it numb. YS sadly just seem to sound like squeaks and chips the more you hear it. Its like a bird has taken over Joanna's position.

>inb4 muh lyrics
>>
>>60562015
Ys isn't really >muh lyrics music even if it has great lyrics, it's also really techinical and well composed.

Grower for me is Weezer's blue album. At first it was like "this is goofy yet cool" but now I feel like it says something meaningful to me about masculinity and stuff in the modern world and it's an important album to me.

Shrinker is Pictures at an Exhibition, when I first heard it I felt like it was piano music after Mozart that was both playful and elegant without sacrificing emotional nuances but now I find a lot of the movements to be not that interesting. It's still really good but you know not the saviour of program music and the romantic era that it had appeared to me as at first.
>>
>>60561477
London Calling will always be a classic and there's literally nothing wrong with it

>Grower
Faust
>Shrinker
Psychocandy
>>
File: velvetst.jpg (241 KB, 658x658) Image search: [Google]
velvetst.jpg
241 KB, 658x658
>>60561661
>Strawberry Jam
nah, that's been one fuck of a grower for me, I'd say the closest thing to a shrinker that they've made has been Sung Tongs for me.

>Grower
The Velvet Underground

>Shrinker
Illinois
>>
>grower
Loveless, Amnesiac
>shrinker
Ok Computer, most beatles albums
>>
>grower
Black Foliage, Wonderful Rainbow, Murray Street

>shrinker
Souvlaki, stgstv
>>
>>60562297
No one said it's not a classic. Just dated, like it's lost it's flair
>>
>>60562424
>stgstv
I'm very aware that the wonder of childhood it evokes may wear off, so I listen to that album once a month at most
>>
Grower: anything by deathgrips

Diminisher: anything by radiohead.
>>
>Grower
Yerself is Steam
>Shrinker
ITAOTS
>>
File: image.jpg (179 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
179 KB, 1000x500
I remember hating Thriller back when I was a kid thinking other than a few singles this album was total crap. When MJ's death shocked the world and mainstream media kept on playing his materials, I couldn't stand it and find the media to be hypocritical. Harassing him when he was alive and now treating him as if he's some sort of saint. Until I when I got older and bought myself new sound system and realize and well produced Thriller is. It sounds seriously good, production-wise. The music actually comes out of the speakers.

Soft Bulletin is a little too bright for me. First listen was great, happy go lucky album but the novelty went off. You can only be happy for so long.
>>
>>60563064
opposite for me, Soft Bulletin was a grower.
>shrinker
RATM - s/t
>>
File: tsb tracklisting.png (61 KB, 1074x284) Image search: [Google]
tsb tracklisting.png
61 KB, 1074x284
>>60563064
my nigger in regards to the soft bulletin try this tracklisting and relisten

I believe in u
>>
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 638x319) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 638x319
>>60563682
Alright, will try that tracklisting.

>>60563646
For me, RATM - s/t grew on me. Besides /mu/ meme-ing saying how cringey this album is, context aside, this is one of the best produced album ever. I experienced it first hand when I got my new sound system and holy shit it really gave it a good workout. RATM - s/t is my go to for auditioning speakers, it can break speakers if played at a seriously high volume.

When Clipping first came out, I thought it was one of the best hip-hop album of the year but slowly it just shrinks, I guess most hip-hop albums does that to me, other than 36 chambers.
>>
>>60562980
Don't say that : '(
>>
>>60564110
Yeah, i do think s/t is well-produced, maybe it's just a result of overlistening but the lyrics started to make it less enjoyable for me over time
>>
>>60562445
I never even understood how "dated" was supposed to be an album. Like, no shit, music sounds like it came from the year it came. That's a constant through pretty much any album you care to name, even the forward looking ones like some of the Sonics's work.
>>
Growers: Tyranny
Shrinker: Garden of Delete
>>
>>60562298
agreed on all points desu senpai
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2845x1300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2845x1300
>grower
The Who Sell Out

I always thought the album is nothing but filters, however listening to it again at today's context, this album seems like an artifact of the past where history is stored in parodies and satires which this album is. You can help but feel you're back in time listening to those fake ads and jingles.

