[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
On Hipsterism and Musical Discovery
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 10
ITT: The reason why /mu/ berates people for listening to /mu/core is because all internet music boards are born out of elitist hipsterism.

People like this are obsessed and hellbent on achieving a feeling in which they're listening to music in which very few or nobody else is listening to. They get off to this sense of ascended musical discovery.

'Entry-level' hipsters believe this ascended level is the thing we call /mu/core, but because people on /mu/ treat /mu/core like 'entry-level' hipsters treat radio pop, many of it's members are in a race to find the most obscure music which they happen to like. Meanwhile, they listen to any /mu/core plagued with bias from their sense of ascension, and evaluate the albums as negatively as possible.

/mu/core was born out of a collective sense of praise and acclaim on this board. Maybe there are a few you dislike, as is natural. But stop forcing and feigning dislike for these great albums because of some aimless quest to have the most original looking music library.

In general, a combination of proficient and consistent musical discovery and positive evaluation of the music you come across will accumulate in the maximal state of musical enjoyment.

Agree?
>>
You know, I really wanted to respond with a clever shitpost, but I actually do kind of agree with this. nu /mu/ is a weird place.
>>
I agree.
>>
File: confused zizek.png (142 KB, 219x244) Image search: [Google]
confused zizek.png
142 KB, 219x244
>>66028266
>being this insecure about what someone thinks of the music you like on a Malaysian finger-painting board
nah but, hating people for liking /mu/core is pretty not cool, by definition of being an individual with an opinion, you are yourself entitled to like things that others do not, and others are entitled to dislike things that you like vice versa ect ect.
Given that most of the albums in /mu/core are considered 'classics' by the majority of both intelligent and popular criticism, they really are a 'starting point' for which people should jump off from though. This was the original intent of /mu/core, by listening to a portion of the albums considered /mu/core you bring yourself up to speed with the (popular) music canon of the last 50 or so years, ready to explore some of the more challenging stuff. You don't even have to like the albums there, it's really just a primer.
I do still agree with the assertion though that a lot of people listen to weird and esoteric music to appear elevated above your garden variety /mu/tant though. Still, if a person genuinely likes this music than they are entitled to their opinion, what they are not entitled to do is judge other people based upon a perceived difference in the authenticity of a given person's taste
tl;dr, you do you
>>
>>66028266

I just like music and want to talk about it with people that also like music. I do hear some new stuff through this board too. That's been cool.
>>
File: 1466723548051.jpg (64 KB, 720x552) Image search: [Google]
1466723548051.jpg
64 KB, 720x552
I really enjoy majority of "/mu/core". The only ones I dislike to a pretty high degree are related to Kanye West and American Football.
>>
>>66028507
did anyone else read this in his voice?
>>
>>66028593
*sniffs*
>>
>>66028266
Except this is nonsensical, there's no music "discovery" at all anymore.
>>
File: american football.jpg (16 KB, 496x359) Image search: [Google]
american football.jpg
16 KB, 496x359
>>66028565
what is wrong with American Football?
>>
>>66028618
OBSCENE MUSICAL IDEOLOGY
>>
>>66028507
>nah but, hating people for liking /mu/core is pretty not cool, by definition of being an individual with an opinion, you are yourself entitled to like things that others do not, and others are entitled to dislike things that you like vice versa ect ect.

agree entirely

>Given that most of the albums in /mu/core are considered 'classics' by the majority of both intelligent and popular criticism, they really are a 'starting point' for which people should jump off from though. This was the original intent of /mu/core, by listening to a portion of the albums considered /mu/core you bring yourself up to speed with the (popular) music canon of the last 50 or so years, ready to explore some of the more challenging stuff. You don't even have to like the albums there, it's really just a primer.

Agree. I think the elitism comes in because people assume that 'starting points' are by definition of lesser quality or attract to a lesser standard of evaluater than the 'beyond the starting point' and 'challenging' music. Which is the kind of warped elitism that is idiotic on the board. I agree with the /mu/ sentiment that one should not only stick to /mu/ and never discover. As I said, consistent musical discovery is one half of maximal music enjoyment. But, people have confused that with the quality of the /mu/core 'starting points', and unfairly criticise them because of it. I don't want to make some hypocritical statement that everyone should like /mu/core, that would be ridiculous, but I am very skeptical about the way some people are evaluating /mu/core and it seems to me to be unfair.
>>
>>66028705
I enjoyed the math-rock instrumentals but the lyrics were very bad and I just couldn't do it.
>>
>>66028666
I think you've misunderstood what I meant by 'musical discovery'.

