[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Led Zeppelin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: Led-Zeppelin.jpg (231 KB, 1111x754) Image search: [Google]
Led-Zeppelin.jpg
231 KB, 1111x754
Why is there so much hate for Zeppelin here?

They blended a bunch of different genres into blues rock (in a good way), including prog, R&B, and were one of the first big names in heavy metal.

Seriously, can you even name one bad Zeppelin song? Is there a single song they do that doesn't have at least one redeeming quality?
>>
>>66086307
Hot Dog
>>
File: 1035x795-458901526.jpg (89 KB, 1035x795) Image search: [Google]
1035x795-458901526.jpg
89 KB, 1035x795
Now by popular demand! A list of some of the songs Zep stole from other artists:
"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
"Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
"Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
"Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
"Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
"Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
"Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
"How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
"In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
"The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
"Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
"Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
"Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
"Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
"White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."
"Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues You Need Love.
>>
>>66086477
no such thing as plagiarism in blues
>>
>>66086307
I think it's just the kind of band that could become a huge meme if people didn't undersell it often
>>
File: 1465760531788.png (88 KB, 253x253) Image search: [Google]
1465760531788.png
88 KB, 253x253
>>66086307
Because /mu/ takes "rockism" seriously.
>>
File: 41X52ZPCVAL.jpg (25 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
41X52ZPCVAL.jpg
25 KB, 300x300
Jimmy Page's solos are fucking sloppy.

>The Darkness is a much better band. Better solos, better song structures and they do "cock rock" a million times better.
>>
>>66086307
Plagiarism, influenced all the cockrock etc.
Most people can't deny their energy, musicianship and Plant's vocals are very special though.
>>
>>66086581
But saying you wrote the music and lyrics if false
>>
>>66086581
Because all the original blues players were black and this was in an era where blacks hardly had any rights
>>
>>66086477
You're forgetting the immigrant song and the song from Lucifer's friend
>>
>>66086307
Fool In The Rain. I hate that song so goddamn much. I think Trampled Underfoot and The Wanton Song are their best.
>>
>>66086637
Is it bad if I agree? I think The Who, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Rush, and Queen are far superior to Zeppelin. Even the fuckin Darkness 30 years after the fact had better songs.
>>
>>66086637
>Jimmy Page's solos are fucking sloppy.
Hendrix sounds pretty sloppy, but I think it's part of his style and his appeal.

I like Led Zeppelin, but I don't think I'll ever dig deeper than their greatest hits CDs.
>>
>>66086637
I mean yeah, even Page himself has said he hates his past recordings. Even so, they're still a lot better than the average player was at the time, plus they still fit well with the song. It doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to vibe well. And it did.
>>
>>66086307
"contrarianism" is a sloppy word but in general /mu/ tends to say more bad things about a given artist if /mu/ is the only place where anybody is willing to say bad things about them

I like them alright, their mix of folk and blues is interesting to me but they have a lot of material that doesn't live up to their potential
>>
>>66087205
IV is basically a greatest hits but it has a cohesive album structure and it's short, so it's worth a go
>>
Led Zeppelin stole a lot of their stuff, but their albums are still fucking amazing and I like them a lot as a band.

the way the songs are recorded and the way the albums are structured give everything so much atmosphere and depth. They not only had the blues and stadium rock sound, but so much of their discography is gorgeous and incredibly moving acoustic balladry (which is the reason I love them so much). If I go to the mountains, I will always put on Led Zeppelin's rural acoustic side because it fits the atmosphere so well.

I got into them as a kid for their rock n roll, but as I got older and listened to more of their discography I heard a depth in their sound that is probably why I am as into music as I am now. I will always love Led Zeppelin for that reason
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.