[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I autistic or are 99% of album covers just complete bullshit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 12
File: mars volta.png (263 KB, 500x506) Image search: [Google]
mars volta.png
263 KB, 500x506
Am I autistic or are 99% of album covers just complete bullshit

I just don't get it. The vast majority of album covers bear little to no relevancy to the music, don't seem to convey anything and don't even look nice. They look cheap and tacky.

I just don't understand what compels someone to do this. What am I missing and what do musicians have against an album cover that looks nice and makes some kind of sense?

I've been meaning to ask this for a long time but I feel like I'm just supposed to know these things
>>
just don't think about it so much
>>
File: hval-apocalypse-470x470.jpg (65 KB, 470x470) Image search: [Google]
hval-apocalypse-470x470.jpg
65 KB, 470x470
what did she mean by this?
>>
A lot are shit, some are good though. I don't tend to notice the quality of an album cover as much as I do the feeling it gives, I guess (unless it's one of those really shitty hip hop, prog metal, or emo ones).

I mean, probably would have a cover if they never cam in a physical format. They couldn't just have blank record sleeves/tapes/cd cases. But over time it's become a part of the music (which it shouldn't have).

Basically what this guy said>>66150640

>>66150669
I like Jenny Hval, but that is a shitty cover
>>
>>66150669
Jenny hval is so fucking weird I'm afraid to ask
>>
File: torche-restarter-art.jpg (382 KB, 950x475) Image search: [Google]
torche-restarter-art.jpg
382 KB, 950x475
>>66150691
>I like Jenny Hval, but that is a shitty cover
whats your coty 2015 photo edition?

pic related coty 2015 draw edition
>>
>>66150704
I don't know about photo's, but Monstrode by Dust Hag was probably my favorite cover of last year. If it has to be a photo, maybe GY!BE - Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress

But speaking of covers and Jenny Hval, the new thing she did with Kim Myhr has a decent cover. It's also my pick for aoty
>>
File: monstrode.jpg (91 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
monstrode.jpg
91 KB, 700x700
>>66150839
forgot pic
>>
>>66150839
>But speaking of covers and Jenny Hval, the new thing she did with Kim Myhr has a decent cover. It's also my pick for aoty
the one that doesnt come out for another 3 months?
>>
>>66150853
See maybe this stuff is over my head but I fail to see what's so special about that

What is that supposed to convey?
>>
File: AOTY2016.jpg (38 KB, 448x427) Image search: [Google]
AOTY2016.jpg
38 KB, 448x427
>>66150861
No, this one

>>66150889
I don't know, I guess it's just part of the artist's intent. I just like the aesthetic of it
>>
>>66150928
I like that one. I mean it's got a cool aesthetic to it but I can actually get inside the heat of the person who made it

Here's just another example though. An album I like with a cover that bears absolutely no relevancy to the music and makes me wonder what compelled them to use it.
>>
>>66150928
>No, this one
oh cool thanks, starting now.
>>
Most of the time it's just to grab your attention, sometimes to look cool with a nice aesthetic.
But honestly just mostly to stand out and make you want to check the music out.
>>
>>66150987
Yeah, Wowee Zowee is a bad cover, but then again, I don't like any of Pavement's covers
>>
Think it about it like this: Assuming that the bands you are listening to are actualy talented, why would someone that has presumably playing music their whole life, be capable of producing visual art as well? The process of creating the music and album art are completely different from each other. Why do you think there are no accompanying sculptures or paintings to any of the well known classical compositions, Beethoven was a musician not a painter. The only reason why album art exists in the first place, is because it is necessary for marketing purposes.
>>
>>66150990
It's good, I hope you enjoy it. I think most of it was composed by Kim Myhr, but it's a lot better than his previous album, which isn't too bad, but not great, and Jenny Hval does all the vocals
>>
>>66151010
>The only reason why album art exists in the first place, is because it is necessary for marketing purposes.
I feel like this song is intended to be heard while looking at the album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn2IjYXVmuw
>>
>>66150616
Given the subject matter and inspiration of Deloused, I'd say that cover isn't bullshit at all.
>>
>>66151010
The two can definitely overlap... lots of musicians are visual artists too

