[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/noise/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: Noise2.png (312 KB, 545x545) Image search: [Google]
Noise2.png
312 KB, 545x545
>>49798355
Reaching the limit pretty soon

Anything noise related. Including noise influenced genres.

Favorite noise artist?
Favorite noise album?
Your own noise creation?
Your own set up or favorite setup?
Good album to get into noise with?
>>
File: merzbow-promo.jpg (3 MB, 2523x1735) Image search: [Google]
merzbow-promo.jpg
3 MB, 2523x1735
>>49839648
Merzbow is the way to go.
He is a pretty good drummer too. His DIY aesthetic is what makes him cool.
>>
File: Filth0.jpg (2 MB, 4928x3264) Image search: [Google]
Filth0.jpg
2 MB, 4928x3264
https://reiflagg.bandcamp.com/releases

Noise-only pieces, glitchy noise created from Max/MSP patcher that I made, distorted growl/screech, industrial tracks, and etc.

In order to get a better /mu/ noise creator community within /noise/, let's get more feedbacks going around instead of posting and then abandoning the thread forever. I noticed that people were unhappy about that.

I gotta sleep pretty soon unfortunately because I had a very long day and feeling tired, but I would be more than happy to listen and give feedback when I wake up so please keep monitoring the thread.
>>
>>49839742
My first noise album was Merzbow's "Dharma".

Still one of my favourites.
>>
>>49839798
"I'm Coming to the Garden..." was probably my first noise piece that I heard. I loved it.
>>
>>49839815
"I'm Coming to the Garden..." got me interested.
"Piano Space for Marimo Kitty" made me fall in love.
>>
Are folks into noise generally also into free jazz?

Totally see some crossover. Brotzmann, etc..
>>
>>49839648
Can I ask for noise rock recs in here, or is that too out of place?
>>
>>49839899
I'm very into Eric Dolphy's stuff.
Bought his album "Out There" recently.
Ron Carter on cello. Hell yes.
>>
>>49839900
Noise influenced genres are ALL GOOD!

Bands like Melt Banana solidified my love for noise, so noise rock belong here.

>>49839886
Nice! Glad to share the same experience.
>>
Has everyone given clipping. a listen? They're well worth it. Noise hop.
>>
>>49840014
Alright, thanks. I really love EVOL by Sonic Youth and the really heavy sound it has, as well as Sister. I'm not sure if it's considered to be really noisy by some people really into the genre, but what I'm really looking for are things that have that sort of heaviness of EVOL and the noisy parts of Sister. I haven't listened to early SY yet which I need to, but what bands other than SY are good with this sound?
>>
Fuck general threads. Listen to music for it's individual purpose and stop lumping it all together.
>>
>>49840064
It sucks that they're hated now because of Fanatano's score.

Although, their latest lp is not that good compared to Midcity IMO.
>>
File: totem.jpg (69 KB, 558x566) Image search: [Google]
totem.jpg
69 KB, 558x566
>>49839900
If you haven't heard White Suns, definitely get on that. Probably the closest I've heard a noise rock band get to the noise end of the spectrum (if you're not counting stuff like The Gerogerigegege), really unique stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wARjfnThpk8
>>
>>49840105
Maybe 4chan shouldn't have a music board then. I mean, fuck general boards, right? Appreciate different forms of artistic expression for their individual purposes and stop lumping it all together, right? I mean, following that logic, right?

General threads are just a statement of "Hey, I like this genre and wanna talk about this genre. Who else likes this genre and wants to talk about this genre?"

Just saying, it's a pretty arbitrary thing to oppose.
>>
I know this is hard to describe, but what is it about harsh noise that interests you? How do I get into it and what should I listen for?
>>
>>49840139
I'm kind of looking for more rock oriented noise rock, considering I don't listen to regular noise and want to ease myself into it if I feel like trying to get into the genre.
>>
>>49840137
So frustrating when people think they have to treat Fantano's opinions as objective truths.

He actively encourages people to form their own opinions and debate their side. I feel no discomfort in disagreeing with him every now and again.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGXRyc7xJP4

Track is called "Breach of Faith", though "Bread of Faith" sounds pretty tasty.
>>
>>49840159
Giving different subjects their own boards is appreciating them for their individual purposes.
You're the one who would have a single board for every cultural nuance. We used to just call themed threads by the subject matter. Writing the name in forward slash is taking it too far.
>>
>>49840159
Thank you.

>>49840186
Oh no, he gave them a great score. /mu/ just wanted to have an opposing view to not look like they are riding on a bandwagon.

>>49840166
Stress reliever. Gets the anger out. It's like a painful detox.
>>
>>49840171
Fair enough; I feel like White Suns blend the two really well, though, so still give it a listen if you haven't!

Otherwise, check out Lightning Bolt; they're pretty essential, definitely noisy but still really rock-oriented:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efSwcRW1X-Y
>>
File: VA - The Rain Of Fish.jpg (219 KB, 390x522) Image search: [Google]
VA - The Rain Of Fish.jpg
219 KB, 390x522
Gave this a listen last night, it was fucking good. Especially liked the track "KKK Nightmare", sound collage goodness.

>>49839900
Not too into Noise Rock but I know there's a massive chart of recommended albums out there somewhere, you could try looking through the wiki for it.
>>
>>49840216
Care to explain that a little more?
>>
>>49840211
No, I wouldn't. Thanks for assuming though. I'm just saying it's kind of arbitrary to nit-pick like that.

