[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your opinion on John Zorn?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: Naked_City.jpg (93 KB, 383x350) Image search: [Google]
Naked_City.jpg
93 KB, 383x350
What's your opinion on John Zorn?
>>
I like Naked City

I don't know much about just Zorn though
>>
I've so much respect for that man's mind. His formula/composition style has been very influential for me
>>
He's made an awful lot of what I would consider comedy music that I don't really like. Like Naked City.
I'm not a big fan of the way they cut and paste musically disparate ideas together. It's jarring how suddenly they move between each other and how absurdly different they are.
It's kind of like how Frank Zappa would make interesting compositions but ruin them with bad jokes and over practiced musicians. Stuff like the surf rock and the awful lounge jazz next to atonal free jazz ravings.
I don't even mind that it's trying to be funny. There's a lot of music I like because it's funny. In Naked City's case though I think it's just puerile.
They're a pretty incredible band from a musicianship point of view but the actual compositions are fucking awful.

That said, I think Masada are pretty great.
>>
>>66339081
His Naked City type shit is absolute garbage. His jew music is cool though
>>
He is the greatest living composer and it's not even worth discussing him on /mu/ because he is beyond what most people can comprehend. Absolute definition of genius. Take the time to watch the interview on him with Larry ochs, I believe it's on archive.org

The amount of boundaries he has pushed while being inspired by everyone from Aleister Crowley to Yamantaka Eye to Wittgenstein makes him the GOAT to me at least. Not to mention he has worked with some of the greatest musicians around. I have a friend who has actually attended a performance of his theatre of musical optics many years ago downtown.
>>
>>66339081
His new album the painted bird is excellent
>>
he's a talented hack
>>
>>66339763
There's no such thing as an "over practiced" musician.
>>
>>66339081

regardless of his music, he runs a great avant garde venue in NYC on the lower east side called The Stone that has been supporting jazz and experimental music in that city for a long time, which is incredible. It's pretty much the last bastion of true boundary pushing music in new york.
>>
>>66341221
Drove 7 hours to see Zorn and Frith perform last year. Incredible show and great audience.
>>
He has made stuff that ranges from amazing (Electric Masada) to laughable (Naked City) to fucking awful (A Dreamer's Christmas.)
>>
>>66341160
There is when you're playing jazz. It comes across as stilted and loses all the spontaneity and looseness that makes jazz so wonderful. It's the same effect as what happens when classical orchestras play jazz. It just doesn't feel right at all.
>>
>>66341408

I've never seen a bad show there! It really is a space for the music
>>
>>66341442
I loved dreamers Christmas Kek really funny album to play around the holidays.

>>66341490
Not him but I disagree. I think he is well aware of those dynamics and utilizes them among many other techniques in a jazz context. He was on the forefront of free improv and used is against composition in plenty of jazz pieces. He just wasn't there for jazz's creation and is coming from an outside perspective, maybe that hinders the spirit of jazz you are thinking of
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 575x565) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 575x565
Spillane is breddy gud imo, Forbidden Fruit moves me in a way few songs can
>>
>>66339763
You realize that Naked City is Zorn's tribute to Carl Stalling? The guy who wrote the music for the Looney Tunes.
>>
>>66340937
This.

>>66341490
He is actually a pretty great jazz sax player and can play straight forward stuff very well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr48yf5m4Bo
>>
I've never listened to him seriously but I saw some clips of Naked City live and it was pretty sterile, a bunch of nerds sitting around listening to 30-second grindcore/free jazz songs and then clapping quietly before the next song. It was loud and chaotic but it somehow lacked energy.
>>
His music is so fucking gross, kill yourself if you like him
>>
>>66343353
?
>>
>>66340937
Pretty much what i think

Favorite composer besides ornette coleman and john cage
>>
hes killin
>>
>>66341081
most accurate post ITT
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27pCeuhf0N0
Published on March 22, 2016
>>
I've liked all of his stuff that I've heard, but I'm don't really listen to jazz
>>
I love Naked City and Painkiller, but I haven't listened to much of his solo stuff. What would be the best album to start with (aside from Naked City)?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.