[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
prove me wrong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 5
File: daws.png (216 KB, 1500x487) Image search: [Google]
daws.png
216 KB, 1500x487
prove me wrong
>>
nothing really patrician about ableton, it's basically the gold standard right now. not really that familiar with logic.

i'd say:

plebeian: ableton
contrarian: fl studio
patrician: bitwig
>>
Logic is a simpler alternative to Pro Tools. If you are a solo singer songwritter there isn't really any need for Live.
>>
How the fuck can you be so wrong

>Plebeian
FL
Garageband

>Dad
Protools
ACID

>Normie
Logic
Ableton
Reaper

>Contrarian
Cubase
Reason

>Patrician/Tryhard
Max/Puredata/Gleetchlab/all other obscure niche music software (yeah they're not full DAWs you autist)

>Literally all of the above
Audacity

I have NEVER met someone IRL who uses Ableton who doesn't produce shit-tier 'prog-house'
Fuck the meme that it's anything below chad
>>
>>65825745
I make Drone with Ableton
>>
>>65825768
if only I knew you irl
>>
>>65825745
You're actually a patrician if you make really good music on garageband or audacity.
>>
>>65825795
A) Audacity is every category, including patrician
B) yeah making good music with Garageband is pretty damn impressive (see Cross) but 99.99...% of its users are 12 year olds
>>
>>65824830
>Patrician / Industry Standard
Cubase
Protools
Logic Pro

>Plebiaen / Ameturs only
FL Studio
Garageband
ACID
Ableton

>Contrarian
Reason
MAX/MSP
Reaper
Sibelius ;^)
>>
>>65825745
i met andy morin irl once, he uses ableton
>>
newest versions of FL have literally no drawbacks when compared to ableton. I want this meme to end
>>
>>65825745
FUCK I forgot to add Renoise to 'contrarian'

>>65825908
I want to doubt you, but that is believable

>>65825908
I am very impressed with FL's performance mode. Really blows Live out of the water as far as price is concerned.
>>
>>65825930
oops, second response was meant to be for >>65825889
>>
>>65825889
no analog synths?
>>
>>65825966
Not the guy you're responding to but from what I can tell he almost exclusively uses samples
>>
>>65825930
>I am very impressed with FL's performance mode
it really is pretty fucking good. I guess when people think about fl they're still thinking about earlier incarnations of the software (up to 8.0 I'd guess) that were literally toys and full of glitches. the popularity it achieved due to its playfullness and easy of use gave the developers freedom to do their thing and turn it into a powerhouse. it's as powerful as ableton and, imo, has a way better workflow. the only thing missing is something akin to max for live, that would be a nice feature
>>
>pleb
fl studio

>contrarian
audacity

>patrician
sibelius
>>
If you use a DAW in general you're a fucking pleb. Patricians record everything physically and use actual sequencers, sybthezisers, samplers, drum machines, etc.
>>
>>65826023
>patrician = rich
well I guess you're not wrong
>>
Godking Reason power user here, ask me anything.
>>
>>65826022
audacity is barely a daw..

>people hating on fruits bc kids can make dubbystepps with it
>>
>>65826022
>>patrician
>sibelius
thank you
>>
>>65826052
how do i make good music
>>
>>65826138
Never make orchestral memewave, learn your place in the world.
>>
>>65826198
>orchestral memewave
not him, but what the actual fuck is this supposed to mean
>>
>>65825745
>>65825878
>>65826022

im an established dubstep/DnB artist that uses FL studio

i have over 40k followers on soundcloud, some of my best tracks that have been featured on youtube have well reached over 1m views, and i have just recently signed another track over to monstercat

you mad plebs? fl studio master race
>>
>>65826328
james feraro's new albshit
>>
>>65826364
this made me feel good until i saw