Like seriously, who gives a fuck if everyone wants to talk about a genre in a single thread? What difference does it make if you call it a "noise general" thread instead of a "noise" thread? There's virtually no difference.

I don't even understand where your complaint is.
>>
>>49840264
That's what the forward slash means. It's like they believe they started their own page on the site. It's nerdy and obnoxious.
>>
File: eraserhead-1977-03-g.jpg (106 KB, 1200x892) Image search: [Google]
eraserhead-1977-03-g.jpg
106 KB, 1200x892
>>49839648
All this stuff is conceptual. This one came with a double disc DVD that was pretty much like an interactive movie or video game. Pretty fucking far out and scary shit.
https://0011011001111000.bandcamp.com/album/6x-2

This has a good review about it:
http://acloserlisten.com/2013/09/30/0011011001111000-6x/

It also won some awards and shit, but I can't find them right now.
>>
>>49840166
I'm an electronic engineering student and I've taken a few music tech modules. So for me a lot of my enjoyment in listening to harsh noise is listening out for familiar effects and circuit bends and picking out samples and just enjoying the construction and variation in the composition.

Aside from the technical enjoyment, I just enjoy the fact that it's a total sonic barrage. An onslaught of sounds that you never hear in most other genres of music because they're too ugly and abrasive.

It's trance-like yet it's blood pumping. It's chilling, it's exciting, it's hypnotic. But all pretentiousness aside, it's just fun. It's having fun expressing oneself with "non-musical" sound.
>>
>>49840318
That is the most asinine thing to be upset about.

Seriously.

Who the fuck cares? It's still the same thread with the same content. It's just a more recognizable title that fits the format of the website.

You're just nit-picking. And that's waaaay more obnoxious and nerdy.
>>
>>49840330
I tried snagging the DVD off a public tracker a while back but no one was seeding it, pissed me off.
>>
>>49840166
There's a couple things I like about it; sound-wise I'm not too huge into the relentless impenetrable walls of noise, I like the more subtle (but still harsh) stuff with really interesting sounds and textures, noise music really takes on a physical quality that I don't get from other genres

Plus I love the idea of making/performing noise because of how organic it is - with instruments you can play certain notes, choose specific effects, etc, but when you've got this throbbing mass of noise and a big pedal setup, messing with the knobs and shit gives me the impression that you're only partially shaping these sounds that keep growing and evolving on their own

That sounds really pretentious when I type it out, but like >>49840355 said it's really just fun!
>>
>>49840166
>>49840395
also, someone posted this in a previous thread, perfect example of that second point I was talking about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti8bik5XiHs
>>
>>49840395
Agreed. There's a fair bit of variation in harsh noise. The first track of Merzbow's "Spiral Honey" springs to mind.
>>
>>49840355
>electronic engineering student

Awesome. I'm minoring in EE, but taking circuits classes have been making me appreciate hardware (like guitar pedal) more.
>>
>>49840417
No side A on Youtube unfortunately, but here's side B. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHoICAysAU8
>>
>>49840368
Damn. That's cool that it's got a torrent though! Hopefully more people seed.
>>
>>49840468
I hope so too, I'd like to see it one day.
>>
>>49840452
I'll give it a listen, thanks!

>>49840355
Oh cool, I'm an EE student too. I really want to start messing with stuff and making noise, I'm really interested in the whole DIY area of things too. I'm still only in some of the basic classes, though, what year are you?
>>
>>49840484
Yeah, it ended up selling out not long after I got it. You can probably try contacting them to see if there's more. It's trippy as shit!
>>
>>49840490
Going into second year. Hoping to start doing some pedal design in my spare time soon. Really want to make a bit crusher.
>>
>>49840362
People who get into music via 4chan turn it into a meme and associate it with this site. It's especially loathsome because the userbase here is tiny.
>>
>>49840330
The first track on this album is really good, I'm listening to it now. Wish I could buy that set.
>>
>>49840573
if you contact them on their bandcamp or facebook you might be able to get it still. I'm not sure. Couldn't hurt though!
>>
>>49840673
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.
>>
Anyone got any good, recent Power Electronics in the vein of Genocide Organ?
>>
>>49840698
Brighter Death Now, Anenzephalia, Grunt, Con-Dom, IRM.
>>
>>49840741
Have they released any good albums recently?
>>
>>49840761
Brighter Death Now's last release was Very Little Fun in 2011.

Anenzephalia released Kaltwelt in 2012.

Con-Dom released Nothing - Live Manifestations Of The Eighth Pillar: Maschinenfest / Jerusalem earlier this year.

IRM released Order4 in 2010.
>>
>>49840822
Thx m8. Will check into them. Only heard BDN and ConDom before.
>>
>>49840876
Anenzephalia is a side project of Genocide Organ.
>>
>>49840554
Oh no. People associate memes with 4chan. How awful.

