[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who has a music degree here? Do you think you needed it? What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: music-degree-300x145.png (8 KB, 300x145) Image search: [Google]
music-degree-300x145.png
8 KB, 300x145
Who has a music degree here?

Do you think you needed it?

What did you learn, someone else couldn't?

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
>>
>Who has a music degree here?
Bachelor of Music here. I majored in production, jazz composition and arranging.

>Do you think you needed it?
No. Itt has been useless in finding me a job. That said, I really enjoyed studying for it and I wouldn't be the same person I am today without it.

>What did you learn, someone else couldn't?
A lot. For example, different types of voicings when arranging for a sax section. (Like I said, useless.)

>Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
I try not to think about my future, or lack thereof. If I have to answer: working in a completely unrelated field when some brave business owner decides to hire my unqualified, inexperienced ass. Earning just enough to cover my fuel expenses.
>>
>>65449324
nope

I really hope not dont wanna waste my money and time

I hope I have taught myself

Hopefully with some sort of studio either producing music or mixing it down

senpai plz tell me this is doable without a music degree I want to apply to interships at studios but I have nothing to offer should I just be straight up and tell them yo I need teaching but I can clean up make the coffee run errands and be all around bitch boy?
>>
>>65450429
help a lil nig out bump
>>
>>65449324
Music Education, will eventually pursue Doctorate in Music Theory, Musicology, or maybe Conducting.
For everything that I want to do of course.
If you think people can properly learn Serialism, a comprehensive sense of Music History, etc. from outside university you're an idiot.
>Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Well I'm not that great with my grad school knowledge, so I can't totally answer that. I'm just seeing where music takes me.
>>
File: 1464985042069.jpg (25 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1464985042069.jpg
25 KB, 640x360
>music degree
>liberal arts degree
>gender studies degree
>>
working on getting a music degree, jazz performance from a top 5 school in this field (not a joke school like berklee)

for performance no one cares if you have a degree but it is a really really good way to learn alot from amazing musicians if u go to a good school and make the most of your time (practice 4 plus hours a day, find a mentor, etc.)

you will learn a lot more in school then not in school

idk where i see myself in ten years but it looks promising since i perform and teach in two very well known jazz cities routinely

what it comes down to is only study music if u cant possibly imagine yourself being anything close to happy working in anything else cause it is fucking hard. no shit it is much much harder than other degrees if u take it seriously and dont just do the minnimum to get good grades. also if ur doing performance, practice a ton starting now and develope a concept for who u want to be as a musician and go to a really good fucking school like if u dont get into to what are considered some of the best in the world then u might want to take a year off and practice more or rethink
>>
>>65449324
Yep. Performance degree.
Nah. I probably should have kept music as a hobby and majored in something real.
Not much but I learned a lot someone else probably wouldn't. It was all stuff I could have easily learned through independent study/private lessons but probably wouldn't have. That and there were experiences playing/working with other peers and in ensembles that I probably would never have had the opportunity to otherwise.

I make roughly $1000/week now teaching lessons and playing professionally so it's enough to get by ok but I've had some pretty difficult times financially in the past.

In 10 years I'd probably like to be teaching at a university.
>>
>>65452222
Oh and to clarify, I probably would not have gotten any of the teaching positions I've held without my degree or MANY years more experience performing. And teaching is where I make 75% of my income.

If you want to teach you should probably get a degree. If you want to perform it's probably not worth it, just find a great teacher to give you private lessons.
>>
>>65452222
you cant make it on 1000 dollars a week you must be doing something wrong
>>
>>65453507
>you cant make it on 1000 dollars a week
?
>>
>>65450309
>I try not to think about my future, or lack thereof

kek

if youre good atleast you could teach music to plebs for cash though
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.