Simply, all I mean by this is whenever you listen to a new album, or find a new album/band to listen to. I mean it on a personal level. If someone has never heard of ITAOTS, then they find it on the internet, that is discovery. That is all I meant.
>>
>>66028266
I think this is true to a certain point, especially for newer users. However, I feel like the constant circlejerking of the same 10~ albums gets tiring over time, and I just wish people would expand their tastes. Yeah, I like NMH, Radiohead, AnCo, etc. but could we talk about something else for once? All these threads people continually post the same albums then gloat about how 'patrishun' they are. When you try to post about albums that are not the norm you get few responses or are accused of being a tryhard or whatever.
I think your initial point is true for the majority though, as most people want to be dicks and berate others. I just get tired of the same stuff over and over. I guess there must be a big rotation of users for this board though, with a constant influx of new people. Who knows.
>>
>>66028507
I always thought /mu/-core was more of a list of "hey, these are a couple of albums that are discussed a lot in here, so you better listen to them to get the references and memes"
>>
>>66028266
I think another thing that may add to this sort of elitist hipsterism is a feeling that people don't appreciate something as much as you do.

I used to hate ITAOTS because well it was /mu/core, and I was a fucking idiot. However I listened to it again recently, and it sort of clicked. I just couldn't handle it. I listened 5 times in a row and was freaking out. I appreciate it now I think it is a masterpiece.

However this was a long ass process for me, and I did have to put in a lot of work to get there. Considering this is an album that almost everybody likes I highly doubt everybody who calls it a masterpiece has really had their own moment similar to this.

I understand it probably sounds really childish to complain that somebody doesn't like something as much as you do. However we kind of live in a world now where everybody wants to be associated with different groups, and a lot of /mu/core kind of fits into this category of stuff you say you like when in reality that's as deep as you have gone which can feel almost like the person is lying to you or something.

Sorry about the gay ass shit I wrote above.
>>
man this is maybe the most articulate and correct thread I've ever seen on this board
>>
>>66028507
>I do still agree with the assertion though that a lot of people listen to weird and esoteric music to appear elevated above your garden variety /mu/tant though. Still, if a person genuinely likes this music than they are entitled to their opinion, what they are not entitled to do is judge other people based upon a perceived difference in the authenticity of a given person's taste
tl;dr, you do you

Ultimately I will always agree with this. If someone genuinely GENUINELY hates all of /mu/core then, well there you go. This is all born from a skepticism I, and I think other have on people's evaluations of /mu/core on this board. Namely, that it is overly-harsh and overly-criticised.
>>
File: hipster victory.jpg (2 MB, 1500x3102) Image search: [Google]
hipster victory.jpg
2 MB, 1500x3102
>>66028758
nope, look at the top and bottom of the chart
>>
>>66028565
I think those two are commonly the least favourites. Any ideas why these seem the most popularly disliked?
>>
teenagers
>>
when I came to this board as a musical ignorant, /mu/-core introduced me to records that are now some of my all-time favorites, mainly Remain in Light and Untrue. However, I did not post here until I expanded my taste. The problem is new posters who listen to a few of /mu/-core and suddenly think they are elevated, or the ones who shit on everything that is frequently posted here just for the sake of being contrarian hipsters
>>
>>66028822
I just don't like ANYTHING Kanye has ever put out, I mean I think he could do some cool stuff with criticism on pop culture but I just don't give a fuck about him at all, his music doesn't click with me as anything special, and I don't like his voice.
>>
>>66028822
well, Kanye is controversial, and anything that is more pop-oriented is prone to more criticism. And American Football is emo, a genre people love to shit on
>>
>>66028756
> However, I feel like the constant circlejerking of the same 10~ albums gets tiring over time, and I just wish people would expand their tastes.