Seriously, this is really silly.
>>
>a thread full of people who have never been to a noise show

bunch of weekend warriors professing your love for Merz and shit...
>>
>>49841299
You're too cool for us.
>>
>>49841316
shut the fuck up, Johnny Cash!
>>
>>49841299
As someone who went to a number of PE and noise shows in Germany during the late 90s...so the fuck what? Why would this matter? It doesn't improve my appreciation or understanding of the genres.
>>
>>49841336
you were too busy getting drunk and doing poppers, sucking cock and cumming on leather to know any better.
>>
>>49841316
Hey

I just sent you a message on last fm
>>
>>49841349
>drunk
>poppers
>at a noise/PE show

Got the leather right, though. At least sometimes.
>>
File: LEARN MUSIC.gif (930 KB, 323x228) Image search: [Google]
LEARN MUSIC.gif
930 KB, 323x228
>>49841349
>>
>>49841364
I honestly wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't told me here hahahahaha.

Also, they aren't vinyl, just normal paper stickers.
>>
File: image.jpg (971 KB, 1342x2614) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
971 KB, 1342x2614
Pic related (yes it's me)
Merzbow - Venereology
My kids
My chainsaw
Masonna - Noskl in Ana
>>
>>49839900
>>49840014

Again, as in every /noise/ thread: NO, noise rock doesn't belong here.
>>
>>49839899
i am, albert ayler is my favourite
>>49839900
listen to Harry Pussy
>>49841446
nice
>>
>>49840554
>turn it into a meme and associate it with this site

An image and title that are used once every few days (at most) by threadstarters serve as anchors, they aren't memes.

The use of a style similar to 4chan seemeds more of a lighthearted adoption of the style.

You have no proof this stuff is a "meme" or that people associate noise with 4chan.
>>
>>49841299

I've been to plenty of noise shows. Though. Glasgow's "scene" is pretty active so there're always gigs on, often with acts from further afield rolling through.
>>
>>49842848
I fucking wish there was a "scene" in my city. All we have is stoner psych rock and indie kid pop. Or maybe it's just so underground I don't even know it exists.
>>
>>49842361

Plenty of noise rock would fit here. South Saturn Delta being a perfect example of some that would.
>>
>>49840105
I would agree but /noise/ is the best 4chan community I've ever seen and I don't want to see it go to shit
>>
>>49840171
Big Black is one you should already know about
Early Swans
Lots of No Wave. You may just want to get the No New York compilation album
>>
>>49840171
Start with Mclusky and The Icarus Line. Both ggreat acts and on the punk side of noise-rok see also jesus lizard

then move onto big black, rapeman, shellac. early swans.

finally end with a heap of fucking awesome rocking WOLF EYEs or HAIR POLICE or NAUTICAL ALMANAC, that type of music. enjoy friend, wish I was where you were with this knowledge in hand
>>
>>49839899
>Are folks into noise generally also into free jazz?
Don Cherry is the shit.
>>49840166
I like to zone out to the longer pieces and occasionally be surprised by interesting textures. I also enjoy shorter pieces sandwiched between non-noise songs on albums.
>>49840171
The Jesus Lizard, McLusky, Distorted Pony
>>
File: needs some masonna.png (18 KB, 354x484) Image search: [Google]
needs some masonna.png
18 KB, 354x484
Trying to make a guide to early harsh noise, here's a super early draft
>>
>>49839899
Try as I might I just can't into Free Jazz. Funny, because I can tolerate all manner of Harsh Noise but I can't fucking stand Free Jazz.
>>
>>49839899

Noise and jazz have massive crossover.

Stuff luike the American Tapes catalogue, Fag Tapes stuff and the likes of Borbetomagus from Japan.
>>
File: art1.jpg (75 KB, 566x600) Image search: [Google]
art1.jpg
75 KB, 566x600
If this isn't actually Gero, who could it be?
>>
https://shelters0.bandcamp.com/album/end
Thoughts?
Full length album in October
>>
>>49839899
Of course. Anthony Braxton is probably my favorite at the moment(and funnily enough, he's actually collaborated with Wolf Eyes on a very good live album).
>>
>>49840171
Brainbombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XNXBLbLQMk

Liars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAA4hgBZrCs

Oxbow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCQ3fjxJaGY

Black Dice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbs891n5PQs

Today Is The Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwEQWH6jh6c
>>
>>49843614
How fucking great was They Were Wrong So We Drowned and Beaches & Canyons
>>
>>49843664
Pretty fucking great. Though I'm glad that Liars didn't stick with that sound for too long, my favorite thing about that band is the way they constantly reinvent themselves.
>>
>>49843697
Yeah undoubtedly, their evolving is always interesting, although I think they had room to experiment more in the noisier realm.

I have loved Black Dices' evolution as a band to, another great discography to get lost in.

Did you ever like The Icarus Line, like the Rolling Stones of noise rock?
>>
>>49843719
Never heard them. Which albums do you recommend?
>>
File: MI0003699036.jpg (41 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
MI0003699036.jpg
41 KB, 400x400
Could this be considered noise ?
>>
>>49843738
Well you'd really like their second album 'Penance Soiree' and probably their first album 'Mono' alot, the rest is interesting but thats a great start. Check these two songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeBm5ImMAZw
^^ from penance soiree - opening track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pt6vuMhZbU
^^ from mono - also opening track

lemme know what you think from that
>>
>>49843255
last 3 minutes are good first 7 minutes are piss
>>
>>49843771
Borbetomagus is closer to free improv than they are to straight-up noise, I think. Great group though.