>monstercat
>>
File: Ck-cTxMWUAQ7_nr[1].jpg (67 KB, 1131x1200) Image search: [Google]
Ck-cTxMWUAQ7_nr[1].jpg
67 KB, 1131x1200
>>65826328
>>
>>65826389
>>65826405
you mean AOTY?
>>
>>65826364
general tibs and triks?
also why can't i make the sequencer loop in 3 beats or something other than default?
>>
>>65826364
>dubstep/DnB artist that uses FL studio
>proving my point
>>
>>65826364
do you even make money? be honest
>>
just because fl is used by shitty artists doesn't mean it's a shitty DAW

it has a lot of great features (piano roll, good audio editor, good mixer once you get used to it) and is fun to use. don't discount it just because it has a reputation of being baby's first music program.
>>
All DAWs by now are pretty fucking great. I've been a logic user (orchestral / film score) since 5.5, now on 10.2, and far too entrenched to switch. If I started again, I would have probably ended up on ableton. But to change now would just be nonsensical. I have found my workflow, and it works brilliantly. Most of you guys feel the same way.

At a certain point, you find what works for you, and you stick to it.
>>
I don't understand Max
>>
>tfw you can make the same shit in any decent DAW.
this argument was put to rest a long long time ago.
>>
>>65826364
>you mad plebs? fl studio master race
eh I mostly use FL too. Its a great DAW. its just not industry standard and people still laugh at it.

I do paid film soundtrack work with FL studio, just use nice VST orchestral libraries and no one will notice
>>
>>65826780
how do you get a job like that? i'm a musician that would like to stop doing shows and releasing albums and do scores and sound stuff but i have no idea how to make the transition, i've been approached before by film makers but they always want to use stuff i already put out
>>
>>65826829
I'm not that guy, but I have gotten these jobs before. It started for me ONLY by knowing a shit load of people and getting referrals when people were in the 'panic mode' and needed a composer.
>>
>>65826829
why would you rather do that than play shows? jw
>>
>>65826911
did you have like a portfolio of instrumentals or something to show or was it really just word of mouth?
>>
>>65826949
be home and compose for film/tv would be ideal desu
>>
>>65826953
One beast clyp that showed I wasn't a complete asshole got passed around. Word of mouth above all.
>>
Hey almost completely unrelated (I say almost because all I've worked on music-wise has been done in Ableton), what length might be considered "too long" for a first album?
>>
>>65826995
you shouldn't be making an album if you're asking this

albums should be pieces that form a whole, not a mixtape of your songs
>>
>>65826995
I'd say to play it safe and keep it around 30-40mins
>>
>>65826829
Get to know directors and producers, do some jobs for free for student film makers, be involved with film school and music school, have a music degree, get involved with film making competitions, ideally annual ones so you start to form a strong bond with a group of film makers.

I did a "48HR film competition" with a group of 5 or so years, once a year we would have 2 days to write, shoot and edit a film, it was a national competition with prizes etc, and good fun, everyone gets together at the end and watches all the films at a cinema.
This same group started to get serious and formed a film making society, doing jobs for clients, and since I was their go-to composer, I started getting paid too.