>shrinker
Pet Sounds

It sounds so outdated compared to albums from that time. The Beatles albums at least have a lasting impact, Pet Sounds is just the influenced to come.
>>
>>60565780
everything by the who shrinks though

Jimi Hendrix just grows and grows and grows

Also, Led Zeppelin, the shrink but then start growing again at a slower rate.
>>
Shrinker: Deloused
Grower: Amputechre
>>
>>60565832
Speaking of Led Zeppelin, do get the 2014 Atlantic remasters. It is seriously good, in terms of the quality of the sound.
>>
>>60565780
>Pet Sounds outdated

Wrong
>>
>>60562333
I liked Loveless immediately, agree with your other ones though.

>grower
Everything by Pavement. They started out sounding very bland to me, but god damn if those songs aren't strangely catchy and memorable.

>shrinker
Doolittle by Pixies. I used to think it was possibly the greatest rock album ever made, maybe it's just cause I've listened to it so damn much but it's really lost it's impact on me.
>>
>>60566161
I haven't heard them. I'm kind of weary of that though because the original productions were so good it almost seems unnecessary. I'll have to check it out
>>
>Grower
Niggas on the moon

>Shrinker
ITAOTS

It's fucking depressing I'll never be able to hear ITAOTS for the first time again
>>
>>60561661
id say MPP is the only shrinker anco have but that may be just me
>>
>>60565832
>everything by the who shrinks though

It's the opposite though. Pete Townshend was such a good songwriter.
>>
>>60565780
Pet Sounds is a grower
>>
>>60566370
yeah but Keith Moon is such a bad drummer and the whole thing is such high energy melodrama it just gets annoying.
>>
i hated aphex twin and loved a love supreme when i was in my "free jazz/modern classical/eai/free improv/noise" aka avant teen phase.
Now that i don't listen to experimental music anymore, a love supreme became a long, boring jazz festival.
Instead i started loving more and more idm and ambient.
>>
>>60566332
>It's fucking depressing I'll never be able to hear ITAOTS for the first time again

I think we all feel the same way.
>>
>>60566440
Not for me, the first time I heard Pet Sounds I was blown away but actually it started to shrink just 2 days ago when I listen to it again.
>>
>>60566467
Venetian Snares grows and AFX shrinks
>>
>>60565780
Pet Sounds is a timeless masterpiece.
>>
>>60566467
>Love Supreme
>avant-teen phase

what the fuck is wrong with your brain
>>
>>60566513
Then you didn't appreciated it right. the arrangements are complex enough to warrant many listenings
>>
>>60566560
Venetian snares is too fucking cheesy and predictable
>>
>>60566749
I was praising Pet Sounds constantly since I first heard back in 2007, albums will shrink eventually and Pet Sounds met that fate.
>>
>Grower
Monster
>Shrinker
Fables of the Reconstruction
>>
>>60566733
a love supreme is avantgarde jazz.....
>>
>grower
Turn On The Bright Lights
>shrinker
Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
>>
>Grower
BtBaM - Colors

>Shower
Nirvana - Nevermind
>>
>grower
piper at the gates of dawn
>shrinker
DSotM
>>
>>60566986
If you havent learned after all this time then you will never truly comprehend it anyway
>>
One is more immediate and melodic, the other is more experimental and atmospheric
>>
>>60567385
Fuck me, I didn't realize people here have a problem with their reading comprehension.
>>
honestly spiderland really grew on me

i had to listen to it like 20 times before liking it

beatles grew off me
>>
grower: college dropout, late registration
shrinker: everything else kanye did
>>
>>60567463
I am perfectly on topic, you are the one deviating the subject. I said you didn't appreciate the music in the way its supposed to be appreciated, and probably never will because of the period of time - 8 years - you have been praising the album.
>>
grower: down colorful hill
shrinker: itcotck

usually albums I love at first I end up disliking and albums I dislike at first I end up loving
>>
>>60567577
Let me guess, the complex arrangements are so good that it couldn't shrink overtime? What is subjectivity of music? But I guess you're too autistic to understand that too. You sound like you just heard that album for the first time and now is trying to force it on anyone that disagrees.
>>
>>60561477
Love Daydream Nation. Didn't dig it as much at first but it is definitely a grower. I need to get around to checking out more Sonic Youth, any recs?
Haven't listened to London Calling enough so I can't comment on that.
>>
>>60567929
Try Bad Moon Rising if you want to get into what Sonic Youth's really all about

After that, try all their other No Wave albums
>>
grower: twiabp - whenever if ever
shrinker: weezer -ewbaite
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.