>>49843779
This is quite good, reminds me of some 90s SubPop stuff and Andy Falkous' bands. I'll check out their albums, thanks!
>>
I'm sick of people who are like "I don't like noise by itself but it sounds good incorporated into other styles". I wish people would go fuck themselves.
>>
>>49843880
nice glad to see you enjoyed

yeah their production does sound likke some Falkous bands and they def love SubPop and wear influences on their sleeves. yet they pull it off with a swagger like they are the Rolling Stones of current Rock/noise-rock/punk-rock
but way more inaccesible.
>>
>>49843251

They had other exhibitioners
>>
>>49839900
Big Black - Pigpile
>>
>>49843973

This, now /noise/ is being overrun by noise rock kiddies and stupid rhythmic noise shit. That BC and SC spam did way more damage than I thought it would.
>>
>>49843973
Eh, I don't mind a bit of noise rock discussion leaking into these threads now and again though I do agree that it should be kept to a minimum.
It's not like making separate threads for noise and noise rock is that hard, in fact there was a couple of pretty solid noise rock threads on /mu/ this week.

>>49844082
>rhythmic noise shit

This has very little place here though, I agree.
>>
>>49844065
No, I mean that the music on the album isn't actually by the Gerogerigegege.
>>
>>49844082
>>49844154
Rhythmic/power noise is a subgenre of noise, & it belongs just as fine as PE does in a noise thread. If anything, if we were being picky about what doesnt belong, noise rock would go first (although personally i dont mind it at this point because it happens in literally every thread, its unescapeable).
>>
>>49844082
>>49844154
chill
>>
>>49844577

It's not the music itself that bothers me it's just like that guy said the whole attitude of "noise that doesn't have samples or is just pure noise is bad" thing that is getting on my nerves.
>>
is 4chan slow as fuck for anyone else
>>
>>49844727
Yeah that is a bad viewpoint, it throws a ton of good noise under the boat. But thankfully its just a few people i've seen who say that in a thread.

To let the meta discussion stop for a bit, here's a question: what's the most intense noise album you enjoy? There's plenty of people who can think up a noise album that's good for those who are new to noise, but what can you think up that blows you away, that makes your ears hurt in the best way?
>>
>>49842834
People associate any music they get into through /mu/ with 4chan and it is that way because I say it is. This isn't court and you can't hold me down to some legislative standard you dickless nerd.
>>
>>49841446
Where the fuck do you get a masonna shirt?
>>
>>49844752
It was just a few minutes ago
Seems to be functioning now, though
>>
>>49844809

I really like Neuroscience is Dumb-BreakdancingRonaldReagan he has really dirty sounding walls and they're the best on that album, though pretty much anything by government alpha I really like too just the whole cut up style in general.
>>
>>49844867
I'm as nervous as you are about the prospect of dumbshit kids latching onto these threads for the sake of being able to impress their secret club buddies with their Last.fm scrobbles but come on, you're trying to make an issue out of nothing.
Not many people on this board like noise, certainly not enough to support threads that revolve around the discussion of just one artist/album/subgenre or whatever. These threads attract more posters than less broad noise-related threads would, and (at least so far)these posters have largely been sensible, helpful and generally non-retarded.
So calm down.
>>
Is there an essential chart or something for the softer side of noise music?
>>
>>49845857
That would be cool to invest time into searching out albums like that, but afaik, no charts for "soft noise" don't exist.
>>
>>49845857

its called shoegaze
>>
These threads are either gonna embrace elitism or go to shit.
They're too friendly for their own good.
>>
>>49845857
yes search essential onkyo
>>
>>49845857
No, but there are charts for drone and ambient music.
>>
I just discovered Cha'ak'ab Paaxil: it's a festival of improvisation (electroacustic, free jazz, noise...) which takes place on Mexico (Mérida, Yucatán). I thought my country wasn't into this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM2e_KctF3g
>>
File: 1348601830224.jpg (18 KB, 379x374) Image search: [Google]
1348601830224.jpg
18 KB, 379x374
>>49846231
>>
https://soundcloud.com/shayne-wilkinson
could i get some feedback on my tracks. How am I doing in terms of layering/textures wise?
>>
>>49846399
vaporwave/10
>>
File: burning.jpg (10 KB, 469x418) Image search: [Google]
burning.jpg
10 KB, 469x418
Post perfect albums.
>>
>>49846703
:/
>>
>>49839648
fuck yeah good thread.

http://soundcloud.com/caincraven is my noise
>>
>>49846703
your going backwards.. stuff is getting worse. I liked your tracks tho, great stuff. keep the brutality, don't go soft and flaccid :)
>>
>>49847172
i think im going to sample some black metal for some of my next stuff so brutality should be making a return
>>
>>49847317
sweet. lookin forward to it ;)
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 500x500
>>49846892
Pic related or Aube's Cardiac Strain.
>>
>>49842395
aw yeah Ayler bros.
>>
>>49839792
Here. As promised, I will give feedback.

>>49846399
Noisy vaporwave. Surprisingly, I haven't heard something like that. You should polish that and make it your thing.

Little more layering could be could. Something in the higher frequency too maybe?

>>49847043
Jazz Oscillatorio E Rumoroso
Fuck. This is fucking intense.
It could be even noisier. Something more screeching without making somebody's ear bleed.

