[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Centipede Hz
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: f738b519.jpg (106 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
f738b519.jpg
106 KB, 630x630
/mu/ thoughts on Centipede Hz?

Feel like it's the least talked about album on here.
>>
>>65362185
Not the best AnCo album, but it's still a solid 7/10 for me. Some of the songs feel very phoned-in. But Amanita and Pulleys are fantastic (even better live though, check out Live @ 9:30, it's really something)
The acoustic version of Wide Eyed is much better than the album version.
It's a pretty great album, but some songs are just forgettable. Although desu I like playing Rosie Oh on my acoustic and singing like Panda Bear.
I still can't decide whether it's better or worse than PW (which I also though was about a 7/10, not their best but still great). They're pretty different in execution.
I really hope that they change the formula for the next album, and Deak comes back and they let him be a part of the writing process. He showed some serious chops on Sleep Cycle.
>>
>>65362350
Im 4 tracks in and i'm loving it. I've only got two AnCo albums left, CHZ and PW, and so far CHZ is up there for me.

It's not as groundbreaking as STGSTV sure but, damn it's enjoyable to listen to.
>>
>>65362185
it's a really difficult album for me to talk about. i've actually listened to it more in the last 6 months than the last 4 years combined, and there's admittedly a fair amount to like about it, and yet there's something so deeply, unsettlingly morose and, dare i say it, bland behind the whole affair that i can't bring myself to seriously recommend it to anyone but the most diehard AC fans.

the strongest point for me is no doubt the lyrics, which make the physical release worth buying, as i have yet to find 100% accurate ones online anywhere.
>>
>>65362185
Much, much better than most people give it credit for. Nowhere near there best, but still really good. If it hadn't have been the follow up to their most acclaimed album it might have been received better. It was a bit of a grower though, and I'm hoping PW will be as well.
>>
>>65362487
be sure to check out the solo stuff too. Panda Bear's Person Pitch and Avey Tare's Down There are my personal favorites.
Also Deakin's Sleep Cycle of course.
The live album I mentioned came out earlier this year or last year and is really fantastic (Live @ 9:30)
and I don't think anything they could do could surpass Spirit, but yah never know right.
>>
File: 1313955240202.jpg (86 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
1313955240202.jpg
86 KB, 500x379
a decent album whose downfall was being released after Pet Sounds 2

CHZ = In Rainbows
PW = King of Limbs

next one is gonna be a banger, anco's moon shaped pool, and deak will rejoin for that album cycle
>>
>>65362634
I've heard a lot about Person Pitch. I'm saving it 'til last because everyone keeps telling me it's up-there.

Personally my favourite is definitely MPP, Spirit second, Feels third, then maybe this one. I'm really liking it.

Any bands similar to AnCo you could rec?
>>
>>65362663
Sure man. Alvin Band, Rubik, El Guincho, Miniature Tigers is pretty similar but more pop.
Some people say Astro but I don't really get the connection as much as I like them.
As for Person Pitch, it's definitely an incredible album in it's own right, but it's pretty different from any AnCo albums.
Personally I have a really hard time deciding what my favorite albums by them are. It depends on my headspace. But it's usually something like:
Sung Tongs>Spirit>Feels
as well, if you haven't been listening to the EP's I highly recommend them. Fall Be Kind is better than MPP in my opinion, and all the others are just full of great music. Prospect Hummer, Water Curses, People.
And as one last thing:: if you havent, listen to Safer (the B-side of Peacebone single I think)
I hadn't even heard of it until a couple weeks ago and i've been listening to these guys for years. It's an incredible song.
>>
>>65362663
>>65362913
also check out Raccoo-OO-oon if you like the noisier more experimental AnCo.
>>
>>65362959
>>65362913

Well, I liked Danse Manatee so I guess so lol.

Thanks for all the recs man, will get on them. Also na, am yet to hear the EPs so something to look forward to.
>>
>>65363007
no problem man. It's nice to share music I enjoy.
>>
>>65362185
It's the most difficult AnCo album to process, I think. The songs themselves are really good, though long, yet the atmosphere isn't as bright or poppy as their previous several albums. It's almost like MPP but with the theme of Danse Manatee, if that makes sense. It seems like they realized this, and think they went a bit too far, which is why PW is so short and sweet.

I don't know how, but I found it extremely replayable, moreso than any of their albums, and I'd say it's still a very good release that deserves more credit.
>>
>>65363172
Yes I totally get that feeling. It's like MPP's dark, forgotten cousin album.

Still catchy, poppy, replayable, but not as happy or sunshiney.

All I can say is I loved it.
>>
>>65362185
Great album, if MPP is god-tier headphone music then CHZ is god-tier speaker music. I love all the transitions and weird radio sound scapes going on. I think it's weird that it got criticised for being too cluttered and having too much going on when that could be applied to most Animal Collective albums. I liked that they got back into some early AC higher frequencies again. Overall I like it a lot but still not in my top 5 Animal Collective albums, CHZ lands somewhere in the middle of their discography for me
>>
>>65363506
>CHZ is god-tier speaker music

you def get a better sense of what they were trying to do w/ the mix
>>
I actually fucking love it. Unlike other people I really like the sounds and samples, I just feel like some of the songs are pretty weak (rosie oh, father time, pulleys).
>>
>>65363999
rosie oh is the best song on chz tho
>>
>>65362185
i like it a lot, some great songs on there

i avoided it for a while when i first started listening to them because it had such a bad reputation, but it's actually pretty great
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.