[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /mu/, Christmas-time is just around the corner again, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 4 '33.jpg (300 KB, 600x382) Image search: [Google]
4 '33.jpg
300 KB, 600x382
So /mu/, Christmas-time is just around the corner again, and we all know what Christmas is about: Getting cool shit.
I propose that instead of just posting memes on Christmas, we should actually do something for each other to show our appreciation.

And what better way to show your appreciation to fellow /mu/tants than a personal mixtape? There's really no better gift.
The mixtape is a great because you don't need any musical ability or instruments to make one, and it'll probably be the best gift you'll end up giving out this year.

Now I know that people are going to be resistant to this because cassette tapes are outdated for music listening. I totally agree with this, I've never bought a single cassette release in my life. I see no point. They're clunky and look cheap, people who buy them are just doing so because nostalgia.
But the true appeal of cassette tapes lies in their recordability. They're the best out of all the formats for personal recording. Nothing beats em. Buying the proper supplies for few dollars will open you up to a world of audio recording that you can play with forever, without even knowing an instrument.

People will pay $300 for a Macintosh Plus or Death Grips tape, which is an ABSOLUTE scam. They're digital rips anyways, so you can just record your own tape with that music COMPLETELY FREE. That's exactly why cassettes are so great, you can bootleg your own albums for personal use or to gift.

So here's the plan:
If you make a tape, you will receive a tape from a fellow anon. That means you MUST make a mixtape if you want to participate.
All you need to do is send your name and country to the email at the bottom, and include a list things you'd like on your tape. Here's an example:

Crappy Elfenstein
666 N. Euclid Drive

Beach Boys
Daft Punk
Steely Dan
Driving music
Very 80s

[email protected]

Sign-up ends on November 28
Mixtapes must be finished and sent on December 21st
>>
File: 4 '34.jpg (283 KB, 2012x1249) Image search: [Google]
4 '34.jpg
283 KB, 2012x1249
Things you'll need:
1. Cassette deck
You can likely find one at your nearest goodwill or Craigslist for very cheap. I found one for $20 dollars that I'm using (works amazingly), and you can find one for $20-30 on Craigslist.
2. Blank cassette tapes
Also fairly cheap. 60-90 minute cassettes are ideal for this, here's what I typically buy
http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-UR-60-Blank-Audio-Cassette/dp/B000087NBV
3. Music playing device + Aux cord and Aux to 1/8 inch male
You can plug your iPod into a cassette deck and record anything you want. Hell, you can make a cassette tape filled with K-mart music from your smartphone if you really wanted. The possibilities are endless.

Here's a depiction of my set-up for better understanding. Get creative with it. By the way, I only use the smartphone for recordings I can't get anywhere else. This isn't about digital vs analog, it's about embracing all forms technology.
>>
>>60467678
>>60467720
this is a great idea, but NOBODY will put their address.
>>
Rules:
1. No troll tapes. That is, don't send a tape with absolute silence or a constant waveform. Make sure it's listenable. That doesn't mean don't get interesting with it.
2. Try to fill up the entire tape, A side and B side.
3. Feel free to put your own music on it, but don't over-do it. 1 or 2 songs should be enough.
4. You can deviate away from the anon's preference who you will be partnered with, but you must be sure that they will still want to listen to it, judging from their tastes.
5. Fuck copyright
6. Give it a title and make a label
7. Bonus points for really really out-there, creative tapes.
>>
>>60467785
Well, I wouldn't want their address, that's a bit intrusive. What I'm planning to do is pair 2 people together based on what they want on the tape and their country. Then the 2 anons can just email each other their addresses.
>>
>>60467845
still risky
>>
I really want to participate in this, but there has to be a better way to do the physical delivery. No one is gonna buy a PO box just for a tape.
>>
>>60467871
>>60467951
I heard that there was a tape trade around January this year...
Did they do the delivery system differently than this? How'd they organize that part of it? The privacy of anons is important to me for this project, I'd keep everything private.
>>
>>60468046
hmmmm, maybe the two exchangers could have the tapes sent to each others post offices? i think that would work because then you also don't have to use your real name.
>>
>>60468203
Good idea. I'll be making this thread a few times this week, so I'll tweek some of the ideas around.
I'll probably change the name thing so you can send a fake name or no name. No real name.
And it seems like the only way to make this absolutely possible is for anons to open up PO boxes if they don't already have them. I might add that in, but there HAS to be an alternative to that.
>>
/a/ has been doing a secret santa/christmas card exchange for years and there have never been any major issues. /toy/ also has a buy sell trade, also mostly without issue. I wouldn't worry too much about the addresses.
>>
>>60468677
That's relieving. I've been posting here for many years, I honestly consider you guys my good friends. If any anon fucked over another anon (i don't even know how they could), I'd be pissed off.
If I receive these addresses they will be COMPLETELY private, I will only share them with whoever the anon is partnered with. If anyone is actually worried that I'll come to their houses to rape their dog I'll send my address too as a security measure.
I really don't know what anyone is expecting to happen by giving me their address for this.
>>
>>60468752
Yeah, from my experience most Anon's who are willing to put time and effort into something like this are legit. I completed dozens of trades/transactions on /toy/ and have never had an issue.
>>
>>60468810
Thanks for bringing this up, I'll make another thread tomorrow with this in mind. I'll give my name and address to anyone who wants to sign up, and we can exchange emails if they have any sort of reservations.
I haven't gotten any sign-ups yet, we'll see how it looks by the 28th
>>
>>60468810
I just hope that people are willing to actually do this, it'll be good for the board. People are willing to give their name/address to every single online service they use, but because this isn't an online service people are hesitant.
I'll be disappointed if it doesn't follow through because people are more willing to give info to businesses rather than anons who actually appreciate their existence.
>>
>>60467678

i hope this works out
this would restore my faith in /mu/
>>
2 Sign-ups so far! It's officially on!

Thanks for signing up anons, i'll send out emails tomorrow and get a dialogue going.

Anyone else thinking about signing up, all you need to do is send an email to [email protected]

It's preferred you give your name and country, but if you're hesitant, just send an email and we can talk.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.