Still, this is fucking rad. Pure madness.
>>
>>49848256
Thanks a lot anon. mkay track I'm workin on now has some dnb/neuro influence, I'm likin the screech idea.

holy shit this thread is funny, I'm diggin the discussion. No-one gonna 'ruin' noise or make it mainstream in any case. If people get into somethin different from it being a meme or whatever, so be it. I totally support it. If it helps someone grow their musical vocabularly and expand their minds gotta be a good thing.
>>
File: 1409947180178.gif (2 MB, 666x1300) Image search: [Google]
1409947180178.gif
2 MB, 666x1300
>>
1. Sampling is for fucking faggots
2. Fuck your faggot ass soundcloud shit made with pirated VSTS in your mom's house
>>
>>49849436
lel
>>
>>49849948

No-Input Mixer Noise or bust.
>>
>>49849948
Fuck you I'll do what I want.
>>
I thought the first reply was funny
https://rbt.asia/mu/thread/S48317185
>>
File: 1410208003737.jpg (342 KB, 1600x2200) Image search: [Google]
1410208003737.jpg
342 KB, 1600x2200
>>
>>49849948
i bet u record everything on tape cause thats s000 hipstar, obscvre and patrishun of Uuu. keep 4l1v3 the spirit 0f no1se :o)
>>
These threads are turning to shit.
Thank you /mu/ for ruining everything.
>>
>>49850677
I'm glad you liked it. I don't have proof it was me but I remember seeing that thread and making that post.

>>49851278
they're doing okay. Gunna propose an idea though: what if we had a website for noise. Like noise-general.com, with forums dedicated to artist discussion, collab discussion, chart creation, and general tips and recommendations?
>>
>>49851721

There are already noise forums with a far larger userbase. Also the idea of subforums for artist discussion wouldn't be worth much as not too many artists are really discussed.
>>
>>49851721
>>49852034
>noisefaggots can't handle the truth about his shitty non-music genre.
>>
>>49840166
Cool textures essentially. Although part of me getting into it was just out of me being curious as to how harsh and atonal music can go. I'm very into the more extreme forms of metal and hardcore like Powerviolence and Grindcore.
>>
>>49841446
Are you Ben Roethlisberger?
>>
>>49852086
https://rbt.asia/mu/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_username=That+Argentinian+QT

Leave shit poster.
>>
>>49851278
/mu/ runs everything it touches into the ground sooner or later.
>>
>>49852415
Things go in cycles. First off /noise/ is still pretty good. Second, even if it was bad it can get good again.
>>
>>49851721
If you make the site I'll participate.
>>
>>49839648
D-does anyone wanna listen to my band's old release

girl-o.bandcamp.com
>harsh noise with a sense of humor
>synthesizers on best track
>recorded on an iphone
>>
I make noise because I like hearing the textures and focusing on looped sounds that feel nice, but also because I'm not talented enough to produce techno bangers. Why do you make noise, /noise/?
>>
>>49853662
because i don't have good enough equipment to make anything else lol
>>
>>49853662
I like the way it sounds and it's fun to make.
>>
>>49853553
it's too much for me, but it's good anon. I like the cover
>>
>>49853662
>girl-o.bandcamp.com
You may be trolling but this could be on a compilation album if it had a couple more layers. This isn't harsh noise though. It isn't drone either.
>>
Ben frost and pharmakon are my fav
>>
>>49853737
>>49853553
Just realized I listed to the wrong album. My criticism is still the same just for the other album. I will check out the white one now.
>>
>>49849948
Truth
>>
who /merzbuta/
>>
>>49853761
You know what, they are both noise. Just not harsh noise. I think these threads think harsh noise=noise. That's it. I should have saw Pharmakon when I had the chance. Did anyone go to the Brooklyn show over Labor Day weekend?
>>
>>49849948
what if I told you I make my noise digitally with VSTs, samples and little bits from my own field recordings and then record it through voice memo, import into my DAW, master it and THEN up it? Would that upset you?>
>>
>>49853832
I personally hate harsh noise, especially high piercing mid frequencies. Fuuuck I'm getting a headache just thinking about it
>>
>>49853832
Ben frost is industrial, Pharmakon is power electronics.
>>
>>49853761
Nice satire.
>>
>>49853982
Is she though? I mean compare her to Whitehouse. If Whitehouse is power electronics I would consider Pharmakon Industrial. Ben Frost is like an avant-techno noise. Kind of like Vatican Shadow. Then again Dom considers Vatican Shadow industrial. I don't know?
>>
>>49853774
it's cool m8 I forgot we released the other thing lel
>>
>>49854140
So I liked both. They were a bit haphazard in approach. I'd give both a B-. You could do better in terms of production but your ideas are there anon. Keep at it, noise is a fun hobby. Or maybe it isn't. Maybe it's therapeutic.
>>
>>49849948

I literally do all of that. In fact, I just make a bunch of presets and click through them now. <:^)
>>
>>49854129
Yeah she's def power electronics, but death industrial would probably work too.