I actually don't think this is as much of a problem as it may seem. It's not that everybody on the board is jerking off over the same ten albums, it just appears that way when you look at it on an aggregate level. Other than the completely new people, most peoples top 10 albums may only have two or three /mu/core albums at most. Pretty much all the /mu/core albums are critically acclaimed to some extent, so It's not that surprising that most people will end up really liking at least a few of them, nor is indicative of people just parroting the hive minds taste necessarily. Some might like ITAOTS and Hospice, others might like The Money Store and Loveless. It's not that everyone is talking about all of them, they just discuss the ones they specifically like and when you average them out those are the ten or that get discussed the most.
>>
>>66028823
Nice contribution, care to flesh it out?
>>
>>66028785
>Ultimately I will always agree with this. If someone genuinely GENUINELY hates all of /mu/core then, well there you go. This is all born from a skepticism I, and I think other have on people's evaluations of /mu/core on this board. Namely, that it is overly-harsh and overly-criticised.
I find it hard to believe that there will be absolutely nothing on the chart that a person will find value in, given the sheer variety of what's on offer
still, nothing is sacred or perfect
this is probably the best thread on the board for quite some time, at least 2 years
>>
>>66028756
I respect this idea. It is irritating for a regular /mu/ user to see people new to /mu/ making threads about things that have been talked about for years.

Generally, with these people they are one of three types of people:
1. They are generally new people to /mu/, they don't fully understand the amount the albums have been talked about, they aren't trying to be annoying, and they're just looking for a place to talk about this album with people. Now, this is 4chan, so the hostility to people like this is expected. My advice to these people would be to admit they are a "newfag" immediately, and follow by asking for recommendations for albums similar to whatever /mu/core they just fell in love with.

2. They're trolls who are trying to irritate and bait /mu/. There's not much to say about these people? Annoying kids/teenagers usually, but an anonymous free-to-use board is always going to have it's pros and cons. And they're obviously a con.

3. They're using /mu/core albums because it's an album that is known by most. And they're making a joke using the shared knowledge of the album. I understand that /mu/ is a place for comedy as well as musical discussion, so this is fine too.
>>
desu, I like pretty much every /mu/core album. Obviously that's not the extent of my taste and I branch out into other specific directions, but like shit there's a reason they're so frequently discussed. They're pretty damn good albums.
>>
It's about learning not to get tired of albums for the wrong reasons.

>Hurr it's on image guides
>People recommend it
>Some people start their intro to the genre with it

Yep, enough reason to hate it
>>
>>66028769

I agree for the most part with what you said.

>when in reality that's as deep as you have gone which fan feel almost like the person is lying to you or something

Agree.

If i've understood you correctly, this sentiment is why I stress music discovery in my OP. I think people who have only listened to /mu/core then come on /mu/ and try and tell everyone that it's amazing and if they dislike it they're an idiot, well, these people are stupid.

Someone who has only listened to /mu/ should realise that in 5 months time when they have listened to 500 more albums, perhaps they will feel differently about, say, ITAOTS.

This is a slightly different criticism than my OP I think. But I think this is a justifiable criticism against people who flood /mu/ with threads praising /mu/core.
>>
>>66028930
Thanks for the thread compliment. I just wanted a little break from constant hostility threads about the same albums over and over.

There's only so many times you can read "haha Loveless sucks pleb" or something similar before you feel like a change.
>>
>>66029119
Yeah I think that is a big part of it.

When I first heard ITAOTS it was just some folk album which tried to be disturbing, but as I discovered more music and got pretty deep into psychedelic music I came to realize that it is an amazing blend of folk and psychedelic music.
>>
>>66028769
I find your story about ITAOTS interesting too. I have, many times, especially in my teen years, forced myself to hate stuff.

And I gained nothing. All I was doing was shielding myself from music I would otherwise be enjoying. It's an utterly illogical and pointless activity.

Sometimes, on this board, it feels like I have regressed into my teen years. Looking around and constantly seeing people hating what's popular as much as possible.

/mu/ has a lot of great stuff and i've been shown a lot of great music through it. This thread was really to just openly discuss a part of it I find quite shitty.
>>
I just like to shit on other people's opinions. Fuck you OP. Kill yourself.
>>
>>66029206
Honestly I did that pretty much until I took acid. Really changed my life man kind of like a wash for my soul.
>>
>>66029294
I respect that 4chan will always have people who want to incite hostility. Of course i'm a regular user of 4chan, I don't have a problem with this.

OP was not saying "pls be nice 100% of the time from now on guys"
>>
>>66029206
I also feel like it can go both ways kind of. I used to like stuff just to get my cred up even though I didn't really like it.

