[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does pretension actually foster and help grow online communities
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: questionformu.png (304 KB, 722x768) Image search: [Google]
questionformu.png
304 KB, 722x768
Does pretension actually foster and help grow online communities like /mu/ and rym or does not calling out people keep a nice balance?
>>
>>66045867
It's kind of obvious when people haven't really delved into the music scene much and calling them out on that to help them grow more is important for growing. It becomes cancerous when people assume they are always in the right which happens often on here. There needs to be some type of healthy balance I would think.
>>
When I started lurking, the pretentious culture kind of drove me to play this huge game of catch-up with all the music posted on here. Ultimately, it led to me expanding my taste and listening to much much more music than I would have before, so it's pretty cool. Plus, /mu/ must be doing something right, because I cannot stand the taste of any other community
>>
I think a lot of people at least here, have an unjust pretension to most pop and hip hop, given that they haven't tried it. There's a lot of unjust hate and people often forget the music is extremely subjective. And here while I think it's okay to like obscure artists I think most of the community has a really poor balance of taste. They all have this assumption that people who enjoy pop most of the time don't have any musical say or merit.

It just becuase irritating becuase for a music community and for people to consider themselves music hobbyists people are really close minded. While I get people have their taste and opinions at the end of the day; you can say you like X artist, then someone will give you shit for it, and when you try and open a discourse with them about why they disagree they say "haha it's tumblr core" or something along those lines never giving a just reason.

There's a lot of egos around here and people trying to fill their hipster punch cards. While I myself and pretentious I feel like people on here are pretentious for the sake of creating an image or pleasing the hivemind.
>>
>>66047085
literally this
>>
All of the above is well said. I now have a better appreciation for /mu/'s cancer.
>>
>>66047085
Yeah I did the same thing. It's what makes /mu/ good.
>>
File: tE6tGIN.jpg (92 KB, 533x667) Image search: [Google]
tE6tGIN.jpg
92 KB, 533x667
>>66045924
It would be nice to find more music on /mu/ but thanks to the hispter crowd I can only discover about 10% of the entire market. Never seen a country post, never seen a happy hardcore post, never seen a smooth jazz or rhythm and blues post, but hey I know theres an album/group called neutral milk hotel and kanye west so I guess that covers every base on history.

Not to say /mu/ is up its own ass, just saying maybe talking about the same 3 genres and the same 3 albums might not be healthy for growth.

>inb4 hey check out this ambient industrial simpsonwave chillgroove grimes album feat thom yorke and tyler the creator
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.