[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is his solo music such shit, people always say Johnny Marr
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Johnny_NME.jpg (513 KB, 1000x1240) Image search: [Google]
Johnny_NME.jpg
513 KB, 1000x1240
Why is his solo music such shit, people always say Johnny Marr made The Smiths but his solo music is so bland.
>>
There are different skills that go into making music. One skill is songcraft, and another is musicianship. Johnny Marr is a master musician with tons of imagination and an incredible level of skill with the guitar. But that doesn't mean he has any vision for songcraft. It's a pretty regular occurance for a great musician to leave a band, then make underwhelming solo material. If you want to be good at any skill, you need to practice. Through The Smiths Johnny Marr practiced the guitar to perfection. He has an amazing understanding of how to use the guitar to maximum effect. But the thing is, he didn't have to consider lyricism, vocals, or rhythm/low end, because that was covered by other members of the Smiths, who were all extremely talented. So while he was incredible with the guitar, he was mediocre at these other musical components that he wasn't so practiced with.

Or at least that's how it works with most people. To tell you the truth, I don't know Marr's solo stuff at all.
>>
>>65855799
>band chemistry
>>
>>65855799
>not liking Easy Money
I want reddit to leave
>>
>>65856398
Not the OP, but I'm so tired of Reddit being the default insult everybody uses for any statement they disagree with.
>>
>>65855799
the smiths were so great due to both marr and morrissey. both their solo work is kinda shit
>>
>>65856738
Eh Morrissey's solo stuff was good much better than Johnny's but not as good as The Smiths.
>>
>>65856398
That song's catchier than anything Morrissey has ever put out.
>>
>>65856813
>catchy
>therefore good

off urself my man
>>
>>65856894
careful not to cut yourself on all that edge
>>
>>65856398
if anything marr is a reddit artist
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.