Which I guess is what I was trying to get at with what I said.
>>
Absolutely. I recently went through something like that. I know /mu/'s love for Can, and I thought Ege Bamyasi was pretty good, but tried especially hard to love it, listening to it like 4 times in a row. After a while, I was like "why am I doing this? I'm just going to return to it when I feel like it and let any change of opinion come naturally"

It is honestly a liberating feeling when you stop caring about what people say regarding your opinion.
>>
>>66029394
OP is a faggot for not understanding that only morons take any of this shit seriously. Of course /mu/core has great albums but we'll shit on it anyway, for the lulz.
>>
>>66029513
Not everyone who shits on /mu/core is a troll. I've used 4chan for years, I can tell an obvious troll, from a subtle troll, to someone who genuinely is just hating as much as possible.

No, I can't tell it with 100% efficiency lol, nobody can. But you get used to the implied tone and wording of posters.
>>
>>66029492
>being this much of a pleb
Seriously, just stick a knife into your eardrums.
>>
>>66029513
This isn't /b/ though we aren't all here for the lulz. There are a good number of boards where epic memes aren't the only reason to go there.
>>
>>66029580
This.
>>
>>66029571
>>66029580
Yep, it's summer alright.
>>
>>66029606
Case and point your post.
>>
>>66029580
This.

Also, even if /mu/core is entry level stuff, that doesn't mean it's all bad or mediocre.

>>66029606
I've been visiting this board for 5+ years, and the one who's acting like a newfag is you, moron.
>>
>>66029606
boring repetitive summer shitpost is boring.
>>
>>66029580
You can use /mu/ to check out albums you haven't heard and give fuck all about anyone's opinion on anything, especially shit you already know. Getting salty because of opinions is as autistic ad it gets.
>>
>>66029606
You bought it with you
>>
>>66029637
So I am autistic because I don't ignore what other people around me say....hmmmm idk if you know what autism is there buddy.
>>
>>66029630
>5+ years
By now, you should be listening exclusively to white noise, filtered through a Shermann, going through a Leslie. If not, you're an entry level pleb who will die a pleb.

Also, the last two years have been a downward spiral in this board's history thanks to faggots like you.
>>
>>66029637
Who is getting salty over opinions?
>>
>>66029703
>>66029681
>>66029664
>>66029634
>>66029630
>>66029580
>>66029571
Why I say /mu/ has become as cancerous as reddit.
>>
>>66029698
Sure, salt-man. Teh quality of the board has gone downwards because I encourage serious discussion.

I'm actually listening to Colin Stetson at the moment, and you?
>>
>>66029698
>>66029606

I just don't get people like you. You complain about /mu/ but you're the one who came into this thread and devolved it into idiocy.

Now it's just baiting and telling people to fuck off and pleb and etc etc. If this is all /mu/ was, then it would literally just be /b/ with pictures of albums. But that's never all /mu/ has ever been about.

I'm not anti-trolling, i've trolled myself, i'm sure every 4chan user has. But not being able to have a single serious thread without it devolving into this is kinda shitty.
>>
File: 1420946326363.jpg (53 KB, 445x400) Image search: [Google]
1420946326363.jpg
53 KB, 445x400
>>66029759
>people are calling me out for acting like half wit?
>y-your all from reddit
step it up
>>
>>66029764
>2016
>listening to tonal music

LOL kill yourself, faggot. I mainly listen to ambient sounds I record myself using a Royer SF-12.
>>
>>66029785
*I do get people like you. You're just annoying lol.
>>
Knock knock

Its me goku
>>
>>66029832
oh yay, the 4 year olds have arrived.

rip thread.
>>
>>66029823
this brings me back
>>
>>66029803
/mu/ used to be a place where we all obviously had a personal, in depth relationship with music, not a place where faggots try to reach a consensus and give their shitty opinions. Now it's just a bunch of faggots with posts that are literally indistinguishable from reddit posts.
>>
>>66029870
Literally no one wants a consensus. That would be the worst music board ever.

