[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>he thinks Swans and Merzbow are experimental
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: lebron.jpg (62 KB, 786x931) Image search: [Google]
lebron.jpg
62 KB, 786x931
>he thinks Swans and Merzbow are experimental
>>
this is why other boards hate us
>>
>>66373240
I don't think anybody thinks this though? I'll be the first to admit I've never been the biggest Swans fan, only listened to like 3 of their albums, but never have I thought in any second of listening, "Oh gee they're really experimenting here."

I'm a huge fucking pleb/normie, and I've only heard Pulse Demon, but what would Merzbow be experimenting with? Noises? When I think of experimental, I usually think of the artist trying something different or out of their comfort zone. Merzbow seems pretty in-touch with who he is as an artist.

That makes me wonder, what is experimental? Because I also here people calling Death Grips experimental, and to a point I can maybe see what they're saying with the way they change it up a little bit every album. But at the same time it seems way too poppy and catchy (TMS, BP, NLDW) to even be near experimental. So what is experimental?
>>
>>66373282
>That makes me wonder, what is experimental? Because I also here people calling Death Grips experimental,
you're right on some points the band themselves isn't experimental. but to every new fan to their music would think it's experimental so the context used for the term can be based upon the fans reaction
>>
>>66373282
>I don't think anybody thinks this though

loooooooooooooooool
>>
Using the term "experimental" in itself is retarded in the first place.
>>
>>66373314
I think using the classification of new fans finding it experimental can be a little dangerous though. Because sure it takes a while for new listeners to tune their ears to what they're hearing, and maybe they're not used to such abrasivity, but Death Grips isn't the first group to interpolate noise into their music as far as I know. So are they experimenting? No, but I guess as far as the new listener knows, they may as well be?

I don't know, it's a rabbit hole of discussion that I'm not too sure I want to get into at 8 am
>>
>>66373321
I should rephrase that to people on this board. I've only been here for little over 6 months probably, but even I know by now that there's way more boundary-breaking shit out there than Swans and Merzbow.
>>
>>66373353
yeah discussion itself is a rabbit hole.calling swans,merzbow and dg experimental is just an easy way to label them for new listeners I suppose.
/mu/ is a mixture of both people who listen to top 40 and some of /mu/core and leave at that and the advance users who go deeper into genres.
>>
>>66373269
:(
>>
>>66373282
I guess good examples of experimental music would be black antlers by coil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSpAddimH_g&ab_channel=mikelbook
and starsailor by tim buckley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZvag-XPCHQ&ab_channel=JadoaOnMyMind

starsailor particularly still sounds experimental today
>>
>>66373269
>implying every board doesn't hate every other board
>>
>>66374495
/mu/ and [s4s] are best friends
>>
File: Untitled.png (2 MB, 1162x912) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2 MB, 1162x912
>>66373240
>
>>
File: opidiot.png (246 KB, 402x592) Image search: [Google]
opidiot.png
246 KB, 402x592
Reminder that nothing sounded like filth at it's release, making it expermiental
>>
>>66373240
True, but Animal Collective is experimental I'd say
>>
>>66374740
>what is no-wave
are you even trying to ruse me?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.