People call Frost Industrial techno, i found that works.
>>
>>49854513
Okay, thank you Anon. This is helpful for when I have to explain mannerisms of musical genres to friends and family.
>>
>>49853662
I started off wanting to do Industrial music inspired by Nurse With Wound, Throbbing Gristle, Skinny Puppy, and whatnot. My gear was a demo of FL studio, a disc of computer music magazine's free VST offerings, and Mu.lab free. I never wanted to do pure noise when I started, and my first works were contemplative minimalist pieces with weird noises and distorted drum machines playing Tribal sounding beats. I bought a microkorg, taught myself the basics of keyboard playing, and took a music theory class, a piano class, and a music technology class at my highschool(s). (I swapped schools, which offered the piano/tech class) The reason for making music during this phase of my life was simply that nobody would form a band with me. I sucked at singing and even though I offered to some of the more avant garde peers of mine to be a sound effects/noise guy instead, nobody wanted anything to do with me and music.

Years later, during the aftermath of a shitty living situation I was living with my (now ex) girlfriend at her mom's house and had almost nothing but a laptop and some old clothes from the goth phase I went through in highschool that were getting too small. I was so poor the only shoes I could afford were combat boots a half size too big. I was pretty damn punk. Anyway, I was recruited to Terranean Recordings, who were looking for new artists in a thread on here so I started up a project called "Pray, Repent, Receive". All I had to make anything was a shitty HP laptop, so I borrowed a USB karaoke mic from a friend and manipulated found sounds using audacity, LMMS, and various freeware tools I can't remember the names of now. I made music then because I had always wanted to be an artist (I draw/paint sometimes) and I never had any motivation to practice, so I never got good. I was also kind of pissed that I had stopped practicing piano, so I couldn't actually play anything then either. So, I made noise.

Fast forward to the era of Cretin Dilettante...
>>
>>49854895
I was frustrated with DAWS because I felt like my noise compositions sounded too boring and I wanted more live and spontaneous elements to them. I deleted all of my software tools and bought some used gear, which included a Korg EA-1, Roland TR-505, Korg DW-8000, and Roland SP-808. Basically I focused on learning to use hardware, and then finding ways to "play" the various machines at my disposal by abusing different functions. Then after a couple years of that, I got tired of the limitations of hardware and bought DAW stuff and midi controllers.

Today, I got back to practicing piano and I have made a bit of progress with my drawing skills so I make noise "just because". It's a part of me now, and always be I think. Plus, I still have some things to say that can only be said with dissonance, cacophony, and excessive yelling. ;p
>>
>>49842361
Aww, suck a wiener. Any wiener. It doesn't have to be the wiener which is a euphemism for "penis", but it must be a wiener nonetheless.

Anyway! Noise rock contains Noise and should be considered a subgenre.
>>
>>49854895
>microkorg
Let me tell you something anon. I've had a minibrute an sh 101 gaia and I think that microkorg is the best bang for the buck. Even better. You can get a used one for like 200 bucks and it is an amazing synth.

For those who are on /mu/ a lot I'm the guy who bought his gaia for $320. Do not pay full retail for that synth.
>>
>>49854895
>>49855200

You trying to upstage my army of circuitbent Furbys?
>>
>>49854895
>>49855200
That's a pretty cool story.
>>
>>49855284
Noise rock is a subgenre of rock music though. There's some noise rock bands that straddle the line(Sightings come to mind immediately) but for the most part the split between the "noise" and the "rock" tends to be like 10:90.
It's a shame noise rock threads aren't as popular as they used to be on this board, this whole discussion could have been avoided if they were.
>>
>>49855292
I do miss it, sometimes.
>>
I remember first hearing this when I was 15, listened to it for months on end. Revisiting it now, what do you guys make of it?

http://grahamkartna.bandcamp.com/album/tinto5-ep
>>
Please post good harsh noise album enable in Spotify. Not Merzbow
>>
>>49855838
>tfw this is the first time in 2014 I've opened spotify
how's this http://open.spotify.com/album/441xYzjI7xezwsQuyZ6S3q

My first idea of The Cherry Point wasn't on there.
>>
>>49856830
Thanks
>>
>>49840330
>https://0011011001111000.bandcamp.com/album/6x-2
holy fuck this is cool? where can I watch the DVD?
>>
File: 1410306840985.jpg (82 KB, 602x606) Image search: [Google]
1410306840985.jpg
82 KB, 602x606
https://soundcloud.com/cuban-cigar-crisis/tolerant-jehovahs-witness-vs
>>
File: image.jpg (321 KB, 1015x1452) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
321 KB, 1015x1452
nohomerecs.bandcamp.com
>>
Tonight my project Error Humano is going to record some new songs, it's gonna be more ambient. When the songs are ready I'm gonna put the download link here
>>
>>49856994
on their facebook they have a link to a torrent but no one is seeding :(
>>
>>49846892

What is this? Image search says it's the Mayhem logo.
>>
>>49860193

Mz.412 - Burning The Temple Of God
>>
I've been working through the Powernoise essentials chart, downloaded the discographies of and have been liking Imminent Starvation, Pete Swanson, Xotox, Somatic Responses and Pan Sonic. Also interested in recommendations for stuff in the vein of Noisegirl, SAM, Xentrifuge, Phosgore, etc.
>>
>>49850802
Hey chart friend, Timothy-Barnes here. I don't really know why "ereeatingthings" is included under my image. My other Soundcloud page is https://soundcloud.com/plaguefog
>>
Sweet, this thread is still alive.

>>49840216
Stress reliever. Gets the anger out. It's like a painful detox.