>give their shitty opinions
That's all you've been doing retard.
>>
>>66029898
Just spreading some daily hate. Gotta get back to work now but it was fun.
>>
>>66028266
I agree with this.
I see /mu/core as both a list of memes and a list of great albums. Although I don't enjoy all /mu/core albums (e.g. Trout mas replica) but I also like a lot of the albums there.
P.S. There is literally nothing wrong with using /mu/ core to find new albums/artists. Anyone who criticizes people for using /mu/core is a pretentious elitist hipster.
>>
>>66029907
Hows your summer job?
Do you help out at the local grocery store?
>>
>>66029933
inb4 anon lies about having a high-powered job when he is clearly retarded.
>>
Before I leave I'd just like to say that /mu/ is one of the better boards out there but the cancerous tripcode niggers are just sad.
>>
>>66029962
No one defended trips in this thread, and no one ever will.
>>
>>66029933
>>66029946
I'm actually a lawyer. I was actually taking a shit so I was just shitposting to pass some time.
>>
>>66029946
>>66029991
Like clockwork, and he actually replied to the post predicting his lies.

Dude all edgy teenagers that come on here from /b/ act exactly the same, stop lying.
>>
>>66030024
I'm on my phone and back on my desk. I kept the thread open. Anyway, I don't care if you believe me or not. I'm 33, a lawyer, small practice but still a lawyer. I'm studying to become a judge but I don't think I'll pass the exam anytime soon. Alas, I have to go back to work now. It's 15:45 and I didn't do anything today.
>>
>>66030095
>33
>shitposting as a time-passer

jesus christ dude you really should kill yourself
>>
>>66030095
Jesus this reads like a bad fanfiction.
if you don't care stop replying.
Top tip: Boasting about your nonexistent high powered job to try to show how insignificant we all are to you does not make us think you dont care.
>>
Bump to btfo hipsters
>>
>>66028822
>>66028920

this +i think of both artists as somewhat average, though kanyes production does rise above consistently good pretty often
>>
>>66028266
I agree strongly. You bring up The Beatles and people start to freak out. It all comes from insecurities. They want to be "special" and unique so they hold on to something "obscure." Yet they are really isolating themselves from others. The truest patrician thing to do is accept things as they come, keep searching.
>>
Top post. Honestly couldn't agree more.
>>
>>66030152
haha you dumb cunt
>>
>>66030486
Jesus this is really sad. You're 33, putting this much effort into an argument on /mu/ that started with you pointlessly shitposting.

I don't think i've ever come across a sadder specimen my whole time browsing /mu/
>>
>>66030486
Why are Brazilians such rampant shitposters?
>>
lets lift the veil on shitposting
>>
>>66028266
Agree.
>>
I don't shit on the /mu/core, but it is exhausting seeing the same albums on that chart over and over again when I've only enjoyed a couple. It makes me feel like I'm missing out. My favorite albums are all pretty unpopular here and sometimes I wish they were more well-known.
>>
>>66030559
Still better than stralia.

>>66030537
I'm really tired, didn't do much today. Shitposting can be fun.

I got banned just now for posting a gif with a kid and a toy. Lel
>>
>>66029823
>Royer SF-12
I record bats ans ostriches with a Nagra II, kys fag
>>
>>66030693
Talking about stralia, here it is boys.
>>
>>66030633
I agree it is exhausting. If you scroll up this thread, I actually wrote something about the over-saturation with /mu/core on the board and how, in spite of this thread, the constant threads about the same albums is still annoying.

See >>66028935
>>
I thought /mu/core was just entry to have a scope of the boards most discussed.
>>
underage cunts
>>
>>66030486
nice bruh.
how do judges get assigned in brasil?
in the states, federal judges need an appointment (which, from my understanding, is given pretty much just to federal or state prosecutors), while state judges could be elected or appointed, depending on the jurisdiction. but i don't think there is any other qualification (like an exam from the BAR).
>>
>>66029962
word. my heart actually goes out to those guys a little bit, just because you don't end up doing that if you are a happy, psychologically healthy/clear-eyed person
>>
>>66028266
YES YES! You understand!! /mu/core brought us together and actually had us you know discuss music. Now we're all just shitting on each others bands to be LE OBSCURE MUSIC ELITE
>>
>>66030773
In Brazil, you take an exam. A pretty fucked up exam in three stages: one multiple choice, second written and third oral. We have different exams for state, federal and a separate court for work related issues.
>>
>>66028756
Some people are new to some albums and didnt get to be part of all the hype so they are basically just late to the party. For example Im one of the people always making AnCo threads because i fell in love with them this year
>>
>>66030775
I find the need to have an identity here bizarre.
>>
>>66030751
That is what /mu/core is, but they became that "entry" because they were so popular in the spectrum of critical evaluation of music, that it was a logical place to start.