Ideally you get to know film makers when they're students, and ride their coattails throughout life as they become proper filmmakers, and you become their go-to, and the films you work on give you exposure for other directors and producers.
>>
>>65827023
It is a whole I'd like to think, tells a semi-cryptic story even, believe it or not. Just the problem is that I've been working on a lot of music over the last several months and a lot of it isn't shit, and right now I'm looking at around 3 hours or a bit more for the final product. Which I think may be a bit extreme, unless you're into Autechre or something.
>>
>>65827026
fuk, that's like as short as you can get while still being able to consider it an "album" though. Any lower and it ventures into definite EP territory.
>>
>>65827047
i'm too old to take that path i think
>>
>>65826995
100 minutes
>>
If you care more about the reputation of your DAW on /mu/ than just using what works best for you to make your music, you're a fucking idiot and please stop making music all together, you insufferable contrarian.
>>
>>65825745
>(yeah they're not full DAWs you autist)
What's your arbitrary criterion for full DAW?
>>
>>65825745
This is extremely accurate.
>>
>>65825745
i make vapowave, drones, ambient and noise with ableton as well as underground house/techno.
>>
just came along to take a look at the nobs who still think that using a certain DAW automatically makes you superior. You literally don't know the basic essence of sound and music if you truly believe in this nonsense. It is understood when people compare really hardware but comparing DAW(at least the modern day DAWs we have now) is pretty stupid. They can all really do everything and it's only a matter of choice and workflow. Somethings are more 'easily' achieved on some DAW's but doesn't mean you can't do it on another. It might just need more work but if you truly care about music then you will work hard to achieve it even it takes one extra day. I have never met any serious producer who actually thinks people who use a certain DAW over an other are better or worse. Really makes me think if /mu/ is totally noob or just bored. Remember, legendary and complex material like Aphex Twin and Autechre's music was produced on I don't know what in the 90's when they didn't have computer let alone as diverse DAW's. I automatically assume you are a noob if you don't think I am right.
>>
File: 2sOJldj.jpg (25 KB, 259x383) Image search: [Google]
2sOJldj.jpg
25 KB, 259x383
>>65826364
>monstercat
>you mad plebs?
>>
>>65825494
>muh linux
hah olrite lad, hbu write yr own daw then come back post again
>>
File: 1451332063943.jpg (263 KB, 1881x1206) Image search: [Google]
1451332063943.jpg
263 KB, 1881x1206
>>
File: trumpworld.jpg (31 KB, 363x361) Image search: [Google]
trumpworld.jpg
31 KB, 363x361
>>65825768
me too
>>
>>65827052
what kind of music is it
>>
>>65827101
There's literally nothing wrong with 30 minute albums.
>>
>>65824830
I can't
>>
I've had my music appear on 3 /mu/ makes an album releases, all to high praise
>"its perfect"
>"that ending track [mine] with a pleased looking george costanza picture , another anon replied with a photo of a pleasured looking man

I use FL studio and my knowledge of theory is limited to things like cadences, dissonant and constant intervals, but nothing really beyond that

hope this helps
>>
where do you all pirate this stuff? because I cant find any helpful links
>>
>>65830529
just would like to add that all of these tracks were admitted to the album without me even having a get
>>
I sometimes ask what DAW people use out of curiosity, it's cool to see how peoples work flow differs. At the end of the day just use what works best for you. Pretty much all the major DAWs are fully featured now.
>>
what should i use if im an absolute beginner
>>
>>65831762
Ableton, famigo
>>
i use FL but if i started over i might go with ableton. at this point i'm too lazy to restart everything and move all the samples and shit i have over
>>
>>65824830
ableton is just as plebeian as fl studios mate who are you fooling
>>
ableton is just fl studio for insecure bedroom producers

>b-but the guy on the forum laughed at FL studio! better for me to have a slower workflow than to be laughed at!
>>
People act like FL Studio is Windows Movie Maker, but it's really more like Sony Vegas.
>>
>>65825745

I use FL but I don't think i've used any of the synths or plugins sounds for years, I try as much as I can to just manipulate samples
>>
WHAT is the point of using Cubase when I cant write my own fucking synths? fuck.
>>
>>65824830
who fucking gives a fuck?
>>
>>65826995
it should be fit on one side of a C90.
>>
What DAW is best if I wanna make stuff that's similar to The Avalanches' music? Leaning more on the early El Producto material.
>>
i want to make movies like tarantino what camera should i use?
>>
>>65833731
windows movie maker
>>
>>65833731
audacity or mpc 1000
>>
>>65825745
this list is correct. I would only add:

>Literally no one
SONAR
Studio 1
Digital Performer
>>
>>65824830
all three are just as easy to obtain

FL isn't as recording based I dont think
>>
>>65824830
so wrong.

Plebeian: Ableton
Contrarian: Logic X/9
Patrician: Pro Tools

>>65825745
Max is a music video game for progammers. no one actually uses it to make music. Also Reason is Plebeian and Cubase is just a Logic reskin.
>>
is it weird to do percs on FL and everything else on ableton?
>>
>>65832605
we should post the after results and ask people to guess what program made them
>>
>>65834870
no. I don't know why anyone would just limit them self to one DAW if more are easily available.
>>
>>65834949
not a bad idea desu
>>
>>65834725
actually, I use studio one from time to time. It's not bad to be honest, but it uses a lot of CPU.
>>
>>65830155
who said anything about linux
>>
>>65835798
>bitwig
>>
>>65832554
audacity is wmm
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.