>The only reason why album art exists in the first place, is because it is necessary for marketing purposes
So maybe the answer is that it's a marketing thing and the non-commercial bands that aren't about money just don't give a shit. It still seems weirder than it needs to be though, you'd think at least a portion of them would be interested in making well designed and iconic album art
>>
>>66150616
>Am I autistic
sure seems like it
deloused has a good cover
>>
File: soldiers under command_large.jpg (112 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
soldiers under command_large.jpg
112 KB, 300x300
Youre just listening to the wrong kinda music man. This cover exemplifies the music contained perfectly.
>>
This is a god-tier album cover. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>66151146
No argument. I bought the vinyl just so I could look at it all the time
>>
>>66151178
Not using the priest cover should be punishable by stoning
>>
>>66151090

It's entirely possible that this is the case. That the album art is merely something that you tack on at the end because you need a pretty picture to sell your record. But that would be ignoring the overall affect that the album art has on your perception of the music. I dunno bout y'all but when I see certain album art, an idea is planted in my head of what that music probably sounds like. So there must be some degree of intention that goes into creating album art. But that doesn't really answer you question. There are so (way too) many albums with just some dude smiling at the camera and a guitar or whatever sitting in their lap, do they all sound the same? What would the album op posted sound like if it was a green head in a living room.
>>
>>66150616
idk, there are a lot of good covers, unknown pleasures, dark side of the moon, vu&n. i guess it depends what music you like, because some genres have more aesthetically pleasing/meaningful album covers
>>
>>66151298
Not OP (just for clarification) but I don't feel that DSOTM or even TVU&N are good covers, yea they're great pieces of artwork, but I don't feel like they represent the music very well which is what I feel is most important for an album cover. DSOTM's cover would have been better suited to the spacer sounds of WYWH as opposed to the more grounded music on its own album imo.
>>
>>66151338
yeah youre right, those two hardly represent the music, im a little high i think i misinterpreted what he was trying to say
>>
>>66150691
>(which it shouldn't have).
why? covers are great. OP is just autistic
>>
File: contrastic_2000.jpg (75 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
contrastic_2000.jpg
75 KB, 620x620
Just a reminder that this is actually a death metal album cover.

That is all.

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/contrastic/contrastic/
>>
>>66151218
>What would the album op posted sound like if it was a green head in a living room.
the OP pic makes me think the album would be about spiritual experiences/drugs (the feeling of them), stuff like that.
>>
>>66151501
it is kind of about drugs
>>
>>66151466
not even the weirdest czech grindcore album
>>
>>66151010
I was under the impression that bands, more often than not, ask someone else to make the cover for them?
>>
File: MyBeautifulDarkTwistedFantasy.jpg (459 KB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
MyBeautifulDarkTwistedFantasy.jpg
459 KB, 3000x3000
>>66151146
Alt cover is better
>>
>>66150616
>Am I autistic
Yes
>>
>>66154199
/thread
>>
File: d.png (142 KB, 660x249) Image search: [Google]
d.png
142 KB, 660x249
>>66150616
>>
>>66151090
death grips for example are all visual artists, and most of their covers are good
>>
>>66150616
Just because of this thread I'm going to make my serious album have a cheap and tacky album cover
It's part of the concept though so no critism allowed, okay
>>
>>66150669
I love labels with consistency in their album cover design, I wish more would do it.

Sub Pop's singles were a great example of this as well

>>66154305
just use some random picture and don't put any text on it like all the hip kids are doing these days
>>
File: Death-Grips-Exmilitary.jpg (539 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Death-Grips-Exmilitary.jpg
539 KB, 1200x1200
>>66154277
Case in point.
>>
>>66154408
>just use some random picture and don't put any text on it like all the hip kids are doing these days
I'll do exactly not that

Seriously you hit the nail on the head of exactly what I don't want.
>>
>>66154463
matches the music
the "Exmilitary" font is cringey for me, but I guess it's supposed to emulate classic hip hop?
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.