Your statement doesn't really undermine anything said in OP.
>>
>>66029962
gall moth was cool tho
>>
I agree. that said i think a lot of the resentment comes from the fact that a lot of posters really do seem like they have been here for less than a year (maybe a lot less), yet will sit there and talk like this stuff is their life. for me it is not about hipness exactly, I just hate when people put on airs.

speaking of which, some of you guys really overwrote your posts, holy fuck
>>
>>66030817
Assuming you're the same guy, now you've stopped shitposting, care to share an actual opinion on OP?
>>
>>66030952
I think people feign dislike for fun. If not, if it's just to try and act like some musical elite bullshit hipster, it's just beyond retarded.
>>
>>66030950
This was also addressed earlier.

See what I wrote here, I believe this is relevant. >>66029119
>>
I think a certain kind of elitism (ideally not derogatory) is necessary for any community that wants to divorce itself from mass culture and the marketplace to focus on aesthetic, rather than commercial, value.
>>
>On Hipsterism and Musical Discovery
>>
>>66030799

okay, well, we've discussed mu/core. now some people want to discover other music and discuss that.
mu/core is canon, its a common musical background which we all share. but its just a start. people exploring other music and broadcasting it on these boards is decried as hipster elite-ism, as some sort of one-up-manship, but this is only true if one defines his self worth as being connected to the cool and eclectic music he listens to.
you kids need to stop projecting, and realize that you aren't the music you listen to-- that you are more than just the art you like.
>>
>>66031062
It was a tongue-in-cheek title because I've done a lot of philosophy and that's how they start all of their articles.
>>
>>66031078
oh ok im not familiar with psychology. any good articles i should read
>>
>>66031072

>people exploring other music and broadcasting it on these boards is decried as hipster elite-ism

This thread has emphasised the importance of discovery and looking past /mu/core. No one is saying that listening beyond /mu/core, and preferring obscure albums to /mu/core is a bad thing.

It's a criticism of a mentality and hostility, not a criticism of what kind of albums you like or want to talk about.

>realize that you aren't the music you listen to

Not sure what that is supposed to mean. You are the music you listen to as well as a ton of other things. You aren't only the music you listen to, but I don't think that's a relevant criticism to pretty much any argument in this thread. All this is is a discussion regarding /mu/ and the people who use internet music boards.

You may need to expand on what you meant by that.
>>
>>66031060
this is correct.
>>
>>66031120
Is this a bad shitpost or did you actually misread "philosophy" as "psychology"
>>
>>66028507
>ect ect.
and so on
>>
>>66031060
Hmmm, very interesting.

I understand the domain of critical evaluation of music has at the core of it, a form of elitism. This elitism you are right, is essential from separating from commercial value.

I don't think OP is at odds with this. I think OP thinks there is a permissable level of elitism, and then a level of elitism that becomes idiocy. This second level of elitism being one that rejects albums purely for their mainstream quality rather than rejecting albums that happen to be mainstream. Arbitrary elitism, basically.
>>
>>66028822
because it has nothing sonically interesting to it except for the math rock. if I wanted to listen to emotionally sincere music I would listen to Nick Drake rather than emo
>>
can someone point out who is trolling in this thred and who isnt
>>
File: mushellnut.jpg (37 KB, 640x236) Image search: [Google]
mushellnut.jpg
37 KB, 640x236
>>66029206
my favorite post on the entire board to date
>>
>>66031401
I'm trolling.
>>
>>66031439
I respect the honesty here lol.
>>
I mean we're relatively not as patrician as /lit/ but at least we have more claim than /tv/.
In the pointless and stupid battle of poptimists vs poseurs I'd rather be poseur and I think most people on this board would be anyway.
>>
>>66031497
?? who asked
>>
>>66031497
holy shit that was irrelevant. thanks.
>>
>>66031120
http://www.pnas.org/content/109/6/2138.short
http://www.pnas.org.sci-hub.cc/content/109/6/2138.short
>>
>>66031172
>No one is saying that listening beyond /mu/core, and preferring obscure albums to /mu/core is a bad thing.
>LE OBSCURE MUSIC ELITE
i think the second quote, from the post i commented on, does suggest exactly that.

