[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recommend me J-Rock/Alt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 51UOZWpVaqL.jpg (107 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
51UOZWpVaqL.jpg
107 KB, 640x640
Hi, /mu/!

Tonight I discovered (thanks to you guys) this band called Mass of the Fermenting Dregs, and I really fucking love their work (I've already made this EP my computer background).

I don't really know where to find similar bands to them and don't know where to start, and not knowing any Japanese kinda makes it hard to find similar bands.

So that's why I've come to you guys to help me find some more good J-Rock/Alt.

If you are unfamiliar with the band I mentioned, I'd highly recommend listening to their EP, ワールドイズユアーズ (World Is Yours): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4CKmzBf5Cs
>>
Kinoko Teikoku is my favorite.
>>
>>66200530
Shit man I know jack about J Rock but I've listened to this band before. Boris is a favorite, maybe listen to Heavy Rocks (they have two albums named like that, go for the one released on 2002) or Pink, since it's what gets closer to standard Rock in their discography.
Recently I've listening to toe, really good Math Rock band, but I'm not very experienced with their discography yet so I have nothing in particular to recommend, but definitely check them out.
Everything else I know of is rather different to what you seem to be looking for, but I'll give you names just in case.
Uchu Conbini, also Math Rock with female vocals, recently disbanded. Released a single album in 2013, which I like a lot, and two EPs which I don't.
Ling Tosite Sigure, they play very energic Post-Hardcore and Alt Rock. The vocals might take some time getting used to. "Still a Sigure Virgin?" is my favorite of theirs.
Dir en Grey, an Alt Metal band with Visual Kei roots. I don't like their earlier albums. "Uroboros" and "Arche" are top-notch.
Soutaseiriron, this one is pretty much Indie Pop and it's so sugary that it's going to give you diabetes. I think lately they have been taking the Rock avenue, but I haven't listened to them in a while so I don't really know.

Others: Spangle Call Lilli Line (Indie Rock/Pop with some Downtempo), Sai Yoshiko (Folk Rock from the 70s).
>>
>>66200964
well what can I say, posts like this motivate me a bit

a popular name is L'arc en Ciel if you're interested of what may come from fusion of britpop and j-rock. preferably listen to Tierra or ark to see where most of their output goes to. if you're not too critical of music you'll probably enjoy them. without becoming a fan anyway

Midori is an essential japanese art punk act here at /mu/, I like them too and it's very well regarded by anyone who acknowledge them.

another important AND great band talked here is Fishmans if you like psych and reggae (and if you don't, still give them a try). More specifically 98.12.28 Otokotachi no Wakare (a 9.5/10) and Long Season

oh and most bands involved in "/mu/ approved" anime OSTs like The Seatbelts in Cowboy Bebop and The Pillows in FLCL

and...
something not talked about in /mu/? X JAPAN is a personal pick of mine; first(?) visual kei band ever.
check out ART OF LIFE, it's a 30-min long symphonic prog metal epic about the losing of one's love, it may get to you... or maybe not, if you're too post-edgy for metal-related stuff. it's still a great work imo

good luck ope
>>
>>66200530
saw them live in toronto last month. killer show
>>
Thanks for the replies, I'll have to check them out after I sleep.
>>
>>66200530
"Number Girl" is a pretty good one. A lot of the other bands reccommended here draw influence from them.
>>
marmalade butcher
>>
File: japan music chart.png (2 MB, 2313x1600) Image search: [Google]
japan music chart.png
2 MB, 2313x1600
>>66200530
>>
>>66200530
Mass of the Fermenting dregs was my entry point to shoegaze music. Definitely check out Kinoko Teikoku (eureka and uzi ni naru are their good albums) and the genre as a whole (look for /shugazi/ threads here); although the two bands mentioned are a bit different to the genre as a whole.
>>
i really wish we had a recommendation thread, so i don't have to make a whole new thread and to not shit up this thread
>>
NUMBER GIRL is probably the most important band of the late 90s/early 2000s in the japanese scene, and they are a huge influence on MotFD. All four of their records are classics.

Coaltar of the Deepers is one of the most prolific and inventive shoegaze japanese bands, give them a listen too.

/mu/'s favorite japanese band Boris made some great shoegaze inspired records in their late 2000/early 2010's

avoid non-FLCL pillows and Asian King Fu Generation like the plague
>>
>>66203680
Then this can also be a japanese music general.
>>
Boredoms - vision creation newsun, also super æ if you like that

Gesu no Kiwami otome are more Normie-core but still funky as heck
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.