[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /mu/, what are your "cultural" occupations outside
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: vlcsnap-2015-09-22-18h37m53s212.png (471 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-09-22-18h37m53s212.png
471 KB, 640x480
Hey /mu/, what are your "cultural" occupations outside from music? Do you read, go to the movies, to the musem?

Also: do you listen to music while you read?
>>
>>60535762
I try to read at least one book a month. Last one was Bataille "Story of The Eye" and now I've started on "Murphy" by Beckett.
I haven't really got the money to go to the movies as of late. Last movie I saw in the theater was the new Roy Andersson film. I sometimes listen to music while I read, depends on what it is I'm reading. But if I do, its mostly ambient with little or no vocals. Sometimes I try to find music that fits the atmosphere of the book.
>>
I know what I like with music, but I struggle when it comes to hidden gems in film, and struggle even more with books.
Don't get me wrong, I love reading, and I know what I like, but when it comes to being able to appreciate things like dialogue or plot development, I really really have to try to notice the small details.
>>
File: 1928.62.jpg (9 KB, 128x180) Image search: [Google]
1928.62.jpg
9 KB, 128x180
>books
I read as much as I can, in the free time my music obsession allows me. lately I've been mostly into essays, aphorisms. even short-form fiction has been difficult for me to muster the concentration for. I usually enjoy it, when I manage to, however. I really prefer writing down my thoughts to reading lately.
most recent book read: Blood Meridian.
>film
it's only since June I've cracked down hard on myself to watch as much of the Criterion Collection as possible. all those legendary directors' names have begun to mean something to me. I now go into films with certain subjectively high expectations that "something will happen" during the production, and I'm disappointed when it doesn't.
I don't go to the theaters anymore, and I'm not even curious about the next three Star Wars movies.
>museum
there's an exhibition of Abbas Kiarostami's films at a relatively new museum I just learned about today. I'm pretty excited.
>>60535762
>do you listen to music while you read?
no. most music I listen to either demands close listening and/or dancing, so usually I read while traveling: riding on the subway, buses or cars, tuning out the ambient noise.
>>
File: UgUyRG9.png (503 KB, 600x602) Image search: [Google]
UgUyRG9.png
503 KB, 600x602
>>60535762
>read
yeah I read literature and philosophy
reading Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics and watch various lectures on youtube Far as literature I like tao lin,pinecone,will self,dfw,sam pink,john williams,John Gardner,bukowski zizek and a bunch of self help books that all repeat themselves. pretty pleb on that area but I enjoy ALT-LIT pretty relatable material

>films
Andrei Tarkovsky,gaspar noe,woody allen,chris marker,ken russell,Jean-Luc Godard,inger bergman films and other shit I come across favourite movie is winter light

but overall I rather just watch sunny in philadelphia all day

>museum
the art in my area is garbage. there's probably an underground scene that I have not discovered yet but the stuff that the art majors in my area make is piss. bunch of andy warhol wannabes
also besides maybe ambient,classical and drone. I can't stand having music playing while I read
>>
File: theactofkilling.jpg (590 KB, 1500x898) Image search: [Google]
theactofkilling.jpg
590 KB, 1500x898
>>60536584
Chris Marker - damn original filmmaker. I loved discovering La Jetee & Sans Soleil.
also if Winter Light's your favorite, check out Luis Bunuel. I've only seen The Exterminating Angel, and that's all I needed to come to the conclusion that Bergman was channeling him hard on Winter Light - I actually think he actually out-Bunuel-ed Bunuel with that one. (no promises that you'll love him as a director, but that's what I picked up anyway.)
>>
>Films

not the classic ones tho, search Stan Brakhage if you want to find out what i mean
>>
>>60536584
>Andrei Tarkovsky,gaspar noe,woody allen,chris marker,ken russell,Jean-Luc Godard
lmao are you me
>>
File: 1446957838127.gif (161 KB, 921x155) Image search: [Google]
1446957838127.gif
161 KB, 921x155
>>60536584
>Tarkovsky, Noe
>It's always sunny
>>
>>60535762
i do halay a lot
>>
>>60535762
Yeah, I read. Just finished some Pyncheon.

Movies, yeah love them. Watched Ilyewn Davis last night because it's been on my list for a while, I'm into pretty terrible movies though (crank and the sequel are like two of my favourite movies).

I work in a museum, so I guess you could say I museum.

Listening to music while reading gives me a headache, I enjoy the immersion more than anything when I read.

>>60536584
Most museums shouldn't be pushing art, those are galleries. Depends what country you are in but most art you have to be deep within the scene to even find good stuff for galleries. Also wtf is drone art? Are you just mashing music genre terms into other forms of art because it doesn't really work that way.
>>
File: mfw.jpg (6 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
6 KB, 160x160
>mfw these plebs have probably never watched a film by 佐藤寿保 [Hisayasu Sato], Rafael Corkidi, 小川紳介 [Shinsuke Ogawa], Alain Fleischer, Bill Gunn, 吴文光 [Wu Wenguang], András Jeles or Franco Brocani
>>
My other main passion is soccer.
Like almost everyone else I enjoy TV, movies and video games.
>>
>>60536859
sorry I meant drone music while I read
got lazy at the end
>>
>>60536916
lol fair enough.
>>
>>60536881
>My other main passion is soccer.
which country do you hail from?
also, what kind of music do you like?
>>
>>60535762
i used to do all of those but lately i don't have the motivation to do any of them

i feel tired by watching a movie
>>
>>60536953
Ingerland compadre, BPL is always interesting.

I'm mainly into hip hop and electronica and other general electronic genres
>>
>>60536980
haha - so you translated football to soccer when posting here, eh? misdirected me.
just curious what a more well-rounded individual would be into on a board of anoraks. cheers
>>
>>60535762
Paint, go to art museums, used to read lots of books and watch films but don't really have much money / time for books these days.

These days I just lay in bed depressed all day too filled with ennui to even pick up guitar or practice songs.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.