>I don't think that's a relevant criticism to pretty much any argument in this thread

well, forgive me for enlarging the circle of discourse(!). and i do think its relevant to the issues discussed in this thread, because it seems to me that when people are keen to cultivate an image of themselves as defined by what music they like (in conjunction or opposition to what others like), it leads some to an " aimless quest to have the most original looking music library"; AND/OR it leads some to label the musical tastes and explorations of others (above), as embarking on an " aimless quest to have the most original looking music library." the first group are 'hipsters', but the second group are hipsters of a different sort: they buy into the rules of the game (of the value of cultural capital/ what they consume defines them), but they just aren't good as good at it as the first group. so, like OP, they write up think pieces defending the kind of explorations they make as "proficient and consistent; (leading to) a maximal state of musical enjoyment"-- as authentic-- while vilifying those who are dare denigrate the sacred texts of mu/core-- those who happen to be more musically adventurous.

but if this is beyond what you deem the purview of the thread to be, and if the arguments herein boil down to 'there should be less shitposting on /mu/', then yes: i think that's nearly trivially true, and nothing more needs to be said about it.
>>
>>66031497
Few people on /lit/ actually know what they're talking about. 90% of them just read the hot book of the month like Stoner or The Recognitions and pretend to know what they're talking about. There are a few decent ones, sure, but they're lost in a sea of crossboarding shitposters. I would recommend reddit over that board at this point.
>>
>>66031998
OP here.

I don't think the second group is an encapsulation of my position at all. I was never labelling the musical tastes of others as "embarking on etc."

My criticism had nothing to do with musical tastes. The OP was not to criticise people who prefer obscure albums to /mu/core. It wasn't a think piece on taste or preference of albums.

What I was saying was, I believe there are such people who like obscure albums for the reason of "embarking on etc.".

Now, I definitely do not look at anyone with a unique music taste, and doesn't like /mu/core, and think in my mind "he's embarking on etc.". I put somewhere earlier in this thread that me illuminating this mentality, of people who do "embark on etc.", is to do with the tone and level of hostility in which people treat their own unique musical taste and dislike for certain albums in /mu/core.

I see how OP could be read ad promoting some form of meta-elitism against those who dislike /mu/core and brand them all as people who "embark on etc." But I think this is a misreading.

Once again, OP was absolutely not vilifying those who hate /mu/core and look beyond it. OP stressed looking past /mu/core and being adventorous. Furthermore, the method which lead to "maximal state of musical enjoyment" was not the "authentic" way. It was just, in my opinion, a way I see in which people would get more enjoyment. I wasn't professing this way to be gospel, it just seems common sense to me that an overall positivity when evaluating albums, and avoiding disliking things for any reason other than the content of the music, is the best way to go.
>>
Here is where OP pointed out he wasn't vilifying people who hate /mu/core just based on the fact they hate /mu/core
>>66028785
>>
as someone relatively new to /mu/ (just over a year) and currently expanding their tastes by trying out different /mu/core, there is nothing wrong with /mu/core

there's nothing wrong with having a favourite album that is /mu/core

there's nothing wrong with using it to introduce yourself to new music

there's nothing really wrong if it's all you listen to (though personally i would seek to expand my tastes)

at the end of the day it's just a relatively arbitrary collection of a lot of good albums
>>
File: 1467086886813.png (400 KB, 520x517) Image search: [Google]
1467086886813.png
400 KB, 520x517
>>66028817
>80% of this chart
>>
bump for actual sanity on moo
>>
a certain amount of elitism is healthy for a board
we wouldn't want to end up like /tv/
>>
>>66034198
OP has also discussed a healthy amount of elitism.

See >>66031348
>>
>>66033374
I agree.

>at the end of the day it's just a relatively arbitrary collection of a lot of good albums
Yeah, but as far as I'm concerned, a lot of them are albums that I grew up with, during high school, by listening to the stuff Pitchfork recommended in their top 300 albums from the 70s, 80s and 90s. And MPP was hyped by P4K when I was 17.

Yeah, It's just a set of albums, but I guess you need to have at least an idea of how all these /mu/core albums sound like to understand some of ours memes.
Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.