FUCKING THIS. Music is fun again.

new noise for all yor
https://soundcloud.com/caincraven/do-u-even-plus60db
>>
>>49855407
no it isn't a shame at all. it's for good reason. half the time people calling themself 'noise rock' is usually just an excuse for not being able to play their instruments and being shit. It's not always noise for noise sake, it's justifications for plebdom.

some is okay though
>>
File: The ReinCARNAGEtion.jpg (86 KB, 713x713) Image search: [Google]
The ReinCARNAGEtion.jpg
86 KB, 713x713
>>
>>49861213

Yeah noise rock isn't that good, noisecore is fucking amazing but noise rock limits itself by using guitars in my opinion. Also a lot of them are assholes who like to make stupid opinions on harsh noise it's annoying like APTBS. I also remember one in a SC thread was getting on me and telling me that pure noise is boring but I listened to his stuff and it's some of the worst shit I've ever heard and was more like bad rock it had no interesting sound design it was just really disjointed and random and didn't have a single wall. Probably a young kid though but still.
>>
File: zus.jpg (524 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
zus.jpg
524 KB, 1280x1024
https://soundcloud.com/mephisto_waltz/atmospheric-beasts-bork-remix
>>
File: asuka 5.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
asuka 5.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
https://soundcloud.com/whatwinterleftbehind/brand-new-song-18

Came out with a new song today I hope you like it.
>>
more new noises
https://soundcloud.com/caincraven/im-so-fucking-angry-at-you
>>
>>49862865
What gear are you using?
>>
>>49862865
Completely uninspired shit. What is it you're even trying to do here? beyond distort a signal that is.
>>
>>49863608

I use audiomulch, pics of my gear are on the archive I'm on mobile right now.
>>
>>49863614

lol what do you even know English? noise you are that is to dawn
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
My setup for my power electronics project. R8?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>49864198
Another pic
>>
>>49864249
That should do nicely for a start.
>>
File: IMG_20140914_245900_810.jpg (853 KB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140914_245900_810.jpg
853 KB, 1836x3264
We postin our setups?

Pic related + objects and my voice
>>
>>49864385
holy shit, that's a very vertical photo u got there Anon.

got no pics but I've been overloading a few things lately into the desk, turn knobs on desk > overdriven as fuck tape, back > desk > DAW, more processing, etc
>>
>>49864385
What app is that?
>>
>>49864500
just voice memo
>>
>>49864500
not him, but it's ableton. It's what I use too.
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArC5EnHxMu0

Why is he so mad, bros?
>>
File: setup.jpg (663 KB, 1600x1196) Image search: [Google]
setup.jpg
663 KB, 1600x1196
A portion of my setup as it is right now.
>>
>>49856994
Try contacting them through facebook or bandcamp. They might have more copies to sell. Couldn't hurt to try.
>>
>>49865955
my torrent for both discs is at 40%, he went offline tho fuc
>>
>>49864881
noicee
>>
File: Justice.png (2 MB, 1425x1425) Image search: [Google]
Justice.png
2 MB, 1425x1425
>>49839648
King Rosenrot:
http://kingrosenrot.bandcamp.com/

Because he's fresh and experienced psychonaught that forged his energy to produce an organic psychedelic experience. Instead of the widely available OTC synthetic psychedelic music that is purged out with high tempo and no real understanding of a trip. Come to the enlighten side and enjoy pure organic psychedelic ambient downtempo but not boring music.
>>
>>49855284
Well, /noise/ was cool for a week. Better than expected. /noise/ is dead.
>>
>>49855284
Here your /noise/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFp7W3PoNPI
>>
File: Screenshot (40).png (512 KB, 1007x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (40).png
512 KB, 1007x768
get your fuck on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-rdkNhyoHc
>>
Any recommendations for rhythmic noise?
>>
>>49861592
>APTBS
>Noise Rock

Is there any reason /mu/ always focuses on these barely Noise Rock Post-Punk/Shoegaze hybrid bands to the detriment of actual interesting stuff like Oxbow?
>>
File: R-795551-1174417880.jpg (187 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
R-795551-1174417880.jpg
187 KB, 500x385
>>
idk what you guys are talking about early harsh noise like hijokaidan is essentially noise rock by todays standards
>>
>>49869410

If you can point out some Noise Rock that sounds like Hijokaidan, Solmania or even Incapacitants fire ahead. As my experience so far as a fan of both genres hasn't show that to be the case.
>>
>>49869456
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib7qN-0DFGw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SpNuJgw3x0
>>
File: 2767042[1].jpg (29 KB, 300x298) Image search: [Google]
2767042[1].jpg
29 KB, 300x298
currently listening to pic related

>tfw you will never record a harsh noise ep with your brother, make a skate video, then get into synths and really into chess
>>
>>49869513
>Stick Men With Ray Guns
This is really just Steel Pole Bathtub worship which isn't close to Hijokaidan or Noise at all. It's standard Noise Rock.

As for the Hijokaidan track you linked it's got more in common with Free Improvisation that it does with Noise Rock. Even from just the structure it sets a gulf between the two tracks.
>>
Which is more heinous: confusing noise and noise rock, or confusing industrial and industrial metal?
>>
>>49870836

Hidden option number 3: Confusing Dub Reggae and Dubstep.
>>
File: caponier2.jpg (85 KB, 740x493) Image search: [Google]
caponier2.jpg
85 KB, 740x493
Hi /noise/

Me and others just hosted a 1 day experimental sounds festival at an old ww2 fort in the uk yesterday.

http://fortprocess.co.uk/
some great names came from local and intenational scene. Everything went down great, lot's of secret gigs down tunnels of different sizes and shapes. the acoustics in that place are perfect for drones and noises.

