[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I find the motivation to practice my instrument? I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1460657891917.gif (852 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1460657891917.gif
852 KB, 500x500
How do I find the motivation to practice my instrument? I have very minimal knowledge on music theory, and I've never played anything before, but I really wanted to learn so I got a bass, but I never practiced for the past year because I kept making excuses to myself, like being too busy with school and work, but now I feel that if I don't get back into it I'll never learn and I'll regret it for the rest of my life. I know it's not the instrument because I've always been drawn towards bass, even more than guitar or anything, but I get so scared whenever I pick it up and I give up right away. Did I make the right choice, how do I discipline myself to just focus and learn?
>>
im in the same boat except with guitar
>>
>>66020293
Start a band,
Its really going to be fun, you get to play with others. But for just starting out I suggest watching some youtube tip videos on your instrument, then finding whatever you enjoy listening to and try learning that, like if you like say the smiths or something try learning one of their songs. Me personally I like learning full albums, so I just find a full tab online, and slowly play through that.

And the band, well once you have a band its really fun just playing whatever together, and not taking it so seriously, but i really like having this because you can write songs together, and to me thats really what learning an instrument is all about.
>>
>>66020293
Focus on the end goal, not the means.

Do you want to write songs? Then write songs. Either with that instrument or another one or whatever. Practice will naturally come out of that.

Do you want to play in a band? Then find a band, and you'll (hopefully) be motivated enough to practice so you won't look like a fool compared to the rest of the band.

If you don't want to do either of those things then idk
>>
>>66020293
If you don't have a teacher you should consider getting a teacher. You'll get structure, some knowledge of theory, and you will probably feel more compelled to practice.
>>
>>66020293

Listen to as many different genres and songs as you can and play along as much as you can, even if it sounds horrible you'll familiarize yourself with the basics/interaction of the instrument. It's all intimidating, but keeping in mind that all musicians are people sort of makes it all a little less so. Idk just try to have fun, I've been playing ~10 years and I still suck, but doing it all for myself brings me a little happiness

Good luck!
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.