[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some justifications for this being the best jazz album
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: kind-of-blue.jpg (867 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
kind-of-blue.jpg
867 KB, 1000x1000
What are some justifications for this being the best jazz album of all time?

What do you believe to be the best jazz album of all time and how would you justify that claim?
>>
As much as I love this album, it's not my shit. I honestly prefer My Favorite Things, or Mingus Ah Um, or The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady. This album is the imagined jazz sound. Low chill out music that you drink coffee too.
My personal favorite jazz album is probably My Favorite Things. It just sold well because it did a new thing at the best time for jazz. It's just really commercial.
>>
File: jazzfavrit.jpg (32 KB, 499x500) Image search: [Google]
jazzfavrit.jpg
32 KB, 499x500
>>66410348
My personal favorite is pic related, based on the harmonic bliss that is Evans' playing, the atmosphere of the record that makes you feel as if your in a smokey 50s jazz cafe, and the dynamic interaction between the players, but I can't deny the charm of Kind of Blue.

All the players are strong front to back and the usage of accessible progressions really gave these players more freedom to create something very special. Jazz always will be a genre I primarily appreciate as a musician (versus as a listener), and Kind of Blue makes me think of how great playing with others is.

It might not be the madness of Bitches Brew, the unpredictability of The Inner Eye, nor the undeniable accessibility of Head Hunters, but it's a solid answer in the same vein of The Beatles being a solid normie answer.
>>
Atlantis - Sun Ra is the best jazz album
>>
File: front.jpg (160 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
160 KB, 1000x1000
>>66410525
Wording this, but my personal favorite would be something from Art Blakey certainly, can't decide which though.

As for the best of all time, I can't point it really so I leave it for others on this thread. I not an expert or evem a musician for that matter, I just listen to what amuses me and I do like the sound and pace of anything from Blakey and his Jazz Messengers.
>>
>>66410348
KOB sure is great and archetypal but is far from being the greatest jazz album, though it defines well what late 50s jazz is about.
If I were to pick another era like the 60s or 70s, I'd recommend Speak No Evil, In A Silent Way
or even Mwandishi.
>>66410888
Great album indeed, Everybody Digs Bill Evans is so underrated though.
>>
>>66410348
Why do you need there to be a greatest album of any sort? Listen to what you want, when you want. Moods don't care for top lists.
>>
>>66411329
Because it's an interesting debate. How can we make an objective statement on something where our enjoyment is an abstract, that still has a lot of recurring motives to a certain extend of enjoyment.
>>
File: Monk-Solo4.jpg (84 KB, 271x291) Image search: [Google]
Monk-Solo4.jpg
84 KB, 271x291
>>66410888
As much as I love Bill Evans, it's always Monk in the end
Nothing is so free and controlled

Found this neat recording:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzeQtpna2vQ
>>
>>66410348
Anybody that seriously listens to Jazz wouldn't say its the best of all time. It's just the most well known album by the most well known musician. I wouldn't even say its Miles Davis' best album. It is a great album though.
>>
>>66410348
This is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkjcLU38A6E
>>
>>66410348
It's the equivalent of saying Ocarina of Time is the best game ever made or Citizen Kane is the best film of all time. They are all great but they're all very entry level. Once you dig deeper and start developing your own tastes they can seem kind of bland or safe.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.