>>49839899
Peter Brötzmann and Steve Noble were our headliners, he spent the whole day smoking massive cigars and insisted on playing on a different stage to the one we had spent thosands on hiring mostly for him

If anyone attended I want to thank you for help make the day so special.

Footage and recordings will be making their way on to the www very soon.
>>
reminder that you are literally listening to white noise
>>
>>49871078
Was Brotzmann as likeable in person as he seems to be in interviews?
>>
>>49871078

Great line-up for that. I've never managed to catch Duncan Harrison live but he sent me some tapes for review and they were great.

Gig reminds me of the Bloodnok Smear gig in Russia. It was in an old disused grain silo in St. Petersburg. Got it on DVD with two other gigs (one of which takes place in a flat).
>>
>>49871103
You dont know what "white noise" means & you probably thought this was a good b8 post.
>>
>>49871124
I was honestly so busy I barely got a chance to talk to him other than give him set details and answer his questions, he came across as polite but I think we were all just a bit pissed off he refused to play the main stage.

>>49871184
Yeah Duncan is a nice guy, all the tapes he used for his set were taped over projects of other people at the festival, jokes on him though because he bought one of them off me for £4 so his loss.
Never heard of that show but it looks like a lot of fun.

These guys in pic were building their piece throughout the day and performed it for an hour at 9pm they took varous field recordings from the fort and sliced them with their modular setup and generative music from them live coding puredata.
>>
>>49869047

I just put that band because I saw an interview on facebook where they were calling harsh noise boring.
>>
>>49871103
i prefer pink noise tbh
>>
>>49864881
aw nice, is that Novel with Cocaine? Good taste
>>
File: 1410073005333.png (34 KB, 1280x384) Image search: [Google]
1410073005333.png
34 KB, 1280x384
>>
>>49872765
haha yeah it is.
>>
>>49864881
Care to list your equipment?
>>
>>49864881
I have that exact same shoebox recorder.
>>
I enjoy "light" noise albums such as A Place to bury strangers, loveless, and an album from unsane. Do you think I'll enjoy harsh noise? Where do I start?
>>
>>49874501
Pictured is a Yamaha MG102c mixer, Alesis SR-16 drum machine, Behringer Ultra Metal, Behringer Reverb Mchine, Behringer Vintage Phaser, shoebox cassette recorder, macbook pro, thrift store ukelele, & Arturia Minibrute SE
>>49874518
Cheapest one I could find
>>
>>49874554
The Cherry Point - Night of the Bloody Tapes
>>
>>49874501
>>49874617
Oh shit. And of course DOD Death Metal. That ones my favorite.
>>
>>49874648
How much was the Death Metal? I only have a Digitech version, along with a Grunge, and I like them, but I'm wondering if the tr00 kvlt versions would be better.
>>
>>49842848

woah hold on - Glasgow has a Noise scene? I thought Emo and Bleep bloop where the mainstays right now?
>>
File: deathmetalsxxx_zps31d92e52.jpg (103 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
deathmetalsxxx_zps31d92e52.jpg
103 KB, 960x720
>>49874853
used on ebay for like $35-40 usd. From what I hear people prefer the dod, but the digitech isn't far behind. Then again, there are people like pic related who might disagree.

I wanna pick up a grunge if i see one.
>>
File: mucorenoise.png (460 KB, 875x599) Image search: [Google]
mucorenoise.png
460 KB, 875x599
yay or nay
>>
>>49875007
That's Vomir's set up? Nice.
>>
File: 2014-03-16 19.38.08.jpg (2 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
2014-03-16 19.38.08.jpg
2 MB, 1936x2592
I use this circuit bent monster for a lot of my harsh noise compositions. It has MIDI too so I pipe in drum patterns from Ableton and then use alligator clips to bend/destroy.
>>
>>49875023
That's some A+ Effort, B- minus results. Something feels off about that font, maybe change that, if that's not too much effort.
>>
>>49874554

you'll probably like it eventually I started out with shoegaze too.
>>
>>49875130

that's pretty cool
>>
>>49875023
I think its perfect
>>49875130
aw sick. do you have anything you've recorded with it?
>>
>>49875449
nobody respond to this
>>
>>49875469
nobody respond to this thread
>>
>>49875433
https://soundcloud.com/segment/hidden-meaning

Lots of stuff on my sc incorporates that synth
>>
>>49875023
Doesn't really grab your attention. Also too subtle.

nay
>>
>>49875007
Really? I thought it was more than that, since I guess DOD is dead and was absorbed by Digitech. I quite like my Grunge, I've been able to get some cool sounds running it into the Death Metal. And is that Vomir's set up, or just someone with a sticker or two?

Damn, I'll have to post a pic of what I'm currently using after work. Hopefully it'll still be relevant then.
>>
>>49875449
lol
>>49875023
nice, How long did this take you?
>>49869564
ooh, looks interesting. Did you enjoy it?
>>
>>49874645
>>49875361
I didn't really love it. Anything in between? Noisier then shoegaze and noise rock but more structured than harsh noise?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.